Value of: Taking Bobby Ryan’s Contract

Setec Astronomy

Jun 15, 2012
It could possibly be the worst contract in the league. It’s absolutely brutal, and it’s not being paid by a team that prints money. Is it bad enough that Ottawa takes reasonably less in a deal for Karlsson, like he would ordinarily bring back a top four defenseman, two top prospects and a first, but if you took Ryan, you only have to give up the defenseman, one good prospect and a first if it’s Karlsson and Ryan?

Or does Ottawa just take a chance on trying to dump him for a meaningless return?

Patagonia

Keep Whining
Jan 6, 2017
The deal is absolutely brutal, not only is the Cap hit for $7.25M for 4.5 years, the salary + bonuses is the same. So the acquiring team will be paying for this contract at the same rate as the cap hit.

It's even worse for the Sens since they're nearly maxed at the Cap and Ryan has a limited 10 team NMC. So retention is not really the answer, the acquiring team is rich enough to absorb nearly the entire deal and needs to reach the cap floor. They're literally throwing money away just for futures.

Not sure if any team is willing to accept such a brutal contract.

Ryan (4.5 years @ $7.25M)
2020 - 1st (Lottery Protected)
White/Brown

For

Cap Dump (2.5 years @ $4M)

Shruggs Peterson

Mar 1, 2017
It could possibly be the worst contract in the league. It’s absolutely brutal, and it’s not being paid by a team that prints money. Is it bad enough that Ottawa takes reasonably less in a deal for Karlsson, like he would ordinarily bring back a top four defenseman, two top prospects and a first, but if you took Ryan, you only have to give up the defenseman, one good prospect and a first if it’s Karlsson and Ryan?

Or does Ottawa just take a chance on trying to dump him for a meaningless return?

I'm not getting this scenario at all. Are you proposing a hypothetical that Karlsson and Ryan be included in the same deal? That would never happen based off of what Ottawa would be looking for if Karlsson were ever traded. Futures/ prospects are the priority and not taking a lot of salary back in the deal.

Kcb12345

Jun 6, 2017
Ottawa wouldn't like what they have to give up for a team to take him. Would be a 1st++ and would have to include a really good young prospect.

Howie Hodge

Zombie Woof
Sep 16, 2017
Buffalo, NY
So the premise here is that Karlsson is the prize for taking Bobby Ryans contract off of Ottawa.

$7.5 million for Ryan, plus whatever Karlsson gets signed for is a sum I think is too hefty for any team to carry, unless Ottawa is taking some serious salary back.

OP; what would you be asking for to take Karlsson and Ryan off your hands?

Seanaconda

May 6, 2016
I'm not getting this scenario at all. Are you proposing a hypothetical that Karlsson and Ryan be included in the same deal? That would never happen based off of what Ottawa would be looking for if Karlsson were ever traded. Futures/ prospects are the priority and not taking a lot of salary back in the deal.
I could see them taking back cap with less term . Does anyone have enough cap to not send back money ?

50 in 07

Feb 10, 2016
Ottawa isn't trading Ryan, and they certainly aren't trading a 1st+ or any of their top prospects to get rid of him. The entire premise of this thread is nonsensical.

At this point they keep him, hope he can be a ~50 point 2RW, and accept that he is 1.5-2M overpaid. He was good in the playoffs, he's shown flashes of being really good, he's had some bad luck with finger injuries. It is what it is, a terrible contract for an OK player who has more value to Ottawa than another team.

As for trading Karlsson+Ryan in the same deal, that's ludicrous because (a) what team can fit 7M + Karlsson's new deal of ~10-12M, and (b) Ottawa would want to maximize their return in any Karlsson trade which means not including a cap dump.

solidprospect

Borveetzky
Sep 30, 2017
Will have to wait and see if Duchene and Ryan can develop some chemistry in order to get his value up. He's injury prone too, so staying healthy won't be easy.

He also has a no trade caluse, list of 10 teams he can't be traded to.

Last edited:

Shruggs Peterson

Mar 1, 2017
I could see them taking back cap with less term . Does anyone have enough cap to not send back money ?

It would be ridiculous to package Ryan and Karlsson to the same team. The Sens would be shooting themselves in the foot.

They certainly are not going to use picks/top prospects to dump him to another team so it means he's not going to be traded.

Vincenzo Arelliti

He Can't Play Center
Oct 13, 2014
Lisle, IL
If moving Ryan allows you sign Karlsson when you otherwise wouldn't, then you find a way to move him. It's not like he's a useless player - putting him on a team that needs to reach the cap floor shouldn't be more difficult than moving albatrosses in the past. The term hurts (he's not Datsyuk), but he's also not Datsyuk in that you actually get to ice him (when he's healthy). If the Sens can wait until the end of next season, they can move him with only 3 years remaining on the contract to whatever team is looking to be rebuilding for 2 years.

terrible dee

Oct 1, 2017
Louis Eriksson for Bobby Ryan

Both guys and deals suck in different ways but ˆ could see Bobby getting back on track w/ the Sedins, and Louis's style is total Boucher

Reactions: Brock Radunske

terrible dee

Oct 1, 2017
Will have to wait and see if Duchene and Ryan can develop some chemistry in order to get his value up. He's injury prone too, so staying healthy won't be easy.

He also has a no trade caluse, list of 10 teams he can't be traded to.

Duchane sucks,

I told you guys that waaaaay before the trade, that any team getting him was going to be really sorry

And what do you know?

He's not a center for starters, he has ZERO clue as to how to play that position

Dazed and Confused

Ludicrous speed, GO!
Aug 10, 2007
Berlin, Germany
Louis Eriksson for Bobby Ryan

Both guys and deals suck in different ways but ˆ could see Bobby getting back on track w/ the Sedins, and Louis's style is total Boucher

That's about the best case scenario (or either VAN or OTT). Ottawa gains a little cap space, and a guy that could fit their system better. Vancouver gets out of a few years and picks up the player with the higher upside.

Lunatik

Oct 12, 2012
I think the only way Ryan is moved would be if salary was retained and I doubt Melnyk would go for that.

Dominicr

Nov 23, 2017
Ottawa willing to eat any of the Ryan contract? That might help him get traded. At 5-5.5 per id take him on the blues. At 7.5 per I want nothing to do with him.

We had to give Philly a first to eat lehtera at 4.75 so for someone eating Ryan at 7.5 is going to cost more than a first rounder.

tony d

Jun 23, 2007
Behind A Tree
That Ryan contract is a huge albatross for the Sens. He's a decent enough player but not at 7.5 million per. Also don't see any team taking on that contract either.

Setec Astronomy

Jun 15, 2012
So the premise here is that Karlsson is the prize for taking Bobby Ryans contract off of Ottawa.

$7.5 million for Ryan, plus whatever Karlsson gets signed for is a sum I think is too hefty for any team to carry, unless Ottawa is taking some serious salary back.

OP; what would you be asking for to take Karlsson and Ryan off your hands?

You’d still be trading a lot but less than if it were just Karlsson.

Setec Astronomy

Jun 15, 2012
Ottawa isn't trading Ryan, and they certainly aren't trading a 1st+ or any of their top prospects to get rid of him. The entire premise of this thread is nonsensical.

At this point they keep him, hope he can be a ~50 point 2RW, and accept that he is 1.5-2M overpaid. He was good in the playoffs, he's shown flashes of being really good, he's had some bad luck with finger injuries. It is what it is, a terrible contract for an OK player who has more value to Ottawa than another team.

As for trading Karlsson+Ryan in the same deal, that's ludicrous because (a) what team can fit 7M + Karlsson's new deal of ~10-12M, and (b) Ottawa would want to maximize their return in any Karlsson trade which means not including a cap dump.

I haven't crunched the numbers in detail, but I think the Devils are one team that could pull it off. They have a ton of cap space right now, and it seems like the only player that will be in line for a huge pay increase will be Nico and probably Bratt. At the same time, pricier players will be coming off the books fairly soon, one big example being Andy Greene. You have to re-sign Hall, but I don't think his AAV will increase that dramatically over what he's getting paid now. Based on second hand information I have, Hall is very happy playing in Jersey -- and actually said as much to Shero before the season started when everyone thought the team still wouldn't be any good. So it's quite possible Hall takes something of a home town discount AAV-wise on his extension so the Devils can afford to sign other players, especially if we're talking about someone like Karlsson. Also, Ryan would likely waive his NTC to come to Jersey since he's from the area originally.

So the pitch is that this is an opportunity for Ottawa to relieve itself of Ryan's contract, and you won't have the bad optics of pretty much giving up a lot to do it. So the deal would be Ryan and Karlsson for a top four young controllable defenseman, an A-prospect and a first round pick not lottery protected. Without Ryan involved, it's two A-prospects instead of one.

mashedpotato

full stack.
Jan 10, 2012
He was in a perfect place in Anaheim; He needs a strong centre to haul the puck into the zone and put it on a tee.

He's not a bad player - he's reasonably skilled - he's just miscast in his role as the principle focus during puck movement.

Hostile Offer

Artist formerly known as Eagle Peninsula
Jun 17, 2017
Finland
Ryan for a cap dump having less than two years left on his contract might be what Ottawa should be looking for. Any candidates?

Number1RedWingsFan52

Mar 17, 2013
Winter Haven Florida
That Ryan contract is a huge albatross for the Sens. He's a decent enough player but not at 7.5 million per. Also don't see any team taking on that contract either.
Yup at least not without Dorion having to eat $2 million or $3 million of Ryans salary. And like the other poster said Melnyk probably doesn't want to do it.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad