Tank vs Kids playing well. What would you rather?

Lshap

Hardline Moderate
Jun 6, 2011
Montreal
Yep!

The Leafs management know what it takes to build a winning team. I really hope the Leafs win a cup before us to show our fan base that barely making the playoffs, trading a bunch of 2nd round picks for a playoffs push and still be in mediocrity for years needs to change.

Now there's a phrase we don't read everyday.

Let's be clear: Toronto has built precisely nothing. They've assembled a lot of cooks in one kitchen and are banking all their hopes on prospects who may or may not work out. They might become a winning team in a few years, or the pressure might get to the coach/players/staff before they see a single successful year. All we know right now is that they are terrible.

Kraniumm

Hanshan
Jan 1, 2015
BC
Tanking that much simply won't happen; the teams we need to out-tank are freakin' pros at it.

Regardless of how anyone feels about that, I think it's best for the kids to play in a positive atmosphere, rather than being taught to be accustomed to losing. (see: EDM)

Fozz

Aug 1, 2002
Ottawa
Visit site
The poll result gives me a bit of faith in the team's fan base after all. The ideal scenario: we squeeze in the playoffs and pick 15th.

Mad Brills*

Let's be clear: Toronto has built precisely nothing. They've assembled a lot of cooks in one kitchen and are banking all their hopes on prospects who may or may not work out. They might become a winning team in a few years, or the pressure might get to the coach/players/staff before they see a single successful year. All we know right now is that they are terrible.

Except that it's better than what the habs have for long term success. This team isn't winning a cup unless carey price carries them to one.

Do you trust bergevin to hire a good coach and make the necessary improvements over the offseason? Seriously, while this team is a playoff team with price, is it a contender? I don't think it is without more help from outside. That's why this summer is crucial for the front office.

M.C.G. 31

Damn, he brave!
Oct 6, 2008
Ottawa
Legit don't care how we win the cup as long as we win it, whether Price carries us or not. A cup is a cup. A healthy Price makes this lineup a contender. Another top-six winger even more. Way more than some kid could before he really starts contributing in 3 years.

Habs13

Dec 30, 2004
Montreal
Doesn't change the fact that he's one of the top goal scorers in the league over the past few seasons on a sweet $4.5m contract.

I can't argue that. All fact.

But he is also a lazy floater who avoids hard areas and won't play a power forwards game. On a team of undersized players.

M.C.G. 31

Damn, he brave!
Oct 6, 2008
Ottawa
I can't argue that. All fact.

But he is also a lazy floater who avoids hard areas and won't play a power forwards game. On a team of undersized players.

He hasn't played a power forwards game since his injury by Chara. Why does that suddenly matter this season compared to all the others?

Kudo Shinichi

Apr 20, 2012
And how they got those player? By tanking...

We won't be able to find or trade that big player in the market with Bergevin.

Price is not getting younger. He also seem to getting injure a lot lately...

I didn't say we shouldn't tank, i just said it's dumb to make an argument by removing the 2 best player in a team. Like obviously the team will be nowhere near as good if you remove its 2 best players, and that goes for any team.

pepperMonkey

Aug 2, 2005
Toronto

True, but the Leafs have desperately needed this tank for decades. We needed to do exactly the same things a few years back. Kinda late now as we have a number of decent pieces though.

jaffy27

From Russia wth Pain
Nov 18, 2007
Orleans
And how they got those player? By tanking...

We won't be able to find or trade that big player in the market with Bergevin.

Price is not getting younger. He also seem to getting injure a lot lately...

It's clear that we are too good to be able to tank as well as the Leafs are. Even with half the lineup being from the AHL or waiver pickups or other teams 4th liners, a goalie that was in the ECHL just a few years ago, we're just too good.

You want a proper tank, trade Subban, Price, Pacioretty, Galchenyuk, Gallagher and play DD first line minutes, then we can become the Leafs.

Our best chance to a top pick is to pray that our best players get weird injuries, suspensions, the flu, and we play out the season with Scrivens in net.

Mad Brills*

It's clear that we are too good to be able to tank as well as the Leafs are. Even with half the lineup being from the AHL or waiver pickups or other teams 4th liners, a goalie that was in the ECHL just a few years ago, we're just too good.

You want a proper tank, trade Subban, Price, Pacioretty, Galchenyuk, Gallagher and play DD first line minutes, then we can become the Leafs.

Our best chance to a top pick is to pray that our best players get weird injuries, suspensions, the flu, and we play out the season with Scrivens in net.

except what's the habs best case to win a cup now? Have price carry them there? Short of that they aren't contenders. The coach is a moron, and the GM has shown zilch that that he can build a good top 6 through trades/free agency. Wasting the core's prime years (2 more before price gets paid) is shameful.

Runner77

Sponsor
Jun 24, 2012
Dude needs to make a statement in games that mean something.
I'll be watching him very closely when he's wearing his Stars & Stripes.

Those are just glorified exhibition games. Let's see how he does in NHL games that matter.

jaffy27

From Russia wth Pain
Nov 18, 2007
Orleans
except what's the habs best case to win a cup now? Have price carry them there? Short of that they aren't contenders. The coach is a moron, and the GM has shown zilch that that he can build a good top 6 through trades/free agency. Wasting the core's prime years (2 more before price gets paid) is shameful.

Our core is mid to late 20's with Eller, Galchenyuk, Gallagher, Beaulieu, McCarron, Scherbak all below 25, plus lucky for us, Price being a goalie, still has a good 5-6 good years left. We'll probably get a top 10 pick this year so the future is not so bleak.

No question times a ticking, but it's not all doom and gloom. I believe that Bergevin is at a crossroad though, this is the summer where he needs to make a splash in the trade and UFA market.

jaffy27

From Russia wth Pain
Nov 18, 2007
Orleans
Those are just glorified exhibition games. Let's see how he does in NHL games that matter.

To be fair, he suffered a major knee injury last summer, think people here are underestimating that. Let's see how he bounces back from a full summer of recovery and rehab.

Mad Brills*

Our core is mid to late 20's with Eller, Galchenyuk, Gallagher, Beaulieu, McCarron, Scherbak all below 25, plus lucky for us, Price being a goalie, still has a good 5-6 good years left. We'll probably get a top 10 pick this year so the future is not so bleak.

No question times a ticking, but it's not all doom and gloom. I believe that Bergevin is at a crossroad though, this is the summer where he needs to make a splash in the trade and UFA market.

I agree about the future not being bleak, but it's the height of their possible successes that worries me. When price gets his big raise, one of the core pieces will be traded. Eller most likely. I do think though that therrien has to go this offseason, and bergevin needs to do 3 things with ZERO hesitation, fire therrien the sunday after the season ends, hire a competent coach REGARDLESS of prior connections, and fix the top 6. Not making a big move in the top 6 this offseason would be a joke.

Lafleurs Guy

Guuuuuuuy!
Jul 20, 2007
Galchenyuk as he's playing is more important than any pick we'll find in the draft as far as I'm concerned. Just too bad we didn't let him loose last year.

Mad Brills*

Galchenyuk as he's playing is more important than any pick we'll find in the draft as far as I'm concerned. Just too bad we didn't let him loose last year.

Well, as long as they don't make the playoffs therrien's gone most likely.

Hoople

Mar 7, 2011
Connor McDavid, the generational talent of all talents. Combined with all of the other 1st picks.

Yeah, the Oilers will win the Cup this year.

Runner77

Sponsor
Jun 24, 2012
The teams will be going all out exhibition or no.
The hockey will be played at a playoff pace not a regular season pace.

We shall see. I bet you a lot of team execs. are going to be extremely wary about how their star players are being deployed and those representing National teams are mostly NHL people, so they'll do just enough to win and will manage their assets conservatively. If Pacioretty is going to risk an injury, he won't do it in September for a team with an expiry date.

To be fair, he suffered a major knee injury last summer, think people here are underestimating that. Let's see how he bounces back from a full summer of recovery and rehab.

People here are well aware of that. Sure, we expect him to be better next season, but doesn't take away from the fact that you're not going to see NHLers at their best in exhibition-type games.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad