Tampa Bay Lightning Defeat the New Jersey Devils 4 Games to 1 and Advance to the ECSF

The Macho King

Back* to Back** World Champion
Jun 22, 2011
I was on the Hall for Hart "Train" before this series. I'm on the MacKinnon Train now. I don't think I've ever seen a winger play worse D, take dumber penalties and cherry pick like Hall. I understand why he plays like that, he's the vast majority of their offense. That kind of play is likely not sustainable. I take a forward like Point over Hall for this reason. Pointer won't ever be as flashy or score as much as Hall, but he plays 200' and doesn't "cheat the game" in favor of offense.
So I think this is overstating it, but Hall's heroics are also getting way too much play versus what actually happened out there this series. I can think of only one game where his line outplayed the line that was set out against him, and he took a lot of minors this series.

Watching the Avs series versus this one... MacKinnon is a just willing the Avs into the games/series. I didn't see the same level of domination out of Hall.

HallStar

Jun 9, 2016
I was on the Hall for Hart "Train" before this series. I'm on the MacKinnon Train now. I don't think I've ever seen a winger play worse D, take dumber penalties and cherry pick like Hall. I understand why he plays like that, he's the vast majority of their offense. That kind of play is likely not sustainable. I take a forward like Point over Hall for this reason. Pointer won't ever be as flashy or score as much as Hall, but he plays 200' and doesn't "cheat the game" in favor of offense.
Taylor Hall played a 200ft game all season. He had to hang to get chances against the Lightning because the Point line and the McD Stralman pairing was controlling him. Also if Hall doesn't provide offense there's no way the NJDevils have a chance.

Aug 25, 2009
éal
Like I wrote in the GDT, if the Devils can afford to grab a big name in the UFA market this summer they will be a very good team for the next few years. Some posters wrote Carlson, him, Tavares, Stastny,... might be good adds

Reactions: Perrah

RussianGuyovich

Hella Ennui
Jan 2, 2007
So I think this is overstating it, but Hall's heroics are also getting way too much play versus what actually happened out there this series. I can think of only one game where his line outplayed the line that was set out against him, and he took a lot of minors this series.

Watching the Avs series versus this one... MacKinnon is a just willing the Avs into the games/series. I didn't see the same level of domination out of Hall.
I see the same thing, but the preds are a team more dependent on their D for offense than we are. Ergo, they are more involved in the rush, and a speedster like MAC is feasting on them. I’m not sure hall wouldn’t do the same, or better, against the preds. And I think the lightning absolutely stifle mac.

NJ DevLolz

The Many Saints of Newark
Sep 30, 2017

Uhh, Mackinnon is playing with a guy who hit 85 points and one of the best two-way forward in the league in Landeskog.

Hall played with a slight, gassed 19 year old rookie playing in his first NHL season and an injured Kyle Palmieri.

It's almost like it's easier to play well with better players around you

Leonardo87

New York Rangers, Anaheim Ducks, and TMNT fan.
Sponsor
Dec 8, 2013
New York
Too much depth for NJ to handle in the end.

They should be consistent visitors to the playoffs with some help on D and some help for Hall up front.

Schneider made it a series. He had a heck of a performance.

Makes you wonder if Schneider started this series, if there would have been a different outcome through the first 4 games. Kinkaid gave up some really bad goals in Game 1 and 2.

HallStar

Jun 9, 2016

MacK is playing with an 84 point scorer and a 64 point scorer. It is a lot easier to create chances with that talent. Hall is playing with a 19 year old rookie who scored 52 and a different RWer every game.

The Macho King

Back* to Back** World Champion
Jun 22, 2011
Uhh, Mackinnon is playing with a guy who hit 85 points and one of the best two-way forward in the league in Landeskog.

Hall played with a slight, gassed 19 year old rookie playing in his first NHL season and an injured Kyle Palmieri.

Landeskog is not "one of the best two-way forwards in the league."

Reactions: TheGoldenJet

NJ DevLolz

The Many Saints of Newark
Sep 30, 2017
Makes you wonder if Schneider started this series, if there would have been a different outcome through the first 4 games. Kinkaid gave up some really bad goals in Game 1 and 2.
They couldnt start Schneider in the playoffs. Kinkaid carried the load down the stretch and Schneider hadn't won a game since 2017 before his Game 3 win.

TheDaysOf 04

[ 2 6 ] [ 4 ]
Jun 23, 2007
NJ
Good series NJ. You guys took huge steps this season with a young group, and now they have some valuable experience under their belts. You've done more in a single season to grow a winning team than some do over a couple years. I saw a lot of Devil fans were pretty upbeat and proud of their team before and earlier in this series, and a loss here shouldn't change that. Cheers.

PRZ45MD

Aug 11, 2016

I agree with this. Nico needs some more man-muscle. He's gonna be better. Palmieri is a legit weapon when healthy too, has a hammer of a one-timer and he can skate.

HallStar

Jun 9, 2016
In one thread: "HIRSCHIER DOESN'T GET NO RESPECT!"

In the other: "HALL IS DRAGGING AROUND TWO SCRUBS ON HIS LINE!!!"
Hischier is a 19 year old who admits to being tired in the 2nd half of the year. He isn't a finished product. MacK has a 84 point winger to help take some of the attention away. MacK is a great Hart candidate who may win it, but Hall just as deserving for it.

jcaulfield8

Apr 19, 2018
Can’t believe devils fans are saying with vats they win game 4 and 5.....then they blame the refs for blatant calls the refs had to make. They blame everything but the difference in talent and coaching....those that actually think these are the reasons why they lost, please find your way back to reality before the 18/19 season starts up

Reactions: Herbert Lewis

NyQuil

Big F$&*in Q
Jan 5, 2005
Ottawa, ON
Can’t believe devils fans are saying with vats they win game 4 and 5.....then they blame the refs for blatant calls the refs had to make. They blame everything but the difference in talent and coaching....those that actually think these are the reasons why they lost, please find your way back to reality before the 18/19 season starts up

Most of them aren't.

HallStar

Jun 9, 2016
Joined Thursday.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad