Helene St. James Tatar the latest Detroit castoff to disappoint

Ezekial

Cheap Pizza, Okay Hockey
Sponsor
Nov 22, 2015
Chicago
Vegas will need him next year when they lose players to FA. They wanted a cost controlled 20+ goal scorer for the coming years when their lineup is leaner.
That being said they're definitely disappointed he's scratched. I think he should play over Carpenter and I can't blame them for not putting him in the fourth line.

Last edited:
Reactions: Winger98

Pavels Dog

Feb 18, 2013
Sweden
Wouldn’t surprise me if he bounces back with a big year next season. Confidence is huge for guys like Tats, hard to go from a struggling team and rough season and feel super confident coming into a new team. He is obviously way better than being a healthy scratch, but everything about Vegas is nonsensical.

Red Stanley

Apr 25, 2015
USA
I think Tatar's future in Vegas depends more on the team around him doing well, than the other way around. He'll have plenty of time to acclimate next year.

Run the Jewels

Make Detroit Great Again
Jun 22, 2006
In the Garage
I really like the trade regardless of how Tatar does in Vegas. I don't have any ill will towards Tats or Mrazek. We need to shed salary and gain draft picks; both trades are successes based on those goals.

Reactions: Marky9er

chris05

May 23, 2013
"That being said they're definitely disappointed he's scratched. I think he should play over Carpenter and I can't blame them for not putting him in the fourth line."
---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
His point production since he arrived in Vegas is not very good. Play off hockey is big boys hockey. TT can't offer the Knights something they don't already have. The Knights thinking is a little different than the wings thought process. Who would have thought you play to win the game....now there's a thought.....

Nut Upstrom

You dirty dog!
Dec 18, 2010
Florida
I haven't read the article, but it seems a little premature. There's no telling what Tatar can accomplish this year or for the duration of his contract with Vegas.
Vegas is through to round two and Tomas will likely find himself back in the line-up at some point - injuries happen, losses happen, rosters get tinkered with all the time, his grade is still an 'incomplete' for this post-season.
Having said that, we've seen a sampling of Tatar in the playoffs and it seems to be a style of play that he is ill-suited for (Nyquist as well). I think Vegas will come to be okay with this trade based on Tatar's regular season numbers the next few years, but we should know better than to really expect anything out of him come playoff time.
But who knows? Time will tell.

chris05

May 23, 2013
I suppose 34 points in 82 games isn't great. That said, 20 goal scorers don't grow on trees. That's at least top9.
_______________________________________________________________________________________

Is that what 5 plus million gets you these days. News flash if Tatar plays top 9 with no pp time.... he does not touch 10 goals a year.​

Hen Kolland

Feb 22, 2018
"That being said they're definitely disappointed he's scratched. I think he should play over Carpenter and I can't blame them for not putting him in the fourth line."
---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
His point production since he arrived in Vegas is not very good. Play off hockey is big boys hockey. TT can't offer the Knights something they don't already have. The Knights thinking is a little different than the wings thought process. Who would have thought you play to win the game....now there's a thought.....

Honest curiosity, before the deadline what would you have done with the team if you were the coach? What lines/pairings would you run out on a nightly basis? Who would play on the powerplay? For the sake of this activity, let's not talk about trading or cutting people or calling up people. Just pretend you replaced Blashill to start this year, how do you handle the nightly lineups?

Hen Kolland

Feb 22, 2018
I suppose 34 points in 82 games isn't great. That said, 20 goal scorers don't grow on trees. That's at least top9.
_______________________________________________________________________________________
Is that what 5 plus million gets you these days. News flash if Tatar plays top 9 with no pp time.... he does not touch 10 goals a year.​

But he has 11 even strength goals this year playing top 9 minutes...and 20 last year, and 14 the year before that, and 20 the year before that, and 17 the year before that

njx9

Feb 1, 2016

Given how bad the rest of the offense is, I don't think this says as much as you think it says.

He's not an elite winger, nor was he paid like one. Then again, aside from Z, nobody on the team is paid like they're anything more than 'good' on their best day. What are you even arguing?

kliq

Dec 17, 2017
Why do people even still read what this hack has to write?
She gave Jimmy Howard an A- grade for the season!

Let that sink in for a second.

I didnt know that, given that you do is it fair to assume you in fact read what she writes. :D

Bench

3 is a good start
Aug 14, 2011
crease
And if Tatar is not that good a player and we need to give credit to Holland for trading him, then we need to also blame him for drafting him.

A great sign when you move an nonperforming piece for value.

A bad sign when that piece was one of your best players.

ManwithNoIdentity

Jun 4, 2016
Kalamazoo, MI
I find it kinda humorous that right after Smith, Mrazek and Tatar were traded that they would flourish on their new teams and they were just disappointing because they played with our lineup at the time

kliq

Dec 17, 2017
Not really, Kukla's had it on his page

bd3a5d38cbbb5ef5c39c15c63810fb8970bedddf2122976517b75fb9725a7a2f.jpg

Redder Winger

May 4, 2017
Why do people even still read what this hack has to write?
She gave Jimmy Howard an A- grade for the season!
Let that sink in for a second.

Bingo.
And lots of people agree with that assessment. Even while they cried about Mrazek.
Yet....
Mrazek - 8 wins in 18 starts. .910 sv pct 2.89GAA
Howard - 22 wins in 60 starts. .910 sv pct. 2.85GAA

Those stats are the same. Mrazek's better actually, when you factor in wins/points. And that's despite the fact that Mrazek was rarely given a chance to get in a rhythm. And despite Howard's great start and Mrazek's poor start.

And yet some people, like Chris Osgood, suggest that Howard was one of Detroit's MVPs.

The greatest irony with Blashill, is that this guy constantly said he wanted the lineup that would give him the best lineup to win.

Yet he constantly MOD (harmed himself...) with his own dumb decisions.

If AA played all year in the top 6 and Mrazek started 50 games, my guess is we'd be drafting 12th instead of 6th.

Last edited by a moderator:

Nut Upstrom

You dirty dog!
Dec 18, 2010
Florida
Bingo.
And lots of people agree with that assessment. Even while they cried about Mrazek.
Yet....
Mrazek - 8 wins in 18 starts. .910 sv pct 2.89GAA
Howard - 22 wins in 60 starts. .910 sv pct. 2.85GAA

Those stats are the same. Mrazek's better actually, when you factor in wins/points. And that's despite the fact that Mrazek was rarely given a chance to get in a rhythm. And despite Howard's great start and Mrazek's poor start.

And yet some people, like Chris Osgood, suggest that Howard was one of Detroit's MVPs.

The greatest irony with Blashill, is that this guy constantly said he wanted the lineup that would give him the best lineup to win.

Yet he constantly MOD (harmed himself...) with his own dumb decisions.

If AA played all year in the top 6 and Mrazek started 50 games, my guess is we'd be drafting 12th instead of 6th.

All of which has nothing to do with Tomas Tatar.
Isn't there already a "Mrazek trade" thread you can go to and post those very same numbers for like the 12th time?

Redder Winger

May 4, 2017
All of which has nothing to do with Tomas Tatar.
Isn't there already a "Mrazek trade" thread you can go to and post those very same numbers for like the 12th time?

"latest Detroit castoff to disappoint" is right in the thread title.
Mrazek is one of those castoffs.

Nut Upstrom

You dirty dog!
Dec 18, 2010
Florida
"latest Detroit castoff to disappoint" is right in the thread title.
Mrazek is one of those castoffs.

Just seems to be an awful long way to drag a dead horse just so you can beat it again with the exact same numbers you used to kill it in the first place. It also seems like quite a stretch to assume the thread title opens the door for turning this into another Mrazek thread, but go right ahead dude.

The Zetterberg Era

Ball Hockey Sucks
Nov 8, 2011
Ft. Myers, FL
tenor.gif

Let's get this back on topic of Tatar.

Wings guys not doing well isn't a good message anyway, I cannot believe they green-lighted a HSJ hit piece. Again I don't read her stuff so I am not sure how big the dig was. But I want to trade Nyquist for a nice return and some of our other guys, if all our guys play like dog doo when they leave that isn't good. What Sheahan is doing is good for us, what Tatar and Smith are doing is concerning. We still want to get some value moving forward. I think Tatar will get a Top 6 role with them next year and even this out a bit. Surely has been disappointing this season though for them, honestly a little surprising, his personality was one I thought would handle the trade well and jump start his energy and I haven't seen that at all, he looks lost right now.

Reactions: kliq

Fil Larkmanthanasiou

Feb 10, 2018
It's entirely too early to declare a "winner" for this trade. Detroit will be lucky if the player they draft with the pick ends up becoming a consistent 20 goal scorer in the NHL.
They actually got 3 picks (a first, second and third) for him and I would say that the odds are slightly in favour of one of them becoming as good or better player than Tatar (of course he may be a d-man or a goalie and never score twenty but still be as good or better player than Tats).

Fil Larkmanthanasiou

Feb 10, 2018
I mean, Tatar's production has never been anything short of a bonafide top6 guy.

And if Tatar is not that good a player and we need to give credit to Holland for trading him, then we need to also blame him for drafting him.
Any time you draft a player out of the first round that becomes a regukar in the NHL, it's a good pick.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad