Pre-Game Talk: Tampa Bay Lightning vs Toronto Maple Leafs Jan 02

Status
Not open for further replies.

Rayzorexe

Meh..
Dec 29, 2009
Toronto, ON
Lightning coming off a 5 - 0 win against Columbus and the Leafs are sliding into this game with a poor defensive effort in pretty much every game this year.

Expecting at least one or both teams to score at least 5 in this game.

Also likely a pre-game ceremony honour Johnny Bower (R.I.P.) since its the first game back at home in a while

Reactions: hullsy47

A1LeafNation

Obsession beats talent everytime!!
Oct 17, 2010
I hope Lamoriello put them in a hotel in Oakville 25 min away. Too much trouble if they stay downtown.

Bullseye

Jun 14, 2012
Niagara
This was always going to be a rough game for the Leafs given how dominant Tampa has been all season. To put the Leafs loss to VGK in perspective - they beat Tampa 4-3 last week. I don't have high hopes for this game but sometimes they can surprise in these situations.

hullsy47

Dec 7, 2005
Lightning coming off a 5 - 0 win against Columbus and the Leafs are sliding into this game with a poor defensive effort in pretty much every game this year.

Expecting at least one or both teams to score at least 5 in this game.

Also likely a pre-game ceremony honour Johnny Bower (R.I.P.) since its the first game back at home in a while
well at least Hughson and simpson acknowledged the leafs need help on defense ...early game on news years eve ,millions of pre game drinkers and leafs nation watching
lets see if we want LOU LAM extended ,
team needs help on this homestand

CantLoseWithMatthews

Sep 28, 2015
Consider what Babs has to work with on D before calling him a moron. With all the defensive warts this team has, he is more of a genius in my books.
he has to get good results before calling him a genius. he also doesn't do himself any favours by playing his inferior personnel like Polak over Carrick

Reactions: ToMaLe

CantLoseWithMatthews

Sep 28, 2015
Polak, Carrick, Marincin, sometimes Jake, Z, and Borgman. Choose your poison.
it doesn't help with the injuries we have, sure. Polak never should have seen time when our defense was healthy though. Babcock should also be taking away Gardiner's powerplay time

ToneDog

56 years and counting. #FireTheShanaClan!
Jun 11, 2017
Richmond Hill, ON
it doesn't help with the injuries we have, sure. Polak never should have seen time when our defense was healthy though. Babcock should also be taking away Gardiner's powerplay time

Polak's grit is something that the rest of the D lacks. Without a better option, Babs hands are tied. Carrick could make the decision easier for Babs if he played better and was more consistent. Carrick was lost against the AVs. Jake needs a serious wake up call and soon.

CantLoseWithMatthews

Sep 28, 2015
Polak's grit is something that the rest of the D lacks. Without a better option, Babs hands are tied. Carrick could make the decision easier for Babs if he played better and was more consistent. Carrick was lost against the AVs. Jake needs a serious wake up call and soon.
grit does have a place in the game, but you can't play someone who offers nothing besides grit. he's too useless overall.
The biggest problem with our defense is Gardiner. if he was as good as last year we could have 2 reliable defensive pairs, but he makes it so we can only trust Rielly-Hainsey. I really hope he's gone soon

wingman75

Dec 3, 2008
The QC
I am expecting a shit-kicking of the biggest kind. If Tampa doesn't score 6 I will be shocked (of course I hope I am).

Our defensive liabilities are becoming more and more a burden as the season passes and these good teams are licking their chops when they get their chance to dig in.

I'd like to see a move or two between now and the end of the month to shore up the roster (be that trade or call-up) and see what else we need at the deadline (if anything).

lifelonghockeyfan

Dec 18, 2015
Lake Huron
Medicore or just above mediocre teams have holes in the lineup. For the Leafs it's getting their defencemen. When all are playing well, the defence is more than satisfactory. But with the natural ebb and flows of their talent it is what it is. Just not much can be done this season, Trades are tough and expensive and their in no one in the AHL who is NHL good.
Looking at the UFA pool next year, there are few options even short term. Looks like the Leafs are going to have to trade some of wingers to get some more competency on defence, even if it's a summer deal.

Reactions: D3SIJ4TT

Stephen

Feb 28, 2002
I thought Vegas was an auto loss for sure, but somehow feel like they'll play well tomorrow against Tampa and possibly win.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad