Tavares as Captain

Osmows OReilly

Jun 26, 2022
With all the talk on the board about the Leafs coming out flat and playing down to weaker opponents, I’ve always thought this problem was on Keefe but where’s the captain in all of this? He seems so boring and uninspired whenever I watch postgame interviews. Recall back to the playoffs against Tampa last year when Spezza had to calm them down and give them a “spark” during intermission. Why isn’t J.T. giving them that spark, drive, motivation, etc. Is there something I’m missing? Thoughts?

TheScandal89

Jun 26, 2016
What difference does it really make? If you put a C on Matthews or Rielly now are they all of a sudden gonna start to speak up?

As for Tavares, he's played pretty well and started the comeback attempt with a steal and rebound that went to Nylander and should have had the game tying assist if they didn't overturn that call. Which I still call BS because if Rielly wasn't interfered with he would have easily touched the puck first.

TheTotalPackage

Sep 14, 2006
No issues whatsoever with Tavares as captain. I like the clean-cut, nice, friendly captain representing the team.

Thought Rielly deserved it and should have been named it, but completely fine with the choice otherwise.

Reactions: Uncus13

Osmows OReilly

Jun 26, 2022
What difference does it really make? If you put a C on Matthews or Rielly now are they all of a sudden gonna start to speak up?

As for Tavares, he's played pretty well and started the comeback attempt with a steal and rebound that went to Nylander and should have had the game tying assist if they didn't overturn that call. Which I still call BS because if Rielly wasn't interfered with he would have easily touched the puck first.
I guess you have a point there. I remember hearing that Matthew’s “commands” a lot of respect in the locker room and even Wayne Simmonds.

Reactions: TheScandal89

hotpaws

Nov 21, 2009
JT has the personality of a rock , has zero leadership qualities and basically just worries about getting his as evidenced by being in the process of blowing the zone early when Muzzin coughed up the puck on the game winning goal by Mon .

this being said i doubt it would make much of difference who wears the C and at this point i'd be happy if they just stopped letting JT do interviews since he comes off as a cliche mumbling idiot

WillyC

Sep 7, 2018
I think him and Nylander have been our best players through the first 4 games.

I do think he’s the best choice for captain in this toxic Toronto market.

I also don’t think they charge the C until Matthews signs long term… and even then, JT could very well wear the C until he retires.

ACC1224

Super Elite, Passing ALL Tests since 2002
Aug 19, 2002
I think him and Nylander have been our best players through the first 4 games.

I do think he’s the best choice for captain in this toxic Toronto market.

I also don’t think they charge the C until Matthews signs long term… and even then, JT could very well wear the C until he retires.
He will.

Mickey Marner

Jul 9, 2014
Dystopia
Johnny Milquetoast has shown up to start the season. I don't think he's much of a rah-rah inspiring leader though. More Clark Kent than Superman.

fancy lad

Nov 22, 2021
Are there any natural, innate, VOCAL leaders on this team? Doesn't really seem so.

Who is the player that most fits that description? Maybe Giordano?

And for the record i'm not even remotely implying they should make him captain. I guess my point is that it really doesn't matter who on this team wears the C. It's just window dressing.

colchar

Apr 26, 2012
With all the talk on the board about the Leafs coming out flat and playing down to weaker opponents, I’ve always thought this problem was on Keefe but where’s the captain in all of this? He seems so boring and uninspired whenever I watch postgame interviews. Recall back to the playoffs against Tampa last year when Spezza had to calm them down and give them a “spark” during intermission. Why isn’t J.T. giving them that spark, drive, motivation, etc. Is there something I’m missing? Thoughts?

Why are you pretending to have any clue about Tavares, his leadership, etc.? You literally have no dea about any of it so shouldn't make assumptions.

Should have kept JvR (7.0M) + Kadri (4.5M) years ago instead of Tavares.

Better used 11 Millions.

:facepalm:

JT has the personality of a rock , has zero leadership qualities and basically just worries about getting his

You have even less clue about him than the OP.

Nineteen67

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Dec 12, 2017
He‘ll likely never get close to a Cup, but it has nothing to do with how boring he is in an interview.

Duffman955

Mar 4, 2010
Tavares from what I've heard/seen is a great captain

His cap hit and play have been a bit lackluster since his son was born tho.

HockeyVirus

Woll stan.
Nov 15, 2020
You think the issues of this team are fixed by putting a letter on one person? Like Matthews is ignored in the dressing room but if we put the C on him suddenly they listen? Our leaders are our leaders.

It is f***ing October. I feel like I am losing my mind reading the internet the last few days

Osmows OReilly

Jun 26, 2022
Why are you pretending to have any clue about Tavares, his leadership, etc.? You literally have no dea about any of it so shouldn't make assumptions.

:facepalm:

You have even less clue about him than the OP.
Uh, I’m not assuming anything, I’m asking a question about his leadership. Truth is none of us really know.

hotpaws

Nov 21, 2009
Except that I didn't. Nice try though Skippy.
so everybody who doesn't believe JT is the goat leader is wrong according to you but you have no opinion on his leadership abilities ?

is this what your trying to say ?

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad