Rumor: Tarasenko fires agents

Discipline Daddy

Brentcent Van Burns
Nov 27, 2009
Raleigh, NC
I've been saying it for a week now, my fear of NJ swooping in and getting Vlad grows stronger every day. And he'll sign there easy because I genuinely don't think he wants out of the Metro area. It's obvious he wanted to stay a Ranger so what's the next best thing for him? The Devils.

And they'll give him the money because it:
1. will piss off NYR
2. might secure another series win against them next spring

I might throw up if this happens tbh
Yeah if I'm Vlad I'm talking with the Devs. They probably wouldn't offer any term other than 1 year, though. But feasibly if they sign Tank, they can almost choose between Toffoli or Tank going forward.

PromisedLand

I need more FOOD
Dec 3, 2016
Hogwarts
here is my top 5 guesses where Tank ends up

1) Hawks
2) Ducks
3) Flyers
4) Yotes
5) Kraken

so called "contending" teams don't have cap space to accommodate what he may be looking for even if it is 1 yr deal.

Petes2424

Aug 4, 2005
A quick check on Capfriendly shows 12 teams with more than $1M of the cap left.

13) St. Louis has $2.3M left but needs to sign a backup G.
14) Flames have $2.4M left and need to sign 3 forwards. Looking like 3 league mins.
15) Canes have $3.3M. Roster is pretty much set, but depends on moves on D. A likely candidate.
16) CBJ with ~$4M. Unlikely to have the space and Tank may not want to play for them.
17) Philadelphia - $11.7M with LTIR. They definitely have the space (moreso if they trade 50% of TDA). I don't think Tank would want to sign there but he could do so and could take term.
18) NJ - $5.6M. Honestly this should be a dark horse team to do it for one year.

19) EDM -$5.6M to re-sign Bouchard and McLeod. Will have to dump salary to make that work. No.
20) NY Rangers -$6M and need to find room for K'Andre and Lafreniere. No.
21) Sharks -$6.6M. They have the space, but I don't think Tank would want to play there.
22) Sabres - $6.7M. They could do it for one year, but probably will have a shit-ton of raises to give out the next year.

23) Bruins - $7M and need to re-sign Swayman and Frederic. Unlikely.
24) Sens - $7.5M and needs at least 3F. If they trade DeBrincat, they could sign him. Otherwise, no.
25) Wild - $8.3M but needs a goalie (starting goalie unless Fleury's the guy), 2 forwards, and 2 D. Unlikely to have space.
26) Jets - $8.6M but needs to sign Vilardi, and another F. Possible, but unlikely to have much space.
27) Preds - $8.8M. Has the space.
28) Kraken -$10M but need to re-sign Vince Dunn and 1F. Could make it work.
29) Red Wings - $13.5M. Could easily afford Tank and could give him term.

30) Coyotes - Probably a no
31) Blackhawks - $18M and only need 2D. A possible team if he wants to play next to Hall/Bedard and go to a contender at the deadline.
32) Ducks - $30M but need to re-sign Zegras, Terry, 2D, and the team sucks.

TLDR, it's his choice to take a 1 year term with a playoff team, or take more term and money with a non-playoff team. I'm kinda surprised New Jersey hasn't been mentioned much. That seems like a mutual fit. He could feasibly score a lot on that high-scoring team, but maybe he is afraid of being buried with good forwards already and having to play bottom 6.
I actually do think the Debrincat thing is holding things up for Tarasenko and Tatar probably. Kane is likely on the back burner, but if Detroit gets Debrincat, that would take them out of the Tarasenko thing and Ottawa looks like the destination. Strickland isn’t one to throw out BS. So that’s likely what’s happening.

Obviously the longer this goes on, Tarasenko may find a deal somewhere else. I just think it’s likely Ottawa he’s waiting for. And possibly Detroit too. If they don’t get Debrincat, they’re a team who could offer Tarasenko a nice 2-3 year deal.

I really do think these two teams are effecting why we haven’t seen Tarasenko sign yet. They need to just get this Debrincat thing done.

Zippy316

aka Zippo
Aug 17, 2012
New Jersey
I've been saying it for a week now, my fear of NJ swooping in and getting Vlad grows stronger every day. And he'll sign there easy because I genuinely don't think he wants out of the Metro area. It's obvious he wanted to stay a Ranger so what's the next best thing for him? The Devils.

And they'll give him the money because it:
1. will piss off NYR
2. might secure another series win against them next spring

I might throw up if this happens tbh
I doubt NJ goes after him. They likely keep one top nine spot open for Holtz/Clarke/Foote. If they were to sign anyone, I think they either bring back Tatar or sign someone for a bottom six role. It would probably be more of a utility forward than a scorer after adding Meier/Toffoli in the last year and having Holtz/Clarke who are almost ready.

It seems like NJ is keeping some cap space open waiting to see if they can make something work for Hellebuyck. They essentially have just enough space to fill out the roster and fit in Hellebucyk assuming Vanecek goes the other way.

egelband

Sep 6, 2008
Do you think one of them might be Game 7 in Boston Garden when he sealed the win with that gorgeous pass to Schenn through DeBrusk's legs or didn't you happen to see that one in all the years you have been assessing selfishness of players?

Tarasenko to a fault turns attention toward his teammates in interviews.

Your claim about him is aggressive nonsense.
Yeah. In his short Rangers tenure, the last thing I would have called him is ‘selfish’. He’s going to be a great contributor to any team he chooses.

DelZottoHitTheNetJK

Mar 10, 2011
I don't really get this saga. Either sign with a contender for 1x$3M or sign a fat one year contract with a bottom feeder with a handshake agreement that they'll make a legitimate effort to trade you to a contender at 50%.

He's not going to get dollars and term with a contender. I respect that he wants to win, but the cap is what is right now

Fistfullofbeer

May 9, 2011
Whidbey Island, WA
I don't really get this saga. Either sign with a contender for 1x$3M or sign a fat one year contract with a bottom feeder with a handshake agreement that they'll make a legitimate effort to trade you to a contender at 50%.

He's not going to get dollars and term with a contender. I respect that he wants to win, but the cap is what is right now
This is the way.

DistantThunderRep

Mar 8, 2018
Do they? They have $3M left when accounting for LTIR. Maybe a touch more if they scratch Haydn Fleury at $762k. But they have to re-sign Tanner Jeannot. I don't see them having room to fit in Tarasenko unless they do something like trading Nick Paul without getting cap back.
Sending down Myers.

Mr Positive

Cap Crunch Incoming
Nov 20, 2013
He likely goes to where he can get term. That means it likely isn't to a prime destination

I know it's not fair exactly, but if he's signed long term I bet he's going to look to LTIR retire for a big portion of it, especially if the team that signs him isn't a prime destination

LTIR is not just an objective assessment. It is equally about what the player is willing to put themselves through

Hale The Villain

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Apr 2, 2008
I don’t see how. 5 mil in cap space and we need to re-sign Pinto. We can hold out hope for a Murray buyout but that’s it.

Shold have found someone to retain on Kubalik.

Murray buyout is almost certainly happening, whether it's Toronto or a 3rd team.

Would open up an additional 1.3M in space. Could fit in Pinto and Tarasenko if Pinto took a cheap 1 year deal for 1.3M or less and Tarasenko gets the Dadonov contract (5x3).

Gil Gunderson

May 2, 2007
Ottawa, ON
Murray buyout is almost certainly happening, whether it's Toronto or a 3rd team.

Would open up an additional 1.3M in space. Could fit in Pinto and Tarasenko if Pinto took a cheap 1 year deal for 1.3M or less and Tarasenko gets the Dadonov contract (5x3).
I’m pretty sure a 3rd team buying him out won’t do anything for us.

Nikishin Go Boom

Russian Bulldozer Consultent
Jul 31, 2017
With Kubalik coming back in the deal, would they really burn their remaining space for Tarasenko? I doubt it

Hale The Villain

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Apr 2, 2008
With Kubalik coming back in the deal, wouldn’t they really burn their remaining space for Tarasenko? I doubt it

Team needs scoring. Kubalik isn't exactly a great replacement for DeBrincat.

Personally I'd pass on signing Tarasenko if it requires 5M or more on a multi-year deal, but I think that's what it would cost to convince him to play in Ottawa and Dorion is desperate.

SpezDispenser

Aug 15, 2007
We'll need you to take a pretty bonus laced contract for this to work, but we want you. Come here please?

Nikishin Go Boom

Russian Bulldozer Consultent
Jul 31, 2017
Team needs scoring. Kubalik isn't exactly a great replacement for DeBrincat.

Personally I'd pass on signing Tarasenko if it requires 5M or more on a multi-year deal, but I think that's what it would cost to convince him to play in Ottawa and Dorion is desperate.
5 million in space with the 2nd goalie on a bum knee and needing to re-sign pinto too.

Hale The Villain

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Apr 2, 2008
5 million in space with the 2nd goalie on a bum knee and needing to re-sign pinto too.

What else is there to spend money on?

Sens have Korpisalo and Forsberg in net and defense is now full after re-signing Hamonic.

If the Sens could sign Tarasenko for a year @ 5M, that's a no brainer. Term is the issue.

Would be the best possible way they could utilize their cap space right now.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad