Value of: Taylor Hall...

Status
Not open for further replies.

Spoiled Bratt

Jun 29, 2016
He just got here, so they aren't going to be trading him and this is a pointless thread.

For all sensitive Devils fans, relax, this was made in order to get a feel of what his value would be around the league.

P.S. I don't think Hall will just play out his contract before wanting to be apart of a contender but I might be wrong.

Blender

Dec 2, 2009
For all sensitive Devils fans, relax, this was made in order to get a feel of what his value would be around the league.

P.S. I don't think Hall will just play out his contract before wanting to be apart of a contender but I might be wrong.

Maybe not, but that's a couple seasons from now. What does his value today have to do with his value in 2-3 years?

Roof Daddy

Apr 1, 2008
Who are Halls ideal linemates? He strikes me as an (albeit talented) one man show every time I see him.

Honestly I think he has an ideal linemate in Zajac. RH shot, very good face off man, underrated shot, heady player with great positioning and defensive awareness. That's what Hall needs, a guy who can mask some of his deficiencies (poor decision making and forcing plays) by being ultra responsible defensively. What those two need is a power forward who is a beast along the boards to win battles and a guy that goes to the front of the net and can't be moved.

If you had a line of Hall-Zajac-Simmonds, I think we'd see Hall return to ppg/near ppg numbers. Easier said than done, but the point is the Devils need to build around him, not move him. They haven't had a game breaker since Parise/Kovy, nor have they had success since. There is not enough roster depth to be one trade away from a fix.

Spoiled Bratt

Jun 29, 2016
Honestly I think he has an ideal linemate in Zajac. RH shot, very good face off man, underrated shot, heady player with great positioning and defensive awareness. That's what Hall needs, a guy who can mask some of his deficiencies (poor decision making and forcing plays) by being ultra responsible defensively. What those two need is a power forward who is a beast along the boards to win battles and a guy that goes to the front of the net and can't be moved.

If you had a line of Hall-Zajac-Simmonds, I think we'd see Hall return to ppg/near ppg numbers. Easier said than done, but the point is the Devils need to build around him, not move him. They haven't had a game breaker since Parise/Kovy, nor have they had success since. There is not enough roster depth to be one trade away from a fix.

You make very solid points in regards to the linemates that would suit him best and that the Devils are not a trade away from going to a bottom 3 team in the league to a legit contender.

With that said, I'm having a hard time seeing Hall sticking around our current rebuild when he's been with bottom feaders his entire career. At some point, you want to play for a winner and unfortunately, we're probably 2 to 3 years away... if not more.

Like I've said numerous times on our own board, Shero will have to work his magic this offseason in order to upgrade our blueline and add some much needed offense as well. That in it self alone is a pretty tough task to accomplish and I do hope Shero pulls all the right strings in order for us to move forward but I wouldn't want him to make moves in order to "entice" Hall to stay, in detriment of the overall good of the franchise headed forward.

Zajacs Bowl Cut

Lets Go Baby
Nov 6, 2005
PA
Taylor Hall is the absolute LEAST of the Devils' worries. hes at nearly a 0.8 PPG pace on a bottom 3 team in the league.

Spoiled Bratt

Jun 29, 2016
Taylor Hall is the absolute LEAST of the Devils' worries. hes at nearly a 0.8 PPG pace on a bottom 3 team in the league.

You're completely missing the point here. We all know that Hall isn't the issue as to why we suck atm... the point I'm trying to make is that I don't see Hall wanting to be apart of the ****show he went through in Edmonton, a second time.

Yes, he's still under contract for another 3 years but i wouldn't be surprised if he went up to Shero and asked to be moved if things don't pick up ASAP and that's why I wanted to see what value he might bring back IF he were to make such a request.

tempest2i

Jigsaw Falling Into Place
Oct 25, 2009
Cowtown
You're completely missing the point here. We all know that Hall isn't the issue as to why we suck atm... the point I'm trying to make is that I don't see Hall wanting to be apart of the ****show he went through in Edmonton, a second time.

Yes, he's still under contract for another 3 years but i wouldn't be surprised if he went up to Shero and asked to be moved if things don't pick up ASAP and that's why I wanted to see what value he might bring back IF he were to make such a request.

If Taylor Hall makes a trade request and that leaks publicly, it'll likely hurt his value because teams will know he wants out and they'll know the Devils don't have much choice.

But really, that's not Hall's style. He was a good soldier in Edmonton and I have no reason to believe he would be any different in New Jersey.

THall4

Feb 25, 2014
Edmonton, AB
I kinda feel for Taylor Hall now. Guy has never been on a team that finished higher then the bottom 8/10 teams. For a guy that wasn't really fond of being traded to NJ ..wouldn't surprise me if he asks for a trade. He felt responsible to the failings in EDM and wanted to help steer it in the right direction with McDavid...not sure he feels the same way in NJ.

Fourier

Dec 29, 2006
Waterloo Ontario

In a recent podcast Hall talked about free agency and what he would want. If I remember correctly he basically stated that he has made his money and that the most important thing to him would be being on a team with a chance to win.

It sounds like he likes the area and his new team but I am quite sure that if things do not turn around on the ice there is a very real chance he would leave. Turn arounds can be quick but I do not know what the Devils time frame might be. I also do not think that this means he would necessarily ask for a trade even if he was unsure about resigning.

CaptainSexyPants

Sep 27, 2012
Much as I feel for Hall, I feel worse for New Jersey. I don't think Hall will ask for a trade but I do think the Devils trade him at next years deadline or the year after, which I'm sure wasn't their plan initially. Anyone that hasn't heard that Hall/Whitney podcast, btw, should give it a listen...Hall flat out says he's going to a contender when his contract is up. Which, yeah, is maybe not surprising, but if anyone were under the impression that he'd stay in Jersey if they weren't competitive, or would go to ___ "because he likes the area" or whatever...

To answer the OP though and at the risk of oversimplifying it, he works best with a one shot scorer and a guy who can get him the puck. Didn't work with McDavid (albeit in a short sampling) because they're both the type of player that need to carry the puck. Hall's not a complimentary player, he needs to run the show with others supporting him.

Spoiled Bratt

Jun 29, 2016
Much as I feel for Hall, I feel worse for New Jersey. I don't think Hall will ask for a trade but I do think the Devils trade him at next years deadline or the year after, which I'm sure wasn't their plan initially. Anyone that hasn't heard that Hall/Whitney podcast, btw, should give it a listen...Hall flat out says he's going to a contender when his contract is up. Which, yeah, is maybe not surprising, but if anyone were under the impression that he'd stay in Jersey if they weren't competitive, or would go to ___ "because he likes the area" or whatever...

As good as Hall is, I wouldn't mind moving him for the reasons you stated above. To me, it's just a matter of time before he get's tired of winning less then 30 games a year and his move from the Oilers to the Devils didn't help his cause one bit. Having to look at his former team making the postseason for the first time in years must be soooo frustrating, especially when he's floating in mediocrity, once again.

There's no quick fix for my Devils and I'd rather build this team through the draft. I don't want to tank but we're already a bottom 3 team with a legit star in Hall and Schneider for that matter. This years draft is "ok" but next years draft is the real deal, especially the top #5. We can land a franchise player and build from there. Everyone was crapping on the Leafs when they were struggling a couple of seasons ago but they drafted legit studs like Matthews, Marner, etc... and now everyone is quick to forget those down years.

I don't want to trade Hall, at all, but management has to look at the big picture here... just like when Parise signed that one year deal which made him a UFA the following summer. The majority of our fan base wasn't worried about him bolting but sometimes the writing is on the wall.

Let's just hope we won't have to live the same type of situation with Hall.

Last edited:

Connor

Aug 17, 2015
Who are Halls ideal linemates? He strikes me as an (albeit talented) one man show every time I see him.

Hall needs to be the puck carrier on the line.

Hall's ideal linemates need to:

- Not have to carry the puck

- Be at least average defensively

- Be above average on the boards

- One needs to have a good shot

- One needs to be good in the paint

- Not be slow

CaptainSexyPants

Sep 27, 2012
As good as Hall is, I wouldn't mind moving him for the reasons you stated above. To me, it's just a matter of time before he get's tired of winning less then 30 games a year and his move from the Oilers to the Devils didn't help his cause one bit. Having to look at his former team making the postseason for the first time in years must be soooo frustrating, especially when he's floating in mediocrity, once again.

I don't want to trade Hall, at all, but management has to look at the big picture here... just like when Parise signed that one year deal which made him a UFA the following summer. The majority of our fan base wasn't worried about him bolting but sometimes the writing is on the wall.

I agree. And maybe (probably) it's because all of the Hall quotes that make it into the Edmonton news are the ones where he's answering questions directly related to this stuff (happy for his old teammates to finally make the playoffs, really tough having played 7 years in the league and not having been in a single playoff game, etc.) but it really just sounds to me like he's at the end of his rope.

TBH, after how it went in Edmonton, I don't think the Devils really have much of a shot at keeping him unless they're very competitive as soon as next year. Like no worse than top 10. Sounds like he really likes Jersey and the travel and what not, but I just don't think he's going to want to take any chances after a decade. Even being a bubble team and sneaking into the playoffs once or twice over the next 3 years...I just don't see that being enough if he feels he can get a near-guarantee by going to the Pens, Hawks, Caps or whoever the perennial arse kickers of the time happen to be.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad