Confirmed Signing with Link: [TBL] Tampa Bay re-signs Stamkos (8 years, $8.500M AAV) - Part II

Rayban*

Apr 21, 2013
Ottawa
Listening to his interview today the guy sounds so passive on the whole thing. I think he'd have been a terrible fit for the Toronto hometown hero role, i think he was just letting his agent run the show and finally put an end to it because he didn't want to leave Tampa.

danielpalfredsson

youtube dot com /watch?v=CdqMZ_s7Y6k
Aug 14, 2013
Listening to his interview today the guy sounds so passive on the whole thing. I think he'd have been a terrible fit for the Toronto hometown hero role, i think he was just letting his agent run the show and finally put an end to it because he didn't want to leave Tampa.

Maybe it dragged out so long because he thought Tampa would eventually budge off their 8.5M offer.

You also have to consider that they came within a game of another cup final. That was recent enough that it might have helped re-affirm that he should stay.

Rayban*

Apr 21, 2013
Ottawa
Maybe it dragged out so long because he thought Tampa would eventually budge off their 8.5M offer.

You also have to consider that they came within a game of another cup final. That was recent enough that it might have helped re-affirm that he should stay.

Yea i think that's probably what they were thinking.

koeltrain

Oct 27, 2005
E-town
Tax evasion?
I don't even care about the extra advantage to winning (don't remember what it's like), but 60 of 68 million of the contract in bonus money? I hope someone goes to jail for this. White collar crime out in the open if you ask me.

koeltrain

Oct 27, 2005
E-town
Nor does the team take out taxes.

The only way the playing field you're talking about is really possible is if we move all 30 teams to Toronto. This is like Edmonton fans complaining about all the sunny weather in other cities.

There are a lot of reasons why a player may or may not want to play in a city. Taxes are one of them.

Never been West I see. We have more sunny weather than a person can handle, it's just -20C and sunny. Temperature doesn't even tell the whole story.... Conneticut at 5C feels much colder due to humidity.
Back to Stamkos - Florida is great for weather ;)

mazmin

Wig like a mink skin, soft like Twinkie dough
May 15, 2004
Winnipeg
I think the players parents are the ones funding their youth hockey.It costs at least $10,000 a year to play AAA in the GTHL.The arena owners(government)charge rent for ice time and it's not cheap.Hockey Canada also charges a fee to register a team,but that is nothing compared to the actual cost.

Exactly why my son will never play in the NHL, it's become an elitist sport and I can't afford it on a single income. Sucks too because my son is goin to he huge, athletic and both his parents are high level Personal Trainers.

If hockey Canada wants us to continue to pump out new talent they'll need a way to subsidize it.

Whatever Finland started doing 10 years ago is clearly working. If we don't adopt a new model Canada's dominance in hockey with quickly deteriorate. In 25 years future power will be USA, Russia, Finland, Sweden while Canada will be in that second tier.

Sky04

Jan 8, 2009
Tax evasion?
I don't even care about the extra advantage to winning (don't remember what it's like), but 60 of 68 million of the contract in bonus money? I hope someone goes to jail for this. White collar crime out in the open if you ask me.

You still pay taxes on a signing bonus genius.

koeltrain

Oct 27, 2005
E-town
Exactly why my son will never play in the NHL, it's become an elitist sport and I can't afford it on a single income. Sucks too because my son is goin to he huge, athletic and both his parents are high level Personal Trainers.

If hockey Canada wants us to continue to pump out new talent they'll need a way to subsidize it.

Whatever Finland started doing 10 years ago is clearly working. If we don't adopt a new model Canada's dominance in hockey with quickly deteriorate. In 25 years future power will be USA, Russia, Finland, Sweden while Canada will be in that second tier.

No need to raise taxes on working people to have better hockey players. You put yourself in your current situation. Why do people expect everything should be given to them? Teach your son to have a good work effort and he could help with the cost (as he gets older).

LTIR Trickery

Plz stop pucks
Jun 27, 2007
Scrip Club
Tax evasion?

You might want to read up on some tax codes...

LTIR Trickery

Plz stop pucks
Jun 27, 2007
Scrip Club
Less than my rate...

Hint: I don't make 8.5 million

If you don't understand why the structure of the deal is shady, I won't be explaining it for you any further

You can try and use that line to establish some kind of false sense of authority in this case, but you're wrong, and what you're describing isn't tax evasion.

TBL12345

May 19, 2015
NY, NY
Less than my rate...

Hint: I don't make 8.5 million

If you don't understand why the structure of the deal is shady, I won't be explaining it for you any further

You clearly are the one who does not understand the structure of the deal. Pursuant to the Collective Bargaining Agreement, this deal structure is permissible. It is uncommon, however, because owners inherently would like to invest their cash in other places until absolutely necessary to incur the expense. Thankfully for the Lightning, Jeff Vinik is a great man and one of the best owners in the league. So the deal structure, of course - and as you have have alluded to - is beneficial for Stamkos, who obtains his compensation in bulk on the front end of each season and will be paid a majority of his compensation outside of the standard payment schedule. Again, this is permissible under the Collective Bargaining Agreement - and it has no impact on Stamkos' AAV. Ultimately, this is up to the owner to decide whether to offer a player an additional enticement. But it does not offer a competitive disadvantage. Every owner in the league has the right to structure a deal like the recent Stamkos one. It nonetheless depends on an owner's willingness to do so. Not many owners in the NHL or any other professional sports franchise are like Jeff Vinik, who truly is a class act and one-of-a-kind.

Stop being salty.

BoltSTH

Sep 4, 2008
Tampa
The signing bonus is subject to federal tax, but considered earned in the state of Florida, so the away games the Bolts play where they is sate and/or city taxes that has to be paid using an annual $1m salary. So the tax savings are for about 36 away games.
Not sure if it is the salary, total compensation, or cap hit that is used for escrow.

Iceman

Jun 9, 2014
Tampa fans have been absolutely slagging Stamkos for awhile when it appeared he wouldn't be back with the team. Most were in favour of Stamkos leaving to make room for the other players on the team that will need deals.

Yet this thread has mainly been about these fans getting on Leafs fans for hoping he'd come north.

What about all the crap you were saying about Stamkos? That he's lost a step, isn't the same player, not worth much beyond 7m/yr if that at all.

Many also said he was the forth or fifth best player on the team.

I get the sense that most of you are happier that he didn't go to Toronto over totally screwing your cap and forcing you to part ways with Kucherov, Palat, etc., in the near future.

No - why so salty really?

He has not been a top 3 player on this team since his leg injury, which means that he is probably the 4th or 5th best player on our team. No matter where he signs, in comparison to the other players on the Tampa squad, he has played like the 4th/5th best player on our team since 2014.

That's why people didn't want to sign him to an albatross of a contract because that would kill our depth long term (i.e. losing Killorn and maybe Bishop).

We didn't think he was worth $10.5m, which was the going number for the most time. He still isn't, no matter if he plays in Tampa, Toronto or for the HC Kunlun Red Star.

People have been split on the new Stamkos deal since day 1, there is no consensus opinion that he would not be worth $8.5m in Toronto but would be in Tampa. He has lost a step, thanks to injuries and what not. Nobody is lying about that - We are just being honest, that's why people are still cautious about his new contract, I mean, it's pretty damn long.

To be honest, maybe it's you who are just disappointed that the homecoming story fabricated by Canadian media didn't come true? :)

koeltrain

Oct 27, 2005
E-town
You might want to read up on some tax codes...

I really don't care to read tax codes in a country I don't live in. I get that you want to defend the deal, but you don't seem to care that he is paying less than a FAIR share. Tax codes only benefit the rich. This is not being salty about you signing Stammer - keep and enjoy him.
I have a feeling attitudes about taxes are much different in your country, so it's fine if we don't see eye to eye. That's about as much as I feel like getting into this on a touchscreen tablet though. Again...enjoy Stamkos

ThunderAlleyNomad

Aug 24, 2009
I really don't care to read tax codes in a country I don't live in. I get that you want to defend the deal, but you don't seem to care that he is paying less than a FAIR share. Tax codes only benefit the rich. This is not being salty about you signing Stammer - keep and enjoy him.
I have a feeling attitudes about taxes are much different in your country, so it's fine if we don't see eye to eye. That's about as much as I feel like getting into this on a touchscreen tablet though. Again...enjoy Stamkos

Well the bolded is quite a step back from tax evasion and shady dealings isn't it? That's what you were alleging earlier.

DFC

Sep 26, 2013
NB

He was very likely trying to get Yzerman to budge, or just making sure he could live with the discount he was giving the Lightning (if any). In the end though, the lesson we've learned, yet again, is you just don't enter a staring contest with Steve Yzerman. You will lose.

Beukeboom Fan

Feb 27, 2002
Chicago, IL
Visit site
Its a SALARY CAP. Teams should not have an inherent unfair advantage on the SALARY that players make. The most important peice is the take home pay. How is this difficult.

The cap was established primarily to create a sustainable financial model for the league, and secondarily to reduce the disparity in the competite balance, not eliminate it.

To truly make it fair, ever team would have the same salary budget for front office, coaching, and scouting. They'd also have identical facilities, tax situatons, and climate. That is obviously impossible, so to whine about it just make posters look like whiny little *****es.

Bottom line, SS made a personal choice that IMO showed what was important to him - where was his best chance to win the Cup. As a fan of the league, I love seeing that, and if the situation was reversed (26 YO Matthews potentially leaving as a UFA to sign in AZ) I think that most ML fans would agree.

koeltrain

Oct 27, 2005
E-town
Well the bolded is quite a step back from tax evasion and shady dealings isn't it? That's what you were alleging earlier.

Not really. Evading paying your full share. You can get your legal definitions out, but that just protects people that don't want to pay the same percentage as the average joe. Here it would be over 50% tax if I earned that. He'll pay....15%? Only about 3 million/year difference.

DFC

Sep 26, 2013
NB
Never been West I see. We have more sunny weather than a person can handle, it's just -20C and sunny. Temperature doesn't even tell the whole story.... Conneticut at 5C feels much colder due to humidity.
Back to Stamkos - Florida is great for weather ;)

:laugh:

I have indeed never been west. Should have chosen better words. ;)

ThunderAlleyNomad

Aug 24, 2009
Not really. Evading paying your full share. You can get your legal definitions out, but that just protects people that don't want to pay the same percentage as the average joe. Here it would be over 50% tax if I earned that. He'll pay....15%? Only about 3 million/year difference.

Yes really. I'm sorry, but when you're accusing somebody of tax evasion, words matter, legal definitions matter, it's not semantics.

TBLightningFan

Apr 20, 2004
Tampa

No, Florida is aligned to pull tax from tourists to the benefit of its residents. Sales taxes, hotel taxes, etc is where we get away without an income tax. Although real property tax can be high (thankfully not on vehicles)

The last thing we want is the cap to bend at the whim of politicians. One change in law, an additional tax and suddenly a team can be massively over the cap at no fault of their own. Federal taxes change yearly. Imagine fed taxes change a lot for some reason and half the league is now over this tax adjusted cap.

Last edited:

The Assclown

Dec 7, 2015
No - why so salty really?

He has not been a top 3 player on this team since his leg injury, which means that he is probably the 4th or 5th best player on our team. No matter where he signs, in comparison to the other players on the Tampa squad, he has played like the 4th/5th best player on our team since 2014.

That's why people didn't want to sign him to an albatross of a contract because that would kill our depth long term (i.e. losing Killorn and maybe Bishop).

We didn't think he was worth $10.5m, which was the going number for the most time. He still isn't, no matter if he plays in Tampa, Toronto or for the HC Kunlun Red Star.

People have been split on the new Stamkos deal since day 1, there is no consensus opinion that he would not be worth $8.5m in Toronto but would be in Tampa. He has lost a step, thanks to injuries and what not. Nobody is lying about that - We are just being honest, that's why people are still cautious about his new contract, I mean, it's pretty damn long.

To be honest, maybe it's you who are just disappointed that the homecoming story fabricated by Canadian media didn't come true? :)

Not disappointed. I mean, sure, having Stamkos would have been just perfect for the Leafs, but they're doing great things and rebuilding. This takes time and as a fan I've already accepted that it'll be a couple of years before the Leafs are back in contention.

Not salty at all: just pointing out the double standards and ridiculous posts that are glorified sighs of relief that he didn't come to Toronto.

People are dreading the Leafs will be good. Not getting Stamkos really doesn't change that they have a great future. :)

Iceman

Jun 9, 2014
Not disappointed. I mean, sure, having Stamkos would have been just perfect for the Leafs, but they're doing great things and rebuilding. This takes time and as a fan I've already accepted that it'll be a couple of years before the Leafs are back in contention.

Not salty at all: just pointing out the double standards and ridiculous posts that are glorified sighs of relief that he didn't come to Toronto.

People are dreading the Leafs will be good. Not getting Stamkos really doesn't change that they have a great future. :)

Well, you have a better future without Stamkos. He is not very good these days. :sarcasm:

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad