GDT: TB @ DET | 01/07/2018 | 7:00pm EST

Martinez

Go Blue
Oct 10, 2015
It was actually an entertaining game. Lots of hits and fights. We out shot them. Just got away from us at the end because they are the best team in the league and we suck

Konnan511

#RetireHronek17
Sponsor
Jul 29, 2008
Sarasota, FL
Yeah. To Washington!

Only Boston can beat them if they started tomorrow. Maybe Toronto can make a trade or something and contend but doubtful
Possibly, only because of how hot they've been lately, but even then I wouldn't think they would. TB has an unreal team this season. Good on Stevie.

TatarTangle

Sep 28, 2011
Detroit
Tyler Johnson is the biggest, little POS on the ice. Guy skated 100 feet out of his way to start the entire Larkin fight / altercation with whoever D-Boss scrapped with. Didn't get a penalty. Then proceeded to be the biggest, little POS out there. Someone needs to ring his bell, badly. Dude has Napoleon complex. The Hedman spears were at least fineable, haven't checked if the NHL did anything.

Was at the game and thoroughly entertained, other than watching them stand still on the PP. No fight in the stands though, a little disappointed. Was gonna ask DPD what happened to that Pens fan but, eh, they're working.

Winger98

Feb 27, 2002
Cleveland
Disappointing. The Wings have been able to rack up some wins lately but, like against Boston, couldn't raise their game when needed.

jkutswings

hot piss hockey
Jul 10, 2014
What happened to your Lightning profile pic? You should bust it out.
The point of my reply has nothing to do with however I might feel about Tampa Bay.

When a team hovering around .500 faces the team with the best record in the league, who just came off an ugly loss to a bad team, and the Wings are starting their struggling backup, who hasn't had any serious action for nearly 3 weeks...

... It's not exactly a shocker when the better team wins by a significant margin. All the ranting about the refs, or grumbling against the opponent just comes across as sour grapes.

Detroit needs a serious injection and elevation of their talent level to then be on the same playing field as a team like Tampa. And I hope they get it, sooner rather than later. I'd rather remain focused on improving the Wings where they need it most, instead of griping about the zebras, or hoping another team gets egg on their face.

Honestly, if the refs came over the PA system, and said, "We'd like to award the Lightning an extra goal, because they're sweet, and we really want to stick it to the Wings.", I still wouldn't use it as an excuse, because you could magically delete a goal from TB, magically award it to DET, and the Wings still aren't good enough to win that game.

Big picture. Take our medicine, sell, draft well, and remain focused on rebuilding the roster. Let the Tampas of the world enjoy things now, and do whatever we can so Detroit gets a lot of enjoyment in the future.

Pavels Dog

Feb 18, 2013
Sweden
Good game. Tampa got lucky, but that's what good teams do.

Also, they need to start working on getting excessive shot blocking out of the game.

TheMule93

On a mule rides the swindler
May 26, 2015
Ontario
Good game. Tampa got lucky, but that's what good teams do.

Also, they need to start working on getting excessive shot blocking out of the game.

i like the idea of not being able to drop to block a shot. Puts the player in danger, and limits scoring. Two things the NHL doesn't want. Also wouldn't be surprised to see full cages sooner or later.... like in 50 years people will look back at the league now and think we're so stupid for not requiring such a thing, much like we look back at how insane old goalies who didn't wear masks were. Though that was a different era with much slower and lower shots.

TheMule93

On a mule rides the swindler
May 26, 2015
Ontario
One day Frk will do to Mantha/Bert/Abby/Rasmussen/net-front guy what he did to Girardi. Its inevitable.

Red Stanley

Apr 25, 2015
USA
The point of my reply has nothing to do with however I might feel about Tampa Bay.

When a team hovering around .500 faces the team with the best record in the league, who just came off an ugly loss to a bad team, and the Wings are starting their struggling backup, who hasn't had any serious action for nearly 3 weeks...

... It's not exactly a shocker when the better team wins by a significant margin. All the ranting about the refs, or grumbling against the opponent just comes across as sour grapes.

Detroit needs a serious injection and elevation of their talent level to then be on the same playing field as a team like Tampa. And I hope they get it, sooner rather than later. I'd rather remain focused on improving the Wings where they need it most, instead of griping about the zebras, or hoping another team gets egg on their face.

Honestly, if the refs came over the PA system, and said, "We'd like to award the Lightning an extra goal, because they're sweet, and we really want to stick it to the Wings.", I still wouldn't use it as an excuse, because you could magically delete a goal from TB, magically award it to DET, and the Wings still aren't good enough to win that game.

Big picture. Take our medicine, sell, draft well, and remain focused on rebuilding the roster. Let the Tampas of the world enjoy things now, and do whatever we can so Detroit gets a lot of enjoyment in the future.

You make it sound like we didn't dominate much of that game. You also make it sound like goals #3 and 4 were legit. You've made this argument before that the better on paper team should always win. I think you're watching the wrong sport.

jkutswings

hot piss hockey
Jul 10, 2014
You make it sound like we didn't dominate much of that game. You also make it sound like goals #3 and 4 were legit. You've made this argument before that the better on paper team should always win. I think you're watching the wrong sport.
Always win? No. But that's very different than the boo hoo hooing that bordered on indignation, especially considering that Detroit didn't even register a shot until halfway through the first period.

Red Stanley

Apr 25, 2015
USA
Always win? No. But that's very different than the boo hoo hooing that bordered on indignation, especially considering that Detroit didn't even register a shot until halfway through the first period.

Well, when officiating unduly influences yet another game vs Tampa you can't be too upset with people being upset about it.

jkutswings

hot piss hockey
Jul 10, 2014
Well, when officiating unduly influences yet another game vs Tampa you can't be too upset with people being upset about it.
Remove two questionable goals. They still lose.

It's fine to be frustrated with poor officiating. But pretending it was the difference in the game is silly.

Redder Winger

May 4, 2017
I didn't think goal 3 was goalie interference, and believe me, I was looking for any excuse to absolve Mrazek.
As for goal 4, shit happens. So the linesman blew the offside believing Hedman's reach would be the difference.
Nielsen still lost that faceoff clean. Nobody took even a halfstep toward Kucherov.

Goal 2 doesn't happen if Athanasiou recognizes the D has punched so that he needs to cover the forward. It doesn't happen if Green doesn't make a lazy pass to Larkin. It doesn't happen if Larkin doesn't lose the puck in the corner.

To me it was one of those games where Tampa gets the early lead and sits back. Detroit fires a bunch of mostly harmless shots, but Tampa is never really in danger.
Whenever Detroit made it closer, Tampa used their skill and offensive zone movement to create more offense.

Red Stanley

Apr 25, 2015
USA
Remove two questionable goals. They still lose.

It's fine to be frustrated with poor officiating. But pretending it was the difference in the game is silly.

I'm sure people with more knowledge of quantum physics will tell you why that's not how reality works. But I'm not even upset about the loss. I'm annoyed that officiating ruined a fun and competitive (mostly by us) game. In that regard they were the difference.

Reactions: Konnan511

jkutswings

hot piss hockey
Jul 10, 2014
I'm sure people with more knowledge of quantum physics will tell you why that's not how reality works. But I'm not even upset about the loss. I'm annoyed that officiating ruined a fun and competitive (mostly by us) game. In that regard they were the difference.
Of course that's not how it works. It's no more reality than being able to take those goals away in the first place.

I have no argument with saying that multiple bad calls were made, and that the officiating soured the experience of watching the game. That's perfectly fair (and ultimately, it doesn't sound like you and I disagree on things here).

I'm just saying that some fan reactions we're approaching the level of, 'the refs screwed us out of a win', and I take issue with that, both based on how the game went, and from the standpoint that railing against the zebras ranks somewhere between, 'need to get bigger on the blue line' and, 'Europeans are too soft', in terms of ridiculous hockey cliches.

Red Stanley

Apr 25, 2015
USA
Of course that's not how it works. It's no more reality than being able to take those goals away in the first place.

I have no argument with saying that multiple bad calls were made, and that the officiating soured the experience of watching the game. That's perfectly fair (and ultimately, it doesn't sound like you and I disagree on things here).

I'm just saying that some fan reactions we're approaching the level of, 'the refs screwed us out of a win', and I take issue with that, both based on how the game went, and from the standpoint that railing against the zebras ranks somewhere between, 'need to get bigger on the blue line' and, 'Europeans are too soft', in terms of ridiculous hockey cliches.

Sure that's all fair.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad