Boston Globe TARA SULLIVAN: Word is out that Bruins players had their say in Bruce Cassidy’s firing. It’s a risky revelation.

TheReal13Linseman

Now accepting BitCoin
Oct 26, 2005
Nation's Capital
He was probabaly frustrated with having to work magic by wringing the best out of largely mediocre talent night after night after night and not being able to.

Let's see how the new coach fares in that regard.

I'm betting the results will likely be as The Who sang: "Meet the new boss; same as the old boss" in terms of results.

World of Wardlow

Unscripted Violence
Jul 13, 2006
Montreal
Not surprising to hear. I figured there were key players not liking him. Cassidy was stubborn for a long time, not wanting to adapt on the fly, make important changes when the team desperately needed so (i.e splitting the perfection line for balance), Krejci continuously getting shafted with the wingers yet continuing being productive etc etc.

The tricky thing was Cassidy being too honest with the media - flat out calling out players, and putting the blame on them (even though he had spoken to them first. It doesn't matter). You keep playing with fire, eventually you'll get burnt.

I f***ing despised his handling of Frederic. He clearly wanted something else other than physicality from him, and every single f***ing time he made a mistake or took a bad penalty, he was QUICK to f***ing punish the kid. IMO, Cassidy had it out for Frederic - he didn't like him.

Aussie Bruin

Sponsor
Aug 3, 2019
Victoria, Aus
He was probabaly frustrated with having to work magic by wringing the best out of largely mediocre talent night after night after night and not being able to.

I'm betting the results will likely be as The Who sang: "Meet the new boss; same as the old boss" in terms of results.

Probably. I actually in principle don't have a problem with Cassidy being removed - it was time for a change. But the inference from SweeNeely that someone else could have gotten more out of this roster is absurd. Cassidy maxed it out, just as he did every season of his tenure, regardless of whether or not his player management could have been better. Think there's room for argument that Bruce has to wear some of the 2021 playoff loss to the Islanders, and that's about it.

I wish Montgomery all the best and I think he's going to do a good job, but he's got a tough assignment and this team isn't going to suddenly morph into a top 1-2 in the division squad no matter how well he does. If he can just keep them ahead in the wildcard race that'll be an excellent result in itself.

There is a missing piece that nobody outside of the front office and Charlie Moore will ever see.

There was a blow-up in the room that Behind The B captured and the players knew the front office would see it and nobody else would.

Blow-up by the players or by Cassidy? Or just an all-in argument?

Last edited:
Reactions: PatriceBergeronFan

Cournoyer12

Mar 17, 2022
As long as Cassidy is gone I don't care how, why, where, whatever as long as Lady Byng is gone and never comes back.

Can't wait for Stone and others to turn on him in Vegas, just like what happened in Washington.

Cassidy sucks. Period.
You’re probably right, don’t see those Vegas Divas settling for his hard approach.

bobber

Jan 21, 2013
Kitchener Ontario
Interesting. Personally I had this team 1 and done with the way it was/is constructed and they had a lot of help with the bottom half of the east being a trainwreck. I think if another team or two weren't a dumpster fire outside of the top 8 all season it would have made the playoff picture very interesting down the stretch.

I think Bruce did the best with what he had. Curious if Monty's "softer" approach leads to the team coasting too much.

Guess we'll see.

No I had the question phrased right the first time thanks.
You can't make a silk purse out of a sows ear. Lots of injury issues and players just not up to snuff in the grind of the NHL playoffs. New approach now.

Reactions: Gonzothe7thDman

rocketdan9

Feb 5, 2009
Last edited:

MarchysNoseKnows

Big Hat No Cattle
Feb 14, 2018
@13:39. Tara Sullivan guest on T&R

Good lord was that terrible. My ears are bleeding

DiggityDog

2 Minutes for Ruffing
Nov 2, 2019
Cassidy has already found a new job, the Bruins have already found a new coach. Is the media so bored?

Reactions: Alicat

Gonzothe7thDman

Jun 24, 2007
Central, Ma
You can't make a silk purse out of a sows ear. Lots of injury issues and players just not up to snuff in the grind of the NHL playoffs. New approach now.

Yea it will be interesting to see if theres any improvement or if they finish in a WC spot again with another 1 and done with Monty at the helm.

Hopefully not. The one silver lining will be if he gets someone like Studnicka to take the next step in development where Cassidy wasn't able to (Or maybe stud just is who he is).

Hookslide

Nov 19, 2018
Harry Sinden threw more goalies under the bus than anyone I have known , especially after being knocked of the playoffs............Oh and Mike Millbury was right be hind him . Two guys that have shined the light on themselves for their failures.....

Stu Pidassle

Feb 7, 2013
Boston North Shore
Why are some people pretending this is something new? The same thing happened to the same coach almost 20 years ago.
I think that it was just time to make the change. I also think that Cassidy was a very good coach whose voice got stale for different reasons than what happened in Washington. The noise when he joined the B's was that the players didn't like him because he was unprepared when it came to structuring practices and overall approach. Cassidy admitted that he was not ready to be a head coach at the time. Hopefully he will learn from his time with Boston and Washington to learn to balance discipline with keeping things loose and free flowing.

Kate08

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Apr 30, 2010

Isn’t the chorus of that song “we don’t get fooled again”?

• Love
Reactions: TheReal13Linseman

DKH

The Bergeron of HF
Feb 27, 2002
Saw Fluto yesterday and he knows knew information has come out since his original article
I don't doubt the rumors about rifts with certain players. But I also don't think it's a negative on Cassidy, it's the simple reality of management providing lackluster players.

Spooner, Backes, Frederic, Blidh -- seriously? These are the players we're worried about? And then Debrusk, if anything he's now a better player for going through what he did. He had long stretches where he drifted and Cassidy saw it like everyone here did.

And then we look at the core -- Bergeron, Marchand, Pastrnak, McAvoy, Grzelcyk, Hall, Coyle. All these players have excelled under Bruce and always gave a full effort. Even Krejci respected Bruce's results and worked well with his system, even if it was Karson Kuhlman at his wing, which reminder: Kuhlman was the best player Sweeney / Neely was providing.

I can't believe the narrative management set up is starting to work around here.
you named the entire player group which is why he’s not coach - add in the assistant coaches and ….well he’s always got Twitter

I saw Fluto yesterday and had a nice chat and he knows new information has come out since his article a month ago

Not surprisingly Bruce taking no coaches and will likely have no Bruins free agents etc joining him

Surprise surprise

Jack Eichel If he isn’t bummed he will soon enough - his boys are the biggest anti Cassidy guys - and it’s minimum handful

Amirite @Saxon Eric

Over the volcano

Mar 10, 2006
Watertown
Saw Fluto yesterday and he knows knew information has come out since his original article

you named the entire player group which is why he’s not coach - add in the assistant coaches and ….well he’s always got Twitter

I saw Fluto yesterday and had a nice chat and he knows new information has come out since his article a month ago

Not surprisingly Bruce taking no coaches and will likely have no Bruins free agents etc joining him

Surprise surprise

Jack Eichel If he isn’t bummed he will soon enough - his boys are the biggest anti Cassidy guys - and it’s minimum handful

Amirite @Saxon Eric

Reactions: DKH

bp14

Mar 17, 2022
Not only that but not a single player has said anything publicly. Though no one has publicly lauded Cassidy either, which may be damning in its own way.

Sometimes the room needs a change. That doesn’t mean players are suddenly going to think they’re in control of management decisions or that it’s a room run amok. Huge leap IMO.
This seems 100% right.

Just because maybe some players tired of a coach after 7 years and voiced their opinion does not mean there’s some organizational problem.

People love drama, but this feels like BS. Stuff like this just happens. It’s not unique.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad