Confirmed Signing with Link: [TBL] Andrei Vasilevskiy signs extension (8 years, $9.5M AAV)

bigbabybuda

Feb 19, 2014
Canada
He's one of the top 3 goalies in the league and hasn't even reached his peak yet. It's a fair contract and it should only age better over the length of the 8 years. I'd be happy to have a goalie of his caliber and age locked into this contract.

StoneHands

Feb 26, 2013
But when Holtby wins a 1-0 playoff game, where Ovi scores the tie-breaker...guess who's going to get more attention ? Right it ain't gonna be Holtby because it's the way the game is played, doesn't mean he didn't do great to keep his team within the victory reach for 60 minutes.
I'm not disagreeing with any of that but your reply literally has nothing to do with what I said. My post isn't about who gets the attention or credit for wins. The point is, teams win the Cup very often with goalies who aren't considered elite and aren't getting paid $7m+ a year while the same cannot be said for forwards. All you need in net is a solid/good goalie to get hot at the right time. The The fact that 7 of the 10 most productive players of the past decade have won a Cup says it all. This is the first season since the Devils in 2003 that you can argue that the Cup winners didn't have a superstar forward even with ROR scoring nearly a PPG and winning the Selke. Holtby is the only star goalie to win a Cup since Thomas in '11 and even Holtby had a poor season the year they won and almost lost the starting job heading into the playoffs. The point is, teams are smarter to spend big money on forwards, not goalies.

BeingTheThunder

Jul 9, 2018
www.beingthethunder.com
I'm not disagreeing with any of that but your reply literally has nothing to do with what I said. My post isn't about who gets the attention or credit for wins. The point is, teams win the Cup very often with goalies who aren't considered elite and aren't getting paid $7m+ a year while the same cannot be said for forwards. All you need in net is a solid/good goalie to get hot at the right time. The The fact that 7 of the 10 most productive players of the past decade have won a Cup says it all. This is the first season since the Devils in 2003 that you can argue that the Cup winners didn't have a superstar forward even with ROR scoring nearly a PPG and winning the Selke. Holtby is the only star goalie to win a Cup since Thomas in '11 and even Holtby had a poor season the year they won and almost lost the starting job heading into the playoffs. The point is, teams are smarter to spend big money on forwards, not goalies.
A lot of what you say is true, however, it's not often that you have one of the best goalies, one of the best wingers, one of the best centers, and one of the best defensemen in the entire league all on one team. Sure, Vasy might be a little pricey for a goalie but it's more than made up for by the contracts of the others...

razor8

Nov 28, 2017
A lot of what you say is true, however, it's not often that you have one of the best goalies, one of the best wingers, one of the best centers, and one of the best defensemen in the entire league all on one team. Sure, Vasy might be a little pricey for a goalie but it's more than made up for by the contracts of the others...

Well, that turned out well last season. :sarcasm:

CupsOverCash

Jun 16, 2009

Wont disagree with that. I think the Lightning are betting on Vasi to get hot for them in the playoffs more times than he wont. He was a big reason why our series vs Pittsburg went as far as it went. Same with the Caps series going 7 games. I think Vasi is a little underrated in the sense that every one just thinks that the team in front of him is why he is so good. Even though the team has a great offensive system and they score a lot of goals, our defensive structure is overrated and we give up too many scoring chances. In other words, Vasi has to steal some games for us and he does, a lot. So we depend on him quite a bit and normally he comes through for the team. Last playoffs he was bad but then he followed it up and had an amazing world tournament. What you are saying above is true, but I think Vasi can be a guy who can get hot for the playoffs more than he wont. As long as he stays healthy that is.

Also the Lightning pretty much had to do this. They looked for goalies for years after losing Khabibulin in UFA. Finally get Bishop after failed trades left and right. Get Vasi to come in and be a starter as a really young man. To put it shortly, hes been nothing but fantastic sparing the playoff series last year. We werent going to gamble losing him to go looking for a goalie again. Who knows how long that search would have taken. Not to mention that this contract could look like a steal in a few years when goalies are making around the same. Average goalies. As long as he stays healthy during the contract, it will be a really good one. Its risky right now and I get that, but the Lightning didnt want to gamble looking again soon.

StoneHands

Feb 26, 2013
Wont disagree with that. I think the Lightning are betting on Vasi to get hot for them in the playoffs more times than he wont. He was a big reason why our series vs Pittsburg went as far as it went. Same with the Caps series going 7 games. I think Vasi is a little underrated in the sense that every one just thinks that the team in front of him is why he is so good. Even though the team has a great offensive system and they score a lot of goals, our defensive structure is overrated and we give up too many scoring chances. In other words, Vasi has to steal some games for us and he does, a lot. So we depend on him quite a bit and normally he comes through for the team. Last playoffs he was bad but then he followed it up and had an amazing world tournament. What you are saying above is true, but I think Vasi can be a guy who can get hot for the playoffs more than he wont. As long as he stays healthy that is.

Also the Lightning pretty much had to do this. They looked for goalies for years after losing Khabibulin in UFA. Finally get Bishop after failed trades left and right. Get Vasi to come in and be a starter as a really young man. To put it shortly, hes been nothing but fantastic sparing the playoff series last year. We werent going to gamble losing him to go looking for a goalie again. Who knows how long that search would have taken. Not to mention that this contract could look like a steal in a few years when goalies are making around the same. Average goalies. As long as he stays healthy during the contract, it will be a really good one. Its risky right now and I get that, but the Lightning didnt want to gamble looking again soon.
I think lost in the shuffle of my posts is the fact that I do think Vasi is an awesome goalie and I don't see any reason why he can't or won't win a Cup. The fact that they have Kucherov and Hedman locked up for $17.4m when they're really probably worth $20-22m helps. I think what I was trying to say from the beginning is that teams need big chunks of cap to pay their elite forwards and defenseman and can usually get by with a good but not great goalie as long as he can get hot at the right time. It doesn't look like this deal is going to handcuff them too much and you're 100% right, they had to resign him. I don't know how they would be able to sell to their fanbase the idea of letting go of a Vezina winning goaltender just entering his prime when their Cup window is as wide open as it's going to get.

CupsOverCash

Jun 16, 2009
I think lost in the shuffle of my posts is the fact that I do think Vasi is an awesome goalie and I don't see any reason why he can't or won't win a Cup. The fact that they have Kucherov and Hedman locked up for $17.4m when they're really probably worth $20-22m helps. I think what I was trying to say from the beginning is that teams need big chunks of cap to pay their elite forwards and defenseman and can usually get by with a good but not great goalie as long as he can get hot at the right time. It doesn't look like this deal is going to handcuff them too much and you're 100% right, they had to resign him. I don't know how they would be able to sell to their fanbase the idea of letting go of a Vezina winning goaltender just entering his prime when their Cup window is as wide open as it's going to get.

Ive always believed the same that you shouldnt pay your goalie too much because you are right they get hot and cold. I think Vasi is an exception to this rule for the most part because he is normally very good and on his game. That however doesnt mean he will always be that way and thats why this is a gamble I think most would prefer not to make but at the same time, we kind of had to for the reason you stated above. We just couldnt lose him but it could end up being a great deal and we will all be happy by the end. We will find out.

BeingTheThunder

Jul 9, 2018
www.beingthethunder.com
Ive always believed the same that you shouldnt pay your goalie too much because you are right they get hot and cold. I think Vasi is an exception to this rule for the most part because he is normally very good and on his game. That however doesnt mean he will always be that way and thats why this is a gamble I think most would prefer not to make but at the same time, we kind of had to for the reason you stated above. We just couldnt lose him but it could end up being a great deal and we will all be happy by the end. We will find out.
We're signing him long-term because he's young and as he matures I expect him to get "Carey-Price-in-his-prime good" and this deal, after the cap rises several million over the life of this contract, will look fantastic.

DFC

Sep 26, 2013
NB

I think you're forgetting Jonathan Quick, and I think your point is good, which is why it's the standard argument, but I think it's changing.

The thing is, it's really hard to find even a solid/good goalie. If you have one, maybe you're better off than the team who's forced to pay 9.5 to their star goalie. ...BUT, the team IS forced to pay that 9.5, because the alternative is starting over and risking goalie hell. Few teams have endured the kind of goalie hell TB endured before they landed Ben Bishop, and I think that's why even those of us who cringe at this deal still understand it.

I guess maybe teams could trade their star goalies for lesser, but adequate goalies. Not even kidding--it might work. I just don't think that's ever gonna become the standard practice for NHL GMs.

One thing to remember is this really isn't the same as Price's 10m. Because that deal was so outlandish that, all these years later, he's STILL among the highest paid goalies in the league. Whereas, within a couple of years, Vasy's 9.5 is going to be outdone a few times, and, if current trends continue, by the four year mark, when Vasy is hopefully still in his prime, 9.5 is going to be the going rate of a really good second liner.

The deal will be bad if the cap stagnates or if something crazy happens with the new CBA. But salaries keep going up, and it's only a matter of time before 9 is the new 6.

sergejean

Dec 11, 2007
This is a very good deal for a very good goalie. If you consider taxes, he brings home more than Price.

StoneHands

Feb 26, 2013
I think you're forgetting Jonathan Quick, and I think your point is good, which is why it's the standard argument, but I think it's changing.

The thing is, it's really hard to find even a solid/good goalie. If you have one, maybe you're better off than the team who's forced to pay 9.5 to their star goalie. ...BUT, the team IS forced to pay that 9.5, because the alternative is starting over and risking goalie hell. Few teams have endured the kind of goalie hell TB endured before they landed Ben Bishop, and I think that's why even those of us who cringe at this deal still understand it.

I guess maybe teams could trade their star goalies for lesser, but adequate goalies. Not even kidding--it might work. I just don't think that's ever gonna become the standard practice for NHL GMs.

One thing to remember is this really isn't the same as Price's 10m. Because that deal was so outlandish that, all these years later, he's STILL among the highest paid goalies in the league. Whereas, within a couple of years, Vasy's 9.5 is going to be outdone a few times, and, if current trends continue, by the four year mark, when Vasy is hopefully still in his prime, 9.5 is going to be the going rate of a really good second liner.

The deal will be bad if the cap stagnates or if something crazy happens with the new CBA. But salaries keep going up, and it's only a matter of time before 9 is the new 6.
Nope, I don't consider Quick an elite goalie. He's a product of the teams he plays on IMO. He's been great in the playoffs for the most part but that's kind of my point. He's played on a great defensive team for his entire career. A team who has won him two Jennings awards (that's strictly a team award). In '14 when they won it he had a 2.07 GAA and .915 SV% which sounds pretty good until you see that Jones and Scrivens combined to post a 1.88 GAA and .933 SV% and in "18 when they won it he had a 2.40 GA and .921 SV% while Kuemper and Campbell combined for a 2.18 GAA and .930 SV%. Most years his backups had similar or better numbers than him and none of those goalies were young guys that have gone on to have great careers elsewhere. That LA team brough Budaj back from the dead and he put up numbers similar to what we've seen from Quick. That's not to say that Quick isn't good, he is. He's just not an elite goalie.

Otherwise I agree, it's not ideal to pay a goalie $9.5m but I completely understand why they did it and they didn't really have much of a choice. I also agree that he trend is moving more towards handing goalies huge contracts and whether it's the smart or correct move or not remains to be seen.

DFC

Sep 26, 2013
NB
Nope, I don't consider Quick an elite goalie. He's a product of the teams he plays on IMO. He's been great in the playoffs for the most part but that's kind of my point. He's played on a great defensive team for his entire career. A team who has won him two Jennings awards (that's strictly a team award). In '14 when they won it he had a 2.07 GAA and .915 SV% which sounds pretty good until you see that Jones and Scrivens combined to post a 1.88 GAA and .933 SV% and in "18 when they won it he had a 2.40 GA and .921 SV% while Kuemper and Campbell combined for a 2.18 GAA and .930 SV%. Most years his backups had similar or better numbers than him and none of those goalies were young guys that have gone on to have great careers elsewhere. That LA team brough Budaj back from the dead and he put up numbers similar to what we've seen from Quick. That's not to say that Quick isn't good, he is. He's just not an elite goalie.

Otherwise I agree, it's not ideal to pay a goalie $9.5m but I completely understand why they did it and they didn't really have much of a choice. I also agree that he trend is moving more towards handing goalies huge contracts and whether it's the smart or correct move or not remains to be seen.

Yeah. I actually somewhat share your opinion on Quick, including him being a lot better in the playoffs. It's just the word "star" that I guess I objected to, which has a lot more to do with salary than talent. Quick made 5.8m the last time the Kings won the cup, which, at the time, was I believe at the upper tier for goalies. The cap at the time was 64.3m. That's still well under 10%, but I think it qualifies him as a star of the time. Semantics though. On the whole, I agree.

I also think goalies are going to make it very hard for NHL teams not to pay them. Whether or not teams will find a way to push back, I don't know. I guess it's kind of "The Chris Osgood Strategy." And maybe Ken Holland developed a post-cap blueprint in a pre-cap world. It didn't hurt that Osgood, while being a slightly above average goalie, was ridiculously clutch through the Wings' golden era. He'd give up a goal from center ice in the 1st period and then eat a team's lunch in OT.

But I mean... trying to find that perfect middle-of-the-road goalie forces teams to gamble so much that I doubt it'll become the norm. Perfect middle-of-the-road goalies (good enough to win a cup; not good enough to earn big money) might be more rare than elite goalies.

Throw More Waffles

Unprecedented Dramatic Overpayments
Oct 9, 2015
What I constantly hear from people is things like "playoffs is a different game", and "nothing really matters until the playoffs".

So why is it that recent playoff performance isn't part of the equation on contract negotiations?

Vasilevsky was horrible last playoffs. Sure, the whole team was crap... but .850 save percentage?

DFC

Sep 26, 2013
NB
What I constantly hear from people is things like "playoffs is a different game", and "nothing really matters until the playoffs".

So why is it that recent playoff performance isn't part of the equation on contract negotiations?

Vasilevsky was horrible last playoffs. Sure, the whole team was crap... but .850 save percentage?

Yeah, he was pretty bad. But he's one of our guys who has a resume to fall back on. He's the single reason the '16 Pens series and the '18 Caps series went 7 games. So he gets a bit of a pass on last year that a guy like, say, Stamkos, can't quite get. Some guys have a good series or two on their resume, and that's worth a lot. Vasy has that already.

StoneHands

Feb 26, 2013
Yeah. I actually somewhat share your opinion on Quick, including him being a lot better in the playoffs. It's just the word "star" that I guess I objected to, which has a lot more to do with salary than talent. Quick made 5.8m the last time the Kings won the cup, which, at the time, was I believe at the upper tier for goalies. The cap at the time was 64.3m. That's still well under 10%, but I think it qualifies him as a star of the time. Semantics though. On the whole, I agree.
When Quick last won a cup was the first year of that $5.8m cap hit contract which was 9th in the NHL among goalies which isn't bad. It's also important to note that although they did win the Cup in the first year of that contract, they haven't won a single round in the playoff and have missed the playoffs completely in 3 of the last 5 seasons. I guess you're right though, I shouldn't have used the word star, instead I should have just said elite or something but I didn't want to confuse being elite in the playoffs (which is basically a necessity to win) with being considered elite because of regular season play.

I also think goalies are going to make it very hard for NHL teams not to pay them. Whether or not teams will find a way to push back, I don't know. I guess it's kind of "The Chris Osgood Strategy." And maybe Ken Holland developed a post-cap blueprint in a pre-cap world. It didn't hurt that Osgood, while being a slightly above average goalie, was ridiculously clutch through the Wings' golden era. He'd give up a goal from center ice in the 1st period and then eat a team's lunch in OT.

But I mean... trying to find that perfect middle-of-the-road goalie forces teams to gamble so much that I doubt it'll become the norm. Perfect middle-of-the-road goalies (good enough to win a cup; not good enough to earn big money) might be more rare than elite goalies.
It's tough and goalies are starting to make that push for more money which is funny considering starts seem to play less than in the past. It used to be routine for top goalies to play 70+ games but it's extremely rare over the last 5-6 years. I think it all comes down to the fact that goalies just don't have that huge gap in talent or at least in results. The 5 highest paid goalies going into this season are Price, Bob, Lundqvist, Rask, and Fleury while the 5 best goalies (my subjective opinion) around the $5m mark are guys like Rinne, Andersen, Lehner, Bishop, and Dubnyk. The 5 highest paid forwards are McDavid, Panarin, Matthews, Tavares, and Kane while the best guys around $5m (again, my opinion) are guys like Marchessault, Tyler Johnson, Lindholm, Galchenyuk, and Trocheck. There's definitely a gap in ability between the top goalies and the $5m guys but when we look at the gap in forwards it's much larger which tells me that the money is better spent on top end forwards rather than top end goalies.

Again, none of this solves the problem of how to manage the situation when you have one of those elite guys up for a contract and I guess it comes down to, as funny as it sounds, you need to get lucky enough to get a good goalie rather than a great goalie so you have extra money to spend on those top end forwards.

I'm a Flyers fan and this is the kind of thing that worries me with Hart. They have such a solid core coming up and while I want Hart to reach his full potential, part of me hopes that he doesn't have an amazing season this year or next because I'd rather him play like a top 10ish goalie and get paid in the $5-6m range rather than play like a top 3 goalie and get $10m or more so that they have some wiggle room with the cap.

Revelation

Aug 15, 2016
Great defense + great goalie leads to diminishing returns. Goalie doesn't see as many shots, gets cold, in the end doesn't provide much more than a decent goalie would (if anything). Whereas great goalie + cheating defense let's the team play risky and abuse their goalie's ability to bail them out to generate more offense.

10M Bob makes sense in Florida 9.5 Vasi won't have the same impact in Tampa

Reactions: Phu

TeslaCoilFan

Slightly Elite Fan
Mar 17, 2017
West of the Moon

Yeah, he was pretty bad. But he's one of our guys who has a resume to fall back on. He's the single reason the '16 Pens series and the '18 Caps series went 7 games. So he gets a bit of a pass on last year that a guy like, say, Stamkos, can't quite get. Some guys have a good series or two on their resume, and that's worth a lot. Vasy has that already.

Like DFC said, Vasy does have some solid playoff history prior to this last season. His first playoff win came on 6 June 2015, when he replaced starting goaltender Ben Bishop twice during the third period of Game 2 of the Finals; he thus became the first goalie in 24 years to win a playoff Final in relief and the first to earn his first career playoff win in relief in the Final since Lester Patrick in 1928. He also played in eight Stanley Cup playoff games in 2016, recording a record of 3–4 to go along with a 2.76 goals-against average and .925 save percentage. In 2018 he played in 17 SC playoff games with an 11-6 record, a 2.58 GAA and a .918 save percentage.

It's also been rumored that he had a LBI that affected him through the 2019 playoffs.

The Red Line

Oct 11, 2010
Sounds like a lot of jealous people in this thread, tbh. He's the best goalie in the game right now, give the guy what he wants and keep him happy, keep winning.

The worst argument being made in here is the "but Price and Lundqvist never won cups with their huge contracts"... as if every team is in the same exact position otherwise. Neither NY nor Montreal ever had the forward and defensive depth that TB currently does, they didn't have anywhere near the quality of management that TB currently has. It is a really stupid argument.

Alwalys

Phu m.
May 19, 2010
The last goalie that made it through a 7+ year deal near top of market without becoming an albatross is ....

Deen

Feb 19, 2010
He's one of the top 3 goalies in the league and hasn't even reached his peak yet. It's a fair contract and it should only age better over the length of the 8 years. I'd be happy to have a goalie of his caliber and age locked into this contract.

Nope. If he blows a knee you're in Rick DiPietro territory.

RationalExpectations

May 12, 2019
The issue is going to be the cap, by how much does it increase next year ? Nobody knows ! TBL still has 11m cap space to sign Point and Erne this year but next year the goalie takes 6m more cap space and they have Cernak and Sergachev to sign... while only getting back 1.8m from Carle s buyout.

TBL is going to have hell of a dilemma at this point. From my perspective, I d rather have Murray at his contract or even Mrazek than Vasil at his contract who may imply that you sacrifice your second defensive line and your 3rd and 4th offensive lines. But that is only my opinion.

Still not as bad as Bob and Price deals given his age ;)

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad