Confirmed Signing with Link: [TBL] Tampa Bay re-signs Stamkos (8 years, $8.500M AAV) - Part II

The Macho King

Back* to Back** World Champion
Jun 22, 2011
You do realize the nhl owned the coyotes And the big market teams propped them
Up right?

And you're benefiting by the NHL talent that comes from it.

It is a long term investment to increase both fans and talent. And it is working. Ghost is from Florida. Matthew's is Arizona.

Stop complaining and stop stealing Arizonas talent.

Legion34

Jan 24, 2006
And you're benefiting by the NHL talent that comes from it.

It is a long term investment to increase both fans and talent. And it is working. Ghost is from Florida. Matthew's is Arizona.

Stop complaining and stop stealing Arizonas talent.

One player. Yep. Thats worth the millions that big market teams shell out

Legion34

Jan 24, 2006
Big market teams profit from a healthy league. A healthy league needs competition.

But I mean, it's not like the Leafs were tearing it up before the cap era.

The big market teams were. Its not a leafs/stamkos thing. Its a if you want fairnesss and equality thing make it fair and equal. Not have an 8 million dollar contract worth 12.

Im not against the cap. Its how many advantages do teams
Want?? I would rather a 73 million cap and limits. Competitive team, league parity. Why should i have to pay double when my team cant be double?

Legion34

Jan 24, 2006
You people do realize that Tampa's average attendence finishes in the top ten in the league almost every year and beats a LOT of northern teams', right? For example this past season we were 8th in the NHLp and beat out (among others) Stanley Cup winners Pittsburgh; Canadian teams Vancouver, Ottawa, Edmonton, and Winnipeg; and Original Six members Boston and NY Rangers. In fact "mighty" Toronto averaged a grand total of 66 fans per game more than we did. Methinks Leaf fans should stop *****ing.

A mildly competitive leafs team would sell out an arena triple the size

DFC

Sep 26, 2013
NB
The big market teams were. Its not a leafs/stamkos thing. Its a if you want fairnesss and equality thing make it fair and equal. Not have an 8 million dollar contract worth 12.

Im not against the cap. Its how many advantages do teams
Want?? I would rather a 73 million cap and limits. Competitive team, league parity. Why should i have to pay double when my team cant be double?

I thought the endorsements would be worth more than the tax savings anyway?

How bout this? We'll make our players pay Canadian taxes if you don't allow them to take big market endorsements?

Legion34

Jan 24, 2006
I thought the endorsements would be worth more than the tax savings anyway?

How bout this? We'll make our players pay Canadian taxes if you don't allow them to take big market endorsements?

The endorsements would be for sure. Stamkos chose tampa, he left money on the table. That's his choice. Most leaf fans don't really care. It is the bigger issue of the unfair advantage that is systemic.

Thats dumb. There is no inherent advantage to having an endorsement contract in toronto or tampa, other that the popularity and fan support.

There is a fundamental difference between government tax laws that provide a uniform advantage that is unrelated to the fan support or success of the team. If Toronto can sign people based on endorsements because of fans supporting the team, i see nothing wrong with that. If other fans want players, support the team.

I see nothing wrong with you having a porsche and me having a honda, if you are willing to pay for the porsche and I am only willing to pay for the honda.

The problem I have is that I have to pay for "you" (not tampa) to drive the porsche while i get the honda.

To recap.

1.) I am not against the cap, league parity or competitiveness.
2.) I don't care that stamkos chose to try to win in tampa then come to the last place team. I

What I do care about is that I have to pay more money and prop up other teams. Then other teams can get an unfair advantage in terms of take home pay. That is a legitimate issue. People saying stop whining because it works for them is disrespectful.

If you want fair, it has to be fair.

Snow Dog

Victorious
Jan 3, 2013
GTA
So you want everything capped or nothing capped. You want the same $12 beer in every arena, the same $125 sweater, the same $7 nachos. What are you, a Communist?

Here's a hint - vote out the politicians that dare spend public money on youth sports programs when those ungrateful brats will never sign back in Toronto. Have all the kids wander the streets or have private organizations finance the rinks and leagues and everything else.

What a team charges is what the market will bear. In Toronto, they charge more because people will pay more, regardless of the quality of the product on the ice. What team has ever lowered prices during a rebuild because they are going to field a 50 loss team? It doesn't happen.

If you don't like how sports works in North America, then don't support it. But to make the claims that you have is mind boggling. The intention of youth sports is not to create professional hockey player, as strange as that sounds. It is to provide youth with an outlet for athletic competition, where they learn all about fitness and team work and team building. If you think that is a waste of money because the spoiled brats forsake your hometown NHL team, then, wow, just wow...

It is always amazing what you'll read in HFBoards. And never in a good way.

:shakehead

I think the players parents are the ones funding their youth hockey.It costs at least $10,000 a year to play AAA in the GTHL.The arena owners(government)charge rent for ice time and it's not cheap.Hockey Canada also charges a fee to register a team,but that is nothing compared to the actual cost.

Snow Dog

Victorious
Jan 3, 2013
GTA
The endorsements would be for sure. Stamkos chose tampa, he left money on the table. That's his choice. Most leaf fans don't really care. It is the bigger issue of the unfair advantage that is systemic.

Thats dumb. There is no inherent advantage to having an endorsement contract in toronto or tampa, other that the popularity and fan support.

There is a fundamental difference between government tax laws that provide a uniform advantage that is unrelated to the fan support or success of the team. If Toronto can sign people based on endorsements because of fans supporting the team, i see nothing wrong with that. If other fans want players, support the team.

I see nothing wrong with you having a porsche and me having a honda, if you are willing to pay for the porsche and I am only willing to pay for the honda.

The problem I have is that I have to pay for "you" (not tampa) to drive the porsche while i get the honda.

To recap.

1.) I am not against the cap, league parity or competitiveness.
2.) I don't care that stamkos chose to try to win in tampa then come to the last place team. I

What I do care about is that I have to pay more money and prop up other teams. Then other teams can get an unfair advantage in terms of take home pay. That is a legitimate issue. People saying stop whining because it works for them is disrespectful.

If you want fair, it has to be fair.

We should also factor in the cost of living in each city as well as desirablity to live there.

Legion34

Jan 24, 2006
We should also factor in the cost of living in each city as well as desirablity to live there.

Its a SALARY CAP. Teams should not have an inherent unfair advantage on the SALARY that players make. The most important peice is the take home pay. How is this difficult.

DFC

Sep 26, 2013
NB
Its a SALARY CAP. Teams should not have an inherent unfair advantage on the SALARY that players make. The most important peice is the take home pay. How is this difficult.

So taxes count, but endorsements don't? Okay.

DFC

Sep 26, 2013
NB
The team doesnt pay endorsements.

Nor does the team take out taxes.

The only way the playing field you're talking about is really possible is if we move all 30 teams to Toronto. This is like Edmonton fans complaining about all the sunny weather in other cities.

There are a lot of reasons why a player may or may not want to play in a city. Taxes are one of them.

NarcoPolo

Jul 16, 2012
So are Tampa fans happy with this deal? It's been a lot of throwing stammer under the bus for the past while and a lot of posters thought 8.5 was an overpayment.

The Assclown

Dec 7, 2015
Tampa fans have been absolutely slagging Stamkos for awhile when it appeared he wouldn't be back with the team. Most were in favour of Stamkos leaving to make room for the other players on the team that will need deals.

Yet this thread has mainly been about these fans getting on Leafs fans for hoping he'd come north.

What about all the crap you were saying about Stamkos? That he's lost a step, isn't the same player, not worth much beyond 7m/yr if that at all.

Many also said he was the forth or fifth best player on the team.

I get the sense that most of you are happier that he didn't go to Toronto over totally screwing your cap and forcing you to part ways with Kucherov, Palat, etc., in the near future.

ltpato

Feb 27, 2015
MTL
So are Tampa fans happy with this deal? It's been a lot of throwing stammer under the bus for the past while and a lot of posters thought 8.5 was an overpayment.

Nobody tought 8.5 was an overpayment, they tought that 10.5 was an overpayment.

TheDoldrums

May 3, 2016
Kanada
The only way the playing field you're talking about is really possible is if we move all 30 teams to Toronto. This is like Edmonton fans complaining about all the sunny weather in other cities.

Huh? You could adjust each team's salary cap figure to their specific tax situation, to effectively give every team the same amount of take home money to spend.

I don't think they would ever do that. I don't think they should ever do that. Just saying, it's not impossible.

CupsOverCash

Jun 16, 2009
I don't think he has necessarily played like an 8.5 mil dollar player the last couple of seasons but he has done a lot to deserve that much. It's not like he was handed that deal.

The problem was after the injuries he just wasn't the same player he was when he was scoring 50 60 goals. When you look at it from a big picture pov, 8.5 isn't bad. There were teams wanting to throw 10.5 mil or over at him.

TB got him at a nice discount but let's also not act like this isn't a deal that is probably fair for him. Has had some bad injuries, his play has declined a bit. I think with a new, mature and improved Drouin attached to him for a full season I could see his numbers get getter.

Scoring goals was never his problem though. It's him making the smart plays and decisions. If he can clean up his mistakes and not disappear so much in big games I think we will have a bargain at 8.5 but we will see.

I'm happy he's back but the contract could come back to bite the team. I do have faith in SY though. He has been amazing for this team. If anybody could make this work it's him.

Hockeyfan02

Oct 10, 2002
Pistivity
Visit site
Has the difference in taxes ever been brought up before this deal? Unless I'm mistaken I don't believe the Lightning have gotten much of a discount on some of their past FA signings(Carle, Ohlund, Filppula) because of it.

Geoff72

Mar 25, 2015
Toronto
Has the difference in taxes ever been brought up before this deal? Unless I'm mistaken I don't believe the Lightning have gotten much of a discount on some of their past FA signings(Carle, Ohlund, Filppula) because of it.

No, it hasn't, and every Leaf fan made sure that it was not an issue leading up to his free agency. Now all of the sudden, it's not fair. Boo ******* hoo. :shakehead:

TheDoldrums

May 3, 2016
Kanada

Pretty sure it was mentioned when Callahan signed.

tjs*

Mar 18, 2016

First of all nobody ever threw Stamkos under the bus. Everything we said about him is true: he's not the player he was before the leg injury, he's a one-dimensional goal scorer whose one dimension has declined since he stopped crashing the net and turned into a perimeter player offensively, he doesn't have good on-ice chemistry with most of his teammates, he doesn't fit Cooper's possession offense and turns the puck over far too often, he disappears for long stretches during the regular season, he's a passenger in the playoffs, and we have several players who have been more valuable to our success in recent years. Despite what you fans of other teams keep insisting for the ridiculous and thinly veiled purpose of bashing Lightning fans nobody was saying those things because we thought Stamkos was leaving, but because they're true...PERIOD. We've all said repeatedly that we respect Stamkos greatly as a person and as a leader but many of us believe that his on-ice contributions are simply not worthy of such a large and cap hell-inducing contract - particularly when we have some many other players to resign who have been more crucial to our success.

Second I'm one of the few on the Lightning board who hates this signing and thinks $8.5M is still far too much for what he brings to the table and who we'll likely have to lose to keep him. Personally I thought letting Stamkos walk and either trading Bishop or keeping him for one last Cup run before letting him walk as well was the way to go - that way we could have retained our core while having the cap flexibility to improve our depth somewhat. And if we were going to resign one of those two I'd much rather have had it be Bishop. But nevertheless we're stuck with him, so I just hope he can convince enough others to take paycuts to limit the damage as much as possible and that Drouin might be able to help Stamkos enough to at least not take a massive bath on his contract. I'm not looking forward to seeing us lose the sort of guys I expect we'll now have to lose, however.

Legion34

Jan 24, 2006
Nor does the team take out taxes.

There are a lot of reasons why a player may or may not want to play in a city. Taxes are one of them.

How can you be this foolish? There is no popularity cap or endorsement cap or night life cap. There is a salary cap. That is how the league chose to make parity. If you are going to make parity you have to make it the same. If they dont want it to be the same then thats fine. Then the big market teams can spend more.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->