Confirmed Signing with Link: [TBL] Andrei Vasilevskiy signs extension (8 years, $9.5M AAV)

Deen

Feb 19, 2010
So if it was $9 million for 8 years then its fine? Any long term contract regardless of value has the risk of a player getting injured.

Just not a lot of players getting that kind of contract anymore is my point here.

Tender Rip

Wears long pants
Feb 12, 2007
Shanghai, China
Phew. Conflicted on this one. We have Murray coming up next year who has not had the regular season consistency of Vasi, and has had several injuries, but still has very good numbers with a worse defense - AND 2 cups. I would really dislike having to pay him anything in the vicinity of this.

Dont know that Tampa had a choice really, but that’s a lot of money in a “volatile” position performance wise.

DFC

Sep 26, 2013
NB
Yes, and you do realize that this means more players will have to be moved out and Tampa's overwhelming depth will have to be shipped out, right? No goalie is worth this much. :laugh:
People say this every single year. We were supposed to have to sell the farm to pay kucherov and point too. It cost us JT Miller, who never really had a role with the team, and we got a 1st for him.

I think the days of cheaping out on goalies are over. If you have a good one, he's gonna want to get paid. Vasy is probably the best goalie in the league right now, and he's the 3rd or 4th highest paid. I think, really, we got a bit of a discount here.

BeingTheThunder

Jul 9, 2018
www.beingthethunder.com
Yes, and you do realize that this means more players will have to be moved out and Tampa's overwhelming depth will have to be shipped out, right? No goalie is worth this much. :laugh:
Times they are a changing my friend. If you want a "franchise goalie" you have to pay for it. You can pay for it or just hope you keep getting lucky with cheap, young guys on their ELC. It's good to have the security of locking up one of the best in the league. You can now focus your attention and resources elsewhere.

CupsOverCash

Jun 16, 2009
We "might" have to move Killorn, Palat, or Johnson next season... maybe.

People say this every year. They said this year we would have to sell a bunch to keep Point but here we are with 11 mil in cap space without having to ship out very much at all. Even what we did ship out we got a first out of it. Next year its Killorn, Palat, or Johnson who's role keeps decreasing every year it seems. Some young cheaper player outplays them and takes their spot.

Mick Jagr

Nice guy, tries hard, loves the game.
Jul 11, 2009
Peterborough, ONT
twitter.com
People say this every year. They said this year we would have to sell a bunch to keep Point but here we are with 11 mil in cap space without having to ship out very much at all. Even what we did ship out we got a first out of it. Next year its Killorn, Palat, or Johnson who's role keeps decreasing every year it seems. Some young cheaper player outplays them and takes their spot.

There's a reason why everybody says that and they'll continue to say that until proven wrong.

Binnington
Holtby
Murray
Murray/MAF
Crawford/Darling
Quick
Crawford
Quick
Thomas
Niemi

Every cup winning starter of the last 10 years. None of their cap hits accounted for as large of a % of the cap as that Vasilvesky deal will next year. Yes, he's an elite goalie, but depth throughout the lineup is ultimately more important than an elite goaltender. Just ask Montreal.

CupsOverCash

Jun 16, 2009
There's a reason why everybody says that and they'll continue to say that until proven wrong.

Binnington
Holtby
Murray
Murray/MAF
Crawford/Darling
Quick
Crawford
Quick
Thomas
Niemi

Every cup winning starter of the last 10 years. None of their cap hits accounted for as large of a % of the cap as that Vasilvesky deal will next year. Yes, he's an elite goalie, but depth throughout the lineup is ultimately more important than an elite goaltender. Just ask Montreal.

Theyve been proven wrong several times. We havent had to move out anybody substantial every year when somebody says we will have cap issues. Next year will be tighter but we will find a way to keep our team afloat like we have every year that you guys say we have to blow the team up.

Aoko

Order has now fallen.
Dec 14, 2017
Not something that needs to be worried about until next summer. I think FO has shown they are able to move players out relatively easily, but okay...

Seattle should be able to take on a disgusting contract next summer. I wouldn't worry so much about us. But I appreciate the concern. <3

Reactions: CupsOverCash

DFC

Sep 26, 2013
NB

Binnington
Holtby
Murray
Murray/MAF
Crawford/Darling
Quick
Crawford
Quick
Thomas
Niemi

Montreal signed Price to more than Vasy is making under a much higher cap.

In 3 or 4 years Vasy's deal will be in line with a few guys you mentioned. In the meantime, it's not like it's costing us irreplaceable talent.

TGWL

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 28, 2011
People say this every single year. We were supposed to have to sell the farm to pay kucherov and point too. It cost us JT Miller, who never really had a role with the team, and we got a 1st for him.

I think the days of cheaping out on goalies are over. If you have a good one, he's gonna want to get paid. Vasy is probably the best goalie in the league right now, and he's the 3rd or 4th highest paid. I think, really, we got a bit of a discount here.
The days of cheaping out on anyone are over. You either pay them a hefty price or you lose them.

DFC

Sep 26, 2013
NB
The days of cheaping out on anyone are over. You either pay them a hefty price or you lose them.

Yeah, to a degree. I think TB has a pretty good track record with getting guys to sign for a little less, pretty much since Stamkos settled for 8.5.

nhlfan9191

Aug 4, 2010
Montreal signed Price to more than Vasy is making under a much higher cap.

In 3 or 4 years Vasy's deal will be in line with a few guys you mentioned. In the meantime, it's not like it's costing us irreplaceable talent.

There’s a reason Price got more. At the time we offered very little. We couldn’t offer him a contender or a chance at a cup, lower taxes, and a market that isn’t the biggest fishbowl for goaltenders in the league. But I agree with a lot of posters, contracts for elite goaltenders were always going to go up, and this lines up with it. It’s yet to be seen if it’s worth it.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad