Confirmed Signing with Link: [TBL] Andrei Vasilevskiy signs extension (8 years, $9.5M AAV)

stonec

Nov 21, 2011
Don’t like this contract. Goalies are one position it doesn’t pay to pay. He’s one of the best in the league, but I’d rather save the 3-4mil that position and upgrade another.

It does if the goaltender is good enough. Ask Montreal about how it worked out having Condon in the net compared to Price when he was injured in the 2015-2016 season. Great goaltending can drag an average team into the playoffs.

God King Fudge

Championship Swag
Oct 13, 2017
You must not know a thing about hockey if you actually think that. Also, Gibson does have the best goalie contract in the Nhl, not even debatable.
Yeah, I don't know anything about hockey. You got me there.

Watch out for the Ducks everyone.

DFC

Sep 26, 2013
NB
If we lose Sergachev for picks I won’t bat an eye. He needs to step it up to be worth a big raise on a team that doesn’t need any more offense. Cernak is way more important as a shutdown D, but luckily, those tend to be worth less than offensive Dmen
I wouldn't go quite that far. Sergachev could still catch up to, and surpass, Cernak. So I really don't want to lose him before we see him fully mature. But I hear you, at the same time. It's kind of crazy how valuable Cernak has made himself. He played like a big money D all of last season, and never hit the 20ish game wall, which we've seen with so many guys. Serg included.

StoneHands

Feb 26, 2013
You also don't need PPG top line forwardgroup to win the Stanley Cup, but that doesn't mean that star forwards like McDavid, Crosby, Ovechkin, Kane etc. are overpaid or that you shouldn't give them money. Same goes for defenders...

Yes, goalies have a higher risk than F or D because they are more inconsistent by nature and when they decline they decline fast. However, giving a big 8 year deal to a 25 year goalie who will be in his prime for the whole contract and just won the Vezina, Vasys deal seems quite fair.
The problem with that argument is that Crosby, Ovechkin, and Kane have 7 Cups between them and McDavid is only 22. 7 of the top 10 players in terms of PPG over the last decade (minimum 400 games) have won a Cup. The same cannot be said about the top goalies in the NHL. Goaltending is very important and you need your starter to play really well in the playoffs to win but you don't need a star goalie which is why paying a goalie $9-$10m is a risky move.

KCC

Aug 15, 2007
Dude will probably tank it in a few years and good luck unloading that contract. Then you have binnington making far less and actually carried his team to a cup. Lol. Holy overpayment, Batman. Well, you’re stuck with him now, Tampa.

Filthy Dangles

Registered User*
Sponsor
Oct 23, 2014
There's always gonna be sticker shock when you see a number that high for a goalie and maybe rightfully so.

Tampa seems to always find a way to lock their players up for below market value, here's the exception and it's at the goaltending position.

He's an elite talent and young for the position so don't think it will be a problem. Might just force their hand at moving a good complimentary player or two sooner than they otherwise would've had to (Killorn/Palat/Johnson etc) but they always seem to find a way to replace that production organizationally in-house with their depth.

Luigi Lemieux

Sep 26, 2003
Goaltender is the deepest position in the league, and also the toughest to project long term. Not a fan of a big goalie contract, seems like a waste.

CupsOverCash

Jun 16, 2009
Goaltender is the deepest position in the league, and also the toughest to project long term. Not a fan of a big goalie contract, seems like a waste.

Wonder what Murray's deal will be like next offseason. I know it wont be close to Vasi but he did win 2 cups.

Leonardo87

New York Rangers, Anaheim Ducks, and TMNT fan.
Sponsor
Dec 8, 2013
New York
Expecting something similar to Gibson.

Gibson's career stats are slightly better than Vasi's and he doesn't have the same kind of team in front of him, which is not as good as Tampa obviously. I also thought he'd get closer to what Gibson makes. Oh well. It's good for the Ducks to have a good goalie with such a lower cap hit, since they still need some pieces like a top 4D and will need the cap space.

Aoko

Order has now fallen.
Dec 14, 2017
Don’t like this contract. Goalies are one position it doesn’t pay to pay. He’s one of the best in the league, but I’d rather save the 3-4mil that position and upgrade another.
Tampa felt that way with Bishop. Moved him and wen with Vasilevskiy instead. Clearly they see something incredible special in him to give him Kucherov money.

And why not? He's done everything in this league except win a cup. Once he does that, does that justify the contract? But what if he does it this year before his extension kicks in?

powerstuck

Nordiques Hopes Lies
Jan 13, 2012
Town NHL hates !
The problem with that argument is that Crosby, Ovechkin, and Kane have 7 Cups between them and McDavid is only 22. 7 of the top 10 players in terms of PPG over the last decade (minimum 400 games) have won a Cup. The same cannot be said about the top goalies in the NHL. Goaltending is very important and you need your starter to play really well in the playoffs to win but you don't need a star goalie which is why paying a goalie $9-$10m is a risky move.

But when Holtby wins a 1-0 playoff game, where Ovi scores the tie-breaker...guess who's going to get more attention ? Right it ain't gonna be Holtby because it's the way the game is played, doesn't mean he didn't do great to keep his team within the victory reach for 60 minutes.

Dude will probably tank it in a few years and good luck unloading that contract. Then you have binnington making far less and actually carried his team to a cup. Lol. Holy overpayment, Batman. Well, you’re stuck with him now, Tampa.

Let's see how Bennington handles a 82 season+playoffs before crowning him the king of goalies. He came in January (so half a season).

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad