Prospect Info: "Tank ran out of gas" - 2014 NHL draft discussion - Part II

Status
Not open for further replies.

Sweech

Oh When the Spurs
Jun 30, 2011
Hamilton, Ontario
I watch a fair bit of games. Not live of course. I would say 3 to 4 games a week. I also have access to several scouts and talk to a lot of NHL scouts at Brandon games when I can.

Okay that's pretty decent.

I didn't want to come off as rude, I just didn't find things you said as accurate. Although a lot of things are just personal opinion of course.

Sweech

Oh When the Spurs
Jun 30, 2011
Hamilton, Ontario
Apart from the Sams, Aaron and Drai I have no clue where anyone will go. Oh, MdC will go early too.

I think the common top 5 mock of:

1. Ekblad
2. Reinhart/Draisaitl/Bennett
3. Reinhart/Draisaitl/Bennett
4. Reinhart/Draisaitl/Bennett
5. Dal Colle

Is pretty accurate to what will happen. Most think Buffalo will take Reinhart and Edmonton will take Draisaitl.

Personally though I have Ekblad at 3 behind Bennett and Reinhart, so a different first overall could definitely shake things up a little.

Whileee

May 29, 2010

1. Ekblad
5. Dal Colle

Is pretty accurate to what will happen. Most think Buffalo will take Reinhart and Edmonton will take Draisaitl.

Personally though I have Ekblad at 3 behind Bennett and Reinhart, so a different first overall could definitely shake things up a little.

The top-4 seems pretty solid, but I wonder if others might be in play at #5 - perhaps Nylander or Ehlers or even Ritchie.

Personally, I think that unless the Jets have a real favourite who is available at #9 (e.g. Ehlers, Virtanen, Ritchie, Nylander, Fleury, Fiala), they might do well to trade back a few slots and take someone else slotted in that tier. I expect that one of the lower teams will be enamoured with whoever is available at #9, even if the Jets aren't.

Sweech

Oh When the Spurs
Jun 30, 2011
Hamilton, Ontario
The top-4 seems pretty solid, but I wonder if others might be in play at #5 - perhaps Nylander or Ehlers or even Ritchie.

Personally, I think that unless the Jets have a real favourite who is available at #9 (e.g. Ehlers, Virtanen, Ritchie, Nylander, Fleury, Fiala), they might do well to trade back a few slots and take someone else slotted in that tier. I expect that one of the lower teams will be enamoured with whoever is available at #9, even if the Jets aren't.

Yeah, who knows? I keep hearing teams aren't totally enamored with Dal Colle, but I have him at #4 over Draisaitl. I think if someone is knocking him out of top 5 it's Ritchie or Fleury because they play a different position or a different style of game. I can't see a skill player like Nylander or Ehlers overtaking him because Dal Colle is just way too good in that area to be supplanted by a similar player. All IMO of course.

I agree about the trade back, but it's a tough notion. If all these prospects are so tight together, you need a different team who isn't so far back who thinks one stands out and is willing to trade up. That's a lot of ifs to trade back.

ps241

The Ballad of Ville Bobby
Sponsor
Mar 10, 2010
Apart from the Sams, Aaron and Drai I have no clue where anyone will go. Oh, MdC will go early too.

I don't know which one but I am expecting one of the five on your list to slide to about #7. Nylander, Virtanen, Richie could all be higher on one or two teams boards. Sadly none of your 5 will be there at 9 IMO. The key will be is one of TNSE's big 5 going to be around at #9?

JCLiponfanboy*

I wouldn't be opposed to drafting one of Mccann, Fabbri or Fiala

CaptainChef

Jan 5, 2014
Bedroom Jetsville

1. Ekblad
5. Dal Colle

First four fairly secure. Beyond that an Ehlers, Nylander or maybe even Virtanen could slip in anywhere, but you'd have to think Dal Colle is top 6 at least.

StronGeer

Jan 25, 2013
Down by the bay
First four fairly secure. Beyond that an Ehlers, Nylander or maybe even Virtanen could slip in anywhere, but you'd have to think Dal Colle is top 6 at least.

Filip Forsberg and Mikhail Grigorenko would like a word with you.

Seriously though, there is absolutely no telling what will happen on draft day.

KingBogo

Admitted Homer
Nov 29, 2011
Winnipeg
Filip Forsberg and Mikhail Grigorenko would like a word with you.

Seriously though, there is absolutely no telling what will happen on draft day.

Agreed. My guess is there will be a couple players assumed to be gone by the time we pick who will still be available. It happens every year. Consensus picks may be quite different then the various team boards.

drumzan

#NHLJets
Jul 9, 2011
Virtanen and Nylander are the two wildcards to go top 5. Some rankings have Nylander in top 5. The Oilers rumored top 5 has Virtanen.

CorgisPer60

Barking at the net
Apr 15, 2012
Please Understand
Virtanen and Nylander are the two wildcards to go top 5. Some rankings have Nylander in top 5. The Oilers rumored top 5 has Virtanen.

I hope other teams think highly of him and take him before they give the Jets the chance to. I've heard enough negative about Virtanen to be very shy about picking him at 9th. Hopefully Nylander or Ehlers is still on the board.

Of course, none of those players could realistically be on Chevy's list. He's always taken the unexpected player.

BigZ65

Feb 2, 2010
Winnipeg
I find it odd that the people who love players like Perlini otherwise, hate on him so heavily in these draft discussions.

We really have no interest in a guy who's going to be 6'3-6'4 220-225, an intelligent player who can skate, shoot, pass and otherwise manage the puck very well?

At worst he's a third liner, but I think he's one of the guys in this draft who has a relatively high ceiling, even as one of the safer picks, simply because he has room to fill out physically and he still has a little bit of Bambi awkwardness in his stride. I see some Ladd in him and a bit of Wheeler too, more finesse than raw power (Wheeler), a bit less grit than Ladd, but a similarly vicious wrister. He'd be another big, fast and skilled forward, the type Maurice was raving about as the strength of the Jets.

He was hampered by injuries in the middle-end of the season, if there's any long-term concerns with those I'd avoid him for sure. Perlini is also a guy that probably needs to exhaust his junior eligibility and maybe get a bit of AHL seasoning too.

Sweech

Oh When the Spurs
Jun 30, 2011
Hamilton, Ontario
I find it odd that the people who love players like Perlini otherwise, hate on him so heavily in these draft discussions.

We really have no interest in a guy who's going to be 6'3-6'4 220-225, an intelligent player who can skate, shoot, pass and otherwise manage the puck very well?

At worst he's a third liner, but I think he's one of the guys in this draft who has a relatively high ceiling, even as one of the safer picks, simply because he has room to fill out physically and he still has a little bit of Bambi awkwardness in his stride. I see some Ladd in him and a bit of Wheeler too, more finesse than raw power (Wheeler), a bit less grit than Ladd, but a similarly vicious wrister. He'd be another big, fast and skilled forward, the type Maurice was raving about as the strength of the Jets.

He was hampered by injuries in the middle-end of the season, if there's any long-term concerns with those I'd avoid him for sure. Perlini is also a guy that probably needs to exhaust his junior eligibility and maybe get a bit of AHL seasoning too.

I wouldn't say anyone hates him, but I don't have him around the Jet's pick. Doesn't mean I hate him. I don't hate the guy I have at 30 either, I just have guys I like more than him.

truck

Jun 27, 2012
www.arcticicehockey.com

I don’t "hate on" Perlini, I'm simply a little leary of where he actually projects in terms of upside. He reminds me a little bit of Eric Tangradi. He may he a better player all in, I just don't see him as having the same kind of skill/upside that some of these other kids have.

Also, at worst a 3rd liner isn't really a thing.

Last edited:

BigZ65

Feb 2, 2010
Winnipeg
I don’t "hate on" Perlini, I'm simply a little leary of where he actually projects in terms of upside. He reminds me a little bit of Eric Tangradi. He may he a better player all in, I just don't see him as having the same kind of skill/upside that some of these other kids have.

Also, at worst a 3rd liner isn't really a thing.

Is upside really a thing?

:laugh:

It's all ********.

drumzan

#NHLJets
Jul 9, 2011
Does anybody know if the NHL changed the rules for draft order of playoff teams? I found this on NHL.com and it's different from what was used last year...there's an emphasis on division winners, but not conference finalist or Stanley cup finalist.

Entry Draft Order
The order of selection among the Member Clubs in each season shall be determined in the following manner:
A composite of all Member Clubs shall be prepared by placing:
i) First the Clubs which failed to qualify for the preceding playoffs in the order of points earned by each of them in the regular schedule of the preceding season starting with the Club having the lowest points total and followed by the Club having the next lowest points total, and so forth.
ii) The Clubs which participated in the preceding playoffs (but had not been ranked first in their respective Divisions and had not won the Stanley Cup that season) in order of points earned by each of them in the regular schedule of the preceding season starting with the Club having the lowest total points and followed by the Club having the next lowest total points, and so forth.
iii) The Clubs which had been ranked first in their Divisions during the next preceding season (but had not won the Stanley Cup that season) in the order of points earned by each of them in the regular schedule of the preceding season starting with the Club having the lowest total points and followed by the Club having the next lowest total points, and so forth.
iv) The Stanley Cup winner shall select last, thus, positioning all Clubs on the list.
In the event of a tie for any position, such tie shall be resolved by application of the rules governing the determination of final League standings. The resulting list shall constitute the order of selection.

http://www.nhl.com/ice/page.htm?id=26377#entry_order

Holden Caulfield

Eternal Skeptic
Feb 15, 2006
Winnipeg
Does anybody know if the NHL changed the rules for draft order of playoff teams? I found this on NHL.com and it's different from what was used last year...there's an emphasis on division winners, but not conference finalist or Stanley cup finalist.

Hadn't seen anything of it changing. Division winners have always been lower, even with less points. It was always 30:SC Champ, 29:SC Final, 28:Higher Pt Conference loser, 27:Lower Pt Conference loser, 21(or 22,23,24)-26: Division Winners by point order (removed if fell in one of the 4 aforementioned categories). I'll have to check on this.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad