Tampa losing like this is bad for the sport

VoluntaryDom

Formerly DominicBoltsFan / Ⓐ / ✞
Oct 31, 2016
Tampa FL
I mean ... Columbus went all-in and got very good players. I love how people talk as if they're a **** team that should've gotten swept.

All their key players are playing for a contract. Good attack, good D, good goaltending.
columbus is a very good team. i picked tampa in 6 coming into that series. they are a team that should be able to give any NHL team a run for their money. not the best team in the league but very arguably top 10 after their TDL

with that said tampa getting swept by ANYONE after the season they just had is unacceptable

VoluntaryDom

Formerly DominicBoltsFan / Ⓐ / ✞
Oct 31, 2016
Tampa FL
Personally I think it's great for the sport. They relaxed. There has always been a problem with teams so far ahead that they relax. It makes some of the end of year games less exciting and sometimes gives easier wins for teams competing with others for the last spots in the playoffs.
we didnt even really relax down the stretch though, for example our last two games were hard fought wins over toronto and boston.

the wheels just fell off in that third period in game 1 and cooper wasnt able to re-motivate the boys

josra33

Aug 11, 2008
Did someone literally make the argument that money increasing league wide is bad for the sport?

Walter Sobchak

Dec 30, 2015
How is it bad for the sport? Haha, there are no casual Tampa Bay Lightning fans outside of the casual hockey fans in Tampa Bay.

Playoff hockey does not equal regular season hockey.

I like that. Build a team to win the Presidents Trophy you win the Presidents Trophy.

Reactions: Ace Card Bedard

Sojourn

Nov 1, 2006
Every single sport is trending down in raw TV viewership. It's a problem that they all face. The English Premier. The NFL. etc. etc.

Every single sport except maybe golf?

The NFL has been trending down in both revenue and viewership since the 2000's.

chartoftheday_15369_nfl_viewership_has_taken_a_hit_n.jpg

Hmm. The push to streaming services over cable tv?

BlueDream

Aug 30, 2011
People really overreact to these things.

The majority of people don’t really care if there’s upsets or not. People watch sports because they like them. It’s entertainment. It’s that simple.

Everyone knows the Warriors are winning the championship, but people still watch the NBA.

It really doesn’t affect anything.

Sports will always be popular. Bottom line. There’s very few things that are good or bad for it.

Chimpradamus

Feb 16, 2006
Northern Sweden
What a weird thread. OP is angry Tampa were swept, followed by 32 pages of people telling him otherwise. And yes, upsets and cinderella stories are great for a sport.

Number of people who believe this is bad for the sport: 1
Number of people who believe this is good for the sport: 32 pages of posters.

Reactions: Mud the ACAS

c9777666

Aug 31, 2016
I'd honestly be more annoyed that Calgary may be about to make an exit than Tampa (albeit for personal and different reasons)

buud

Ping Pong Predator
Oct 3, 2017
43N -79
on the contrary, i think it is GREAT for the sport! as a fan of the Ilses, yes i want them to win all the time, but as a hockey fan, i love parity...

Dec 15, 2002
You know what I mean. Don't go balls out, don't aim to dominate, just play well enough to get at least the 8th seed.

So puprosely lose occasionally?
Whoa, no. This sets a bad precedent, teams knowing they can float into the postseason by losing down the stretch to get the 8-seed. We need rules against teams even semi-intentionally losing like this.

I say we take away their playoff spot of anyone does this. Maybe even limit how many times teams can finish in a given spot. That will get teams to play harder but give other teams a shot at those prime playoff seeds and no one will be squandering away playoff spots that should go to more deserving, harder-working teams.

Socks

Stuff and Things Man
Nov 14, 2007
Stuff and Things
columbus is a very good team. i picked tampa in 6 coming into that series. they are a team that should be able to give any NHL team a run for their money. not the best team in the league but very arguably top 10 after their TDL

with that said tampa getting swept by ANYONE after the season they just had is unacceptable
Or, and I’m just spitballing here, they could have gotten their shit together and played harder.

The Jackets were the better team in this series. Period. And to those saying that it’s better for the league that the powerhouse teams win it all I would argue that those teams sucked at one point. Washington, Pittsburgh for sure, Chicago back in their day. The bizarre case of the Golden Knights aside, no team has only known winning. Unless these folks are saying that they only want the same 2 or 3 teams winning forever and ever, which is frankly just dumb, this is how new blood makes a statement.

Viqsi

"that chick from Ohio"
Oct 5, 2007
40N 83W (approx)
Did someone literally make the argument that money increasing league wide is bad for the sport?
No; the argument was that said increases do not mean that there are no problems with league health.

I'm not sure about the validity of the argument to begin with, but it sure as hell wasn't that strawman nonsense.

* * *​
Hmm. The push to streaming services over cable tv?
I would love to know how/if this is getting accounted for.

JS19

Legends Never Die
Aug 14, 2009
The Shark Tank
You might as well just coast through the season and only play well enough to make the playoffs.

???

What kind of logic is that. You're disregarding the difference in quality between a playoff game and a regular season game. There are times where the gritty/adversity-facing team like the Jackets are better suited for the playoffs because they have the experience to overcome challenges, whereas Tampa Bay was never really in that situation throughout the regular season. If anything, you can argue that Tampa Bay's problem was that they coasted and never gave themselves the opportunity to face adversity until it was too late. It exposed key character flaws within their team.

Also, you did nothing to show how you arrived at that conclusion. Where in your mind did "coasting /only play well enough to reach the playoffs" somehow lead to the conclusion that "TBL losing is bad for the sport"?

txpd

Jan 25, 2003
New Bern, NC
Agreed. I want to know some recent examples of a coach re-motivating his players to win? Words can only do so much in professional sports

Barry Trotz. Trotz faced this exact situation with the Caps 3 seasons in a row and he kept the team pushing forward. Words do matter. Tampa's primary issue was pressure. The only way to ease pressure is thru coaching and leadership

Sojourn

Nov 1, 2006
I would love to know how/if this is getting accounted for.​

It seems significant, right? So it should be factored in, when you’re seeing numbers dip like that. So, is it? And then you need to ask how it’s being factored in.

Too many unknowns to read much from those graphs.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad