Value of: Taylor Hall...

Status
Not open for further replies.

Fourier

Dec 29, 2006
Waterloo Ontario
As good as Hall is, I wouldn't mind moving him for the reasons you stated above. To me, it's just a matter of time before he get's tired of winning less then 30 games a year and his move from the Oilers to the Devils didn't help his cause one bit. Having to look at his former team making the postseason for the first time in years must be soooo frustrating, especially when he's floating in mediocrity, once again.

There's no quick fix for my Devils and I'd rather build this team through the draft. I don't want to tank but we're already a bottom 3 team with a legit star in Hall and Schneider for that matter. This years draft is "ok" but next years draft is the real deal, especially the top #5. We can land a franchise player and build from there. Everyone was crapping on the Leafs when they were struggling a couple of seasons ago but they drafted legit studs like Matthews, Marner, etc... and now everyone is quick to forget those down years.

I don't want to trade Hall, at all, but management has to look at the big picture here... just like when Parise signed that one year deal which made him a UFA the following summer. The majority of our fan base wasn't worried about him bolting but sometimes the writing is on the wall.

Let's just hope we won't have to live the same type of situation with Hall.

If the Devils are looking at being a bottom 5 team next year then trading Hall at the trade deadline next year may unfortunately be the way to go. It will help with your draft position and increase the eventual return, particularly if the Devils were able to eat a fair portion of his salary. Hall at $3M for a contender for a year and a third with a great shot at resigning him would be extremely attractive and you may well get full value back for him.

Larsson is still very young and is signed to a great deal. If Hall was to walk that trade would be a disaster for the franchise. It would take a lot of guts for a GM to risk that happening. AT the very least one would have to have had serious talks about his future by the trade deadline next year.

Flamesjustwin

Oct 8, 2010
London ON
I would do Hall for Bennett, Kylington and your first

You are crazy! I wouldn't give anything for Hall let alone a hard nosed talented kid like Bennett, a good young D man in Kylington and a 1st to boot. All for a non back checking, low IQ, overrated player who has won absolutely nothing as a pro, has not even sniffed the playoffs, and disappears in the latter half of seasons. Do not want. There is a reason besides McJesus that Edmonton has finally has success this season and the same reason why the Devils are a giant pile of suck.

Mar 15, 2011
NJ
You are crazy! I wouldn't give anything for Hall let alone a hard nosed talented kid like Bennett, a good young D man in Kylington and a 1st to boot. All for a non back checking, low IQ, overrated player who has won absolutely nothing as a pro, has not even sniffed the playoffs, and disappears in the latter half of seasons. Do not want. There is a reason besides McJesus that Edmonton has finally has success this season and the same reason why the Devils are a giant pile of suck.

Lmao

Homesick

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Aug 2, 2005
Calgary
This is the biggest pile of crap I've read on these boards....EVER! :biglaugh:

Zajacs Bowl Cut

Lets Go Baby
Nov 6, 2005
PA

Congrats on worst post of the day! :handclap:

its definitely Hall's fault the Devils are so bad. Why doesn't he play defense or goalie?!!?!?!

Soundwave

Mar 1, 2007
It'd be funny if the Oilers made an offer.

Nugent Hopkins + Reinhart + pick.

ManofSteel55

Aug 15, 2013
Sylvan Lake, Alberta
Who are Halls ideal linemates? He strikes me as an (albeit talented) one man show every time I see him.

This isn't really true. He does like to carry the puck and make the plays, but I think the "one man show" stuff only happens when he gets frustrated and feels like he has to do it all himself. And given the linemates he had to play with for most of his career, that's kind of understandable. For example, we saw a lot less of this last year when playing with Draisaitl, because Drai was capable of doing some damage with the puck or as a shooter to Hall's set ups.

The issue is that most of the time, he is just so much better than what he has to work with. He is actually a very skilled playmaker, he just needs someone who doesn't have stone hands to bury the puck. So put him on a line with a shooter, or a playmaker and let him shoot. Just make sure that the guys on his line can play as top liners.

Cousin Eddie

You Serious Clark?
Nov 3, 2006

You'd be crazy to say no to that as a Flames fan.

McShogun99

Aug 30, 2009
Edmonton

If Bennet is the main piece coming back for Hall then you make that trade 10/10 times. Kylington might never amount to anything and Calgary's 1st should be in somewhere between 20-31.

ManofSteel55

Aug 15, 2013
Sylvan Lake, Alberta

Are you suggesting that any of Bennett, Kylington or the pick HAVE won anything as a pro?

You've posted a lot of nonsense in the past, but your analysis of Hall is probably the worst. The reasons why Edmonton has been so much better this season (other than McDavid) are:
1) Solid defense - We added Larsson, Russell, and Benning, and Nurse took huge strides. Klefbom was healthy all year. Basically the only defenseman in our lineup that wasn't injured or a rookie last year is Sekera - and he has played much better this year as well. That is over 50% of our defense changed or upgraded (or healthy). Makes a big difference.

2) Talbot - He was decent last year, but has been a top 10 goalie in the league this year.

3) Improved forward depth - a couple of guys have had off seasons, but our 3rd and 4th lines look like 3rd and 4th lines this year, where they looked like AHL'ers last season.

Taylor Hall is not on the list of reasons we are better.

The reasons the Devils are bad?

1) Schneider hasn't been bailing them out to win games.

2) Lack of offensive players - Hall is really their only top line forward

3) Lots of youth - Leading to inconsistent play, especially on the blueline (Severson for example is great when playing well but horrible when not).

Again, Taylor Hall - not on the list.

Mar 26, 2010
I have always been a fan of Hall. I am sure he would like to come home and play for his childhood team, the Maple Leafs.
That will not happen though, Toronto is way too deep with forwards already.

Homesick

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Aug 2, 2005
Calgary
I have always been a fan of Hall. I am sure he would like to come home and play for his childhood team, the Maple Leafs.
Name the last star player under 30 to "go home and play for their childhood team, the Maple Leafs". Plus I thought the Flames were his team

A91

Oilers + Real Madrid
May 21, 2011
Edmonton

Thanks for your contribution to this thread.

Eric Sachs

Jan 31, 2007
If Taylor Hall makes a trade request and that leaks publicly, it'll likely hurt his value because teams will know he wants out and they'll know the Devils don't have much choice.

But really, that's not Hall's style. He was a good soldier in Edmonton and I have no reason to believe he would be any different in New Jersey.

The Devils can.. choose to keep him?

It's called a trade request for a reason..

Bye Felicia

Apr 26, 2016

Are your other 1,384 posts also this awful?

Spoiled Bratt

Jun 29, 2016
The Devils can.. choose to keep him?

It's called a trade request for a reason..

If he demands a trade, we better move him instead of losing him for nothing. If we didn't learn our lesson with guys like Niedermayer, Parise, Clarkson, etc...

* I do understand that our past situation isn't at all identical to our current situation but I doubt very much that Shero would gamble resigning Hall if he doesn't have a extension approved come trade deadline when reaching UFA status.

Eric Sachs

Jan 31, 2007
If he demands a trade, we better move him instead of losing him for nothing. If we didn't learn our lesson with guys like Niedermayer, Parise, Clarkson, etc...

* I do understand that our past situation isn't at all identical to our current situation but I doubt very much that Shero would gamble resigning Hall if he doesn't have a extension approved come trade deadline when reaching UFA status.

That's cool. It's also a completely different scenario than the one I posted about so not sure how that applies at all.

If he doesn't want to re-sign here, we will trade him at his last TDL under contract.

We won't trade him away any earlier than that simply because he demands a trade and possibly force ourselves into a scenario where we take pennies on the dollar.

Kurt Cobain

Mar 30, 2004
This doesn't make sense for us right now. If we were to trade Hall it would just create a another hole since we wouldn't have a legit top 6 left wing. What we need to do is get Hall and Palmieri a legit 1st line center. Yes Kyle Palmieri has proved to be a legit 1st line RW and has even been more dangerous than Taylor Hall for long stretches. Zajac has done an admirable as the top line center, but he's more suited to be a 2nd or 3rd line center. Getting a legit first line center would enable us to move Zajac down to where he should be and also let us move Henrique to LW, which is his proper position. There's just no way we're moving Hall anytime soon and the only way we do is if we don't make the playoffs in any of the next two years, because if that's the case he may be good as gone as soon as he becomes a UFA. Until then Taylor Hall stays put.

We're going to end up with a very high pick this up coming draft, most likely top 3 and have something like 10 or 11 total picks in this draft. Also, have some better young players and prospects than we get credit for. However, what might be our most important asset is the amount of cap space available to us this summer. Which will allow us to throw big money at some free agents or make a trade with a team that is in dire need of cap space.

We need is a legit 1st line center, first pairing defenseman and another top 6 RW. Yes I understand they don't grow on trees, but I think we'll be capable of getting 2 of the 3, between this off season and the next. So like I said Taylor Hall goes no where for the next two seasons, unless he asks for a trade but I really don't expect that to happen after only one season here.

Kurt Cobain

Mar 30, 2004
This doesn't make sense for us right now. If we were to trade Hall it would just create a another hole since we wouldn't have a legit top 6 left wing. What we need to do is get Hall and Palmieri a legit 1st line center. Yes Kyle Palmieri has proved to be a legit 1st line RW and has even been more dangerous than Taylor Hall for long stretches. Zajac has done an admirable as the top line center, but he's more suited to be a 2nd or 3rd line center. Getting a legit first line center would enable us to move Zajac down to where he should be and also let us move Henrique to LW, which is his proper position. There's just no way we're moving Hall anytime soon and the only way we do is if we don't make the playoffs in any of the next two years, because if that's the case he may be good as gone as soon as he becomes a UFA. Until then Taylor Hall stays put.

We're going to end up with a very high pick this up coming draft, most likely top 3 and have something like 10 or 11 total picks in this draft. Also, have some better young players and prospects than we get credit for. However, what might be our most important asset is the amount of cap space available to us this summer. Which will allow us to throw big money at some free agents or make a trade with a team that is in dire need of cap space.

We need is a legit 1st line center, first pairing defenseman and another top 6 RW. Yes I understand they don't grow on trees, but I think we'll be capable of getting 2 of the 3, between this off season and the next. So like I said Taylor Hall goes no where for the next two seasons, unless he asks for a trade but I really don't expect that to happen after only one season here.

I sure like the word legit apparently.

Kurt Cobain

Mar 30, 2004
Are you suggesting that any of Bennett, Kylington or the pick HAVE won anything as a pro?

You've posted a lot of nonsense in the past, but your analysis of Hall is probably the worst. The reasons why Edmonton has been so much better this season (other than McDavid) are:
1) Solid defense - We added Larsson, Russell, and Benning, and Nurse took huge strides. Klefbom was healthy all year. Basically the only defenseman in our lineup that wasn't injured or a rookie last year is Sekera - and he has played much better this year as well. That is over 50% of our defense changed or upgraded (or healthy). Makes a big difference.

2) Talbot - He was decent last year, but has been a top 10 goalie in the league this year.

3) Improved forward depth - a couple of guys have had off seasons, but our 3rd and 4th lines look like 3rd and 4th lines this year, where they looked like AHL'ers last season.

Taylor Hall is not on the list of reasons we are better.

The reasons the Devils are bad?

1) Schneider hasn't been bailing them out to win games.

2) Lack of offensive players - Hall is really their only top line forward

3) Lots of youth - Leading to inconsistent play, especially on the blueline (Severson for example is great when playing well but horrible when not).

Again, Taylor Hall - not on the list.

Yeah anyone who blames Taylor Hall for any lack of success the Devils have had this year is crazy. I do have to say that Kyle Palmieri is a first line RW at this point and considering the amount of goals he scored for such a pathetic offense since he's got here, it makes it even more impressive. He will probably score 30 goals again or at least come very close. He's the best pure goalscorer that we have and one of the more underrated forwards in the league. I thought Hall was more of a goal scorer, but he's more of a playmaker and passer which I didn't expect and a very good one at that. Even with that said we only have 3 or 4 top six players and that's not good enough.

Our defense's inability to negate shots and scoring chances against has been our biggest problem this year, in my opinion. Then there is the lack of offense from our 2nd, 3rd and 4th lines. Those our the two biggest reasons for our struggles and that has to do with lacking a top pairing defensman and playing so many rookies who still have a lot to learn at the NHL level.

Yes Schneider is having a down year, but he hasn't been as bad as what his stats indicate, the guy gets no help whatsoever defensively. Any goalie would struggle playing for this team, with the amount of quality scoring chances they allow every game. Also, our backup Kincaid has played quite a few games and he's been very good this season, so I don't like blaming our goaltending.

Losing Adam Larsson may have hurt short term, but we still wouldn't be a playoff team if we kept him. Not trading for Hall just means we would have only 2-3 top 6 forwards and 1 first liner at most. Having Severson and Santini on the right made Larsson more expendable in the long run. I do miss Larsson though, he's such a great defensive defensman and will be up there with the Vlasic's and Hjalmarsson's of the world very soon. I think he's already as good as them defensively, but it will be hard for the majority of posters on this site to deny it soon.

Like I said in my earlier post we need help, but we're not trading Hall anytime soon. It makes no sense at all.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad