Tank vs Kids playing well. What would you rather?

jaffy27

From Russia wth Pain
Nov 18, 2007
Orleans
therrien will be back in all likelihood next season

Question was why was this year a waste, you're talking about a hypothetical scenario. I'm not ready to assume if the coach will be back next year based on this years shortcomings in the win/loss column.

mariolemieux66

Sep 17, 2008
Vancouver
Our problem is exactly fans like you who are not patient enough and settle for mediocrity just so they can have their temporary fix like a drug addict.

In the past 7 years, 4 teams have won the cup. Both Chicago, the Kings and the Penguins built their team by tanking. They won the cup less than 5 years after finishing at the bottom of the barrel.

This year's contenders are still the Hawks, the Kings and the Caps, surprise, another team that had to tank before dominating.

I predict that the Leafs will win a cup before us.

Yep!

The Leafs management know what it takes to build a winning team. I really hope the Leafs win a cup before us to show our fan base that barely making the playoffs, trading a bunch of 2nd round picks for a playoffs push and still be in mediocrity for years needs to change.

CristianoRonaldo

Apr 7, 2014
In your head
You-play-to-win-the-game.gif

Yeah the players play to win... But we are not players, we are fans.

BTW rather kids play well.

Habsrule

Jun 13, 2004
Much rather have the kids play well.

By going by this you can establish much more of a pecking order in your depth charts. What have we learned?

-Pateryn has been in a top four role and has not floundered. Sure he is not a top four D man but he is in my mind a solid number five.
-Andrighetto has had a prolonged look in a top six role. Not saying that he has earned the right to be a top six player yet but he has proven to be a worthy full time NHLer. Once all players are healthy next year an offensive talent on the third line would be nice.
-Condon has looked solid of late and has for sure won the backup role for next year.
-Brown has been what has been missing for a long time. I was against claiming him but I will say I was wrong. Endless motor, hits, fights, plays a fourth line role perfectly. Now I am not sure if he should be back next year but hopefully his current playing style rubs off on the kids.
-Barbiero has looked like a solid sixth D man.

I could go on more but you guys get the point. So many prospects this year have been called up and then sent down just to go back and forth a few times. It is nice to get longer looks and I wish that Hudon and Holloway would get called up and shots playing full time for more than a two game stretch.

M.C.G. 31

Damn, he brave!
Oct 6, 2008
Ottawa
There is too much potential in the tip 5 draft this year to not want to tank. It looks like we will be picking a Chris Higgins instead of a Galchenyuk of Price. Thus season has been a ****ing waste.

Let's be real -- we weren't getting a top-five pick anyways. It's nice to dream of, but it wasn't going to happen anyways.

Our problem is exactly fans like you who are not patient enough and settle for mediocrity just so they can have their temporary fix like a drug addict.

In the past 7 years, 4 teams have won the cup. Both Chicago, the Kings and the Penguins built their team by tanking. They won the cup less than 5 years after finishing at the bottom of the barrel.

This year's contenders are still the Hawks, the Kings and the Caps, surprise, another team that had to tank before dominating.

Tell me why, with a core of Subban, Price, Pacioretty, Galchenyuk, Gallagher, we would settle for a 3-5 year rebuild/retool when all we need is a top-six forward to round the team out?

Lshap

Hardline Moderate
Jun 6, 2011
Montreal
kids showing that they can actually play >>>>>>>>> tank pick

who knows when the player we pick will be NHL ready...the kids are trying to show theyre NHL ready NOW which is tyhe most important thing

were gonna get a top 10 pick ANYway and STILL probably get a decent player!

but as for tanking for the bottom 3? get real, its just not gonna happen

whats happening right now with the kids is infinitely more important

Perfect answer.

Let's be real -- we weren't getting a top-five pick anyways. It's nice to dream of, but it wasn't going to happen anyways.

Tell me why, with a core of Subban, Price, Pacioretty, Galchenyuk, Gallagher, we would settle for a 3-5 year rebuild/retool when all we need is a top-six forward to round the team out?

Exactly. Despite the hysteria, the Habs are nowhere near bad enough to get a top-5 pick. A top-10 will be a good consolation prize for a lost season.

And as you said, we have legit stars who are in their prime. It's about now, not five years from now.

RealityBytes

Trash Remover
Feb 11, 2013

... because more than just adding a top six forward is needed to win the Cup.

Redux91

I do Three bullets.
Sep 5, 2006
Kirkland, Montreal

This year's contenders are still the Hawks, the Kings and the Caps, surprise, another team that had to tank before dominating. lol HAD to tank? come on man

yes but you have to quit making it sound like people tank on purpose.;..everyone else too for that matter...NObody tanks, nobody wakes up in the morning, player, coach or management thinking "ok we gotta lose tonight" it just doesnt happen

this is all about luck, you either suck enough or you dont

people post here thinking tanking is some kind of thing people do and its not, nobody has control over bad bounces in hockey games.. ok fans can hope and pray we lose some games thats fine, but to think "i cant beleive theyre not tanking for a better draft pick" like its on peoples agenda is just ludicrous, MAYBE some teams MAYBE think it, but certainly not the habs

fans can tank, organizations for the most part dont

we can look back and EASILy say "bah penguins tanked for malkin and crosby, chicago tanked for toews and kane" no...they were simply the JOKE of the NHL for a couple years, hit first overall picks and lucked out on generational talent

habs just never sucked enough, thats it, thats all

Lshap

Hardline Moderate
Jun 6, 2011
Montreal
yes but you have to quit making it sound like people tank on purpose.;..everyone else too for that matter...NObody tanks, nobody wakes up in the morning, player, coach or management thinking "ok we gotta lose tonight" it just doesnt happen

this is all about luck, you either suck enough or you dont

people post here thinking tanking is some kind of thing people do and its not, nobody has control over bad bounces in hockey games.. ok fans can hope and pray we lose some games thats fine, but to think "i cant beleive theyre not tanking for a better draft pick" like its on peoples agenda is just ludicrous, MAYBE some teams MAYBE think it, but certainly not the habs

fans can tank, organizations for the most part dont

we can look back and EASILy say "bah penguins tanked for malkin and crosby, chicago tanked for toews and kane" no...they were simply the JOKE of the NHL for a couple years, hit first overall picks and lucked out on generational talent

habs just never sucked enough, thats it, thats all

You're on a roll man! 100% right.

Le Tricolore

Boo! BOOOO!
Aug 3, 2005
Montreal

These teams didn't tank. These teams were really bad. There's a huge difference.

I want the Canadiens to dress their best lineup each game and I want the players to go out there and win.

TT1

May 31, 2013
Montreal
got a feeling that we can catch up to Detroit, if Subban doesnt come back tho we're done.

Redux91

I do Three bullets.
Sep 5, 2006
Kirkland, Montreal

Exactly

people have to realize we dont actually suck

weve been riddled by injuries and an incompetent coach

healthy and well balanced lines, this team can be a monster in the east

next year.

rahad

Feb 3, 2016
montreal

Thank you man. Could not have said it better. Most of our ''kids'' are bottom 6 player. We need that top 3 pick to advance and take the next lvl. This team can't compete with Chicago or Caps for the stanley cups.

The people seem to have accepted mediocrity from this team. Remove Price and Chucky and you will see how bad this team is.

Just think how good the habs could have been.

Pac - chucky - Gally

Laine - Plekanec - Getto

Kudo Shinichi

Apr 20, 2012
Thank you man. Could not have said it better. Most of our ''kids'' are bottom 6 player. We need that top 3 pick to advance and take the next lvl. This team can't compete with Chicago or Caps for the stanley cups.

The people seem to have accepted mediocrity from this team. Remove Price and Chucky and you will see how bad this team is.

Just think how good the habs could have been.

Pac - chucky - Gally

Laine - Plekanec - Getto

Remove Toews and Kane and see how bad Hawks become
Remove Crosby and Malkin ...
Remove Ovy and Holtby
Remove kopitar and doughty
etc...

Lshap

Hardline Moderate
Jun 6, 2011
Montreal
That will always be a point of argument. Some think yes, some think no.

That's what makes it interesting. Following the 2012 nightmare most of us assumed the Habs would be lucky to bounce back to mid-pack. Instead, we won the division. This season we looked poised to win it all. Instead, every frikkin thing went wrong. Ask fans of Columbus or Winnipeg how their predictions turned out. What a weird season...

rahad

Feb 3, 2016
montreal
Remove Toews and Kane and see how bad Hawks become
Remove Crosby and Malkin ...
Remove Ovy and Holtby
Remove kopitar and doughty
etc...

And how they got those player? By tanking...

We won't be able to find or trade that big player in the market with Bergevin.

Price is not getting younger. He also seem to getting injure a lot lately...

M.C.G. 31

Damn, he brave!
Oct 6, 2008
Ottawa
We weren't going to get Laine anyways. Stop kidding yourselves. We're nowhere near as bad as Toronto, Winnipeg, Edmonton and those other garbage teams at the bottom.

... because more than just adding a top six forward is needed to win the Cup.

Like what? Adding a player who could POTENTIALLY contribute in a few years? When our core is also older?

We're not as bad as our record indicated. Adding a top-six player will do a world of good. It's like people have already forgotten we have the best goalie in the world, a top-5 defenseman and now have a legitimate number one center.

Habs13

Dec 30, 2004
Montreal
Whatever it takes to get rid of Desharnais, Pacioretty, Plekanec, Byron and especially Therrien and Barginbin.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad