Rumor: Taylor Hall not interested in Devils extension

Hookslide

Nov 19, 2018
If the Bruins wanted Taylor Hall, the ask from New Jersey would be: Jake DeBrusk + Brandon Carlo + 2020 1st round pick + 2021 1st round pick + 2021 2nd round pick.

This is assuming Hall extends with the Bruins.
Hall would love playing in Boston,especily with this group,as John Moore said when asked about the success of this team he replied " there are no dickheads on it"...........his injury history is a concern,but I would like too a deal that would benefit all Hall,Bruins ,Devils. get creative and fair people.....this post of all these picks and players, is off the grid .......get real

Scooooooooooooot

Jul 31, 2018
Hall would love playing in Boston,especily with this group,as John Moore said when asked about the success of this team he replied " there are no ********s on it"...........his injury history is a concern,but I would like too a deal that would benefit all Hall,Bruins ,Devils. get creative and fair people.....this post of all these picks and players, is off the grid .......get real

Hall (extended 8x10) + Santini for Debrusk, Carlo, Backes, 2020 1st, 2021 1st (Conditional on winning Cup in 2020 or 2021 becomes 2nd if no Cup)

Cheddabombs

Status Quo
Mar 13, 2012
.... you guys gave up 1 defender for hall and now you want this kind of a return. That's insane man. I get that he is a great player but take what you paid for him out of the equation. This it's what I would expect McDavid to go for if he were ever traded.

This post confuses me a lot. First of all you bring up what we traded to get Hall, then say to take that out of the equation. Also, it's widely accepted that trade massively favoured the Devils - and lest we forget since that time Hall's added in a Hart trophy to his resume. So, whether we take into consideration the original deal (I'm not sure you want us to or not, getting mixed signals) it should be agreed upon that Hall's proved more since that trade.

Reactions: Bet the Over

NJDevils#4

Since 2002, bishes
Jul 11, 2002
New Jersey
Visit site
I’d take a solid top pairing Dman and a quality draft pick. Or a 1st Line winger and a good pick. That’s about his value given he needs to get paid and has injury concerns but is also capable of MVP #’s at the same time.

Mister Ed

Dec 21, 2008
He saw the fan-fare for the Tavares UFA status last year and he wants the same thing. Can't really blame him.

Zajacs Bowl Cut

Lets Go Baby
Nov 6, 2005
PA
He saw the fan-fare for the Tavares UFA status last year and he wants the same thing. Can't really blame him.

Does he? Again, no quotes from Hall in any of the articles that have been released. And nothing that indicates this whatsoever.

You guys need to do a little more research before formulating your opinions.

Mister Ed

Dec 21, 2008
Does he? Again, no quotes from Hall in any of the articles that have been released. And nothing that indicates this whatsoever.

I swear that I heard TSN That's Hockey talk about it along the season, this past week of rumours hasn't really swayed me in the other direction.

JustaFinnishGuy

Joonas Donskoi avi but not a SEA fan ¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Mar 3, 2016
Finland
If the Bruins wanted Taylor Hall, the ask from New Jersey would be: Jake DeBrusk + Brandon Carlo + 2020 1st round pick + 2021 1st round pick + 2021 2nd round pick.

This is assuming Hall extends with the Bruins.
Imagine being this delusional.
No one is worth this package. And there won't be a deal like this in the foreseeable future.
It's illogical.

+why would you go for picks beyond the 1st one since you're assuming that the other team gets better?
You get worse value for 1st rounder by the year if the trade goes well for the Bruins.

Zezel22

Mar 9, 2018

The defensiveness and "see no evil" reactions by large majority of NJD fans (of which I am one) is not necessary. Ask an Islander fan today what bothers them most about Tavares and its likely say that its the fact that Tavares frequently hinted he wanted to stay, never said anything to the contrary, so when he left it blindsided them.

Point is, neither Hall, Ferris or Shero is never going to make a public comment that indicates a divorce is POSSIBLY on the way. There is no benefit in doing that unless you are in a dispute and need a threat... this is clearly not a dispute. This is a player and agent assessing their options which is not only their right but their responsibility.

Everyone can have their own gut feelings and opinions, but saying that Hall is not actively considering alternatives to NJ simply because none of the relevant people have stated it to the media is faulty.

Again, everyone is right to opinions, but if you think Hall is and has not thought about going UFA in '20 I'd strongly, strongly disagree.

Zajacs Bowl Cut

Lets Go Baby
Nov 6, 2005
PA
The defensiveness and "see no evil" reactions by large majority of NJD fans (of which I am one) is not necessary. Ask an Islander fan today what bothers them most about Tavares and its likely say that its the fact that Tavares frequently hinted he wanted to stay, never said anything to the contrary, so when he left it blindsided them.

Point is, neither Hall, Ferris or Shero is never going to make a public comment that indicates a divorce is POSSIBLY on the way. There is no benefit in doing that unless you are in a dispute and need a threat... this is clearly not a dispute. This is a player and agent assessing their options which is not only their right but their responsibility.

Everyone can have their own gut feelings and opinions, but saying that Hall is not actively considering alternatives to NJ simply because none of the relevant people have stated it to the media is faulty.

Again, everyone is right to opinions, but if you think Hall is and has not thought about going UFA in '20 I'd strongly, strongly disagree.

the article that prompted this thread was complete nonsense and pure clickbait. There is nothing in that article of any relevance.

Is Taylor Hall 10000% staying a Devil? No, we don't know that for sure. However, we don't really have any new information about it either way than we did a month ago, as an example.

Especially given the fact that you typically lean to the "sky is falling" opinions when it comes to the Devils, I am not surprised by your take on this.

Last edited:

crackdown44

Cold milk cools down hot food
Dec 1, 2017
Obviously bringing him home to Calgary would be amazing but with Tkachuk and Gaudreau already on the left side it doesn’t really make sense to spend what it would take to get him

Zezel22

Mar 9, 2018
the article that prompted this thread was complete nonsense and pure clickbait. There is nothing in that article of any relevance.

Is Taylor Hall 10000% staying a Devil? No, we don't no that for sure. However, we don't really have any new information about it either way than we did a month ago, as an example.

Especially given the fact that you typically lean to the "sky is falling" opinions when it comes to the Devils, I am not surprised by your take on this.

Nor am I in yours.

The initial article MAY have been nonsense, I don't know. I am not on the inside of the NHL circles. The article stated that SOURCES said that Hall was thinking this. Biased Devils people responded to that by claiming that since Hall, Ferris and Shero had not STATED such, it was nonsense. But that was never what the writer said. He said he had a source who said it was the case.

You can bemoan "source journalism" all you want and you may be right. But the article stated it was a inside source and people who were n a rush to deny it tried to discredit it by saying if there was no quote - or if opposing quotes appeared later in a Morreale article - that meant this guys source was wrong. The source may be wrong. He may not be. But no official quotes from relevant parties have anything to do with it, as all quotes will be non-commital OR positive because thats simply how its done.

Again, there was never a quote from Tavares or the Islanders that was not positive in nature or at LEAST non-commital until he signed in Toronto. The idea of Tavares, or Hall, coming out and saying 13 months before UFA, "Yeah, I really am thinking about leaving" is absurd.

Jerzey Devil

Jerzey-Duz-It
Jun 11, 2010
St. Augustine, FL
I’ve been worried about Hall not re-signing with us for a couple of years now. The guy didn’t want to be traded and he didn’t choose NJ. It’s too soon after Parise leaving for nothing to trust this kind of situation.

Hall can be as patient as he wants to be to decide if he wants to stay in NJ. Shero can’t be.

I really hope he stays but we can’t lose this guy for nothing. He’s too big of an asset. I think the trade deadline is too late to get good value for him but you never really know. He could have another great season and start a bidding war at the deadline. I personally would be too scared to risk that though.

Reactions: Zezel22

Zajacs Bowl Cut

Lets Go Baby
Nov 6, 2005
PA

Ferris and Hall were somewhat annoyed their lack of urgency in engaging in contract talks with Shero and the Devils was being spun into something they claim it isn’t. A reluctance to sign as soon as possible is not necessarily a sign that the Devils are no longer an option, they say. It is simply a way to go about taking a very important decision and choosing to attack it under the best circumstances possible.
“This is one of the most important decisions of his career, some players only get here once,” Ferris said. “There’s no reason to rush into it.”

so basically, nothing to see here.

Zajacs Bowl Cut

Lets Go Baby
Nov 6, 2005
PA
Nor am I in yours.

The initial article MAY have been nonsense, I don't know. I am not on the inside of the NHL circles. The article stated that SOURCES said that Hall was thinking this. Biased Devils people responded to that by claiming that since Hall, Ferris and Shero had not STATED such, it was nonsense. But that was never what the writer said. He said he had a source who said it was the case.

You can bemoan "source journalism" all you want and you may be right. But the article stated it was a inside source and people who were n a rush to deny it tried to discredit it by saying if there was no quote - or if opposing quotes appeared later in a Morreale article - that meant this guys source was wrong. The source may be wrong. He may not be. But no official quotes from relevant parties have anything to do with it, as all quotes will be non-commital OR positive because thats simply how its done.

Again, there was never a quote from Tavares or the Islanders that was not positive in nature or at LEAST non-commital until he signed in Toronto. The idea of Tavares, or Hall, coming out and saying 13 months before UFA, "Yeah, I really am thinking about leaving" is absurd.

why is Tavares continually brought up? If Hall gets to this point NEXT summer and he isn't signed, then sure I agree with you.

Hall still has 1 year left on his contract. He literally cannot sign an extension for another 4 weeks. How about we wait a few weeks (at minimum) to wait to jump to conclusions....?

Zajacs Bowl Cut

Lets Go Baby
Nov 6, 2005
PA
We just saw the same, exact situation with Tavares.. you'll keep hoping that he signs right until he doesn't

Taylor Hall will not leave the Devils as a UFA.

He will either be signed or traded.

Shero will not let him walk for free. I will bet my life on it.

Zezel22

Mar 9, 2018
I’ve been worried about Hall not re-signing with us for a couple of years now. The guy didn’t want to be traded and he didn’t choose NJ. It’s too soon after Parise leaving for nothing to trust this kind of situation.

Hall can be as patient as he wants to be to decide if he wants to stay in NJ. Shero can’t be.

I really hope he stays but we can’t lose this guy for nothing. He’s too big of an asset. I think the trade deadline is too late to get good value for him but you never really know. He could have another great season and start a bidding war at the deadline. I personally would be too scared to risk that though.

I agree with you pretty much across the board.

Anyone who thinks that Hall was not so upset about the trade BECAUSE it was to NJ is lying to themselves. I think its fair to say that NJ is not in the top half of desireable destinations for high profile players. I can only speculate but if Hall was traded to Chicago, LA, or as much as I wretch in saying it, NY... he would not have been as visibly upset as he was. Granted he may still have had negative feelings toward the Oilers, sure... but to the level is doubtful. Hall and Shero essentially admitted that it took him a FULL YEAR to recover form the trade. Thats not the reaction of someone who was happy. If you watched Hall in his first season in NJ, it was depressing. His body language was poor, you could see it.

But then what followed is also a fairly common thing with players and NJ - There are multiple indications that he really started to dig it. His tone changed... he made several comments about the area, his life on the waterfront of NJ... I even recall him making a comment about driving to the Devils team dentist office in the Summit/Short Hills area and saying how nice it was and its a place he could see himself living one day. There are players who LOVE NJ - Brodeur, Elias etc... Scott Stevens was once kicking and screaming about coming to the Devils and 25 years later he STILL LIVES IN NORTH JERSEY YEAR ROUND.

This year was more similar to Year 1 than Year 2 if you had to peg it. But he was hurt, team stinks and all that. So you can kind of write that off EXCEPT it is the most recent "taste in the mouth" and its certainly not good from a Devils standpoint.

I happen to think its a draw right now. I happen to believe Hall and Ferris, but again that does not mean there are not people in the league who have indications one way or another and Pagnotta claimed to have spoken to one of those people. I think this guy was surprised at how much he took to the organization and city... but is nervous as heck about committing to it for the rest of his relevant career. And I would be too if I was him.

Hopefully it works out for NJD.

Zezel22

Mar 9, 2018
why is Tavares continually brought up? If Hall gets to this point NEXT summer and he isn't signed, then sure I agree with you.

Hall still has 1 year left on his contract. He literally cannot sign an extension for another 4 weeks. How about we wait a few weeks (at minimum) to wait to jump to conclusions....?

Are you claiming that the Tavares contract was not an issue until June of '18?

I remember it different. I recall a player who refused to sign yet still said teasing-type things that encouraged the Isles fans to have hope and more importantly the Isles management to hold him and lose the asset with no return.

At this moment that is a literal match for this situation - although I would certainly not say "refused to sign" here yet, nor would use that word "refuse" for quite some time. But I think the Tavares situation and the blueprint it provided for both players and teams is very relevant.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad