Tavares and the excuses

Islesfan22

Jan 15, 2013
Rockland
NHL radio had a 10 min discussion about all the teams JT would help at the trade deadline. Once the NYI are in 12th place at the trade deadline and have to move him.

This team gets zero respect

Well respect is earned. Team has been a laughing stock for over 20 years. Not really surprised by this.

Jester9881

May 16, 2006
Long Island NY
I hope the handful of dummies that trashed JT in this thread know that other team boards are using this thread to fuel the idea the Islanders are going to trade him.

Reactions: bigtim1988

Jester9881

May 16, 2006
Long Island NY
NHL radio had a 10 min discussion about all the teams JT would help at the trade deadline. Once the NYI are in 12th place at the trade deadline and have to move him.

This team gets zero respect

This is what happens when a handful of the teams fans spout off saying stupid things. Other fans see them say it and think "well, even Islander fans say the team sucks and Tavares should leave". Threads like this is why so much nonsense is heralded as truth concerning the team. Go around and check other team boards and see how many bottom 5 teams calling the Islanders trash and penciling Tavares into their lineups.

ScaredStreit

May 5, 2006
Tampa, FL
I hope the handful of dummies that trashed JT in this thread know that other team boards are using this thread to fuel the idea the Islanders are going to trade him.

Although fans bashing Tavares here were wrong...who cares what other fanbases say? Not me.

The truth is as each game goes by with him not re-signed, he's one step closer to leaving. If we take our bias out of the equation...what real reason does he have at staying? Arena situation? No. Talented team? No. Region stability? No. Low taxes/cost of living? No. Recent team success? No. I don't get how anybody could honestly still think he's staying at this point-and quite frankly I wouldn't blame him whatsoever if he left. The writing's been on the wall for a while now.

13th Floor

Oct 10, 2008
Although fans bashing Tavares here were wrong...who cares what other fanbases say? Not me.

The truth is as each game goes by with him not re-signed, he's one step closer to leaving. If we take our bias out of the equation...what real reason does he have at staying? Arena situation? No. Talented team? No. Region stability? No. Low taxes/cost of living? No. Recent team success? No. I don't get how anybody could honestly still think he's staying at this point-and quite frankly I wouldn't blame him whatsoever if he left. The writing's been on the wall for a while now.

You don't get how anyone can think that? Isn't that kind of ridiculous? Surely you have the capacity to imagine a scenario in which a person who is nothing like you would make a decision that would differ from the decision you or others would make?

I don't think anyone is running to Vegas to place bets on Tavares staying, but this over the top hedging your bets so you can either be happy that he stays or dig up old posts to prove to everyone you were right is tiresome.

There's plenty of reason for him to stay. There's plenty of reason for him to go elsewhere as well. If I came in here and said there's no chance that he leaves and I can't even imagine a scenario in which he did or why anyone would think he would, wouldn't I sound ridiculous?

And I disagree with the "each day that goes by thing". I don't think him not signing before game #12 is any different than him not signing before game #11. These are plateaus of key dates, not some gradual and linear sky is falling crap that the media is stirring up.

Once July 1st 2017 passed and then the season started, I feel like the simplest answer is the correct one. Nothing will happen until the Isles season is over. I don't think he signs mid-season. I don't think the Isles trade him. And I think he either signs or walks in the summer and a chunk of his decision (not all) will be based on the success Isles have this year and the arena situation.

ScaredStreit

May 5, 2006
Tampa, FL
You don't get how anyone can think that? Isn't that kind of ridiculous? Surely you have the capacity to imagine a scenario in which a person who is nothing like you would make a decision that would differ from the decision you or others would make?

I don't think anyone is running to Vegas to place bets on Tavares staying,
but this over the top hedging your bets so you can either be happy that he stays or dig up old posts to prove to everyone you were right is tiresome.

There's plenty of reason for him to stay. There's plenty of reason for him to go elsewhere as well. If I came in here and said there's no chance that he leaves and I can't even imagine a scenario in which he did or why anyone would think he would, wouldn't I sound ridiculous?

And I disagree with the "each day that goes by thing". I don't think him not signing before game #12 is any different than him not signing before game #11. These are plateaus of key dates, not some gradual and linear sky is falling crap that the media is stirring up.

Once July 1st 2017 passed and then the season started, I feel like the simplest answer is the correct one. Nothing will happen until the Isles season is over. I don't think he signs mid-season. I don't think the Isles trade him. And I think he either signs or walks in the summer and a chunk of his decision (not all) will be based on the success Isles have this year and the arena situation.

Oh they most certainly were running to the bank, even as recently as this past June.

Why should Tavares stay with the Islanders? What benefits do we have to offer him? 8th year on his contract is really the only one I can think of.

This team has accomplished little to nothing over the past decade (literally) that Snow's been GM. Making the playoffs and losing in the 1st round is what average teams in this league do (more than 50% of the teams accomplish at least that every season). They've won ONE playoff series...where they (seemingly) intentionally lost at the end of the regular season to play the 2nd worst team in the NHL playoffs...and even then Tavares and Greiss had to carry the team on their backs. What did they do in the 2nd round? They lost in 5 games to Tampa.

So 1 playoff series win over the past 5 years and outright missing the playoffs twice (including last year).

The sky isn't falling-it fell a long time ago, some just haven't accepted that fact yet.

PS: Your post still doesn't give specific reasons as to why he should stay.

BKIsles

Jan 22, 2013
Oh they most certainly were running to the bank, even as recently as this past June.

Why should Tavares stay with the Islanders? What benefits do we have to offer him? 8th year on his contract is really the only one I can think of.

This team has accomplished little to nothing over the past decade (literally) that Snow's been GM. Making the playoffs and losing in the 1st round is what average teams in this league do (more than 50% of the teams accomplish at least that every season). They've won ONE playoff series...where they (seemingly) intentionally lost at the end of the regular season to play the 2nd worst team in the NHL playoffs...and even then Tavares and Greiss had to carry the team on their backs. What did they do in the 2nd round? They lost in 5 games to Tampa.

So 1 playoff series win over the past 5 years and outright missing the playoffs twice (including last year).

The sky isn't falling-it fell a long time ago, some just haven't accepted that fact yet.

So tiresome. What makes you think a top contending team magically has all this cap space for JT for 7 years?

This idea that JT can go anywhere is not quite true, many teams are limited by their own superstars who will be or are already commanding major contracts. Most likely he would have to go to a team with a talent base comparable to what we have now to accommodate his massive contract, or else take a contract hit, which I don't think he will do at 27 y/o.

Here's one good reason to stay, we have new ownership, and a greater revenue stream to push ourselves towards the top of the salary cap, something we couldn't do in the first 7 years of JT's career. We just moved to an enhanced practice facility that doesn't make us the laughingstock of the NHL anymore. JT is also the face of our franchise, which he wouldn't necessarily be in another market.

The team also isn't this ball of gloom and doom you portray it out to be either. We have a solid mix of talent, sure I think we need a piece or two, but every team minus maybe the Lightning, in the NHL is saying that right now.

People keep harping on Snow, but seriously, we had an empty cupboard and no supplies to change that until 2015. He's done a good job with the talent considering how pathetic our situation was at the Coliseum.

Things are finally breaking our way, if we get Belmont, it will put us over the top as a franchise, and I hope JT is still wearing the "C" when that happens.

majormet

Nov 12, 2009
Dix Hills, NY

There are reasons to stay if the team solidifies a deal with Belmont Park, if they are in limbo it almost makes no sense to stay, will JT be playing in Kansas City, Quebec or Seattle if he signs this deal, too much of a crapshoot,

But if the Isles get the Belmont deal, reasons to stay

1. It is annoying to move, there is a lot of comfort in staying and he likes the area (from what we have heard in articles)
2. He has a lot of friends on the team
3. The team with him in the lineup has a shot at the cup if they bring in a top pairing dman. At this point that is what stands between the Isles and a deep playoff run

I can't think of much else, it is an ideal scenario if they are in Belmont, he can live in Muttowntown or some place like that and commute to East Meadow to practice and go to Elmont on game day, not much hassle there... as for golf, we have great courses and it is not like he is going to be playing golf during the hockey season, unless he is Cespedes who gets hurt playing golf.

13th Floor

Oct 10, 2008

I didn't feel the need to lay out reasons why he would stay/leave because the purpose of my post was not to discuss the probability of him staying but was pointing out that projecting your thoughts and irritation with this franchise (which we all share) has no bearing on whether he would sign or not. That was my point. I took issue with the fact that you said "I don't understand how anyone could believe he's staying" just reeks of hyperbole and it makes it hard to take it seriously.

Why would he stay? I don't know really, but it happens all the time in sports. He likes the area? He likes his teammates? He likes the history? Maybe he sees the career of Doan and what he meant for that franchise and he likes that? Maybe he sees the career of Parise and his desire to get a cup in Minny that basically isn't working any better than what he had at the Devils? The 8th year of guaranteed money (as you said)? Maybe he likes the limited travel in the Northeast? Maybe he sees promise in some prospects and has a rapport with them? Maybe he wants to be a hero here? Maybe he holds loyalty over other things? Maybe he has a cat that is sort of sick and he doesn't want to relocate him? Why did other players sign here? Boychuk? Leddy? Ladd? Clutterbuck? Forget what you think of these players, but thinking they didn't have options on the open market (or to get to the open market) is ridiculous.

I am purposely being a bit facetious above because my point is that we have no idea. The dude is a piece of cardboard and while I'm sure winning makes him tick, we really aren't sure what that translates to when it comes to his decision making. How does any team outside of the top 5 cup contenders sign any players? Those guys don't care about winning as much as Tavares? Non cup contending teams sign players every off-season. You could do a lot worse than a team that has the 10th most points in the league over the last 3 years (yea, that's us). You could do a lot better (lol), but that's a different topic. When I read about this Tavares situation, it's always littered with these implications that 30 other destinations would be a better move for him and get him closer to the cup when it just isn't the case.

And what would make him leave? He doesn't like the arena situation? He's not confident in the future of the team? He's unhappy with not being a true cup contender [yet]? He doesn't like the vision of the owners/GM? He doesn't like his teammates? There are a small handful of teams that can afford him and he believes are closer to a cup run than the Isles are and that's all we care about? He doesn't like Shannon? Butch can't pronounce his middle name?

Again, I really don't know. There's certainly reasons for him to go elsewhere. I think we all know the failures of the franchise over the last 20 years. I mean, we're all Isles fans -- this isn't new information. But that is only part of his decision and not the smoking gun proof that he's leaving. No franchise can go from bad to good or vice versa? Weren't the Blackhawks a ridiculous joke under Dollar Bill? And the Penguins bankrupt? I'm not saying the Isles are destined for a resurgence (outside of the fact that we've all endured enough and I hope life just isn't that cruel) -- I'm saying that the logic is flawed.

Bottom line is that we all know the team has had a putrid 20 years. All I'm saying is you, or I, or anybody, have no idea what Tavares is going to do. I'm going somewhere around 60/40 that he leaves as of right now and sticking with the decision happening in the off-season. From your post, though, I guess maybe you do have an idea what Tavares is going to do because you have it at 100/0 that he's leaving. That's what I took issue with and commented on - your projection of your own irritation with the team onto Tavares' decision and essentially ridiculing anybody who isn't as enlightened as you.

majormet

Nov 12, 2009
Dix Hills, NY
I do think the biggest deciding factor to sign JT and Bailey (who cares about the other guys), would be to go on a cup run

I don't love Mike Green, but do love Cam Ward even at 33 (and he would sign here)

So if you are the Isles would you deal 2-3 weeks before the deadline to bring Green and Ward here as potential UFA"s, Detroit and Carolina would have to pick up Kulemin, Halak and Hickey along with futures in these kinds of deals and futures would be draft picks or lower prospects like Wotherspoon or maybe and only maybe MDC

Isles could finish with best record in the Eastern Conf with those additions, as Ward will win games for you and Green will contribute on the PP. If Belmont ruling is closer in March and we are gliding through the East, you may be able to keep JT and Bailey.

I only advocate adding those 2 guys if a Cup is likely as it would either keep JT/Bailey here or at least give us one thrill before another rebuild.

Bones45

Dec 7, 2005
N/A
Pretty obvious that its up to JT. He wants to sign tomorrow, he can probably write his own check.

But he aint.

kmo429

Jul 22, 2011
Not sure if this is the place for it, or time for it (not tryign to jinx anything,) but damn our top 6 is really f***ing good.

Lee-Tavares-Bailey
Ladd-Barzal-Eberle

Has to be one of the ebst top 6's in the whole league right now.

mm11

Jan 26, 2005
Fleming island, Fl
The fluid transitions from lottery talk to cup talk are a thing of beauty on HF boards. If only real life worked as simply as it does here.

The league really is so competitive. Heck, look at the raggies, all of a sudden they are on a 3 game winnig streak and sniffing playoff position. The Isles need to just put their collective heads down and grind out points. Let's see who is standing in March. Why not us being a legit contender? Green or Ward would be welcome additions no doubt.

Reactions: dood and thedonger

YearlyLottery

The Pooch Report
Feb 7, 2013
South Carolina
Reading people try to dissect why in the world Tavares would stay here in funny. I would say that 99% of people you ever meet could live a much better life somewhere else in United States but won't move there for a variety of reasons. Maybe they want to stay near family, maybe they like the town they live in even though they could make more money elsewhere, or they could even like the weather more at their current home than the one that they want to live in.

I can't be the only one that thinks it is a little ridiculous that people are only bringing up taxes and the Islanders in his thought process of staying here or not.

MetsJetsIsles22

Oct 27, 2013
Reading people try to dissect why in the world Tavares would stay here in funny. I would say that 99% of people you ever meet could live a much better life somewhere else in United States but won't move there for a variety of reasons. Maybe they want to stay near family, maybe they like the town they live in even though they could make more money elsewhere, or they could even like the weather more at their current home than the one that they want to live in.

I can't be the only one that thinks it is a little ridiculous that people are only bringing up taxes and the Islanders in his thought process of staying here or not.

in my mind this is very simple:
1- this is about the location of a potential arena and JT dislikes commuting from LI to BK for work. If Belmont is secured, he stays.
2-JT has no intention of staying here and does not want to remain in NY.
only time will tell

taxes, etc are high here- we all know this. but none of us will be signing an 80-100 MILLION dollar contract- if he likes it here, and wants to raise a family here, he of all people would not care about taxes because he has more money than god

aronjudge11

Jul 2, 2017
find another barzal type and send tavares packing. the fans love young players anyway they will forget tavares in a week if the player is effective like Barzal. the guy is asking to be traded by not signing. hes telling you hes not into this team.

Jester9881

May 16, 2006
Long Island NY
Reasons he stays:
1. I'm going to take the mans word on it and believe he likes the area, his team mates, coaching staff and owners (Franchise)
2. This is his team. He's the face, he's the captain
3. I believe he likes that he can do what he loves and be relatively anonymous in public. I don't think he likes the spotlight once he takes the skates off
4. This is a competitive team now, regardless of what some might believe (he's stated this team is a contender)
5. With a top 5ish farm system and young nucleus, this team is primed to be good for a long while
6. Ownership has shown they are willing to spend on the roster (Ladd, Eberle, Leddy) and beyond (practice facility, possible arena etc)

How many teams can offer all of that, while giving him $10m+? He's going to sign here, and it's going to be for less money than people think.... and the "Tavares is over rated" threads will start up again on the main board almost immediately.

PK Cronin

Bailey Fan Club Prez
Feb 11, 2013
find another barzal type and send tavares packing. the fans love young players anyway they will forget tavares in a week if the player is effective like Barzal. the guy is asking to be traded by not signing. hes telling you hes not into this team.

All of your posts are negative, which is telling me you're not into this team.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad