Speculation: Tavares Tells Toronto, "I'm YOUR Huckleberry Now". Fans leaguewide mourn.

Status
Not open for further replies.

wannabebluesplayer

Apr 16, 2012

Ok, 1. He clearly did this before Kane signed in San Jose. 2. He's making the incorrect assessment of the cap staying the same when really, everyone knew it was going up, but no one knew how much. 3. He may be just a hockey fan based on his room (lots of Atlanta Thrasher stuff in the background and a Sharks jersey), but his knowledge seems about skin deep on most teams. 4. He doesn't give any truly in depth reasoning behind any of his claims outside of using cap space and RFA/UFAs as a justification. 5. Quit being troll on the Tavares thing.

Ranksu

Crotch Academy ftw
Sponsor
Apr 28, 2014
Lapland
Ok, 1. He clearly did this before Kane signed in San Jose. 2. He's making the incorrect assessment of the cap staying the same when really, everyone knew it was going up, but no one knew how much. 3. He may be just a hockey fan based on his room (lots of Atlanta Thrasher stuff in the background and a Sharks jersey), but his knowledge seems about skin deep on most teams. 4. He doesn't give any truly in depth reasoning behind any of his claims outside of using cap space and RFA/UFAs as a justification. 5. Quit being troll on the Tavares thing.

wow-gif.gif

I just throw this video, don't take it too seriously. I don't always mean to Be negative. ;) If I'm not wrong he's Canucks fan.

Feels like I would get 'booed' like Bettman If I show up to Scottrade Center with grumpy girl mask on.

Reactions: Brian39

wannabebluesplayer

Apr 16, 2012
wow-gif.gif

I just throw this video, don't take it too seriously. I don't always mean to Be negative. ;) If I'm not wrong he's Canucks fan.

Feels like I would get 'booed' like Bettman If I show up to Scottrade Center with grumpy girl mask on.

I wouldn't boo. I'd shake your hand. Pretty cool to meet a Blues fan from Finland. I don't think you're negative, I just think you like trolling us about Tavares.

The Note in MI

Bow to the pyramid
Aug 21, 2013
Muskegon, MI
Been reviewing the main boards discussions about this topic this morning and have come to the conclusion that we have a pretty solid chance at this, pretty much as solid as any other team not named the Islanders.

What I’ve determined to be considered success, indifference, and failure.

Success - obviously he signs with us.
Indifference - he signs with the NYI.
Failure - he signs with someone not named STL or NYI.

If he is going anywhere but here I’m ok with the Isles because that makes sense. If he goes to a free agency competitor that’s going to be very disappointing that we weren’t able to pitch a strong enough sale to him.

Brian39

Apr 24, 2014
Been reviewing the main boards discussions about this topic this morning and have come to the conclusion that we have a pretty solid chance at this, pretty much as solid as any other team not named the Islanders.

What I’ve determined to be considered success, indifference, and failure.

Success - obviously he signs with us.
Indifference - he signs with the NYI.
Failure - he signs with someone not named STL or NYI.

If he is going anywhere but here I’m ok with the Isles because that makes sense. If he goes to a free agency competitor that’s going to be very disappointing that we weren’t able to pitch a strong enough sale to him.

I don't really agree with this. We can make as good of a pitch as any team from a hockey perspective, but this is a decision that will take more than hockey into account. Maybe he has fallen in love with the ocean and spends every day meditating on the beach. If he thinks that's a vital key to his career success, our pitch doesn't matter all that much because an ocean is something that we just can't offer.

At the end of the day, Tavares has a list of places he would be willing to go. Not everyone on that list is equal and he almost certainly has favorites. It's completely realistic that we could offer the absolute best pitch of any team from a hockey/dollars perspective but he goes somewhere else because he prefers the aspects of the city/lifestyle that we can't offer.

I have zero doubt that Army is going to make a damn good pitch. I think our monetary offer will be on par or better than the offers from other teams who can surround him with talent. Tarasenko is as good as any line mate that he might be able to play with. Our prospect pool is impressive and I don't think any team can match our combo of established talent and upcoming prospects. St. Louis has a great alumni group and a reputation for being a place pro athletes like. If he signs with a rival suitor, I think it will simply be because they were able to offer something that we just couldn't, not because we failed to make our best possible offer.

I was born and raised in St. Louis. I loved my time in St. Louis but I now live in Colorado. I get homesick at times, but I love the mountains and the place I live. I could absolutely continue my career path in St. Louis or Colorado without much difficulty. I'd take a small pay cut to come back to St. Louis, but it would be drastically outweighed by the huge reduction in cost of living from my current location. When I graduated law school, I considered jobs in St. Louis and Colorado. I ended up taking a job in a mountain/river town 3 hours away from Denver (where I was living) instead of coming back to St. Louis. I have less purchasing power than I'd have in St. Louis, but the draw of the mountains and 300 sunny days a year outweighed that. There was nothing those St. Louis employers could have reasonably offered to sway my decision. That's not a failure of those employers, it's just a reality of what I was looking for as a 27 year old.

2018-19 Cup Champs!
Mar 22, 2012
Who did we miss out on recently that outright said we had the best pitch but other factors had them sign elsewhere? I feel like it was within the last 5 years or so. Filppula? Stephen Weiss? Somebody like that. Regardless, another example of it not always being about the pitch and money. I see a lot of reasons he would like to play here, but I don’t know him personally so maybe he has a strong desire to play in Canada, or hates the Central Division opponents or any number of factors. I still can’t envision him actually coming here because I’ve been conditioned so strongly to expect disappointment from this franchise.

stl76

No. 5 in your programs, No. 1 in your hearts
Jul 2, 2015
Who did we miss out on recently that outright said we had the best pitch but other factors had them sign elsewhere? I feel like it was within the last 5 years or so. Filppula? Stephen Weiss? Somebody like that. Regardless, another example of it not always being about the pitch and money. I see a lot of reasons he would like to play here, but I don’t know him personally so maybe he has a strong desire to play in Canada, or hates the Central Division opponents or any number of factors. I still can’t envision him actually coming here because I’ve been conditioned so strongly to expect disappointment from this franchise.
Spezza maybe?

EDIT: nevermind, forgot he was traded not signed. Probably Lecavalier then.

Blues believe they have plenty to offer prospective free agents

Last edited:

Majorityof1

Mar 6, 2014
Central Florida
Sounds like Lecavalier but can't say for certain

I think Lecavalier came down to money. They never came out and said why he didn't choose here, but he did say we had one of the better pitches.

“I talked to Vinny and he said he thought that our presentation was (one) of the tops of the people that made them,” Armstrong said. “He is a big center-ice man and I thought he would fit into our group at no (trade) cost, and he ended up choosing the Philadelphia Flyers. But at the end of the day, I’m glad we went through the process.”
-St. Louis Post Dispatch Article

It's a good article that talks briefly about some specifics of the pitch back then. Much of it applies now, although not to as great of an extent it terms of winger depth. There are lots of quotes that discuss Armstrong's reticence to pay UFA prices. I think it is why we missed out on Vinnie, although the article said we had the cap space for him. Armstrong discussed not wanting to pay more for UFAs than what his own players get when re-signing. Hopefully Armstrong has gotten over that. He sure did with Stastny, where he went to the players and asked for permission to pay Stastny more than Backes, Steen, Pietrangelo etc. Plus, Tavares is elite enough to justify a premium price tag. I don't think money or term will hold us back there unless someone goes crazy and that is Tavares' main motivation.

Reactions: Dbrownss

Brian39

Apr 24, 2014
Armstrong discussed not wanting to pay more for UFAs than what his own players get when re-signing. Hopefully Armstrong has gotten over that. He sure did with Stastny, where he went to the players and asked for permission to pay Stastny more than Backes, Steen, Pietrangelo etc. Plus, Tavares is elite enough to justify a premium price tag. I don't think money or term will hold us back there unless someone goes crazy and that is Tavares' main motivation.

I'd be shocked if Army tried to win over Tavares with a monetary offer well below market. I don't think we will be the highest offer, but I think we'll be right in line with the serious bidders. Too many teams will be making pitches to think that a low-ball offer could get it done if complimented by a great sales pitch. It's exceedingly obvious that Army has situated the organization to pay market price. There's no reason to do all that if you're not actually willing to pay it.

Mike Liut

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 12, 2008
Hopefully JT and his wife love the Pietrangelo’s, the Schenn’s and the Schwartz’ and see the value in this great core. And see the upcoming stars in Thomas, Kyrou and Kostin. And not to mention other core players in Ed, Parayko, Kyrou and a few others. There’s a lot to like in STL. I personally love the Midwest. I live in Wildwood and have lots of acres in southern Missouri and absolutely love it.

Dbrownss

Jan 5, 2014
I'd be shocked if Army tried to win over Tavares with a monetary offer well below market. I don't think we will be the highest offer, but I think we'll be right in line with the serious bidders. Too many teams will be making pitches to think that a low-ball offer could get it done if complimented by a great sales pitch. It's exceedingly obvious that Army has situated the organization to pay market price. There's no reason to do all that if you're not actually willing to pay it.
I would wager Stl will be the highest bid of serious teams. Montreal will probably offer the most money, But I just cant see him going there.

BlueDream

Aug 30, 2011
I'll be honest, I don't really like STL. I moved away.

But, one draw that could benefit athletes is they can live a low-key lifestyle without a ton of attention. That could be appealing and is maybe why so many of them like it here. Who knows what JT is looking for but it wouldn't surprise me if he was that type of guy.

The more I think about it, the more I think it would make zero sense for him to go to Montreal. I don't see that happening. Once again, just gotta worry about SJ and Vegas.

Mar 6, 2012
San Jose would definitely be a nicer place to live than St. Louis, but is much more expensive. Vegas has no sales tax, and depending on your personality, would either be a great place, or a terrible place to live.

St. Louis is pretty forgettable as cities go, but it's big enough that you can have a nice life here, but without a lot of the craziness of bigger cities.

Vegas can probably offer him the most money, but if he wants to win a cup (and I know this sounds silly since they just went to the finals) I don't think Vegas would be the best place to sign long term.

Does he have a wife and kids?

Dbrownss

Jan 5, 2014
I'm still not sold on Vegas. Just too many factors played into a fairly low skilled team doing what they did. If they were 2-3yrs out and still showed to be a solid team(making the playoffs), then I'd see them being a serious threat, but what do they have to offer JT? Their best wingers play with Karlsson, will they split that line up, idk. But after that you have 3/4th line wingers if Neal and Perron leave, and if they are retained, I dont see them as some massive selling point.

I dont know what JT will want in a city, since what I value is from a middle class perspective, so I'd need budget fun to keep me happy. JT is rich and about to get alot richer......things may be different from that perspective.

Reactions: 67Blues

Mike Liut

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 12, 2008
I feel like if we lose out on JT, Army is going to feel desperation set in and make a HUGE splash for somebody. You can probably kiss Parayko, Dunn or Kyrou goodbye. No idea the availability of Draisaitl, but I think him or ROR would be a legit target.

Dbrownss

Jan 5, 2014
I feel like if we lose out on JT, Army is going to feel desperation set in and make a HUGE splash for somebody. You can probably kiss Parayko, Dunn or Kyrou goodbye. No idea the availability of Draisaitl, but I think him or ROR would be a legit target.
What if.....that doesn't happen?

Dbrownss

Jan 5, 2014
Army has the assets to get a blue chip center. I just shudder at the asking price
What if he takes the long approach?

There's no reason for Buffalo to move ROR, it doesn't make sense at all unless he says yes done there, but I think that changed when they got the 1st OA.

You can make a case for Draisaitl, but I don't see Edmonton moving him either since he can play wing too.

I'm not worried at all with Armstrong doing anything stupid, he's spent the last 3/4yrs building this pool, hes not going to burn it down for 1 player because were not a Draisaitl and deffinently not ROR away from a cup.

Mike Liut

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 12, 2008
I could easily see Parayko for Draisaitl if we lose out on JT. We’d probably have to add something too. Not one of the big 3, but something decent. Maybe Stanford. Or I could see Dunn + 1st + Barbashev for ROR. Something will happen

Mike Liut

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 12, 2008
What if he takes the long approach?

There's no reason for Buffalo to move ROR, it doesn't make sense at all unless he says yes done there, but I think that changed when they got the 1st OA.

You can make a case for Draisaitl, but I don't see Edmonton moving him either since he can play wing too.

I'm not worried at all with Armstrong doing anything stupid, he's spent the last 3/4yrs building this pool, hes not going to burn it down for 1 player because were not a Draisaitl and deffinently not ROR away from a cup.

You add a Drai, Thomas, Kyrou and Fabbri to last years team, and it’s a cup caliber team. As long as Jake rebounds and they fill the #2 RD assuming Parayko is the piece for Drai.

Mike Liut

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 12, 2008
Schwartz - Schenn - TT
Fabbri - Drai - Tarasenko
Steen - Thomas - Berglund / Kyrou
Sanford - Barbashev - Berglund / Kyrou

Who am I missing?

Mike Liut

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor