Rumor: Tarasenko fires agents

Nikishin Go Boom

Russian Bulldozer Consultent
Jul 31, 2017
What else is there to spend money on?

Sens have Korpisalo and Forsberg in net and defense is now full after re-signing Hamonic.

If the Sens could sign Tarasenko for a year @ 5M, that's a no brainer. Term is the issue.

Would be the best possible way they could utilize their cap space right now.
Pinto for one. A 3rd goalie with their backup with a bum knee. They can likely afford a 2-3 million forward, not 5

centipede2233

Sep 13, 2010
A quick check on Capfriendly shows 12 teams with more than $1M of the cap left.

13) St. Louis has $2.3M left but needs to sign a backup G.
14) Flames have $2.4M left and need to sign 3 forwards. Looking like 3 league mins.
15) Canes have $3.3M. Roster is pretty much set, but depends on moves on D. A likely candidate.
16) CBJ with ~$4M. Unlikely to have the space and Tank may not want to play for them.
17) Philadelphia - $11.7M with LTIR. They definitely have the space (moreso if they trade 50% of TDA). I don't think Tank would want to sign there but he could do so and could take term.
18) NJ - $5.6M. Honestly this should be a dark horse team to do it for one year.

19) EDM -$5.6M to re-sign Bouchard and McLeod. Will have to dump salary to make that work. No.
20) NY Rangers -$6M and need to find room for K'Andre and Lafreniere. No.
21) Sharks -$6.6M. They have the space, but I don't think Tank would want to play there.
22) Sabres - $6.7M. They could do it for one year, but probably will have a shit-ton of raises to give out the next year.

23) Bruins - $7M and need to re-sign Swayman and Frederic. Unlikely.
24) Sens - $7.5M and needs at least 3F. If they trade DeBrincat, they could sign him. Otherwise, no.
25) Wild - $8.3M but needs a goalie (starting goalie unless Fleury's the guy), 2 forwards, and 2 D. Unlikely to have space.
26) Jets - $8.6M but needs to sign Vilardi, and another F. Possible, but unlikely to have much space.
27) Preds - $8.8M. Has the space.
28) Kraken -$10M but need to re-sign Vince Dunn and 1F. Could make it work.
29) Red Wings - $13.5M. Could easily afford Tank and could give him term.

30) Coyotes - Probably a no
31) Blackhawks - $18M and only need 2D. A possible team if he wants to play next to Hall/Bedard and go to a contender at the deadline.
32) Ducks - $30M but need to re-sign Zegras, Terry, 2D, and the team sucks.

TLDR, it's his choice to take a 1 year term with a playoff team, or take more term and money with a non-playoff team. I'm kinda surprised New Jersey hasn't been mentioned much. That seems like a mutual fit. He could feasibly score a lot on that high-scoring team, but maybe he is afraid of being buried with good forwards already and having to play bottom 6.
How do the wild need a goalie, they have gustaffson

Hale The Villain

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Apr 2, 2008
Sens are desperate enough to give tarasenko term here and that concerns me

Probably just have to wait until Murray is bought out.

Can't sign him and then have Toronto manage to dump him to a team that chooses to just let him (probably) sit on LTIR most the year instead of buying him out.

Petes2424

Aug 4, 2005
Sens are desperate enough to give tarasenko term here and that concerns me
For their sake I hope not. He showed signs of his feet starting to go. It’s why he’s not getting term offers.

Anything more than 2 years will be scary. I’d rather sign Kane with the surgery. What’s he supposed to be back by? Christmas I think.

centipede2233

Sep 13, 2010
As long as he's not expecting PP1 time, I'm cool with him joining Ottawa (barring injuries)

I'd do a 2-3 year term at $5M AAV

That being said, Stutzle and Tarasenko on the ice at the same time would be a treat.
Tarasenko expected to be the captain in stlouis, that right their should tell you his expectations…

Flat Ronnie

Feb 11, 2014
Tarasenko and Kane are most beneficial to teams that are ready to win a cup now. Not a few years from now. Dont understand the obsession with Ottawa here. They might be knocking on the door to the playoffs, but there are at least a handful of far better teams in the East.

Qward

Because! That's why!
Jul 23, 2010
Behind you, look out
So if Toronto buys out Murray, instead of a 1.5m cap hit for Ottawa it becomes a $229,167 this season and $666,6667 next season? Am I understanding that correctly?

centipede2233

Sep 13, 2010
I don’t think any contenders have the $$$ tarasenko wants. I think he will take a one year deal on a non contender and get traded to a playoff team at the TDL.

TageGod

Aug 31, 2022
Sabres are rumored to be looking for a Forward after the Quinn injury. Surprised Kane isn't being linked to us yet. Tarasenko is an interesting option.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad