Speculation: Taylor Hall - Contract discussion

Status
Not open for further replies.

MartyOwns

thank you shero
Apr 1, 2007
LOL we’ve gone from the we’d better sign him mentality in the offseason to where we’ll be disappointed if he does resign cause of this mythical trade return people are talking themselves into believing

the HF logo should be:

pic%2Bof%2Bpen%2B3%2BJPEG.jpg

edit- Arc of Tolerance is a great username

Foppa2118

Oct 3, 2003
Could the Avs and Devils work something out around the following?

Hall + Greene for Zadorov + Newhook + Greer + Avs 1st

Just out of curiosity is this close? I'm sure you guys would prefer a bluechip prospect like Byram or something similar from another team, but if that isn't available, is this decent value for an unsigned Hall? I'm assuming they'd get an extension done, but probably not before the trade is finalized.

Doesn't seem like Greene holds a ton of value with you guys, but let me know if I'm wrong?

Avs just need a reliable vet defenseman to play on the 3rd pair if they're trading Zadorov. Either separately or in the same trade.

Thanks for any feedback.

Nubmer6

Sleep is a poor substitute for caffeine
Sponsor
Jul 14, 2013
The Village
Just out of curiosity is this close? I'm sure you guys would prefer a bluechip prospect like Byram or something similar from another team, but if that isn't available, is this decent value for an unsigned Hall? I'm assuming they'd get an extension done, but probably not before the trade is finalized.

Doesn't seem like Greene holds a ton of value with you guys, but let me know if I'm wrong?

Avs just need a reliable vet defenseman to play on the 3rd pair if they're trading Zadorov. Either separately or in the same trade.

Thanks for any feedback.
At this point the Devils need quality over quantity, especially at forward. We arguable have 7-8 top 6 forwards with more in the pipeline. On D we really need a top 4 LHD. Giving up Greene wouldn't really help us since it would still force us to play Severson on his off-side and (even worse) force us to continue playing Tennyson as the 3RHD.

Reactions: Foppa2118

Foppa2118

Oct 3, 2003
At this point the Devils need quality over quantity, especially at forward. We arguable have 7-8 top 6 forwards with more in the pipeline. On D we really need a top 4 LHD. Giving up Greene wouldn't really help us since it would still force us to play Severson on his off-side and (even worse) force us to continue playing Tennyson as the 3RHD.

Thanks. I was assuming Greene was unlikely to resign so that's why I included him. Zadorov can be a top 4 LD. Most see him as a #4/5 with room to grow in his game if he can be more consistent.

He's a physical force when he's on his game. I think the Avs would like to keep him, but he's due for a raise, and they may need to move him to go the 7-3 route in expansion.

Nubmer6

Sleep is a poor substitute for caffeine
Sponsor
Jul 14, 2013
The Village
Thanks. I was assuming Greene was unlikely to resign so that's why I included him. Zadorov can be a top 4 LD. Most see him as a #4/5 with room to grow in his game if he can be more consistent.

He's a physical force when he's on his game. I think the Avs would like to keep him, but he's due for a raise, and they may need to move him to go the 7-3 route in expansion.
If you're going to include prospects in your proposal, you're best off including defensive prospects for us. You seem to have plenty of them.

Foppa2118

Oct 3, 2003
If you're going to include prospects in your proposal, you're best off including defensive prospects for us. You seem to have plenty of them.

Timmins would probably be that guy, but he'll be tough to pry out of Colorado. I think they view him as EJ's future replacement. They don't really have anyone else that fits that mold.

My guess is they'd look for a cheaper forward to acquire, if the Devils insisted on Byram or Timmins, but who knows.

Reactions: Nubmer6

njdevils1982

Hell Toupée!!!
Sep 8, 2006
North of Toronto
Yeah, I'll take Elias, Kovy, Parise, and Lemieux over him every day of the week.

How many of our Hall of Famers won the Hart, are you saying Hall is better than them too? The same Hall who scored over 30 goals once in his career despite playing in an offense driven system for all of it.

stevens never won a norris ….going with last nights trivia theme…..

f***ing bourque

PlacePlayerAgeTmPosVotesVote%1st2nd3rd4th5thGAPTS+/-OPSDPSGPSPS
1Ray Bourque33BOSD19973.7026216 207191267.85.70.013.5
2Scott Stevens29NJDD19572.2224236 186078536.36.90.013.2
3Al MacInnis30CGYD6022.224622 285482357.75.50.013.3
4Sergei Zubov23NYRD155.56029 127789206.95.60.012.5
5Brian Leetch25NYRD103.70024 235679286.86.40.013.3
6Chris Chelios32CHID31.11003 164460124.75.00.09.7
7Paul Coffey32DETD10.37001 146377286.04.40.010.3
8Nicklas Lidstrom23DETD10.37001 104656433.85.40.09.2
9Sandis Ozolinsh21SJSD10.37001 263864165.85.30.011.2
10Larry Murphy32PITD10.37001 175673105.74.00.09.7
[TBODY] [/TBODY]
[TBODY] [/TBODY]

Bcap88

Ruff season that’s for sure
Aug 12, 2011
Chicago
We seen Shero do it with stall offer a contract and if it’s rejected the player will be shipped out. Shero ain’t the type to wait and see

Eggtimer

Jul 4, 2011
Calgary Alberta
Ya no messing around and pulling a Parise . Play it like he is going to resign meanwhile always having intent on seeing what’s out there in UFA .
The good thing is Shero won’t put up with that crap (Staal example , where Shero traded him immediately after not agreeing to a contract)
Uncle Lou got burned by Parise , hopefully Shero and the Devils don’t lose Hall for nothing.
Sign him now or trade his arse now.
Offer him and his agent the contract now while they meet in Calgary. If Hall doesn’t sign, trade him now.
I’m thinking Shero has it all planned out for either scenario . If Hall turns it down , he already has feeler trades worked out.

Will be handy for Gaudreau and Hall to just switch dressing rooms on Thursday

Reactions: glenwo2

Devilsfan118

Sing us a song, you're the Schiano man
Jun 11, 2010
NJ
Moving him months ahead of the deadline will help maximize value as well. I'm all in favor of moving him prior to Christmas if he doesn't sign by then.

"Here's the contract - sign on the dotted line by Thanksgiving or I'm looking for trade partners December 2nd"

Triumph

Oct 2, 2007
Moving him months ahead of the deadline will help maximize value as well. I'm all in favor of moving him prior to Christmas if he doesn't sign by then.

It does not maximize value. It minimizes it. Teams who are up against the cap cannot afford Hall right now without trading a roster player. Some of them are banking cap space every day and will be closer to being able to afford him at the deadline.

Blackjack

Feb 13, 2003
keyjhboardd +bro]ke
Visit site
It does not maximize value. It minimizes it. Teams who are up against the cap cannot afford Hall right now without trading a roster player. Some of them are banking cap space every day and will be closer to being able to afford him at the deadline.

I know it will never happen, but we should retain 50% of the contract if it maximizes the return.

Satans Hockey

Nov 17, 2010
I still think Hall is waiting to see how this team keeps doing. If they can pull off a winning streak and realistically look like they have a shot in the playoffs he signs a deal.

If we do a big tailspin on the rest of this road trip and proceed to come home and lose some more games, he'll be gone and maybe even traded before Thanksgiving.

Shero has shown that he doesn't just let bigger name UFAs walk for nothing so worst case scenario this drags on to the trade deadline and if he doesn't sign by then he'll be gone.

I still don't think this team is a playoff team but if they can somehow win 2 out of the next 3 games on this trip who knows.

Ripshot 43

Jul 21, 2010
If Hall is still undecided about if he wants to be here at this point then I don’t want him here. It’s that simple.

If your not sure if you want to fight with your teammates day in and day out to make this a better team, then goodbye. The MVP Hall we saw was that guy that dragged a much less talented team to the playoffs. No one player is more important than the team... and I sure hope Shero is preaching this and not making moves just for Halls sake.

vtdevils2k

"Lets Go Baby!"
Dec 16, 2013
Virginia
I still think Hall is waiting to see how this team keeps doing. If they can pull off a winning streak and realistically look like they have a shot in the playoffs he signs a deal.

If we do a big tailspin on the rest of this road trip and proceed to come home and lose some more games, he'll be gone and maybe even traded before Thanksgiving.

Shero has shown that he doesn't just let bigger name UFAs walk for nothing so worst case scenario this drags on to the trade deadline and if he doesn't sign by then he'll be gone.

I still don't think this team is a playoff team but if they can somehow win 2 out of the next 3 games on this trip who knows.

Only issue is, you can't let this drag. Yes, it's still early in the season and they could go on a big winning streak and took like they are playoff bound next couple of months, but what if Hall gets hurt then walks?

We CAN'T lose this guy for nothing. We're in a much better shape now than we were when we lost Parise and Kovy, but you can't risk losing hall for nothing at all.

I think Hall knows if he wants to stay or test UFA. Seems like he wants to test UFA which is his right, but Shero has to do what is best for the Devils.

I've said this before, outside of a couple of teams(Colorado) who can realistically afford to pay Hall what he's probably worth as a UFA and promise guaranteed playoff appearances? Picking and choosing where you go does not always equal automatic success and playoff appearances.

Regardless of what happens, this situation is getting more media attention and I hope one way or another this doesn't drag on much longer.

The Devils will be fine and in the end, Hall being traded could be best for the Devils(especially based on where we end up in the standings and what players/picks we get for Hall)

Reactions: Devilsfan118

My3Sons

Nobody told me there'd be days like these...
Sponsor
If Hall is focused on this season as opposed to the next eight he’s very short sighted. He shouldn’t be making his decision based on fighting for a bottom playoff spot with this season’s still a work in progress team. If he can’t see the future is better than the present then he should just be honest and say that and go from there.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad