Rumor: Taylor Hall not interested in Devils extension

Zajacs Bowl Cut

Lets Go Baby
Nov 6, 2005
PA
Are you claiming that the Tavares contract was not an issue until June of '18?

I remember it different. I recall a player who refused to sign yet still said teasing-type things that encouraged the Isles fans to have hope and more importantly the Isles management to hold him and lose the asset with no return.

At this moment that is a literal match for this situation - although I would certainly not say "refused to sign" here yet, nor would use that word "refuse" for quite some time. But I think the Tavares situation and the blueprint it provided for both players and teams is very relevant.

Hall is legally not allowed to sign yet. How about we wait until, oh, I dont know....when he IS allowed to sign to start the doom and gloom stuff? Is that a fair ask or nah?

JT Kreider

FIRE GORDIE CLARK
Dec 24, 2010
NYC
I’ve been worried about Hall not re-signing with us for a couple of years now. The guy didn’t want to be traded and he didn’t choose NJ. It’s too soon after Parise leaving for nothing to trust this kind of situation.

Hall can be as patient as he wants to be to decide if he wants to stay in NJ. Shero can’t be.

I really hope he stays but we can’t lose this guy for nothing. He’s too big of an asset. I think the trade deadline is too late to get good value for him but you never really know. He could have another great season and start a bidding war at the deadline. I personally would be too scared to risk that though.

If he doesnt have an extension in place by the time he steps on the ice for training camp/opening night that's a pretty good idea that he's gone. It's so rare for a player of Hall's caliber to make it that far into his contract year. The only ones were Parise, Stone, Tavares, Karlsson, Panarin and Stamkos, maybe a few exceptions that I am forgetting that signed extensions mid-year.

Toews and Kane signed their extensions on July 9th, Benn on the 16th, Seguin on September 13th, Price on July 2nd, Bergeron on July 12th, Giroux on July 4th, Marchand on September 26, Kuznetsov July 2nd, Tarasenko July 7th, Doughty July 1st, Couture July 1st, OEL July 1st, Wheeler September 4th ...you get the idea.

Edit: Forgot Kucherov and Hedman, signed their extensions on July 10th and July 1st.

Last edited:

Zezel22

Mar 9, 2018
Hall is legally not allowed to sign yet. How about we wait until, oh, I dont know....when he IS allowed to sign to start the doom and gloom stuff? Is that a fair ask or nah?

Head scratching response based on what was posted. Don't see any doom and gloom and its acknowledged that the difference between this and tavares - at this time- is that its way too early to take hall's inaction in the signature as an indicator, largely because he isnt able to yet but even if he was its still a long way to camp.

Your earlier post stated that it would be adviseable to not compare this to Tavares until "this point next year" which would indicate Tavares situation was not something for Islander fans or namagement to worry about until June of 2018, which I would strongly disagree with. There are several parallels to this and Tavares "at this point" in the process.

Reactions: klabob

RogerRoger

Jul 23, 2013
no one is burying their head in the sand
my entire overall point is that the headline and article that this entire 20+ page thread is based on is baseless.
If we need solid ground and sources to discuss something on a discussion board, we'll be bored.

JT Kreider

FIRE GORDIE CLARK
Dec 24, 2010
NYC
no one is burying their head in the sand

my entire overall point is that the headline and article that this entire 20+ page thread is based on is baseless.

I dont think it is baseless. I think there is some truth to this, but it is also not as extreme as the clickbait headline makes it out to be.

IMO this is not really new information. We know how important this offseason is for the Devils to prove to Hall that they're for reals, and as cute as the automatic draft lotto champ thing is, he isn't going to accept another season in the basement. These are the last of his "prime" years, so there is definitely some immediacy to get back into the playoff picture ASAP. It remains to be seen if the Devils can provide him that chance.

Zajacs Bowl Cut

Lets Go Baby
Nov 6, 2005
PA
If we need solid ground and sources to discuss something on a discussion board, we'll be bored.

You can discuss Taylor Hall and whether or not he will sign. Thats fine.

A thread titled "Hall not interested in re-signing with Devils" or whatever it says is clickbait.

Reactions: klabob

JT Kreider

FIRE GORDIE CLARK
Dec 24, 2010
NYC
You can discuss Taylor Hall and whether or not he will sign. Thats fine.

A thread titled "Hall not interested in re-signing with Devils" or whatever it says is clickbait.

Just saying... if Pagnotta linked the Devils to Mitch Marner you would indulge it and get carried away with trade proposals and contract offers. But because he is reporting information you might not want to hear, he is a hack and his article is clickbait.

Zajacs Bowl Cut

Lets Go Baby
Nov 6, 2005
PA
Just saying... if Pagnotta linked the Devils to Mitch Marner you would indulge it and get carried away with trade proposals and contract offers. But because he is reporting information you might not want to hear, he is a hack and his article is clickbait.

I Wouldn't.

Pagnotta linked the Devils to multiple free agents last offseason and I did not get carried away believing they would sign any of them.

I don't see any argument for the article NOT being clickbait. There is no evidence whatsoever that Hall has said he wants nothing to do with the Devils.

JT Kreider

FIRE GORDIE CLARK
Dec 24, 2010
NYC
I Wouldn't.

Pagnotta linked the Devils to multiple free agents last offseason and I did not get carried away believing they would sign any of them.

I don't see any argument for the article NOT being clickbait. There is no evidence whatsoever that Hall has said he wants nothing to do with the Devils

Just because he reported the Devils were in on de Haan and JVR and they ultimately signed elsewhere doesnt invalidate his original report. I'm sure half the league was in on those guys, half the league ended up missing out on them.

And as for your second point, I do agree that the situation is not as dire as the article makes it out to be, but you'd also be lying to yourself if you didn't think there was some truth to it as well..

that Hall will be taking a wait and see approach and that this is a very important month for the Devils to prove to Hall that the last few years of his prime won't be going to waste.

It doesnt take an insider to figure that much out.

And technically if Hall doesnt sign immediately as soon as he can on July 1st, this report would be correct.

Zajacs Bowl Cut

Lets Go Baby
Nov 6, 2005
PA
Just because he reported the Devils were in on de Haan and JVR and they ultimately signed elsewhere doesnt invalidate his original report. I'm sure half the league was in on those guys, half the league ended up missing out on them.

And as for your second point, I do agree that the situation is not as dire as the article makes it out to be, but you'd also be lying to yourself if you didn't think there was some truth to it as well..

that Hall will be taking a wait and see approach and that this is a very important month for the Devils to prove to Hall that the last few years of his prime won't be going to waste.

It doesnt take an insider to figure that much out.

Ray Shero flat out said that the Devils were not interested in de Haan and did not speak to him, as an example. Not sure why he would make that up, considering that he was very vocal about being in on guys like Shattenkirk 2 years ago and Maroon last year.

No Devils fan denies that this is an important month and that Hall needs some reassurance to sign. If they don't make any major moves, I will worry for sure. However, that doesn't = "he has no interest in re-signing". Which for the 100th time has been my point this entire time.

Cheddabombs

Status Quo
Mar 13, 2012

But Shero coming out and saying he didn't try to sign De Haan invalidates it.

JT Kreider

FIRE GORDIE CLARK
Dec 24, 2010
NYC
But Shero coming out and saying he didn't try to sign De Haan invalidates it.

Pagnotta said that the Devils were among teams that expressed interest in de Haan. I'm sure there are plenty of GM's who express preliminary interest in plenty of free agents, but that interest didn't go far enough to offer a contract - so he didn't try to sign him.

Or maybe the interest was shot down from the other party -- and boom, Shero didn't try to sign him, because he couldn't.

Just saying.

AfroThunder396

[citation needed]
Jan 8, 2006
Miami, FL
Pagnotta said that the Devils were among teams that expressed interest in de Haan. I'm sure there are plenty of GM's who express preliminary interest in plenty of free agents, but that interest didn't go far enough to offer a contract - so he didn't try to sign him.

Or maybe the interest was shot down from the other party -- and boom, Shero didn't try to sign him, because he couldn't.

Just saying.
It baffles me you're putting this much effort into defending a guy that was clearly wrong.

"M-maybe aliens came down and wiped Shero's memory overnight, and he just doesn't REMEMBER offering de Haan a deal because he also had a brain aneurysm, yeah that's gotta be it!"

Zezel22

Mar 9, 2018
Ray Shero flat out said that the Devils were not interested in de Haan and did not speak to him, as an example. Not sure why he would make that up, considering that he was very vocal about being in on guys like Shattenkirk 2 years ago and Maroon last year.

No Devils fan denies that this is an important month and that Hall needs some reassurance to sign. If they don't make any major moves, I will worry for sure. However, that doesn't = "he has no interest in re-signing". Which for the 100th time has been my point this entire time.

This is what the article said:

As the Devils try to convince the 2018 NHL MVP Taylor Hall to sign a long-term extension with the organization, multiple well-placed sources have told TFP the 27-year-old, as of now, is not interested in signing a new deal with the club.

Ferris all but confirmed that in comments yesterday:

“This is one of the most important decisions of his career, some players only get here once,” Ferris said. “There’s no reason to rush into it.”

If your entire point is to argue against an article that stated Hall "has no interest in re-signing" than I hate to be the one to tell you you've wasted youre time as no such article exists.

In one sense, I agree that the article was clickbait to the extent that its not saying much new, and possibly overdramatizing what we already knew.

But again, this guy claims he has sources that imply the Hall situation may be trending against the devils. Those sources may be dead wrong. They might be right. Unfortunately due to the nature of anyonmous sources we will never know.

Zajacs Bowl Cut

Lets Go Baby
Nov 6, 2005
PA
This is what the article said:

As the Devils try to convince the 2018 NHL MVP Taylor Hall to sign a long-term extension with the organization, multiple well-placed sources have told TFP the 27-year-old, as of now, is not interested in signing a new deal with the club.

Ferris all but confirmed that in comments yesterday:

“This is one of the most important decisions of his career, some players only get here once,” Ferris said. “There’s no reason to rush into it.”

If your entire point is to argue against an article that stated Hall "has no interest in re-signing" than I hate to be the one to tell you you've wasted youre time as no such article exists.

In one sense, I agree that the article was clickbait to the extent that its not saying much new, and possibly overdramatizing what we already knew.

But again, this guy claims he has sources that imply the Hall situation may be trending against the devils. Those sources may be dead wrong. They might be right. Unfortunately due to the nature of anyonmous sources we will never know.

this is what I mean. Ferris absolutely did NOT confirm that. You are just reading what you want to read. Saying he doesn't want to rush it =/= he is not interested in signing.

Like I said, we can debate if Hall will sign or not. Using this article as the centerpiece of that debate is BS.

JT Kreider

FIRE GORDIE CLARK
Dec 24, 2010
NYC
It baffles me you're putting this much effort into defending a guy that was clearly wrong.

"M-maybe aliens came down and wiped Shero's memory overnight, and he just doesn't REMEMBER offering de Haan a deal because he also had a brain aneurysm, yeah that's gotta be it!"

Its really not that deep. Just saying that Shero (or any GM) wouldn't be doing his job if he didn't "express interest" in one of the top UFA's on the market.

On the flip side, an agent wouldn't be doing his job if he wasn't trying to drum up as much interest as possible in his player and using insiders to do so.

We are already seeing the Rangers being used in this case as being a top landing spot for Karlsson even though it makes zero sense for the Rangers.

Just trying to point how these loose terms of 'expressing interest' are born, every insider does it, whether they're being used by one side or the other.

Last edited:

Zezel22

Mar 9, 2018
this is what I mean. Ferris absolutely did NOT confirm that. You are just reading what you want to read. Saying he doesn't want to rush it =/= he is not interested in signing.

Like I said, we can debate if Hall will sign or not. Using this article as the centerpiece of that debate is BS.

If the article said he is not interested in signing I would agree with you that Ferris did not confirm that by stating his client is in no rush.

However, the article you are getting all worked up about does NOT state he is not interested in signing with the Devils as you have repeatedly claimed it does. It states that, at this time, Hall is not interested in signing with the Devils.

The agent coming out next day and talking about its a once in a lifetime decision and there is no rush, to me, sounds like a confirmation that they are not willing to agree to an extension with the Devils, at this time.

EDIT: The reason "at this time" is so critical is that many were hoping/expecting that Hall extension would be announced July 1 or very soon after. I was at one time one of those people. It appears that is not the case. Pagnotta's article, to me, illustrates a relevant issue: The Devils have really only 3 periods of time to sign Hall: 1) July 1, give or take 2) Later in summer prior to camp 3) In-season before deadline.

Anytime one of those periods passes without a signature, the intensity of the whole situation will ratchet up. Pagnotta reported that the July 1 option is essentially dead, and Ferris essentially confirmed. So that is 1 down, 2 to go.

Does that mean its not going to happen? No. But it means people around the league - insiders, fans etc, will be creeping further up in their seats with every time window that passes until the big day

Csonked Out

Mar 20, 2007
Bismarck, ND
This is the stupidest argument. Every Devils fan knew that we needed to have a big draft and offseason to convince Taylor to stay. He likes New Jersey and he likes Hynes but he wants to win. If we make no moves we trade him as he wouldnt sign, if we are active then he signs.

This dumb article basically said that with a clickbait headline. It is quite smart though as it technically isnt wrong as due to free agency not evening happening yet, he technically wouldnt want to sign.

Zezel22

Mar 9, 2018
This is the stupidest argument. Every Devils fan knew that we needed to have a big draft and offseason to convince Taylor to stay. He likes New Jersey and he likes Hynes but he wants to win. If we make no moves we trade him as he wouldnt sign, if we are active then he signs.

This dumb article basically said that with a clickbait headline. It is quite smart though as it technically isnt wrong as due to free agency not evening happening yet, he technically wouldnt want to sign.

I think this is pretty accurate. The article I think is largely accurate, but doesnt say anything really new or surprising... so in that sense it is clickbait, and has succeeded.

Ad

Upcoming events

• USA vs Sweden
    USA vs Sweden
    Wagers: 3
    Staked: $1,050.00
    Event closes
    • Updated:
  • Finland vs Czechia
    Finland vs Czechia
    Wagers: 1
    Staked: $200.00