Tampa losing like this is bad for the sport

Kairi Zaide

Unforgiven
Aug 11, 2009
Quebec City
Your arguments explain the raw numbers, but not the downward trend. Why is the NHL now, doing g worse than the NHL of the previous generation?

I think the lack of carry over from regular season to playoffs is PART of the problem.
For some reason, the term "National Hockey League" has been trending up in search interest. The official league and broadcast YouTube channels get views much faster than ever before.

TV isn't like before.

VoluntaryDom

Formerly DominicBoltsFan / Ⓐ / ✞
Oct 31, 2016
Tampa FL
Or, and I’m just spitballing here, they could have gotten their **** together and played harder.

The Jackets were the better team in this series. Period. And to those saying that it’s better for the league that the powerhouse teams win it all I would argue that those teams sucked at one point. Washington, Pittsburgh for sure, Chicago back in their day. The bizarre case of the Golden Knights aside, no team has only known winning. Unless these folks are saying that they only want the same 2 or 3 teams winning forever and ever, which is frankly just dumb, this is how new blood makes a statement.
yes i agree they should have gotten their shit together. and because they didnt, i consider the result unacceptable and there should be consequences in the org. imo coop should be out the door but jbb still likes him

93gilmour93

Feb 27, 2010
It's great for the league that Tampa got squashed by the Jackets. Just shows that anyone can beat any team in the playoffs and that's great for fans of the NHL. I'm also hoping more GM's take the chance making big trades at the deadline like Columbus did. Big gamble that paid off.

Sam Spade

May 4, 2009
Maryland
I just realized there is a very real possibility that every division winner could be gone in the first round.

Flames/Bolts/Preds/Capitals are all done or up against it.

Reactions: Bobcat110

Arthur Morgan

Jul 6, 2016
Toronto
www.youtube.com
It's great for the league that Tampa got squashed by the Jackets. Just shows that anyone can beat any team in the playoffs and that's great for fans of the NHL. I'm also hoping more GM's take the chance making big trades at the deadline like Columbus did. Big gamble that paid off.
I 100% agree, If Leaf's don't get through the 1st round, I'm cheering for Columbus for the cup. loved that they went all in, showed real balls. they are clicking right now. I just wonder if the wait for 2nd round may start them off sluggish. we shall see.

I also don't see how this is bad for the NHL. what was bad for the NHL even though I kinda like it (exciting), is the Lottery Draft. I mean how did none of the worst 3 teams not even finish with a 1st, 2nd, or 3rd pick. heart breaking for the fans. but does fix possible tanking teams..... or maybe not.... Ottawa even though they didnt have a 1st. so stupid.

Sojourn

Nov 1, 2006
We simply disagree... Tampa should have a free pass,in first round as Calgary. Merit of a terrific season

They were rewarded for their terrific season, with guaranteed home ice for the entirety of the playoffs.

They don’t deserve more than that.

Reactions: J T Money

Sojourn

Nov 1, 2006

They also get to hang a neat banner, and display a new trophy.

That’s all they earned. If they had played well enough, they may have earned the opportunity to play in the 2nd round. But they didn’t.

Matty Sundin

Jul 18, 2006
I fail to see how this is bad for the league. The cristism NBA gets is the super teams always winning every year.

Fallschirmyager

Jun 25, 2009
This is right up there with the TML fan from a decade ago claiming it was better for the league if the Leafs made the playoffs. No it isn't. No team has the right to make or advance in the playoffs. Don't like it? Win more games.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad