Boston Globe TARA SULLIVAN: Word is out that Bruins players had their say in Bruce Cassidy’s firing. It’s a risky revelation.

Fenway

HF Bookie and Bruins Historian
Sponsor
Sep 26, 2007
Cambridge, MA
I suspect Tara will show up at the news conference on Monday. She pushed Belichick last season when the beat writers wouldn't and putting this column in the Sunday Globe sets her up to pursue this.

:popcorn:

But it was in the middle of a pre-draft conversation with reporters that Bruins president Cam Neely, intentionally or not, shed a little more light on what still has to be considered a shocking dismissal of a successful coach.

In the midst of confirming that Jake DeBrusk had rescinded his trade demand, Neely made it pretty clear players were chafing under Cassidy’s tough hand and were clearly ready for a change. The long-rumored notion was amplified when former NHL defenseman Ryan Whitney said on his podcast that he’d heard “the players really hated him.”

Given the chance to dispel the assertion, Neely all but did the opposite, saying, “I like to keep things in the locker room. Obviously, if others want to talk, that’s their prerogative. Right or wrong, when you have a coach five, six, seven years and the players remain on a club . . . unfortunately at some point the voice does get old.

“We’re going to see a little bit of a different approach, maybe change things up a little, that hopefully excites our fanbase. I’m excited about it.”

Which, really, is fine. Coaches, at least those not named Bill Belichick, are hired to be fired. They know it, we know it, players know it.

But what should concern the Bruins’ front office now is how much the players know it, and how risky it could be to put Montgomery in a position where he knows the players know it. Players should certainly be heard, but it’s a fine line when they have a hand in pulling the strings, and no coach wants to be on the wrong side of that line knowing how much it can erode respect inside a locker room.

sarge88

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jan 29, 2003
It’s interesting and all, but I don’t see how it’s the slippery slope that she‘s suggesting.

I mean it’s not like Cassidy was here for a year and a half and the players formed a mutiny and management caved.

7 years is a long time and common sense would dictate that the players opinions would come into play.

Last edited:

GordonHowe

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Sep 21, 2005
Watertown, Massachusetts
I suspect Tara will show up at the news conference on Monday. She pushed Belichick last season when the beat writers wouldn't and putting this column in the Sunday Globe sets her up to pursue this.

:popcorn:

But it was in the middle of a pre-draft conversation with reporters that Bruins president Cam Neely, intentionally or not, shed a little more light on what still has to be considered a shocking dismissal of a successful coach.

In the midst of confirming that Jake DeBrusk had rescinded his trade demand, Neely made it pretty clear players were chafing under Cassidy’s tough hand and were clearly ready for a change. The long-rumored notion was amplified when former NHL defenseman Ryan Whitney said on his podcast that he’d heard “the players really hated him.”

Given the chance to dispel the assertion, Neely all but did the opposite, saying, “I like to keep things in the locker room. Obviously, if others want to talk, that’s their prerogative. Right or wrong, when you have a coach five, six, seven years and the players remain on a club . . . unfortunately at some point the voice does get old.

“We’re going to see a little bit of a different approach, maybe change things up a little, that hopefully excites our fanbase. I’m excited about it.”

Which, really, is fine. Coaches, at least those not named Bill Belichick, are hired to be fired. They know it, we know it, players know it.

But what should concern the Bruins’ front office now is how much the players know it, and how risky it could be to put Montgomery in a position where he knows the players know it. Players should certainly be heard, but it’s a fine line when they have a hand in pulling the strings, and no coach wants to be on the wrong side of that line knowing how much it can erode respect inside a locker room.
Lovely.

MarchysNoseKnows

Big Hat No Cattle
Feb 14, 2018
It’s interesting and all, but I don’t see how it’s the slippery slope that she suggesting.

I mean it’s not like Cassidy was here for a year and a half and the players formed a mutiny and management caved.

7 years is a long time and common sense would dictate that the players opinions would come into play.
Not only that but not a single player has said anything publicly. Though no one has publicly lauded Cassidy either, which may be damning in its own way.

Sometimes the room needs a change. That doesn’t mean players are suddenly going to think they’re in control of management decisions or that it’s a room run amok. Huge leap IMO.

Oates2Neely

Jan 19, 2010
Massachusetts
Not shocking. Krejci aired out his grievances regarding Cassidy’s refusal to play Pastrnak with him and spread out the offense. It was easy to see DeBrusk’s displeasure with him. Frederic was walking on eggshells.

I’m not pointing blame at Cassidy. Perfection line was the best line in the NHL. DeBrusk was mentally soft and sulked often. Frederic was taking stupid penalties and was more focused on being a pest rather than improving his game.

Coaches come and go. This isn’t a big shock. The only Bruin players opinion that holds weight is Bergeron. Bruce will most likely do well in Vegas. Hoping Montgomery does the same here.

LouJersey

Jun 29, 2002
Graves to Gardens
youtu.be
As long as Cassidy is gone I don't care how, why, where, whatever as long as Lady Byng is gone and never comes back.

Can't wait for Stone and others to turn on him in Vegas, just like what happened in Washington.

Cassidy sucks. Period.
Cassidy only grew a set of balls apparently when Chara left. Vegas has enough vets to keep him in check, at least for a couple of years.

rocketdan9

Feb 5, 2009
As long as Cassidy is gone I don't care how, why, where, whatever as long as Lady Byng is gone and never comes back.

Can't wait for Stone and others to turn on him in Vegas, just like what happened in Washington.

Cassidy sucks. Period.

I wouldnt he say sucks. But he is too focused in his system.... players will only go so far/to war for an authority like that

Vegas owner and gm is probably irritated that they paid some good money/sacrifice for acquisition. But team couldnt make the playoffs last season. They cant afford another bad season. Dont care how Cassidy acts/does it.

It will be interesting what happens. When Vegas visits.... must see tv

Last edited:

Fenian24

Jun 14, 2010
Wonder how the players feel about the team he put together.

I wonder how the perfection line liked the way Sweeney used the cap space they saved them by taking sweet heart deals over the years?
Reason I expect Pastrnak to walk and go for a max deal with another team. He took a discount to make the team better and Sweeney did not use it.

LouJersey

Jun 29, 2002
Graves to Gardens
youtu.be
Why wasn't Bergeron and Marchand able to keep him in check?
Different types of leaders I would imagine. Maybe Bruce thought since Patrice was newly named captain he would be able to have more of a voice? Also, he gave vets way more leeway. I do think it's just a long relationship gone sour like many do, and it's developed a life of its own, maybe more so than it actually was.

Gonzothe7thDman

Jun 24, 2007
Central, Ma
Different types of leaders I would imagine. Maybe Bruce thought since Patrice was newly named captain he would be able to have more of a voice? Also, he gave vets way more leeway. I do think it's just a long relationship gone sour like many do, and it's developed a life of its own, maybe more so than it actually was.

Interesting. Personally I had this team 1 and done with the way it was/is constructed and they had a lot of help with the bottom half of the east being a trainwreck. I think if another team or two weren't a dumpster fire outside of the top 8 all season it would have made the playoff picture very interesting down the stretch.

I think Bruce did the best with what he had. Curious if Monty's "softer" approach leads to the team coasting too much.

Guess we'll see.

You mean why was Chara more intimidating than Bergeron or Marchand?

No I had the question phrased right the first time thanks.

Last edited:

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad