Prospect Info: "Tank ran out of gas" - 2014 NHL draft discussion - Part II

Status
Not open for further replies.

YWGinYYZ

Jul 3, 2011
Toronto
I get wanting the 5-7 spot in the draft, but I'm not sure what people expected professional athletes and coaches to do - throw the games?

• Didn't play our starter (though arguably, that could go either way)
  • Buff, Scheifele, Ladd, etc. either out with injuries or held out
  • Bag skated the day before a game
  • 1/3'ish of the line-up populated with AHL call-ups
  • Played an AHL goalie in back to backs

It's not like they didn't try. :sarcasm:

JC Numminen

#goldrush
Feb 13, 2013
Westman
I get wanting the 5-7 spot in the draft, but I'm not sure what people expected professional athletes and coaches to do - throw the games?

Pavelec didn't start the final 2 games?

:sarcasm:

Aavco Cup

"I can make you cry in this room"
Sep 5, 2013

They could have used Stuart in the shootout :sarcasm:

ps241

The Ballad of Ville Bobby
Sponsor
Mar 10, 2010

As one of the leaders of tank nation I will be the first to admit that much like our Mock drafts its just a fantasy thing that is in no way connected to reality. Players and coach's play to win all the time because that is what they do. Just fun to fantasize about a better draft pick. If they were serious about tanking they would have started Pavs. ;)

CaptainChef

Jan 5, 2014
Bedroom Jetsville
As one of the leaders of tank nation I will be the first to admit that much like our Mock drafts its just a fantasy thing that is in no way connected to reality. Players and coach's play to win all the time because that is what they do. Just fun to fantasize about a better draft pick. If they were serious about tanking they would have started Pavs. ;)

And, if they are serious about tanking for McDavid they'll hang on to Pavs :cry:

drumzan

#NHLJets
Jul 9, 2011
If Chevy ever wants to win me over, find a way to acquire more 2015 1st rounders. Especially from the likes of Sabres, Islanders (if they keep the 2015 pick), Oilers, Flames, Panthers (doubtful since they host the draft), Leafs, Canes, Capitals, Flyers, Lightning. These teams are either weak or capable of having off years.

McDavid, Eichel, Hanifin, Barzal...those are top 4 guys in 2015 who can help change a franchise quickly.

Whileee

May 29, 2010
If Chevy ever wants to win me over, find a way to acquire more 2015 1st rounders. Especially from the likes of Sabres, Islanders (if they keep the 2015 pick), Oilers, Flames, Panthers (doubtful since they host the draft), Leafs, Canes, Capitals, Flyers, Lightning. These teams are either weak or capable of having off years.

McDavid, Eichel, Hanifin, Barzal...those are top 4 guys in 2015 who can help change a franchise quickly.

The cost of 2015 draft picks will be very high, especially from some of those "bubble" teams. Buffalo is a non-starter because they are in full 2014 / 2015 tank mode, and won't trade picks.

I think that if the Jets are to get another high draft pick they will have to target this year (Florida and Islanders might be the best targets).

Whileee

May 29, 2010
They are keeing this years pick, so that one belongs to Buffalo.

Have they confirmed this?

If the Jets actually contemplate trading Kane (or Buff), I could see them targeting the Isles' #5 overall, depending on who is available. I would think that the Isles will be motivated to improve their team quickly to avoid handing Buffalo a top 2-3 pick next year. I think that Tavares is probably already getting restless and wouldn't want another year or two as an also-ran.

Aavco Cup

Sep 5, 2013
Have they confirmed this?

They could still change their mind and this report is not exactly official but sounds like it'll play out that way.

9. Long Island News 12 producer Rob Del Muro with a good tip: Islanders GM Garth Snow attended a season-ticket holder event last week and told one fan, "It would be a safe wager on his part that we would utilize this year's (first-round draft) pick." The team has until June 1 to let the Buffalo Sabres know about the selection. If not, Buffalo gets New York's 2015 first-rounder. The GM added the fan "could wager any amount of money because it wasn't MY money." Good line.

http://www.cbc.ca/sports-content/ho...oughts-players-cant-be-boss-of-nhl-teams.html

JC Numminen

#goldrush
Feb 13, 2013
Westman
Why wouldn't they keep it?

The whole "ditch it for a chance for McDavid" thing is crazy. The Islanders are still trying to win right now.

Pretty much.

If they give them this years, then it may look kind of bad for the fans as it looks like they expect to do poorly again next season.

Unless next years draft is so deep that 10-16 is better than 5 this year.

ps241

The Ballad of Ville Bobby
Sponsor
Mar 10, 2010
shhh. Those guys were supposed to be my favourites ;)

What are your thoughts on Nick Richie. You tend to like the big power forwards. I know he is a older kid (December birthday) and I was looking for the post where someone had concerns about his weight 6'3" 229 pounds. I have heard more than one scout say that when the smoke clears he is one of the boys that could be the best player out of this draft if he reaches his ceiling. I doubt he makes it to us but you never know.

I have been a bit off him for zero reason and I know his brother Brett Richie came into the draft with a bit of baggage (2011 2nd round pick #44). Brett is 6'4" and 215 pounds and he ripped it up with Ryan Strome in Niagara after his draft and this past season he has played great with Texas Stars in the AHL 50 points in 68 games and I hear he could be with Dallas next season. That is why it isn't great losing draft picks EVEN 2ND ROUND.....Can you image the 2011 draft being Scheifele 6'2" , Richie 6'4", Lowry 6'5
" :rant:

Last edited:

Flair Hay

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jun 22, 2010
Winnipeg

The other side of that is that no one out of the playoff race is going to want to trade those picks.

I want one of those guys too though lol

drumzan

#NHLJets
Jul 9, 2011
The other side of that is that no one out of the playoff race is going to want to trade those picks.

I want one of those guys too though lol

Buffalo has three 1st rounders and two 2nd's. Tampa has two 1st's. Might be teams to target.

Whileee

May 29, 2010
Why wouldn't they keep it?

The whole "ditch it for a chance for McDavid" thing is crazy. The Islanders are still trying to win right now.

Pretty much.

If they give them this years, then it may look kind of bad for the fans as it looks like they expect to do poorly again next season.

Unless next years draft is so deep that 10-16 is better than 5 this year.

I agree. It wouldn't be that wise to give up this year's #5 overall.

However, I really doubt that this year's #5 is going to help them improve substantially next season.

StronGeer

Jan 25, 2013
Down by the bay
I agree. It wouldn't be that wise to give up this year's #5 overall.

However, I really doubt that this year's #5 is going to help them improve substantially next season.

I think it's more the idea of: "We sucked this year, we plan on not sucking as much next year. Renew your tickets now!"

Sweech

Oh When the Spurs
Jun 30, 2011
Hamilton, Ontario
I think it's more the idea of: "We sucked this year, we plan on not sucking as much next year. Renew your tickets now!"

Exactly imagine Garth Snow explaining to his superiors, "uh yeah we want to be competitive, but you know just in the CHANCE we finish bottom 2, we're going to gamble a for sure top 5 pick for that chance even though I'm telling you guys we'll be better. Also I hired a hitman to take care of Tavares, he'd ruin our chances.".

If the Islanders finish bottom 2 Snow would likely be fired and I imagine he realizes this and will be trying quite hard to prevent that.

BigZ65

Feb 2, 2010
Winnipeg
Buffalo has three 1st rounders and two 2nd's. Tampa has two 1st's. Might be teams to target.

Buffalo is tanking. Unless you're giving them Trouba for a first, you aren't getting any picks from them, and probably not even their own pick for Trouba.

Aavco Cup

Sep 5, 2013
Buffalo is tanking. Unless you're giving them Trouba for a first, you aren't getting any picks from them, and probably not even their own pick for Trouba.

Eventually you can have too many picks, too many contracts. Your farm system can't sustain 11 or 12 new additions per year. You can end up losing them 3 or 4 years down the road like could potentially happen with Redmond. Sooner or later Buffalo will likely package pick(s) & prospect(s) in a trade(s)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad