Proposal: Tanev to NYI

Nucker42

Nov 27, 2011
NYI needs quality defensemen asap with their injuries.

To NYI:

Christopher TANEV

To Canucks:

Michael DAL COLLE & Sebastian AHO

Why?

NYI desperately needs to make a cup run for so many reasons, to retain TAVARAS mostly. With BOYCHUK, DE HANN and HICKEY injuries NYI needs help so things don't slip away.

Why TANEV? Top 5 defensive defensemen in the NHL. Doesn't take penalties, blocks shots, very mobile. Would instantly be a #2 behind LEDDY.

He's also signed through next year, not a rental.

Why for Vancouver?

Benning loves reclamation projects and DAL COLLE hasn't had a sniff yet, overall has been a disappointment for New York. A fresh start would be good for him. Canucks still want to add prospects.

Canucks weakness is d prospects. AHO has shown he isn't out of place in the NHL. He would be the real key to getting TANEV out of Vancouver.

SI90

Jul 25, 2011
StrongIsland
Not crazy about giving up both MDC and Aho but for a top 4 Defensman that can shut guys down and who is signed I’d do it.

I think form NYI perspective id do it. We need defense desperately. The only Negative is we would have 4 RHS Defensman. But you could make it work.

Reactions: IODCPiper

canucks20

Oct 12, 2009
As a Canucks fan I'd pass. I think the Islanders and Canucks could be a good fit but I would want someone other than Dal Colle as the main piece. Just not trending in the right direction at all.

I'd want Bellows and Islanders fans probably don't want to move him

pheasant

Nov 2, 2010
It's not a bad idea. And the Islanders D is pretty banged up.

But I'm thinking that the Islansers need a goalie way more than a defenceman right now. Maybe I'm wrong, as an outsider. But isn't that what's been killing the team?

seabass45

Jan 12, 2007

But I'm thinking that the Islansers need a goalie way more than a defenceman right now. Maybe I'm wrong, as an outsider. But isn't that what's been killing the team?
It's a mix. Bottom six is garbage, two top 4 defensemen have been out, and goaltending could be better. But I'd rather fix the first two and see how that goes before fixing the third. Unfortunately, Garth hasn't done anything.

Kevin27NYI

Aug 5, 2009
This is the kind of deal I hope Garth makes because I think when you have Toews, Aho and Mitch Van Sompel you should trade one. Ladd, Beau and Lee either signed on or whatever and then Bellows in the system. Trade MDC.

I would add a pick too if it's unfair value wise, people I'm sure are sour on Dal Colle but I liked parts of his game a lot when he came up like his playmaking was better than I thought and actually used his size well. Aho I like a lot just in general, he's gonna be a good NHL'er.

Tanev is a good need for us IMO.

pheasant

Nov 2, 2010
It's a mix. Bottom six is garbage, two top 4 defensemen have been out, and goaltending could be better. But I'd rather fix the first two and see how that goes before fixing the third. Unfortunately, Garth hasn't done anything.

Well Islanders fans would know better than me. So I'll take your word for it. But I wouldn't be happy seeing either Greiss or Halak in net to start a playoff series.

If it's defense that the team needs, then this is a pretty good proposal. I think Van could get more. But I think the teams involved work, and the starting offer gets the ball rolling.

Kevin27NYI

Aug 5, 2009

Beginning of the year Greiss and Halak couldn't save a beach ball. Now they are good and now our D is banged up and there are too many damn young guys.

rent free

Apr 6, 2015

i think its been more of the defense than the goaltending. its a tirefire back there.

steveat

Jun 4, 2011
Tanev would be a great add...assuming DeHaan doesn't resign (pretty sure he is leaving)..however, if we make a move now and end up signing DeHaan, then we don't have room to give our rookies time to evolve their game, unless you want to take Mayfield. Pulock, Aho, Pelech..plus the other guys coming up. Some of our AHL guys have been simmering for years.

I think we'll be able to talk trades in the summer as soon as we know what we're dealing with.

seabass45

Jan 12, 2007
Well Islanders fans would know better than me. So I'll take your word for it. But I wouldn't be happy seeing either Greiss or Halak in net to start a playoff series.

If it's defense that the team needs, then this is a pretty good proposal. I think Van could get more. But I think the teams involved work, and the starting offer gets the ball rolling.
I'm not thrilled with them but I don't really see any significant upgrades on the market. Would rather use our assets to make upgrades where we clearly need them.

Sidney the Kidney

One last time
Jun 29, 2009
NYI needs quality defensemen asap with their injuries.

To NYI:

Christopher TANEV

To Canucks:

Michael DAL COLLE & Sebastian AHO

Why?

NYI desperately needs to make a cup run for so many reasons, to retain TAVARAS mostly. With BOYCHUK, DE HANN and HICKEY injuries NYI needs help so things don't slip away.

Why TANEV? Top 5 defensive defensemen in the NHL. Doesn't take penalties, blocks shots, very mobile. Would instantly be a #2 behind LEDDY.

He's also signed through next year, not a rental.

Why for Vancouver?

Benning loves reclamation projects and DAL COLLE hasn't had a sniff yet, overall has been a disappointment for New York. A fresh start would be good for him. Canucks still want to add prospects.

Canucks weakness is d prospects. AHO has shown he isn't out of place in the NHL. He would be the real key to getting TANEV out of Vancouver.

That's not much of a return for Tanev, especially considering how much Dal Colle has disappointed and not taken any steps to looking like a top six NHLer.

Reactions: skyo

Kamiccolo

Truly wonderful, the mind of a child is.
Aug 30, 2011
Undisclosed research facility
Based on last nights game, Tanev won't help. The team was playing pure run and gun like how the Leafs used to play under Carlyle and I get they had injuries on D, but the Leafs were missing 3 regulars and had two rookies on defense and NYI with all their offense couldn't even get more than a few quality chances.

The team even if they made the playoffs would be fodder in the first round. I would honestly give JT a deadline for a decision and start discussing possible trades with him if I was them (being sincere here.. Not trolling).

Barzal is promising but is over rated. He was what, -4 last night? He cheated for offense all night long. I have no doubt he will be a nice top 6 player for years, but I doubt he ever becomes a JT. Now is the time to sell, get a bunch of draft picks and some legit bluechip pieces, hope you win the lottery and take another franchise C or D this draft, and retool over the next few years while the picks and prospects acquired this season mature.

By then you hopefully have added another 2-3 lottery picks to the team.

ginner classic

Dammit Jim!
Mar 4, 2002
Douglas Park
Personally, I don't like it. I'd be after the assets the Isles got for Hamonic as Tanev is and always has been a better defender than Hamonic. Maybe a slight +

Cogburn

Pretend they're yachts.
May 28, 2010
Vancouver
Dal Colle as the main piece, or even a main piece, won't cut it. We need one blue chip prospect, not reclamation projects or prospects that project, at best, to be less valuable than Tanev.

Benning loves reclamation projects, but has yet to give up more then a 2nd for them (mercifully).

Reactions: Pastor Of Muppetz

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad