Brett44

Feb 11, 2017
avs can trade a Center for a winger

Soderberg and second 2018 nashville
Ryan + Formenton or Batherson

ManwithNoIdentity

Jun 4, 2016
Kalamazoo, MI
Would something around Ryan and Abdelkader be of interest to either side?

Ryan has 4.5 x 7.25; Abdelkader has 5.5 x 4.25 remaining

Maybe something around Ryan and Ennis + Foligno from MIN?

I've liked Bobby Ryan for a long time and really don't think he's as bad as HF makes him out to be

I'd love to ship out Abdelkader for him but KH will never get rid of a Michigan guy if he can help it

me2

Go ahead foot
Jun 28, 2002
Make my day.
I'd want a late 1st just to warehouse him if he only had one year left, with 4+ a lot more. Sens are stuck with unless they pay a heavy price to make him go away, buy him out, retain a ton or take an equally bad contract back. They just have to ride out the contract imho.

KevinRedkey

12/18/23 and beyond!
Jan 22, 2010
Except that his roster spot needs to be replaced by someone else, who also costs money over those 8 years. So you would need to take that into account.

Just like when you see a deal like Ryan at 3 million retained for a guy making 3 million...well due to the retention, the acquiring guy now really costs you 6 million...and is he worth that?

Very true but I think they would simply promote someone cheap like Nick Paul. Ryan has a 36 point pace in his last 87 NHL regular games. It's not like they would be replacing a guy they count on. Going out and signing a guy who makes close to what they are saving would be a mistake IMO.

avs can trade a Center for a winger

Soderberg and second 2018 nashville
Ryan + Formenton or Batherson

I would definitely do that from the Sens POV. The Buyout for Soderberg would cost less.

mouser

Business of Hockey
Jul 13, 2006
South Mountain
Buyout cost:
Year 1: Savings of $3,666,667
Year 2: Savings of $3,666,667
Year 3: Savings of $3,666,667
Year 4: Savings of $3,666,667
Year 5: Cost of $1,833,333
Year 6: Cost of $1,833,333
Year 7: Cost of $1,833,333
Year 8: Cost of $1,833,333

Melnyk would save over 3.500 million every year for the next 4. In years 5-8 he's likely a lot less worried about less than 2 million seeing as the team will either be more profitable (new arena) or he'll have sold it by then. Buying out Ryan saves him over 15.000 million overall. It actually makes sense to buy him out for a cheap owner.

You're not accounting for signing bonuses of $2m each season that are paid even if Ryan is bought out. Buying out Ryan saves $7.33m. ($8m in signing bonuses due, $22m in salary due, buyout removes 1/3rd of that $22m salary = $7.33m)

Then factor in you have to pay a player to replace Ryan's roster slot. Even if you get someone down around $1m/year on an ELC or journeyman, you're now spending $4m over the next four seasons for the replacement player, leaving your total savings by buying out Ryan at $7.33m - $4m = $3.33m.

Then consider what are the odds you can sign a $1m player that will outperform even a disappointing Ryan?

Reactions: Neiler and Jozay

Wondercarrot

By The Power of Canadian Tire Centre
Jul 2, 2002
Very true but I think they would simply promote someone cheap like Nick Paul. Ryan has a 36 point pace in his last 87 NHL regular games. It's not like they would be replacing a guy they count on. Going out and signing a guy who makes close to what they are saving would be a mistake IMO.

I would definitely do that from the Sens POV. The Buyout for Soderberg would cost less.

You would trade Formenton or Batherson to move Ryan?! They also pay to buy out soderberg??
lol
Nooooooo chance.

Bobby was dominant throughout the whole playoffs last year.
He struggles with injuries etc (well really just to his hands lol) but bobby Ryan's contract is liveable if they move Phaneufs at the end of the year or the deadline. IMO we have enough Dmen to lose him even though he's alright.

I'll take playoff bobby on my team no problem.

KevinRedkey

12/18/23 and beyond!
Jan 22, 2010
You're not accounting for signing bonuses of $2m each season that are paid even if Ryan is bought out. Buying out Ryan saves $7.33m. ($8m in signing bonuses due, $22m in salary due, buyout removes 1/3rd of that $22m salary = $7.33m)

Then factor in you have to pay a player to replace Ryan's roster slot. Even if you get someone down around $1m/year on an ELC or journeyman, you're now spending $4m over the next four seasons for the replacement player, leaving your total savings by buying out Ryan at $7.33m - $4m = $3.33m.

Then consider what are the odds you can sign a $1m player that will outperform even a disappointing Ryan?

Wasn't aware this was a thing. CapFriendly isnt clear on it.
If that's the case then yeah a buyout makes no sense.

You would trade Formenton or Batherson to move Ryan?! They also pay to buy out soderberg??
lol
Nooooooo chance.

Bobby was dominant throughout the whole playoffs last year.
He struggles with injuries etc (well really just to his hands lol) but bobby Ryan's contract is liveable if they move Phaneufs at the end of the year or the deadline. IMO we have enough Dmen to lose him even though he's alright.

I'll take playoff bobby on my team no problem.

Moving a 2nd or 4th round pick to go from buying out Ryan's contract, to buying out Soderberg's contract seems pretty reasonable. Neither Formenton or Batherson have done anything to make their stock go up (or down) and they are recent 2nd and 4th round picks. Seems like a no brainer unless the bonus thing is true

Last edited:

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad