Confirmed Signing with Link: [TBL] Shattenkirk to TB (1 year, $1.75M)

Sens

Jan 7, 2016
How is he going to pad is stats playing 10 minutes or less.. Makes zero sense. People are thinking the guy is going to get top 4 minutes that's just not going to happen if he lasts he will pot maybe 5 goals and have 15 to 20 asst's. He wants a cup and would kiss what ever ass he has to, to do it. I do not like the guy and makes me want to puke seeing him on the roster and the same can be said for Shenn.

"The second half of the year last year down the stretch, I felt and our scouts that watched him play on a regular basis felt that he had bounced back pretty nicely, had really rebounded and was back to his old form," BriseBois said. "And in talking to Kevin, the fact that he's been able to have a full summer of training when he's healthy and confident, we expect him to be a strong contributor for our team this season."

"Talking with coach [Jon] Cooper and some of the players in Tampa, knowing what happened to them last year in the playoffs, I feel like we kind of share that mentality of playing with a chip on our shoulder," Shattenkirk said. "There's something for me to prove individually, but a big reason why I came there is because they're looking to break through.

DaBolts

Stanley Cup Boat Parades ROCK
Feb 3, 2015
The problem isn't his offensive game; it's his atrocious defense. Washington benched him for a reason in the playoffs. I'd like to see you guys well, and frankly Schenn is a much better player at this point in their careers.

I think our defensive style favors his game more. But if he suddenly decides he can't skate or shoot, he'll be riding the pines real quick. Cal Foote is almost ready to come up from Syracuse.

Byrddog

Lifer
Nov 23, 2007
"The second half of the year last year down the stretch, I felt and our scouts that watched him play on a regular basis felt that he had bounced back pretty nicely, had really rebounded and was back to his old form," BriseBois said. "And in talking to Kevin, the fact that he's been able to have a full summer of training when he's healthy and confident, we expect him to be a strong contributor for our team this season."

"Talking with coach [Jon] Cooper and some of the players in Tampa, knowing what happened to them last year in the playoffs, I feel like we kind of share that mentality of playing with a chip on our shoulder," Shattenkirk said. "There's something for me to prove individually, but a big reason why I came there is because they're looking to break through.
I have no doubt that he has something to prove and For what Coop said it is true the young guys did falter some in the post season. But heck our top line was damn near invisible against the jackets as well. There is plenty of blame. I will assure you of this If Shattenkirk does not get top four minutes he is going to be disappointed and his production will be poor. It is a crap shoot if he will be able to get back to 2015 and before performance he is slower than Stralman and Coburn but he does have a booming shot from the blueline. He is a low risk high reward type signing if he can turn around but again history is not on his side. He has broken 50 points just once in his career. He played 73 games last year and had 28 points. Cernak had 16 points in 58 games and deserves the ice time to contribute more this year. Sergi had 32 points in 75 games and is poised for his breakout season. Then you have Heddy, McDonagh, both left hand shots will have Cernak, Shatty, right hand shots and Coburn and Sergi would play off hand in top 4. What they are betting on is that Shatty can be an improvement on Girardi whos point production at 35 had dropped but im still not sold. There is no doubt this roster has a glut of left handed shooting defensemen but there is no way I move Sergi to 3rd pair tio make a place for Shatty. But Coop will for the first 10 games and when it does not work he will go back to the kids playing off hand.

Sens

Jan 7, 2016
Your disregard for Shattenkirk has high potential to age terribly... puts up 10-15Pts his first 20

Shatterkirk is a fantastic skater who got injured... if he’s healthy like he says the skating is a plus asset

Sens

Jan 7, 2016
Kevin Shattenkirk is 'pissed off,' and that could end up...

“You know how Sergachev wants his chance, and now he’s probably rolling his eyes,” Engblom said. “‘What does this mean? Am I off (the power play)?’ He very well could be. Shattenkirk is a really good QB on the PP and once he gets in synch with the guys, he knows how to pass, and I would think that Stamkos and Kucherov are really going to like him. He knows how to create offensive chances on the power play.
“He and Sergachev will fight it out for power-play time. Who knows? They may have three forwards and it could be Shattenkirk and Hedman on the top PP or could be Sergachev and Shattenkirk on the second power-play unit. You don’t have to have just one defenseman.”

Todd1a

Kucherov or prospect
Jun 19, 2014
orlando, fl
Kevin Shattenkirk is 'pissed off,' and that could end up...

“You know how Sergachev wants his chance, and now he’s probably rolling his eyes,” Engblom said. “‘What does this mean? Am I off (the power play)?’ He very well could be. Shattenkirk is a really good QB on the PP and once he gets in synch with the guys, he knows how to pass, and I would think that Stamkos and Kucherov are really going to like him. He knows how to create offensive chances on the power play.
“He and Sergachev will fight it out for power-play time. Who knows? They may have three forwards and it could be Shattenkirk and Hedman on the top PP or could be Sergachev and Shattenkirk on the second power-play unit. You don’t have to have just one defenseman.”
What if you take hedman off the power play and replace him with Sergachev ? I'd rather see hedman play more min's on 5 on 5 hockey! how hard would it be for Sergachev to feed the puck to Point, Stamkos or Kucherov to score goals on the power play ?

Rschmitz

Finding new ways to cheat
Feb 27, 2002
Tampa Bay
The 2 D suggestion for PP 1 is pretty much dead on arrival. If you run 2 D, the impetus of the attack would need to come from the points instead of from Kucherov at the half wall.

You could do it, and turn Kucherov into a shooter, but why would you screw with that? Now, 2 D on the second unit makes a whole lot more sense. First off, you would be less inclined to make personnel changes when you transition to 5 v 5 because you already have your second defender out there, but it would throw an entirely different look at the opposing team to try and defend. It's actually a very good idea.

Reactions: TeslaCoilFan

Leonardo87

New York Rangers, Anaheim Ducks, and TMNT fan.
Sponsor
Dec 8, 2013
New York
How is he going to pad is stats playing 10 minutes or less.. Makes zero sense. People are thinking the guy is going to get top 4 minutes that's just not going to happen if he lasts he will pot maybe 5 goals and have 15 to 20 asst's. He wants a cup and would kiss what ever ass he has to, to do it. I do not like the guy and makes me want to puke seeing him on the roster and the same can be said for Shenn.

Ducks will gladly take Shattenkirk off your hands for 1.75 million.

Reactions: Crunchrulz

TGWL

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 28, 2011
Apparently Anaheim had offered him a 2 year deal worth just north of 4 million and he turned it down.

Report: Ducks offered Shattenkirk 2-year deal worth over $4M

Makes sense he turned it down, TB is in a position to win a cup, Ducks are still re-tooling, and he can pad his stats in TB for this upcoming year and potentially sign an even bigger multi-year deal next season.
Well it was 2ish per year, so it's not hard to imagine a player turning it down for slightly less over 1 year, in a much better situation to get a better contract going forward.

Reactions: CupsOverCash

CupsOverCash

Jun 16, 2009

Why do you hate him so much? Did he kick your dog or something?

Rschmitz

Finding new ways to cheat
Feb 27, 2002
Tampa Bay
He ran out of gas at the end of the season injured and couldn’t play

Being injured and overworked aren't the same thing, he played less last season than any other period over the past four years. If anything changed, it's that his defensive zone starts drastically went up compared to his offensive zone starts, so if there was an area of concern there, I'd focus on giving the other LD more defensive zone starts until the playoffs role around.

TeslaCoilFan

Slightly Elite Fan
Mar 17, 2017
West of the Moon
The 2 D suggestion for PP 1 is pretty much dead on arrival. If you run 2 D, the impetus of the attack would need to come from the points instead of from Kucherov at the half wall.

You could do it, and turn Kucherov into a shooter, but why would you screw with that? Now, 2 D on the second unit makes a whole lot more sense. First off, you would be less inclined to make personnel changes when you transition to 5 v 5 because you already have your second defender out there, but it would throw an entirely different look at the opposing team to try and defend. It's actually a very good idea.

This would make the most sense. Don't want to mess with PP1 as it ain't broke. :P But PP2 would be a good place to try something a bit different with both Sergachev and Shattenkirk.

Aoko

Order has now fallen.
Dec 14, 2017
When I heard this I wanted to vomit. My prediction he will be waived by 1 Nov.
My prediction is he'll be just fine. Girardi but better. Assuming he is fully healthy, he won't be logging top minutes so he'll have more energy and jump. Plus, he's now on a prove it contract. You really think he won't crush it under all these circumstances? Heh.

Bluesguru

Aug 10, 2014
St. Louis

Every time I saw Shattenkirk play in the 2nd half last year, you could tell he took his D seriously and he played very disciplined in his own end. The benching he got last season woke him up.

Bluesguru

Aug 10, 2014
St. Louis
Your disregard for Shattenkirk has high potential to age terribly... puts up 10-15Pts his first 20

Shatterkirk is a fantastic skater who got injured... if he’s healthy like he says the skating is a plus asset

I wouldn’t say he’s a great skater. Skating or speed isnt what makes him, it’s his feel for the offensive game and making plays.

VinikToWinIt

Number 1 Bull****
Jun 15, 2014
South Florida
My prediction is he'll be just fine. Girardi but better. Assuming he is fully healthy, he won't be logging top minutes so he'll have more energy and jump. Plus, he's now on a prove it contract. You really think he won't crush it under all these circumstances? Heh.
Perhaps in terms of time on ice or spot on the totem pole, but Shattenkirk and Girardi play opposite games. Girardi is a solid defensive guy who plays like the puck is a ticking bomb when it’s on his stick. Shattenkirk is a solid puck mover who can chip in on offense/power play but has questionable defensive prowess. I don’t think their usage will be the same stylistically on the Lightning, though their ice time/pairing may.

I guess Shattenkirk is probably more of a “Lightning guy” - whether or not that is a good thing we will have to find out, but he should fit in well with the system we run in my opinion.

LightningStrikes

Champa Bay Lightning
Nov 24, 2009
The problem isn't his offensive game; it's his atrocious defense. Washington benched him for a reason in the playoffs. I'd like to see you guys well, and frankly Schenn is a much better player at this point in their careers.
That’s why we got both. ;)

ccman68

Dec 9, 2017
Shattenkirk makes Rutta redundant, he doesn't make Schenn redundant.

Shattenkirk makes Schenn redundant. He doesn’t make Rutta redundant.

Well I guess Schenn could be useful for the Crunch at least.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad