Speculation: Tavares Tells Toronto, "I'm YOUR Huckleberry Now". Fans leaguewide mourn.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Dbrownss

Jan 5, 2014
You add a Drai, Thomas, Kyrou and Fabbri to last years team, and it’s a cup caliber team. As long as Jake rebounds and they fill the #2 RD assuming Parayko is the piece for Drai.
You'll see the defense struggle again.

Brian39

Apr 24, 2014
Assuming we miss on Tavares, I don't have a ton of interest in moving a significant roster piece for a 1C caliber guy. Schenn had 70 points last year and did it while playing a physical brand of hockey and being fine defensively. If we don't land Tavares, I'd rather acquire 2nd line talent that makes us a playoff team (but not true contenders) next year but doesn't mortgage the future. I think it's a mistake to create one hole to fill another just to try and go all in immediately.

I think the cost of ROR and Drai outweighs what they bring for the immediate future. I don't think either make us a Cup contender if it means significantly weakening the blue line.

Brian39

Apr 24, 2014
Wouldn’t a 2RD be easier to replace than a #1 center?

Drai hasn't demonstrated to me that he's a 1C in the NHL. He's been great on McDavid's wing and good-very good otherwise. He may or may not be a better center than Schenn at the moment. Edmonton spent $8.5 mil on Drai on the assumption that he and McDavid would be an elite 1-2 punch down the middle. Instead, he struggled early and spent more time on McDavid's wing than he did playing center. Drai is not a 1C if Parayko is a 2RD.

If you have Drai eating up $8.5 mil in cap space (plus whatever assets we'd have to add to Parayko), then I think it would be insanely difficult to find a replacement for Parayko. We sure as hell don't have that replacement in the organization. Thomas is a hell of a lot more likely to form a good top 6 center duo with Schenn than Schmaltz is to form a good top 4 RD duo with Petro.

Last edited:
Reactions: DoubleK81

TruBlu

Feb 7, 2016
Parayko is wrapped up long term compared to the names I've seen mentioned in a trade to address our forward corps. I still believe he is yet to reach his peak, and we will see more growth out of him this year. I see him as a part of our core group and wouldn't ship him out for anyone currently rumored to be available. I'd rater make a solid pitch for Tavares and then go from there. The offseason is still young.

Chojin

Tiny Panger...
Apr 6, 2011
I feel like Vegas will be the top suitor, given that they have effectively infinite cap space and a major tax advantage, as well as the recent trip to the SCF. That said, I think we're in the same ballpark along with San Jose. I'd put Dallas, Philly, Columbus, and the Islanders in the next tier. I really don't think Montreal or Toronto has a chance.

Celtic Note

Living the dream
Dec 22, 2006
I feel like Vegas will be the top suitor, given that they have effectively infinite cap space and a major tax advantage, as well as the recent trip to the SCF. That said, I think we're in the same ballpark along with San Jose. I'd put Dallas, Philly, Columbus, and the Islanders in the next tier. I really don't think Montreal or Toronto has a chance.
Vegas is certainly unique. You either like it or you don’t. And if you do like it there is a chance you wouldn’t want to live there.

67Blues

Got it for Bobby
Mar 22, 2013
Section 111
If they swing and miss on JT, I suspect that they'll use this year to see what they have in the kids as next years UFA class is stellar. Army will have a better idea of where the kids slot in with a season under their belts. Who knows, maybe Thomas surprises everyone like Fabbri did and slots nicely into a #2C position and then all of our needs suddenly shift around a bit for next season.

I vote the long game sans JT.

BitterSnail

Jun 11, 2018
Seattle, WA
If they swing and miss on JT, I suspect that they'll use this year to see what they have in the kids as next years UFA class is stellar. Army will have a better idea of where the kids slot in with a season under their belts. Who knows, maybe Thomas surprises everyone like Fabbri did and slots nicely into a #2C position and then all of our needs suddenly shift around a bit for next season.

I still think you have to make a strong move for JT though. It's a lot of money sure, but a player like this doesn't become a UFA at his age often. They're in a great position where the backup plan is the kids, and its a pretty great backup plan, even if they don't all pan out.

Dbrownss

Jan 5, 2014
I still think you have to make a strong move for JT though. It's a lot of money sure, but a player like this doesn't become a UFA at his age often. They're in a great position where the backup plan is the kids, and its a pretty great backup plan, even if they don't all pan out.
That's what he's saying. All in on JT, if he goes elsewhere, wait till next year and see what the youth can bring this year.

This isn't a cup or bust year for St. Louis. That doesn't mean they should pass up on a steal of a deal if one arises. There's alot of player names being floated about. I dont think well see any premiums paid

Reactions: Brian39 and 67Blues

Chojin

Tiny Panger...
Apr 6, 2011

The UFA list always looks great this far out. Give it a year and it'll be scraps.

Majorityof1

Mar 6, 2014
Central Florida
The UFA list always looks great this far out. Give it a year and it'll be scraps.

Case in point, OEL is already off the market and just waiting for July 1 to sign. Granted, he obviously isn't a C, but was one of the top UFA of that class. However it is one less player to pull time, money and attention away from the C market. Besides, many of those Cs will also re-sign in the next year.

Majorityof1

Mar 6, 2014
Central Florida
Any interest in trading for Tavares' rights? Do you think NYI is open to trading them? How much for such a sought-after UFA?

He is most likely hitting July 1. If he has informed NYI they have little chance, they may be interested in recouping something. Trading for his rights would do two things. It would (1) give us a leg-up on the competition to sign him, and (2) let us know where we stand with him prior to the draft. The 2nd is almost as important as the first. If we trade a 2nd + 3rd for Tavares and he says he won't sign with us, we can go all in on RoR or TJ or whoever is available in trade. But if he signs with us, we can be more choosy about what assets we spend.

Stealth JD

Don't condescend me, man.
Sponsor
Jan 16, 2006
Bonita Springs, FL
Any interest in trading for Tavares' rights?
Do you think NYI is open to trading them?
How much for such a sought-after UFA?

He is most likely hitting July 1. If he has informed NYI they have little chance, they may be interested in recouping something. Trading for his rights would do two things. It would (1) give us a leg-up on the competition to sign him, and (2) let us know where we stand with him prior to the draft. The 2nd is almost as important as the first. If we trade a 2nd + 3rd for Tavares and he says he won't sign with us, we can go all in on RoR or TJ or whoever is available in trade. But if he signs with us, we can be more choosy about what assets we spend.

Any interest in trading for Tavares' rights? Shit YES
Do you think NYI is open to trading them? Heck NO
How much for such a sought-after UFA? I'd pay more than most, I'm sure. NHL-ready prospects and picks...and Sobotka. lol

Majorityof1

Mar 6, 2014
Central Florida
Any interest in trading for Tavares' rights? **** YES
Do you think NYI is open to trading them? Heck NO
How much for such a sought-after UFA? I'd pay more than most, I'm sure. NHL-ready prospects and picks...and Sobotka. lol

Why not for NYI? They have said their piece by now. He will either re-sign or not. These next several days aren't going to change that. Why not get something for a diminishing asset?

If they are afraid the team they trade him to will sign him, that will pretty much happen regardless. Let's say they trade him to San Jose June 15th for 2 2nds, and SJ makes its pitch and he signs June 21st before the draft. They lose him and get 2 2nds for it. Terrible result. But let's say they don't trade him. San Jose is making the same pitch on June 24th or whenever the negotiation period opens. If the pitch is good, which nothing changed in the scenarios to change the pitch, then Tavares signs July 1. They get an extra 10 days or so, but not the 2 2nds. That is worse than the alternative. If they trade him, its still possible he listens to SJ, waits until July 1, listens to everyone else, and signs back with NYI, who is 2 2nds richer.

TruBlu

Feb 7, 2016
I would think it should be obvious by now that he is going to test the market. I doubt they trade his rights just for the simple fact that it would probably sour his feelings toward them. The Isles are probably holding on to hope for that slim chance that other offers aren't enough to persuade him to go elsewhere, over what they can offer him.

pawnjohn

Jan 27, 2017
Why not for NYI? They have said their piece by now. He will either re-sign or not. These next several days aren't going to change that. Why not get something for a diminishing asset?

If they are afraid the team they trade him to will sign him, that will pretty much happen regardless. Let's say they trade him to San Jose June 15th for 2 2nds, and SJ makes its pitch and he signs June 21st before the draft. They lose him and get 2 2nds for it. Terrible result. But let's say they don't trade him. San Jose is making the same pitch on June 24th or whenever the negotiation period opens. If the pitch is good, which nothing changed in the scenarios to change the pitch, then Tavares signs July 1. They get an extra 10 days or so, but not the 2 2nds. That is worse than the alternative. If they trade him, its still possible he listens to SJ, waits until July 1, listens to everyone else, and signs back with NYI, who is 2 2nds richer.

Unless he straight up tells them that he is for sure not re-signing or states that he will definitely wait until July 1 to sign so he can hear exactly what every teams deal is, they are giving up one of their biggest leverages to sign him, that 8th year. That's the ability to offer him an extra 10.5-12.5 million more than any other team. Even if he is seriously considering leaving, that is a giant enticement in itself.

Without JT telling NYI he is for sure leaving, the only way I see us being able to trade for his rights is after that negotiation period has already started, we believe our pitch has gone a long way in swaying his decision, and he then tells NYI that he isn't coming back. At that point may we try to trade for them in hopes that it seals the deal for JT and he is willing to sign. Of course at this time it is a huge gamble for us due to him being able to listen to other teams and we could lose our on both JT and the assets we traded for.

Now if he has already told NYI that he isn't coming back, then I would definitely trade those 2 2nds in order to get the jump on the negotiation window.

Kind Sir

Dec 19, 2013
Any interest in trading for Tavares' rights? Do you think NYI is open to trading them? How much for such a sought-after UFA?

NO.

Without being able to offer an eighth year, the only value is being able to talk to him before anyone else.

"Do you have a moment to talk about accepting the Blues as your savior?"

NYI: Of course he does! Gimme picks and prospects for the priviledge of ringing his doorbell!

NO.

Brian39

Apr 24, 2014

I don't think they are the top suitor because I don't think they will make nearly as serious of a push for him as teams like us and SJ.

They do have an insane amount of cap space, but they also owe a huge raise to Karlsson and big raises to Theodore/Miller. Next year, Tuch/Schmidt will be due large raises and Fleury hits UFA. That doesn't exactly eat up all their cap space, but it does require them to be judicious in their spending. With all that said, I have them as front runners for Erik Karlsson. A bonafide #1 D is a bigger need for them than a 1C at the moment, Karlsson is 'more elite' than Tavares, and Karlsson's style should fit beautifully in Vegas. It was rumored that they were very close to getting him at the TDL and you know they will heave money at him for an extension if they get him. I don't think they have the cap freedom to bring in $18+ mil in contracts for two guys this summer (and have that number hit $22+ mil moving forward once EK's extension kicks in).

I think Vegas pushes hard for EK and I think there is a good chance they get him. For that reason, I don't think they will be able to make a $10+ mil offer to Tavares.

Reactions: BleedBlue14

BleedBlue14

UrGeNcY
Feb 9, 2017
St. Louis
I don't think they are the top suitor because I don't think they will make nearly as serious of a push for him as teams like us and SJ.

They do have an insane amount of cap space, but they also owe a huge raise to Karlsson and big raises to Theodore/Miller. Next year, Tuch/Schmidt will be due large raises and Fleury hits UFA. That doesn't exactly eat up all their cap space, but it does require them to be judicious in their spending. With all that said, I have them as front runners for Erik Karlsson. A bonafide #1 D is a bigger need for them than a 1C at the moment, Karlsson is 'more elite' than Tavares, and Karlsson's style should fit beautifully in Vegas. It was rumored that they were very close to getting him at the TDL and you know they will heave money at him for an extension if they get him. I don't think they have the cap freedom to bring in $18+ mil in contracts for two guys this summer (and have that number hit $22+ mil moving forward once EK's extension kicks in).

I think Vegas pushes hard for EK and I think there is a good chance they get him. For that reason, I don't think they will be able to make a $10+ mil offer to Tavares.

Especially with the talk about Dorion wanting to ship off Bobby Ryan in the deal it puts Vegas in a unique situation to be able to absorb that contract, take in EK as well as retain a few of the assets that would be required to haul in EK without Bobby Ryan coming back. I'm almost praying this situation pans out because it puts us in a hell of a lot better position to make a run at JT going forward, and if not JT any other top 6 center that is on the market as I don't see OTT wanting to pony up the money to do so or it being all that attractive of a situation for UFAs with the owner hypothetically putting in an internal cap.

Brian39

Apr 24, 2014
Especially with the talk about Dorion wanting to ship off Bobby Ryan in the deal it puts Vegas in a unique situation to be able to absorb that contract, take in EK as well as retain a few of the assets that would be required to haul in EK without Bobby Ryan coming back. I'm almost praying this situation pans out because it puts us in a hell of a lot better position to make a run at JT going forward, and if not JT any other top 6 center that is on the market as I don't see OTT wanting to pony up the money to do so or it being all that attractive of a situation for UFAs with the owner hypothetically putting in an internal cap.

I'm so happy I'm not a Sens fan.

It's insane to me that they would be willing to drastically reduce the return for Karlsson in order to get rid of Bobby Ryan. If they move both in the same deal, then they will be about $8 mil below this years cap floor (and likely $10+ mil below the floor for next year) with only 6 roster spots to fill. Ryan's contract is horrible, but they aren't going to be anywhere close to the cap if they trade EK and Ryan this summer. Moving Ryan is about saving the owner money and has nothing to do with the on-ice product.

That would be as bad as moving Pronger for Brewer, but at least our owner was on his way out.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad