Helene St. James Tatar the latest Detroit castoff to disappoint

Redder Winger

May 4, 2017
Tatar needs to work on his quickness. He's lost quite a bit of it, probably because he bulked up too much trying to get heavy to please coaches.

SoupGuru

May 12, 2007
Spokane
I haven't watched much playoff hockey until the second round but I'm totally on the Vegas bandwagon.

And watching how they play, I can totally understand why Tatar is benched. He'd have trouble finding a place in their go go go tenacious style of play.

chris05

May 23, 2013
Tatar is being scratched in Vegas during the playoffs?

No wonder I didn’t notice him in the ice.
----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

He must be injured.....no way anybody is that stupid to pay a player over 5M. that can't dress in an early playoff round.

RedWingsfan55

Jan 5, 2015
Tatar is being scratched in Vegas during the playoffs?

No wonder I didn’t notice him in the ice.
----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

He must be injured.....no way anybody is that stupid to pay a player over 5M. that can't dress in an early playoff round.

Unlike some teams(red wings) vegas apparently believes in starting their best 12 forwards not the 12 highest paid.

Reactions: mjtm777

Electric Eric

#91 To the Rafters!
Feb 10, 2014
Portland -> Netherlands
Or they put chemistry gained over a season over pure talent.

There's no way Tatar isn't better than Nosek.

Yup, Vega's lines have been pretty consistent over the season and the system Vegas is running is VERY different from the Wings.

It's a bummer he's a healthy scratch during their playoffs but I expect him to bounce back next year with no issues.

dragonballgtz

Jul 30, 2014
Watched Vegas a lot in these playoffs... Tatar is not compatible with the Vegas system. Maybe it will go better after a full camp with the team.

Last game he was making random passes to the middle of the ice to no one. On the forecheck stopping before he gets hit just to poke at the puck.

Whoshattenkirkshoes

Aug 11, 2014
Yup, Vega's lines have been pretty consistent over the season and the system Vegas is running is VERY different from the Wings.

It's a bummer he's a healthy scratch during their playoffs but I expect him to bounce back next year with no issues.
Uh this is very debatable. Tatar isn't that great of a player. I think he will bounce back and be a roster player, but I think we got away with a hell of a deal in that trade.

StargateSG1

Nov 26, 2016
They finish every check, they never stop skating, they don't "poke and hope".
Tatar is a good player, but it will take him time to forget the country club requirements he came from.

Reactions: mantha39 and lilidk

kliq

Dec 17, 2017
Tatar is a good player, but it will take him time to forget the country club requirements he came from.

I thought the narrative on our coach was that he was too hard on our players?

DarkReign

Jan 30, 2008

I think this is exactly it. Red Wings are a basement team and have been for 2+ years. Every player knew it coming in for training camp last year and this year. He gets traded to a team that...

It isnt even worth listing all the metaphors for Vegas at this stage. Obviously, no one believed in them except them. Now people notice, but no one did in training camp.

Tatar has to readjust to a contending team's mentality. Especially when the contending team isnt a normal contending team in star power, a la Pitt, TB, Caps, etc. Vegas is where it is right now because their first line is awesome and outplays the other team's most nights, roster-wide speed, depth and above all, dogged work ethic instilled by an excellent coach.

Tatar will contribute next year for them or even last night's goal gets him going, but Vegas plays a risky, attacking forecheck, something Tats isnt very good at. Vegas is great between the bluelines and can move the puck up ice and make plays, yes, but what separates them being good to great, is their tenacious forecheck. They hound opposing defences, constant pressure, it wears on the other team mentally, makes them do things a beat faster than they want to, or opt for a safer play because they dont want to turn it over. When youre tenative and safe, you dont usually win against good teams. Meanwhile, Vegas plays like they have nothing to lose and nothing to prove. They play loose, they play fun and if it doesnt work that night, they do the same damn thing tomorrow. Its fun to watch.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->