Post-Game Talk: Tale of Two Jets Teams - Jets fall 5-3

Status
Not open for further replies.

White Out 403*

Now 1290 says TNSE has to pay most of the Jets like they are superstars. It's all insane.
Good call David.

these guys are so out of touch with reality its mind boggling. bottom of the league yet .. some how... the individual parts are worth a stanley cup contender. :help:

and thanks.

sipowicz

The thrill is gone
Mar 16, 2011
these guys are so out of touch with reality its mind boggling. bottom of the league yet .. some how... the individual parts are worth a stanley cup contender. :help:

and thanks.

It's a Winnipeg sports media thing, players worth totally overblown as usual, uh maybe there's a reason the team is tied for last place.

AWSAA

Sep 8, 2003
C'mon 1290. Re-signing Buff, Scheif, and Trouba won't put us over the cap.

Subtract Enstrom, Pavelec, Stuart, Ladd, Stafford, and Thorburn. That's $22 million or so off the books.

EDIT:

Now comparing Scheifs & Trouba to PJ Subban. He won the *** Norris during his bridge deal. Not happening with those two.

kylbaz

Winnipeg <3
Nov 14, 2015
www.movingtowinnipeg.ca
xhLQbWc.jpg

Trouba going to pinch, a half hearted pinch, when Carolina already has the puck, giving up a 2 on 1 to seal the game. What an embarrassment. He seems to have quite a few of those lately.

Derfel*

I'm afraid that if and when they get into the "trade to develop for next season" mode, they'll trade the wrong components and keep the really wrong ones.

Hank Chinaski

May 29, 2007
YFO
xhLQbWc.jpg

Trouba going to pinch, a half hearted pinch, when Carolina already has the puck, giving up a 2 on 1 to seal the game. What an embarrassment. He seems to have quite a few of those lately.

You're using a still frame to show it was a half-hearted pinch?

It wasn't half-hearted at all if you watch in real time. He likely thought the net was empty and needed to make a play to keep it in. He took a reasonable gamble and lost on this play.

Holden Caulfield

Eternal Skeptic
Feb 15, 2006
Winnipeg
Thought Burmi was good.

Burmi was horribad in the first 10 minutes. I guess so was everyone but more than a couple times he stood out as extremely bad. We he got demoted it seemed to light a fire under his ass. He had that great PK shift then started to turn it around to end with a real good game actually. But wow it must be so frustrating for Maurice, Burmi just seems like a guy that is really hard to keep motivated.

On that note (benching) did anyone else notice with about 7 minutes left Chiarot made a mindbogglingly stupid play. I commented about it to my gf, and sure enough he was pulled off (but his partner Myers was not) for Trouba. He didn't see the ice again. Is Maurice and co FINALLY waking up to the play of Stuart and Chiarot? Stuart was similiarly nailed to the bench over final 8-10 minutes. Hope it wasn't just a "we're losing" thing, hopefully they are starting to see the poor play of these two.

Holden Caulfield

Eternal Skeptic
Feb 15, 2006
Winnipeg
The worst defensive lapse was on the first, where Enstrom lost position on Di Giuseppe and gave him an easy tap in. Second was a bad rebound. You can cut him a bit of slack in that he put it in a spot where 90% of the time you expect a teammate there to claim it or at least tie someone up. Even still, that's a muffin of a shot that he could've easily smothered.

Third looked worse live than it actually was, I didn't realize Staal went post and in. It didn't look like Helle squared himself properly on the shot.

I'm no goaltending expert and I don't have the replays handy so I'll cede to you, ex-goalie lol.

The 3rd was just the perfect shot to me. TBH not sure how you didn't know post live it was such a bullet that post rang out for us to easily hear in row 8 of the upper deck to me lol.

I know far side pad is one of the best tactics for shooters to use that is very very hard even for NHL goalies to control. Perhaps he could have controlled it better, I'm gonna see if I can see the replays.

Puckatron 3000

Glitchy Prototype
Feb 4, 2014
Offensive Zone
thats the longest ive gone on 1290.

That was a good call, White Out. You and I disagree drastically on many things, but you present and speak well on the radio. I've heard you a couple times now. Your frustration and anger comes through a little more in some of your posts here, but on the radio you more calmly step through the logic of your opinion, and it works a lot better, IMHO.

That's not uncommon though - the faceless and anonymous nature of the internet tends to make things a lot more harsh than a real person-to-person conversation, even one over the phone.

Hank Chinaski

May 29, 2007
YFO
I'm no goaltending expert and I don't have the replays handy so I'll cede to you, ex-goalie lol.

The 3rd was just the perfect shot to me. TBH not sure how you didn't know post live it was such a bullet that post rang out for us to easily hear in row 8 of the upper deck to me lol.

I know far side pad is one of the best tactics for shooters to use that is very very hard even for NHL goalies to control. Perhaps he could have controlled it better, I'm gonna see if I can see the replays.

Yeah, saw the replay and the third wasn't anywhere near as bad as I originally thought. And Helle actually did a pretty good job squaring and was at the top of his crease.

Far side pad (especially stick side) is definitely the trickiest save to make, especially going from a RHS to the left corner and vice-versa, since you typically want to cheat a bit to the short side.

Hank Chinaski

May 29, 2007
YFO
On that note (benching) did anyone else notice with about 7 minutes left Chiarot made a mindbogglingly stupid play. I commented about it to my gf, and sure enough he was pulled off (but his partner Myers was not) for Trouba. He didn't see the ice again. Is Maurice and co FINALLY waking up to the play of Stuart and Chiarot? Stuart was similiarly nailed to the bench over final 8-10 minutes. Hope it wasn't just a "we're losing" thing, hopefully they are starting to see the poor play of these two.

The terrible one I recall in the third was a 40 foot pass up the middle that he tried dropping between two Hurricanes players in the neutral zone. Just ugly.

I actually thought Chiarot had one of his better games tonight, and hit a few solid first passes. Overall though, he's just been way too sketchy as a puckmover to be playing regularly. You ideally want someone like Chiarot playing as a 6/7 and paired with a strong puckmover.

Derfel*

The terrible one I recall in the third was a 40 foot pass up the middle that he tried dropping between two Hurricanes players in the neutral zone. Just ugly.

I actually thought Chiarot had one of his better games tonight, and hit a few solid first passes. Overall though, he's just been way too sketchy as a puckmover to be playing regularly. You ideally want someone like Chiarot playing as a 6/7 and paired with a strong puckmover.

From what I saw of the game, I'd agree. He looked serviceable out there tonight for sure.

sipowicz

The thrill is gone
Mar 16, 2011
Burmi was horribad in the first 10 minutes. I guess so was everyone but more than a couple times he stood out as extremely bad. We he got demoted it seemed to light a fire under his ass. He had that great PK shift then started to turn it around to end with a real good game actually. But wow it must be so frustrating for Maurice, Burmi just seems like a guy that is really hard to keep motivated.

Makes me wonder why they don't give either Postma or Pardy some games, Stuart is already at the " anyone else couldn't be much worse stage". Still find it that the Jets kept winning with Pardy in the lineup, how bad could he be, he is a better PK'er than what they roll out with Stuart. Very confusing on player usage on this team.

Mortimer Snerd

You kids get off my lawn!
Sponsor
Jun 10, 2014
47 points. 6 way tie for dead freakin last. If the draft were held today we would pick 4th.

Holden Caulfield

Eternal Skeptic
Feb 15, 2006
Winnipeg

He had a couple of five foot passes that he completely messed up which ended up with Canes having significant zone time. A couple of times he pulled out the Stuart playbook going for the big hit resulting odd man situations. He was just all over the place tonight and not in a good way. Then he smartens up for a shift, makes a real nice play to get the puck, makes a beauty pass and follows it up by holding the line well. He is inconsistent minute to minute, but he is trending downward, IMO. He is a 6/7, not a guy you want dressing everyday for your team but can be used int he right situation.

You are completely right he needs a puck mover though. That might help stabilize his game, he really really needs to simplifiy his game and not try to be Byfuglien. Say do we have any smooth skating, right handed, slick passing right handed defensemen just hanging around the roster anywhere Hank? :D

winnipegger

Dec 17, 2013
Are there a disproportionate amount of goals against when Stuart is on the ice relative to his usage? He is a -7 but I know how much +/- is frowned on.

Hank Chinaski

May 29, 2007
YFO
You are completely right he needs a puck mover though. That might help stabilize his game, he really really needs to simplifiy his game and not try to be Byfuglien. Say do we have any smooth skating, right handed, slick passing right handed defensemen just hanging around the roster anywhere Hank? :D

:rant:

Postma locked away in the press box is crazy, I don't get it. Truth be told, I was pretty down on Postma up until last season. Then he went out and absolutely killed it on the third pairing for the first two months of the season. His struggles coincided with all of the injuries on the Jets blueline and being forced to play harder minutes. Plus there's a bit of a Byfuglien effect with him, where his mistakes stand out (getting walked by Vanek, brainfreeze on the delayed offside vs. Minnesota last season...he seems to have trouble against the Wild!)

He is your classic bottom pairing puckmover that most teams in the NHL see the benefit of. Maurice, for whatever reason, doesn't see it.

jiho

Apr 30, 2012
I'm afraid that if and when they get into the "trade to develop for next season" mode, they'll trade the wrong components and keep the really wrong ones.

I have very little confidence in Chevy. When you say "when they get in the trade mode" is concerning. With just over three weeks until the deadline it appears Chevy is not even sure what he is going to do based on reports other GMs want to know what Chevy is going to do. You would think Chevy would be burning the phone lines at this point. I was a Ladd fan and thought he should of been signed this summer. I think Chevy lucked out by not signing him in the summer. Based on his play, there is no way you can risk signing him to a 6 x $6M deal. He has been horrible. I am not a Buff fan and would of traded him years ago in a hockey trade. I think it is too risky to trade a player of his talent for prospects/picks which is all you will get now so he must be resigned as it is way too big a hole to be replaced. It is going to be an interesting month to see what Chevy does.

kylbaz

Winnipeg <3
Nov 14, 2015
www.movingtowinnipeg.ca
You're using a still frame to show it was a half-hearted pinch?

It wasn't half-hearted at all if you watch in real time. He likely thought the net was empty and needed to make a play to keep it in. He took a reasonable gamble and lost on this play.

I don't know how to take video, so I was commenting and showing how the guy already had the puck and he was pinching. It sure was half hearted in real time. And what? You think he doesn't know if there's a goalie in net or not? lol

Here's the video. You're right it wasn't half hearted at the time. He skated hard to get there. Problem was he was so late on the play it wasn't even close and all he could do was try and reach to stop (which made it appear half hearted). It was still a terrible gamble because he could have went back even if the net was empty. That being said, Enstrom looked like an even bigger idiot the way he played that two on one.
https://www.nhl.com/video/t-277984184/c-40900103

Last edited:

Hank Chinaski

May 29, 2007
YFO
I don't know how to take video, so I was commenting and showing how the guy already had the puck and he was pinching. It sure was half hearted in real time. And what? You think he doesn't know if there's a goalie in net or not? lol

I don't know what's lol worthy about that. He doesn't have eyes in the back of his head. His team had it pinned deep with 90 seconds to go, thinking the goalie was out wasn't a bad assumption to make.

In real time it isn't anywhere near as bad as you're describing it in terms of effort. You don't seem to realize that he almost managed to force a turnover.

BrokerD

Apr 13, 2012

and thanks.

Missed the call Dave...

How about a few juicy details? :cheers:

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad