Tavares and the excuses

Rehabguy

Always open minded
Oct 2, 2011
1. If somehow the Isles signed on the dotted line today getting a new arena, guess what -- JT still isn't signing a contract with the Isles. Ya know why? He is using that as a tactic and rationale not to make a deal until he checks out the open market. If you think teams aren't already reaching out to him, you are mistaken.

2. The drive of a superstar player in any league is beyond what anyone on this board knows. He wants to be the best in the world and win every $&@& trophy and have success in every level. He has been exceptional in every aspect of hockey so far.. so there is no way he is going to be content in staying in a team which celebrates one season where they had a PO series victory. Make no mistake, his goal is to win the Cup and there is no way that is going to happen with the Islanders.. which brings me to point #3.

3. This organization is a joke. There is no hockey based reason why he would stay with the Isles. Not one. I don't need to expand on this. If you don't agree -- just google it.

If he does end up resigning long term, I'd be shocked and question his end game. ($$ vs Stanley Cup success)

But why do you remain an Islander fan? There are 31 other teams out there. Clearly there is nothing this joke of an organization offers you so really you should just leave it as a fan. There's nothing here left for you. Be happy man and just leave the team. You and a few others have punished yourselves enough over the past 25 years. You are free to go. The door is open. Personally I've enjoyed the team I see before me for the past 5 or 6 years or so, regardless of the wins or losses. It's been a great ride!

Last edited:
Reactions: SteveH124

Costigan77

Oct 7, 2014
Manhasset, NY
1. If somehow the Isles signed on the dotted line today getting a new arena, guess what -- JT still isn't signing a contract with the Isles. Ya know why? He is using that as a tactic and rationale not to make a deal until he checks out the open market. If you think teams aren't already reaching out to him, you are mistaken.

2. The drive of a superstar player in any league is beyond what anyone on this board knows. He wants to be the best in the world and win every $&@& trophy and have success in every level. He has been exceptional in every aspect of hockey so far.. so there is no way he is going to be content in staying in a team which celebrates one season where they had a PO series victory. Make no mistake, his goal is to win the Cup and there is no way that is going to happen with the Islanders.. which brings me to point #3.

3. This organization is a joke. There is no hockey based reason why he would stay with the Isles. Not one. I don't need to expand on this. If you don't agree -- just google it.

If he does end up resigning long term, I'd be shocked and question his end game. ($$ vs Stanley Cup success)

So jump ship buddy. Every post you wallow over everything. What have the Islanders ever done for you then? Seems you loathe them. Seems like your love is more for being a victim than being an Islander fan. Whatever floats your boat. Enjoy!

Bones45

Dec 7, 2005
N/A
But why do you remain an Islander fan? There are 31 other teams out there. Clearly there is nothing this joke of an organization offers you so really you should just leave it as a fan. There's nothing here left for you. Be happy man and just leave the team. You and a few others have punished yourselves enough over the past 25 years. You are free to go. The door is open. Personally I've enjoyed the team I see before me for the past 5 or 6 years or so, regardless of the wins or losses. It's been a great ride!

So jump ship buddy. Every post you wallow over everything. What have the Islanders ever done for you then? Seems you loathe them. Seems like your love is more for being a victim than being an Islander fan. Whatever floats your boat. Enjoy!

You guys are so sweet to worry about me. Appreciate the guidance tho....

#DidntDisagreeWithWhatISaid

WangMustGo

Mar 31, 2008
Long Island
I really think there are posters on this board who are dying for JT to leave so they can continue wallowing in self-pity.

Losing JT will be very tough, but resigning JT to a huge contract will be hard as well. The last thing this organization can do is lose JT for nothing

If he isn't resigned by the deadline you have to explore the option of trading him and the other UFAs on this team.

Losing JT, DeHaan, and Bailey for nothing would criple this team for years to come. Getting good young players/picks for these guys will atleast excelerate a rebuild.

I hope he is resigned, but we need to explore all options.

Bexlyspeed

May 21, 2011
Astoria, Queens, N.Y
huge contract to the only legit guy we have shouldn't be hard.
lets draft more guys in the top 5 that are hit or miss, or more defenseman that the brain trust of this team are too scared to play but too embarrassed to give up on.

Tavares is the least of this organizations troubles. I understand if he goes we don't want him to go for nothing, but either way this sets the team back , WAAAYYY back.

MJF

Hope is not a strategy
Sep 6, 2003
NYC
I think it would be funny to watch the reaction on this board.
I don’t know if he’s going to leave but I’m positive he’s going to test the waters on July 1st. You don’t play out your contract without going to free agency and seeing what else is out there.

Reactions: Bones45

crasherino

May 9, 2013
I don’t know if he’s going to leave but I’m positive he’s going to test the waters on July 1st. You don’t play out your contract without going to free agency and seeing what else is out there.

But what does that do really? I'm sure he knows full well who will give him a blank check. What happens on July 1st that's any different than now?

Assuming he's contemplating leaving, I'm sure Brisson has mapped out the possibilities and JT has given his input as to where he wants to go. (Again assuming that he wants to leave).

It's not like the Islanders are restricted in paying him (like Stamkos). He says $11m - the Isles hand him a suitcase full of benjamins.

aronjudge11

Jul 2, 2017
Tavares doesnt care about money. He never talks about money. He talks about winning. He signed for a discount last time. The guy will be called by every team in the NHL when he is a free agent. Any GM that doesnt call his agent to show interest will be fired by his owner. Every team in hockey will create at least 6 million, some will create 7 or 8 million and probably 15 teams would create 9-11 million. 4th liners that score 12 goals a year get 3.5 million. Tavares pays for his contract just by being a superstar. Its essentially free money so the cap is the only issue.

MJF

Hope is not a strategy
Sep 6, 2003
NYC
But what does that do really? I'm sure he knows full well who will give him a blank check. What happens on July 1st that's any different than now?

Assuming he's contemplating leaving, I'm sure Brisson has mapped out the possibilities and JT has given his input as to where he wants to go. (Again assuming that he wants to leave).

It's not like the Islanders are restricted in paying him (like Stamkos). He says $11m - the Isles hand him a suitcase full of benjamins.
It gives other suitors a chance to clear cap space for him if they are going to become a dark horse entry into a potential Tavares sweepstakes.

If Tavares wasn’t interested in testing the market he would have signed already and not risked his career being 1 hit away from blowing out his knee.

BMOK33

Oct 5, 2005
Losing JT will be very tough, but resigning JT to a huge contract will be hard as well. The last thing this organization can do is lose JT for nothing

If he isn't resigned by the deadline you have to explore the option of trading him and the other UFAs on this team.

Losing JT, DeHaan, and Bailey for nothing would criple this team for years to come. Getting good young players/picks for these guys will atleast excelerate a rebuild.

I hope he is resigned, but we need to explore all options.

I have zero interest in signing DeHaan or Bailey. Those guys are easily replaceable with the likes of Mayfield Pulock or Pelech and Ho Sang Beau Barzal Bellows etc. The only guy they really need to sign after JT is Lee

WangMustGo

Mar 31, 2008
Long Island
I have zero interest in signing DeHaan or Bailey. Those guys are easily replaceable with the likes of Mayfield Pulock or Pelech and Ho Sang Beau Barzal Bellows etc. The only guy they really need to sign after JT is Lee

I don't think either one of them will be easily replaced. Bailey gets underappreciated around here. He doesn't do anything great, but does everything well.

I would like to keep them both IF Tavares is resigned. If JT isn't resigned by the deadline I think you have to move both Dehaan and Bailey.

majormet

Nov 12, 2009
Dix Hills, NY
I don't think either one of them will be easily replaced. Bailey gets underappreciated around here. He doesn't do anything great, but does everything well.

I would like to keep them both IF Tavares is resigned. If JT isn't resigned by the deadline I think you have to move both Dehaan and Bailey.

If there is a lesson to learn from 2015/2016 it is to try and keep some core guys, Bailey and CDH aren't all stars but they are core guys, assuming this team will lose JT, Kulemin, Chimera, Hickey and Seidenberg, and we lost the 2 aforementioned guys as well as Halak

Assuming Isles have 15 forwards with Quine and Prince hurt and 8 dmen.

We drop to 11 forwards and 5 dmen, which means adding MDC and Toews next year and some dumpster dives, but a lot of money avail to sign Turris, Atkinson, and Sbisa, which would ease the loss of so many players, but our identity would be messed up. You would have Boychuk become the captain I think. So if you kept Bailey and CDH you would not need to sign Atkinson and Sbisa and would overpay by 30% to get Turris to fill JT's shoes.... Turris as a #1C has gone far in the playoffs

Islanders4Cups

May 4, 2002
Boston, MA USA
Monster game to quiet those questioning his ability to put the puck in the net. He is still elite for the doubters out there. Now if he would just sign already.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad