Pre-Game Talk: Tampa Bay Lightning @ New York Rangers Game 2

Status
Not open for further replies.

MysticLeviathan

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jan 7, 2013
Play like you did last time. That simple.

I think that mindset is precisely why the Rangers keep losing game 2s at home after winning game 1. The fact is we were very lucky to get out of htat game with the win, and it's pretty clear TB didn't play anywhere near as good as they could. If we play the way we did yesterday and Tampa steps up their game, we're going to lose game 2. We can't be content with having numerous AAA 5* chances, we need to finish them as well, which we've struggled to do all playoffs long. First goal was primarily due to the fact Bishop lost his stick, and the second goal was a fluke bounce right off of Moore's leg that Bishop had zero chance on. If we don't step up our game, adapt to TB's changes, and finish the chances we need to finish, then we're going to lose. I feel like that stagnant mentality is why we can't string a 2-0 run at home to start a series.

Rangerfan4life90

Oct 14, 2008
College Point, NY
I think that mindset is precisely why the Rangers keep losing game 2s at home after winning game 1. The fact is we were very lucky to get out of htat game with the win, and it's pretty clear TB didn't play anywhere near as good as they could. If we play the way we did yesterday and Tampa steps up their game, we're going to lose game 2. We can't be content with having numerous AAA 5* chances, we need to finish them as well, which we've struggled to do all playoffs long. First goal was primarily due to the fact Bishop lost his stick, and the second goal was a fluke bounce right off of Moore's leg that Bishop had zero chance on. If we don't step up our game, adapt to TB's changes, and finish the chances we need to finish, then we're going to lose. I feel like that stagnant mentality is why we can't string a 2-0 run at home to start a series.

Rangers outplayed them for most of the game. If they play like they did in game 1, but actually finishing more of their chances (tough order with this team, though), then a 2-0 lead in the series will be more than likely.

darko

Feb 16, 2009
The last time we took a 2-0 lead after a pair of home games was on May 1 and 3 of 1994. Can the Rangers to show all those 30-and-under youngsters what winning both home games look like? Also, why does it seem like we haven't scored more than 2 goals in two games in a row in forever. Literally can't remember it.

Steve Valiquette said that a goalie can lose up to 14 pounds in one game if it's particularly difficult. Therefore, I must conclude that Lundqvist was 375 pounds before the playoffs began.

I don't buy that. Formula 1 drivers (and race car drivers in general lose most water) lose somewhere between 2 and 3 litres per race. During Malaysian Grand Prix where it was humid they were monitoring drivers closer because they'd lose up to 4 litres and risk severe dehydration. 6 litres (14 pounds) seems excessive.

ImIdaho

Choo-Choo-Choose me!
Mar 21, 2012
I don't buy that. Formula 1 drivers (and race car drivers in general lose most water) lose somewhere between 2 and 3 litres per race. During Malaysian Grand Prix where it was humid they were monitoring drivers closer because they'd lose up to 4 litres and risk severe dehydration. 6 litres (14 pounds) seems excessive.

But are drivers capable of rehydrating and have two 15 minutes rests during the race?

I'm not big into auto sports so I don't know if they have a period to cool off or they can drink something in the vehicle.

darko

Feb 16, 2009
Not only did we play 15 playoff games in a row that were decided by a single goal, but prior to our 3-0 loss to the Kings in Game 3, we went another 3 one-goal games. That's 18 out of the last 19 games and 20 of the last 22 games. Since May 22 of last season, we had 2 games that were won by more than a goal and we lost both of them.

The last playoff game we won by more than a single goal came on May 19, 2014 in a 3:1 victory over the Habs in Game 2 of the ECF. If we don't win by more than a goal tomorrow, it will have been more than a year and 23 playoff games since our multi-goal win.

The last time we won by 2+ goals at home so that fans can enjoy it was Game 6 vs the Penguins on May 11. I was at that game. Would've bet a lot of money at the time that it won't take us another 5 rounds of playoff hockey to win one at home by 2+ goals. Would've lost that bet.

images

darko

Feb 16, 2009
But are drivers capable of rehydrating and have two 15 minutes rests during the race?

I'm not big into auto sports so I don't know if they have a period to cool off or they can drink something in the vehicle.

They can re-hydrate while driving but no rest breaks. Formula 1 race usually goes for about 80-90 minutes which is obviously shorter than a hockey game but race car drivers sometimes deal with cockpit temperatures in excess of 50C.

nevesis

Sponsor
Jan 3, 2008
NY

Lot of experts here!

Comparing race car drivers to hockey goalies? Oh boy.

When a former NHL goalie says it, you still don't buy it? Cmon man!

Hopefully after reading this article, you'll be more inclined to believe it.

The scientific star of those infomercials is Dr. Lawrence Spriet of the University of Guelph in Ontario. Where else to go, but the source? Dr. Spriet was happy to speak with me for inGoal Magazine and tell us how his research applies specifically to goalies.

The interview was interesting as it touched on many areas beyond the world junior squad. They have had the opportunity to test the Guelph Storm more extensively, even in games. They have also worked with the New York Rangers and Dr. Spriet consults informally with Nashville goaltender Dan Ellis – who once lost 13 pounds due to sweat in a single game!

http://ingoalmag.com/interviews/gatorade-sport-science-research-fluid-loss-in-goalies/

broadwayblue

Mar 4, 2004
NYC
I would not be surprised if the series is 2-2 after 4 games. Tampa is better than they showed on Saturday. I think the Rangers will win, but it will not be a short series.

I would not be surprised either. BUT, we've get at least a 50/50 shot of winning tomorrow. And if you can go up 2-0 you are in the driver's seat. Sure, the road team can hold serve on their ice...but when down 2 you are on thin ice. The pressure is almost entirely on you and there's very little room for error. I expect nothing less than a much better effort from TB tomorrow. But I also expect we will be ready for it and being the home team we can make whatever adjustments are necessary. I like our chances tomorrow. If we come away with a win the potential is certainly there for a short series. But as they say, one game at a time.

Hockey Team

Hunger Force
Dec 30, 2009
New York, NY

Driving a formula 1 car is intensive and requires good physical condition, but ice hockey is way more intensive.

Cygnus 2112

Aug 7, 2014
Long Island
Anyone else think it was kinda weird for Stralman to reiterate that he really didn't want to leave NY last season? It's the ECF and you're facing the very team you wanted to stay with. If I'm Cooper, I'm not happy about this.

But as a Ranger fan I hope it causes Tampa Bay Turmoil.

Rangerfan4life90

Oct 14, 2008
College Point, NY
Anyone else think it was kinda weird for Stralman to reiterate that he really didn't want to leave NY last season? It's the ECF and you're facing the very team you wanted to stay with. If I'm Cooper, I'm not happy about this.

When did Stralman say this?

I feel bad for Stralman out of the recent Rangers that have left the team over the past couple of years or so. He wanted to stay a Ranger, but the Ranger brass chose Boyle over him.

Stralman admitted as such last July/August that he didn't want to leave.

Captain Lindy

Formerly known as Kreider Beast
Apr 1, 2006
Virginia

I feel bad for Stralman out of the recent Rangers that have left the team over the past couple of years or so. He wanted to stay a Ranger, but the Ranger brass chose Boyle over him.

I remember him saying he didn't want to leave right after the LA series. He seemed really upset about it too.

Beacon

Embrace the tank
May 28, 2007

The Rangers went with Boyle over Stralman not only because they wanted a puck mover, but because they didn't want to give out another long term contract on defense knowing McIlrath and Skjei are on the way, and the Rangers will have to give out several big contracts to guys like Stepan, Kreider, etc.

Rangerfan4life90

Oct 14, 2008
College Point, NY
The Rangers went with Boyle over Stralman not only because they wanted a puck mover, but because they didn't want to give out another long term contract on defense knowing McIlrath and Skjei are on the way, and the Rangers will have to give out several big contracts to guys like Stepan, Kreider, etc.

This as well. Although, Boyle didn't live up to the reason they went with him over Stralsy.

Stralman was a victim of a numbers game down the line, unfortunately (for him and the team).

ImIdaho

Choo-Choo-Choose me!
Mar 21, 2012

So McIlrath is progressing well?

Beacon

Embrace the tank
May 28, 2007
So McIlrath is progressing well?

Beukeboom on McIlrath:

"He's playing the best hockey of his professional career. He's been playing outstanding. He seems to really thrive in the playoff situations. He's playing very physical but at the same time is — knock on wood — he's staying out of the penalty box. He's been one of our most consistent penalty killer with whoever he goes out there with. He's playing a lot of minutes and he's strong and is as strong defensively as he's been as a pro. The second-half of this season, he's just taken off. At Christmas, I think he was a minus 11 or 12, and he finished the year a plus-6. He's actually scored a couple big goals for us down the stretch. He's never been better."

ImIdaho

Choo-Choo-Choose me!
Mar 21, 2012
Beukeboom on McIlrath:

"He's playing the best hockey of his professional career. He's been playing outstanding. He seems to really thrive in the playoff situations. He's playing very physical but at the same time is — knock on wood — he's staying out of the penalty box. He's been one of our most consistent penalty killer with whoever he goes out there with. He's playing a lot of minutes and he's strong and is as strong defensively as he's been as a pro. The second-half of this season, he's just taken off. At Christmas, I think he was a minus 11 or 12, and he finished the year a plus-6. He's actually scored a couple big goals for us down the stretch. He's never been better."

Alright. Guess he really improved his skating. Man, if he still can make those big hits like everyone promised, I can easily forget about Stralman not being on the Rangers.

Beacon

Embrace the tank
May 28, 2007
We should give Hank this one game off.
Would help with both rest of the series, as well as the finals.

Dude... seriously? Do you realize that all the starting goalies play every single playoff game? Lundqvist missed 2 months right before the playoffs, so he has had more rest than ever.

broadwayblue

Mar 4, 2004
NYC
Beukeboom on McIlrath:

Totally off topic, but great to hear. Sure would be nice if he could earn the 6th d spot next season.

Doctyl

Play-ins Manager
Jan 25, 2011
Bofflol
Beukeboom on McIlrath:

very impressive

Cygnus 2112

Aug 7, 2014
Long Island

He said it at practice today. Either before or after Cooper said his team's play made him physically ill.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad