Pre-Game Talk: Tampa Bay Lightning vs Toronto Maple Leafs Jan 02

Status
Not open for further replies.

Bullseye

Jun 14, 2012
Niagara
Rielly was pretty dreadful last night. Really really need him to have a big game.

Ya but it's a hard league and that was a really fast disciplined team Rielly was battling yesterday. They dissect defences like surgeons.

I Love what Rielly brings. I Love how Hainsey has helped Rielly play with confidence and show what he's got. Ideally, it would be outstanding if Lou could find someone like Hainsey for Gardiner and/or Zaitsev to achieve the same calm elevation of their games because both have way more to show the league.

2 solid d-men with a side of veteran centre please Lou.

Daisy Jane

everything is gonna be okay!
Jul 2, 2009
Plus, who knows how it would have played out here. His partner, TJ Brodie, is having a terrible season as well. Pretty similar to our second pair of Gardiner and Zaitsev.

exactly. i say give it another year or so and if Harmonic sucks then then we dodged a bullet.

ULF_55

Feb 27, 2002
Mountain Standard Ti
Visit site
Ya but it's a hard league and that was a really fast disciplined team Rielly was battling yesterday. They dissect defences like surgeons.

I Love what Rielly brings. I Love how Hainsey has helped Rielly play with confidence and show what he's got. Ideally, it would be outstanding if Lou could find someone like Hainsey for Gardiner and/or Zaitsev to achieve the same calm elevation of their games because both have way more to show the league.

2 solid d-men with a side of veteran centre please Lou.

They might have to look at getting a couple rentals, but have to find some way to make the cap work.

Is Lupul insured? If they could move his cap hit and a prospect for a rental like Hainsey it might be enough to settle down the youngsters.

Reactions: Bullseye

thewave

Jun 17, 2011
Not going to be a pretty game...

Moore makes his line weak
Bozak makes his line weak
Polak makes his line weak
Marincin makes his line weak
Jake has been weak defensively
Martin can't be used effectively

-------------

Leivo is better
Kappy is better
Goat is better
Dermmy is better
Carrick is better
Aalt is better
Fehr is better

Babcock has better option but stubbornly chooses not to play them. Its almost as if he reads sites like this and only selects what hasn't been posted before.

BoredBrandonPridham

Aug 9, 2011
Not going to be a pretty game...

Moore makes his line weak
Bozak makes his line weak
Polak makes his line weak
Marincin makes his line weak
Jake has been weak defensively
Martin can't be used effectively

-------------

Leivo is better
Kappy is better
Goat is better
Dermmy is better
Carrick is better
Aalt is better
Fehr is better

Babcock has better option but stubbornly chooses not to play them. Its almost as if he reads sites like this and only selects what hasn't been posted before.

Not the worst management strategy tbh

PromisedLand

I need more FOOD
Dec 3, 2016
Hogwarts
Consider what Babs has to work with on D before calling him a moron. With all the defensive warts this team has, he is more of a genius in my books.

You coach to your team’s strength. If the personnel is not available for checking style of hockey or dump and chase then you change the systems.

Look at what Sully did when he took over with the pens last time they were in a rut.

ToneDog

56 years and counting. #FireTheShanaClan!
Jun 11, 2017
Richmond Hill, ON
You coach to your team’s strength. If the personnel is not available for checking style of hockey or dump and chase then you change the systems.

Look at what Sully did when he took over with the pens last time they were in a rut.

Sully had much more pieces than we have and he had hungry players who played above their heads. How is Sully doing today ? Babs is not the problem. We don't have all the necessary ingredients to be a serious SC threat just yet.

And just what type of style should this lot be playing ?

Reactions: The Man with a Plan

Brobust

Sep 29, 2017
Currently don't have faith in this team to not get embarrassed by Tampa. They will run roughshod over the 2nd and 3rd pairs and I'm dreading seeing Polak against Kucherov/Stamkos. So I'll record and watch based on the outcome.

Reactions: 6ix and wingman75

Al14

Jul 13, 2007
Trying to be optimistic, I think we score at least 1 goal!

Who knows how many goals Stamkos and Kucherov will score.

moon111

Oct 18, 2014
powerhouses have holes in their lineup.
there isn't a perfect team.
The problem is, the Leaf's hole in the blueline is big enough you could drive a Zamboni through it. Or in Polak's case just go around him.

MJ65

Jul 12, 2009
Toronto
This is going to be a real tough game and a big test for the Leafs and could be a turning point for the Leafs to establish themselves as a threat for any team. For some reason I have a good feeling for this one as they have gone through some rough time losing to Vegas and Colarodao (the game that they should have won) and now they are back on home

On the other hand Tampa has been very consistent and have accumulated points in 30 games (28 wins) out of total 38 games and I believe they have to go through some kind of a slump and I believe this is time where they are going to slow down a bit (obviously I am not some kind of a fortune teller but I said earlier I have a pretty good feeling for this game)

Nylander88

Aug 13, 2016
Ontario
Hope Dermott gets a shot soon until Zaits is back. I thought he was impressive in training camp and is solid all around.

Willchel Marlynder

(philer bozel)
Jul 15, 2010
Windsor, ON
Can't blame Babs too much when it comes to the defence. Slim pickings on the backend. Still though, seeing Polak and Marincin in a game together just makes you cringe. I actually don't mind leaving Dermott down until late in the season. Let him get back to 100% and then get him some time in the NHL this season. He'll be a mainstay next season.

6ix

HitEmWit4LikeAustonM
Nov 26, 2014
This one could get ugly. Babcock might have that deer in headlight look again if Tampa scores 2 quick ones.

Drytoast

Sep 27, 2017
I am expecting a ****-kicking of the biggest kind. If Tampa doesn't score 6 I will be shocked (of course I hope I am).

Our defensive liabilities are becoming more and more a burden as the season passes and these good teams are licking their chops when they get their chance to dig in.

I'd like to see a move or two between now and the end of the month to shore up the roster (be that trade or call-up) and see what else we need at the deadline (if anything).

You can't make a move during a sign of weakness. Do that and you over pay and well...look at edmonton to see how that pans out.

BoredBrandonPridham

Aug 9, 2011
There is potentially a strategy behind this and it comes down to contracts but is certainly a tight rope act. You are right.
I think contracts are a part of it and the desire to not just toss assets aside. We’d regret it when injuries eventually hit.

Not a huge fan of someone like Moore being in the lineup over seeing our new toys like the Goat give a chance. The box of mystery is always more enticing.

However, usually when Babcock thinks a player is not ready for the NHL, he tends to be right when those players go elsewhere and fail to stick. Perhaps the only exception I’ve seen so far is Panik?

Reactions: Rogie

CanadasTeam

Nov 9, 2009
Tarrana
easy W.
Kuch and Stamkos are gonna get shut down by Marincin and Gardiner
XEKLSAn.png

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad