Tavares as Captain

notbias

Feb 16, 2017
JT made the playoffs 3 times in his 9 yrs in NY , got knocked out twice in the first rd and made the 2nd rd once then got knocked out there .

Since he’s been gone they’ve advanced past the 1st rd three time and made the conference finals twice .

And now they are no longer a playoff team, but I bet they would be if they didn't sign Palmeri and Pageau and had Tavares instead.

Reactions: Tak7

hotpaws

Nov 21, 2009
And now they are no longer a playoff team, but I bet they would be if they didn't sign Palmeri and Pageau and had Tavares instead.
the odds of you cashing that bet are low since they made the playoffs only a 1/3 of the time JT was there

Last edited:
Reactions: Koolboss

Martin Skoula

Oct 18, 2017
The problem is Marner is actually more mature than Matthews it seems. I know that’s not the public perception because there’s a false narrative out there that Marner is a baby. But from all accounts it seems like Marner embraces the captaincy role more than Matthews. Do you ever see Matthews talking to refs? Matthews kinda sucks with the media, Marner communicates with Keefe more. Also even many reports have come out talking about Marner’s huge commitment to winning and how management has had to make sure he isn’t taking losses so personal.

I haven’t heard people say any of that stuff about Matthews. I think it’s the other way around, you shouldn’t just hand a captaincy to someone who isn’t captain material. Yes Matthews scores a bunch of goals but I’m not even sure he’s the most vocal in the room. It sounds like Muzzin, Marner and Rielly are the vocal guys.
Marner cried in the penalty box in the playoffs.

Reactions: Koolboss

Nhlpowerweek

Senor
Oct 5, 2022
A lot of respect for him coming back and fighting through the pain after Sandin blasted him.
Metoo. He looks like an old 60' Hollywood actor with that beard and face. But man is he tough. He is starting to be our bergerorian captain.

Antropovsky

Jun 2, 2007
Goofy Dancing in the dressing room, goofy faces, singing...complaining about social media.. thin skin... can't produce in the playoffs when it counts, breaks down in critical playoff games.

Excellent leader!

Meanwhile Matthews was chosen as the Ted Lindsay winner by his peers and he was chosen as the Hart trophy winner by the writers association.

And... he takes his mom, dad and sisters to award ceremonies.

Yep dreadful role model clewrly.

Last edited:
Reactions: arso40

francis246

Nov 16, 2007
and? That shows you care, I don't get this narrative. Jack Campbell cried like a baby after the series. Basically the whole team cried in the locker room and the press conference.

I mean many players cry after losing in the playoffs. It's a normal response. But yet only marner gets shit for it, get your head out of your ass. I can make a compilation of so many players crying in the playoffs.

super duper awesome.
]yup, so were those two fragile? or is it just the fairy tale in your head. Cause Buffalo seemed to be pretty dominant with those two sharing captaincy for a while.

Darcy Tucker

My Name is Bob
Mar 23, 2008
Vaughan, Ontario
Seeing JT go down to a Sandin slapper just makes me wonder if his speed tenacity and putting up with bullshit/60 he gained in the off season just went out the window. Lineup shuffle is inevitable.

San Jose game being the litmus test for our leadership contingency is too good to be true.

mapleleaf979

Jan 14, 2012
Toronto, Ontario
I would have no issue with Marner captain, if Matthews leaves or if he stays. I dont know what goes on in the room but Marner is a 100 point guy, excellent on the pp and the pk. Marner also competes harder than most elite guys in the NHL. Matthews complete level needs to improve.

• Wow
Reactions: arso40

WillyC

Sep 7, 2018
Captain Johnny Tavares with a beautiful play to set up Willy’s goal… then gets helped off the ice to the dressing room after getting blasted by a 100 mph Sandin bullet.

Only to come out and finish the game.

the whiners were likely hoping he wouldn’t return… very un-captain like of JT coming back out, after taking that shot.

Gaberd2608

Jul 14, 2022
I would have no issue with Marner captain, if Matthews leaves or if he stays. I dont know what goes on in the room but Marner is a 100 point guy, excellent on the pp and the pk. Marner also competes harder than most elite guys in the NHL. Matthews complete level needs to improve.
I think if another captain needed to be named it would almost certainly be Mo Rielly. He has seniority, still young, a great player, respected by his teammates, around the league, and management and most of all the fans. I know for me personally, I think Marner is a prima donna. I suspect I am not alone. Being a really good player does not make you a great captain. Look at Toews vs. Kane, Messier vs. Gretzky, etc.

notDatsyuk

Jul 20, 2018
Seeing JT go down to a Sandin slapper just makes me wonder if his speed tenacity and putting up with bullshit/60 he gained in the off season just went out the window. Lineup shuffle is inevitable.

San Jose game being the litmus test for our leadership contingency is too good to be true.
It looked like Sandin's shot was deflected a bit. I sure hope we don't have another Phaneuf, more likely to hit his own player that the net. :sarcasm:

(Although I think Sandin may already be a better defenceman.)

Glad it was nowhere near as bad as it looked.

Martin Skoula

Oct 18, 2017
and? That shows you care, I don't get this narrative. Jack Campbell cried like a baby after the series. Basically the whole team cried in the locker room and the press conference.

I mean many players cry after losing in the playoffs. It's a normal response. But yet only marner gets shit for it, get your head out of your ass. I can make a compilation of so many players crying in the playoffs.

]yup, so were those two fragile? or is it just the fairy tale in your head. Cause Buffalo seemed to be pretty dominant with those two sharing captaincy for a while.

It wasn't after the game, there was 13 minutes left in the 3rd and we were only down 1-0. Maybe instead of crying and feeling sorry for himself he could have scored instead.

Darcy Tucker

My Name is Bob
Mar 23, 2008
Vaughan, Ontario
It looked like Sandin's shot was deflected a bit. I sure hope we don't have another Phaneuf, more likely to hit his own player that the net. :sarcasm:

(Although I think Sandin may already be a better defenceman.)

Glad it was nowhere near as bad as it looked.
Talk out of your ass some more . What a waste of an alert.

1specter

Sep 27, 2016
It wasn't after the game, there was 13 minutes left in the 3rd and we were only down 1-0. Maybe instead of crying and feeling sorry for himself he could have scored instead.
Nylander having to console him was truly embarassing

Martin Skoula

Oct 18, 2017
Nylander having to console him was truly embarassing

It would be one thing if that was rock bottom for him and he came with a vengeance in the offseason and redeemed himself next year but his game and physique have been stagnant since before the pandemic.

Ad

Upcoming events

• Hoffenheim vs RB Leipzig
    Hoffenheim vs RB Leipzig
    Wagers: 6
    Staked: $9,251.00
    Event closes
    • Updated:
  • Torino vs Bologna
    Torino vs Bologna
    Wagers: 5
    Staked: $1,430.00