Taylor Hall For Adam Larsson V | 4,000+ Posts and Counting!

Replacement*

Checked out
Apr 15, 2005
Hiking
Like all those games that Hall refused to forecheck and was as guilty as everyone else for flyby poke checks. Like all those games that Hall got pissed off and tried to do everything himself and refused to use his teammates(a big reason for Klef's comments and what he was refering to imo and why Hall got traded). Like last year where him and Drai slowed down and although Drai lost the stamina to keep up with Hall and the off the rush magic was gone, Drai continued to play intelligent hockey in the ozone and Hall had no clue where to go and how to cycle. Basically looked like Yak out there as to where to go. Maroon comes in and talks about keeping pucks deep on teams and Hall just continues to do the same thing, rush the zone and that's it.

I love Hallsy and a line built for him can and always will be deadly, but players had to adjust to him...not the other way around. So when you sasy he was the only one trying and other players took the night off. Nope. The opposite. Hall refused to adjust to the game being played around him or his teammates just as much, if not more

But this assumes the Oilers were playing an airtight sensible 200ft game away from Hall except they weren't. This team didn't adhere to appreciably more system play in game 82 than they did in game 1.

The thing to key on is Hall didn't exist here in a vacuum. The things currently being attributed to Hall (because he's gone) were the fault of the whole team and org. Ironically Hall had better GA stats than several of his colleagues this past season and was among the most likely players to show up for games in the time he played here.

This is a poor team, and we extricated the 2nd best player we have from a poor team.

BoldNewLettuce

Esquire
Dec 21, 2008
Canada
But this assumes the Oilers were playing an airtight sensible 200ft game away from Hall except they weren't. This team didn't adhere to appreciably more system play in game 82 than they did in game 1.

The thing to key on is Hall didn't exist here in a vacuum. The things currently being attributed to Hall (because he's gone) were the fault of the whole team and org. Ironically Hall had better GA stats than several of his colleagues this past season and was among the most likely players to show up for games in the time he played here.

This is a poor team, and we extricated the 2nd best player we have from a poor team.

Did he show chemistry with anyone enough to make him untouchable? Did he play hard enough in close games and down the stretch to really make him untouchable? Was there another offer which would have fetched Larsson? Had Hall even played to his potential for the rest of his contract would we have wanted to re-sign him and would he want to re-sign here (cap considerations)?

No to all.

bobbythebrain

Jul 30, 2016

Exactly what Klef was talking about. Hall is an exceptional athlete, almost generational, and he bullied his way through many games and stats. But when games got tough(regardless of opponents), Hall just sulked(another reason for his demise), buried his head and tried to pound his brand of hockey out. It's a team sport. Like I said, Maroon came in and immediately recognized some things and then against some tough teams voiced his opinion on how to beat them. Change the style of play. Except Hall's problem is he doesn't change his offense, especially when things aren't going well.

How often did you see him take a puck down low and rag it? Or Dump it around the boards to the other side? When Hall was clearly first into the zone without his teammates he either took some bad shots or tried the same curl out and try to pass to a trailing player, that many times resulted in a picked off pass. Why do you think Hall is not the best pp player?

Replacement*

Checked out
Apr 15, 2005
Hiking
Did he show chemistry with anyone enough to make him untouchable? Did he play hard enough in close games and down the stretch to really make him untouchable? Was there another offer which would have fetched Larsson? Had Hall even played to his potential for the rest of his contract would we have wanted to re-sign him and would he want to re-sign here (cap considerations)?

No to all.

Strange reply. Did he show chemistry with Drai? Given that the duo were flying and one of the best combos in the league for half a season I would say yes. Given that Hall was the most likely player on this team to sub in on other lines to kickstart offense as a troubleshooter I would say yes.

Given that Hall within this contract has produced quite well I would say he easily covered his 6M longterm contract which was one of the best contract values on this team.

Replacement*

Checked out
Apr 15, 2005
Hiking
Exactly what Klef was talking about. Hall is an exceptional athlete, almost generational, and he bullied his way through many games and stats. But when games got tough(regardless of opponents), Hall just sulked, buried his head and tried to pound his brand of hockey out. It's a team sport. Like I said, Maroon came in and immediately recognized some things and then against some tough teams voiced his opinion on how to beat them. Change the style of play. Except Hall's problem is he doesn't change his offense, especially when things aren't going well.

How often did you see him take a puck down low and rag it. Or Dump it around the boards to the other side. When Hall was clearly first into the zone without his teammates he either took some bad shots or tried the same circle out and try to pass to a trailing player, that many times resulted in a picked off pass. Why do you think Hall is not the best pp player?

I'll take a guy that can produce EV, over a player that can produce on PP anytime.

Guys that produce well on a PP are easier to find. That said, the focus on the downlow cycle game that was being furthered here, and that Drai plays was engaged by Hall who had success as well with that tactic being that he's one of the best passers on the club. Hall has all the tools, is one of the most adaptable players, and people sell him short creating storylines that he never adapted. Hall made strides in his 200ft game even this season. More than any other forward on the club.

BoldNewLettuce

Esquire
Dec 21, 2008
Canada
Strange reply. Did he show chemistry with Drai? Given that the duo were flying and one of the best combos in the league for half a season I would say yes. Given that Hall was the most likely player on this team to sub in on other lines to kickstart offense as a troubleshooter I would say yes.

Given that Hall within this contract has produced quite well I would say he easily covered his 6M longterm contract which was one of the best contract values on this team.

Strange intro.

His chemistry with Drai fizzled and his "kickstarting" of offense did nothing for the win column.

You're making him sound like an offensive dynamo....and he just wasn't. He was fast and he knew how to make plays in some different ways but, IQ aside, his "offensive skillset" was probably the worst of the bunch.

bobbythebrain

Jul 30, 2016
I'll take a guy that can produce EV, over a player that can produce on PP anytime.

Guys that produce well on a PP are easier to find. That said, the focus on the downlow cycle game that was being furthered here, and that Drai plays was engaged by Hall who had success as well with that tactic being that he's one of the best passers on the club. Hall has all the tools, is one of the most adaptable players, and people sell him short creating storylines that he never adapted. Hall made strides in his 200ft game even this season. More than any other forward on the club.

200ft game yes.Fully agree. That's why i stressed offense. If it didn't come off the rush for Hall, it didn't come at all. Again, it's what I think Klef was referring to. He didn't mean bad teams per say, he meant bad teams(tired, taking nights off, etc). When teams played us tough or had a plan to shut us down, Hall just continued to force his game and didn't adjust. It affected the rest of the team as somebody said earlier, he is the true alpha male.

You seriously need to put some stock in Maroon's comments to see what this team wasn't doing on a team vs team basis.. He was barely in an Oiler uniform and was telling this team what to do and how to play against certain teams...and it worked.

Spawn

Something in the water
Feb 20, 2006
Edmonton
Strange intro.

His chemistry with Drai fizzled and his "kickstarting" of offense did nothing for the win column.

And the Oilers had a worse record with McDavid in the lineup than with him out...

One player alone can't do it all.

Unfortunately for McDavid, with Hall gone, we are going to have to rely on one player to generate offense for this team. Chumps like RNH certainly aren't going to get it done.

nabob

Big Daddy Kane
Aug 3, 2005
HF boards
And the Oilers had a worse record with McDavid in the lineup than with him out...

Unfortunately for McDavid, with Hall gone, we are going to have to rely on one player to generate offense for this team. Chumps like RNH certainly aren't going to get it done.

Well a chump like Hall wasn't getting it done with McDavid in the lineup either. Nuge has shown that with Hall out of the lineup that he can up his offensive production.

Wash, rinse, repeat. These threads are getting so lame. Poster trying to say Hall is some sort of irreplaceable generational player and they won't even consider that maybe after six seasons that Hall is what he is. He is a very good individual offensive player.

KeithIsActuallyBad

You thrust your pelvis, huh!
Apr 12, 2010
Calgary

I mean, Hall wasn't even the best goalscorer on the team even before McDavid...

CupofOil

Knob Flavored Coffey
Aug 20, 2009
NYC
He's a franchise winger, but he's not able to do it alone.

Every other franchise player had someone else on or near that level, save Tavares. And even he got the exact same criticism Hall did until their management addressed the numerous deficiencies on that team.

I would still think so if we didn't have Pulju, Draisaitl, Larsson, Klefbom, etc... and he was clearly a dominant player on the ice.
Rookie Crosby was dominant as **** and the Penguins finished 1 point out of last place. MSL won an Art Ross and Stamkos won the Rocket (in the SAME season) and TBL was drafting at the top the next year. Hockey is a team sport.

Hall isn't a franchise winger and that's where the disconnect in perceived value lies between those who hate the trade and those who are accepting of the trade.

Do you consider Wheeler, Pacioretty and Kessel franchise wingers? I don't and that's the level of player Hall is. Hall is a very good 1st line winger, not somebody you build a franchise around. There's a distinct difference between the two.

nabob

Big Daddy Kane
Aug 3, 2005
HF boards
Hall isn't a franchise winger and that's where the disconnect in perceived value lies between those who hate the trade and those who are accepting of the trade.

Do you consider Wheeler, Pacioretty and Kessel franchise wingers? I don't and that's the level of player Hall is. Hall is a very good 1st line winger, not somebody you build a franchise around. There's a distinct difference between the two.

But none of those guys "drive the play" like Hall does :sarcasm:

SomeDudeOTI

Feb 25, 2014
Behind enemy lines

Ding! Ding! Ding! We Have a Winner!

You could add in some of the comments about individual style of play and chemistry and how much (or how little) character/attitude issues you want... but it comes down to some people seeing Hall as god-like in his winger prowess and untouchable and don't you dare say anything different.

Hall is a unique talent that was fun to watch. He also had warts in his game. We traded a really good winger for the high-end rhd we've needed for years and replaced Hall with a FA that also happens to be a really good winger. Some might even say that Lucic brings more of what we really need than Hall did.
Personally I think we are a better team now than we were before the trade and that's what is important to me. Crest on the front, not the name on the back.

Cam98

Jun 24, 2009
Ding! Ding! Ding! We Have a Winner!

You could add in some of the comments about individual style of play and chemistry and how much (or how little) character/attitude issues you want... but it comes down to some people seeing Hall as god-like in his winger prowess and untouchable and don't you dare say anything different.

Hall is a unique talent that was fun to watch. He also had warts in his game. We traded a really good winger for the high-end rhd we've needed for years and replaced Hall with a FA that also happens to be a really good winger. Some might even say that Lucic brings more of what we really need than Hall did.
Personally I think we are a better team now than we were before the trade and that's what is important to me. Crest on the front, not the name on the back.

LOL at high end RHD. Larsson is not high-end nor will he ever be. He is a top 4 defensive dman. He will be nothing more then that in in Edmonton.

belair

Balls On The Crest
Apr 9, 2010
Canada

There's a whole, whole lot to this argument but we extracted our second best forward for what is now our best defenseman.

Taylor Hall is an outstanding individual player but it's quite possible that the Edmonton Oilers were never going to succeed playing the way Taylor Hall has for him to produce at the rate that he has for us thus far.

belair

Balls On The Crest
Apr 9, 2010
Canada
LOL at high end RHD. Larsson is not high-end nor will he ever be. He is a top 4 defensive dman. He will be nothing more then that in in Edmonton.

He's a top pairing defenseman. He has been for the last two years taking on some of the toughest defensive assignments in the entire league and has come out with his head above water.

CupofOil

Knob Flavored Coffey
Aug 20, 2009
NYC
He's a top pairing defenseman. He has been for the last two years taking on some of the toughest defensive assignments in the entire league and has come out with his head above water.

Don't even bother. Some people are so angry about Hall being dealt that they refuse to be open minded about the player the Oilers got in return. I sure hope that the majority of the season ticket holders don't feel this way about Larsson because the poor guy will be run out of town in no time if he isn't playing at a Norris level right off the bat.

MoneyGuy

Wandering
Oct 19, 2009
I sure hope that the majority of the season ticket holders don't feel this way about Larsson because the poor guy will be run out of town in no time if he isn't playing at a Norris level right off the bat.

You mean he has to play like Schultz? Whoa, that's a high expectation.

nabob

Big Daddy Kane
Aug 3, 2005
HF boards

Can you also predict the March Madness winning bracket for me next year? I think I want to retire young.

Zguy370

Dec 25, 2007
Don't even bother. Some people are so angry about Hall being dealt that they refuse to be open minded about the player the Oilers got in return. I sure hope that the majority of the season ticket holders don't feel this way about Larsson because the poor guy will be run out of town in no time if he isn't playing at a Norris level right off the bat.

Pretty well it. They may be also have gotten so used to looking forward to the Lottery Draft every year, that it's a norm for them. Now things will change and hockey life will be boring for them

Cam98

Jun 24, 2009
Can I have your crystal ball?

pretty much the opposite, you should be giving me your crystal ball if you think Larsson will be anything more than a top 4 dman on the Oilers.

Its enjoyable seeing everyone on the day the trade happened hate it to now saying it is a good trade, blah blah blah.

Curious to see this sub-forum blow up half way through the season when Larsson is just an ordinary top 4 dman and not living up to the "hope" that Chia has for him to be a top 2 dman.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad