Confirmed Signing with Link: [TBL] Shattenkirk to TB (1 year, $1.75M)

Rschmitz

Finding new ways to cheat
Feb 27, 2002
Tampa Bay
Shattenkirk makes Schenn redundant. He doesn’t make Rutta redundant.

Well I guess Schenn could be useful for the Crunch at least.

Rutta is an offensive defenseman, just like Shattenkirk. Except Shattenkirk is far superior.

Schenn is is a physical defensive minded defender, nothing like Rutta or Shattenkirk.

How does Shattenkirk make Schenn redundant but not Rutta?

ccman68

Dec 9, 2017
Rutta is an offensive defenseman, just like Shattenkirk. Except Shattenkirk is far superior.

Schenn is is a physical defensive minded defender, nothing like Rutta or Shattenkirk.

How does Shattenkirk make Schenn redundant but not Rutta?

Because Schenn isn’t an NHL level player but Rutta is.

aufheben

#Norris4Fox
Jan 31, 2013
New Jersey
The problem isn't his offensive game; it's his atrocious defense. Washington benched him for a reason in the playoffs. I'd like to see you guys well, and frankly Schenn is a much better player at this point in their careers.
It's really not, though. Is that month he spent in Washington two years ago the last time people have seen Shattenkirk play? Because I see it brought up frequently, and given quite a lot of weight, too. I definitely can't blame anyone for not tuning in to many shitfest Rangers games recently, but this, as well as the fact that I haven't seen much discussion about how he is playing now, hasn't diminished the thought.

I mean a lot of Rangers fans were/are actually pretty pissed off about losing him, and it's not because he's some trash-can-on-skates that only touches 5v4 ice (whatever numerous flaws the Rangers currently have, a shortage of right-handed defensemen to man power plays is not one of them).

That said, it will be interesting to see what kind of season he has offensively in Tampa. It's easy to take a Google fly-by and see the 28—womp-womp—points, but in 73 games, shooting 1.4%, and stockpiling a grand total of 2 secondary PP assists...f***'s sake just reading those numbers makes me think of sad puppies. Could be interesting. Could also... not be, but...

I'm sure you've got a chart saved somewhere just ready to prove your point to the world, but Rutta is not an NHL level player.
To be fair, Luke Schenn is one of those players whose charts are so appalling that even if you consider advanced stats unimportant, it's enough to give you pause, lol. And I'm just talking about shot locations, not regularized adjusted expected standardized whatevers/60.

Yo you guys want a depth defenseman who's reliable in his own end, give Freddy Claesson a call. He's a former-Ranger and played a bunch with Shattenkirk last season; that's the full package right there.

Last edited:
Reactions: Rschmitz

ccman68

Dec 9, 2017
I'm sure you've got a chart saved somewhere just ready to prove your point to the world, but Rutta is not an NHL level player.

Fine I won’t even use advanced stats at all. In 80 games between 2 years for a terrible Chicago team Rutta was only -1. He also scored a solid 26 points for a bottom pairing guy. Schenn on the other hand does not help a team’s offense at all and is a career -55.

But sure you saw Rutta turn the puck over a couple of times and since you don’t understand a f***ing thing about hockey you’ve decided Rutta sucks. Be ready to be disappointed when our coach who knows way more than you gives Rutta playing time once again.

God King Fudge

Championship Swag
Oct 13, 2017
Fine I won’t even use advanced stats at all. In 80 games between 2 years for a terrible Chicago team Rutta was only -1. He also scored a solid 26 points for a bottom pairing guy. Schenn on the other hand does not help a team’s offense at all and is a career -55.

But sure you saw Rutta turn the puck over a couple of times and since you don’t understand a ****ing thing about hockey you’ve decided Rutta sucks. Be ready to be disappointed when our coach who knows way more than you gives Rutta playing time once again.
Thanks for learning me some hockey. I may even know so much one day that I can point to absolutely meaningless stats like +/- and coach usage to prove my bad takes.

ccman68

Dec 9, 2017
Thanks for learning me some hockey. I may even know so much one day that I can point to absolutely meaningless stats like +/- and coach usage to prove my bad takes.

So you don’t want advanced stats but the normal ones are bad as well? I don’t really get what it is you want but I guess next time I will just agree with your opinion since clearly what you see with your eyes is the only truth in this world.

Just stop responding to me. Making me lose brain cells.

Rschmitz

Feb 27, 2002
Tampa Bay

But sure you saw Rutta turn the puck over a couple of times and since you don’t understand a ****ing thing about hockey you’ve decided Rutta sucks. Be ready to be disappointed when our coach who knows way more than you gives Rutta playing time once again.

He averaged over 18 minutes of ice time in Chicago including PP opportunities. That isn't bottom pairing ice time. Coburn scored more even strength points than him with over 2 minutes less ice time per night and no PP time. Rutta is not solid.

I don't think Schenn is a better player than him, but he definitely fits the system better and fills an area of need with the departure of Girardi.

Neither player is someone I'd lose sleep over losing to waivers.

ccman68

Dec 9, 2017
He averaged over 18 minutes of ice time in Chicago including PP opportunities. That isn't bottom pairing ice time. Coburn scored more even strength points than him with over 2 minutes less ice time per night and no PP time. Rutta is not solid.

I don't think Schenn is a better player than him, but he definitely fits the system better and fills an area of need with the departure of Girardi.

Neither player is someone I'd lose sleep over losing to waivers.

Obviously losing him on waivers wouldn’t matter much. We have 6 NHL players either way.

As long as you understand that Rutta is an NHL player. Nothing wrong with over 20 points and decent defense in 18 minutes of ice time on a bad team. I’m not exactly arguing he is a great player just that he is good enough to get the job done on the bottom pair.

And I have no idea what need Schenn fills expect the need for a shit tier defenseman. I feel like he is the kind of guy where you don’t even need advanced stats to see how terrible he is. If he ever plays a game for us you are gonna be wishing it was Rutta out there.

God King Fudge

Championship Swag
Oct 13, 2017
So you don’t want advanced stats but the normal ones are bad as well? I don’t really get what it is you want but I guess next time I will just agree with your opinion since clearly what you see with your eyes is the only truth in this world.

Just stop responding to me. Making me lose brain cells.

Lmao. This guy right here. Imagine being a guy who just posts snips of a chart to back up his "knowledge" and then the best he can do outside of it is +/-. Then when he gets called out for using trash stats and coach usage (as if that means absolutely anything lmao) he just hurls insults.

God bless.

Rschmitz

Feb 27, 2002
Tampa Bay
Obviously losing him on waivers wouldn’t matter much. We have 6 NHL players either way.

As long as you understand that Rutta is an NHL player. Nothing wrong with over 20 points and decent defense in 18 minutes of ice time on a bad team. I’m not exactly arguing he is a great player just that he is good enough to get the job done on the bottom pair.

And I have no idea what need Schenn fills expect the need for a **** tier defenseman. I feel like he is the kind of guy where you don’t even need advanced stats to see how terrible he is. If he ever plays a game for us you are gonna be wishing it was Rutta out there.

I've seen enough of both to know what we are getting. I think you've dug your heels in on Schenn when you really shouldn't be, but you don't seem very open to being convinced otherwise so I'll leave it at that.

Krewe

Mar 12, 2019
Lmao. This guy right here. Imagine being a guy who just posts snips of a chart to back up his "knowledge" and then the best he can do outside of it is +/-. Then when he gets called out for using trash stats and coach usage (as if that means absolutely anything lmao) he just hurls insults.

God bless.
I mean, I think Rutta is a replacement level D at best, but Schenn is not even that, by any metric

Reactions: The Gr8 Dane

DistantThunderRep

Mar 8, 2018
I mean, I think Rutta is a replacement level D at best, but Schenn is not even that, by any metric
I mean Vancouver fans and the Vancouver media were pretty happy with Schenn at the end of the year. Some Vancouver fans were a little upset when he signed with us for dirt cheap. I can say with pretty good certainty that no one feels that way about Ruuta aside from CC and Dom.

I suspect they are the same person and CC might be an alt for Dom.

Reactions: Sila v Kucherove

God King Fudge

Championship Swag
Oct 13, 2017
I don't care one way or another about Schenn. Neither one should get playing time on this team under normal circumstances.

It's the whole "I don't actually watch hockey and have awful opinions in general, but here's some chart I snipped from a website that will let me pretend like I know what I'm talking about even though everyone knows my trash opinions are based off of bar graphs and colored zone maps" that bothers me.

T REX

Feb 28, 2013
Because Schenn isn’t an NHL level player but Rutta is.

I literally laughed out loud. Rutta is trash. He shouldn't be playing unless there's an injury or 5.

Rutta is garbage.

Edit: Back on topic...glad to give Shatty a shot. It is a low risk high reward move.

Reactions: CupsOverCash

Todd1a

Kucherov or prospect
Jun 19, 2014
orlando, fl
I literally laughed out loud. Rutta is trash. He shouldn't be playing unless there's an injury or 5.

Rutta is garbage.

Edit: Back on topic...glad to give Shatty a shot. It is a low risk high reward move.
If we waived rutta do you think anyone would pick him up ? And take his 1.3 avv cap hit ? Shattenkirk is a massive upgrade from him

JAY7791

Jun 22, 2013
Would rather have Schenn as the extra because he brings some nastiness and was solid for the canucks. Rutta is a decent 3rd pairing guy, but we have Shattenkirk already who does his job but better, and Foote on call. Schenn brings more of a need and 700k cheaper.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad