Taking a look back at over 30 years worth of Habs prospect top 10 lists

Chili

En boca cerrada no entran moscas
Jun 10, 2004
Can someone pull out the 2011 edition.....like to see what the previous regime left Bergevin in the prospect pool
Did you mean the Feb 2012 list? (i.e. Bergevin only became GM after that in May)

Anyway, here's 2011 and 2012

Feb 2011
Leblanc
Tinordi
Kristo
Avtsin
Bournival
RWhite
Palushaj
Nattinen
MMacMillan
Gallager

Feb 2012
Beaulieu
Leblanc
Tinordi
Gallagher
Palushaj
Bournival
Enqvist
Avtsin
Kristo
PHolland

Chili

Jun 10, 2004
Anybody know if this year's edition is on shelves yet? Also, who wrote ours?

Check their website.

It's not on there yet, but seems like it is due soon and will be indicated on their main page near the bottom.

Chili

Jun 10, 2004
2017 THN FW Habs top ten

1. Mikael Sergachev
2. Noah Juulsen
2. Michael McCarron
4. Nikita Scherbak
5. Jacob De La Rose
6. Zach Fucale
7. Charles Hudon
8. Michael McNiven
9. Will Bitten
10 Victor Mete

Ranked 24th of 30 teams

habaholic

Feb 27, 2002
Visit site
2017 THN FW Habs top ten

1. Mikael Sergachev
2. Noah Juulsen
2. Michael McCarron
4. Nikita Scherbak
5. Jacob De La Rose
6. Zach Fucale
7. Charles Hudon
8. Michael McNiven
9. Will Bitten
10 Victor Mete

Ranked 24th of 30 teams

The fact that they don't have Lindgren on that list, let alone have Fucale ahead of him (at this point), tells you all you need to know about the research they put into this.

Rockomax

Jan 16, 2007
Mtl
2017 THN FW Habs top ten

1. Mikael Sergachev
2. Noah Juulsen
2. Michael McCarron
4. Nikita Scherbak
5. Jacob De La Rose
6. Zach Fucale
7. Charles Hudon
8. Michael McNiven
9. Will Bitten
10 Victor Mete

Ranked 24th of 30 teams

Which is probably accurate. I'd have Hudon higher though, especially with Fuacale at #6.

Captain Mountain

Formerly Captain Wolverine
Jun 6, 2010
2017 THN FW Habs top ten

1. Mikael Sergachev
2. Noah Juulsen
2. Michael McCarron
4. Nikita Scherbak
5. Jacob De La Rose
6. Zach Fucale
7. Charles Hudon
8. Michael McNiven
9. Will Bitten
10 Victor Mete

Ranked 24th of 30 teams

I don't know if I'd go that low, but its been a lean few years from Montreal. Then again, that list is totally out of wack. Its well past time for an organizational audit of the amateur scouting and development departments. Although the 2016 draft class looks solid with Sergachev and Mete.

Chili

Jun 10, 2004
The fact that they don't have Lindgren on that list, let alone have Fucale ahead of him (at this point), tells you all you need to know about the research they put into this.

That was the name that stuck out for me too.

Just reading the rankings explanation here...

'These 10 have the best upside long term-five to ten years out'.

I don't know if I'd go that low, but its been a lean few years from Montreal. Then again, that list is totally out of wack. Its well past time for an organizational audit of the amateur scouting and development departments. Although the 2016 draft class looks solid with Sergachev and Mete.
according to the magazine 'a panel of scouts' grade each team's top ten list (Habs was C+).

The scary part is that all the teams in their division are ranked ahead of them. Only Detroit wasn't ranked highly (19th).

Of course it's just opinions, it's up to the kids to live up to the hype or prove people wrong.

Last edited by a moderator:

Captain Mountain

Formerly Captain Wolverine
Jun 6, 2010
according to the magazine 'a panel of scouts' grade each team's top ten list (Habs was C+).

The scary part is that all the teams in their division are ranked ahead of them. Only Detroit wasn't ranked highly (19th).

Of course it's just opinions, it's up to the kids to live up to the hype or prove people wrong.

Well, under Hunter Toronto has completely replenished their pipeline. It also helps that most teams in the division have had serious poor runs that have helped replenish their systems. That said, the team's general love affair with character and fitness isn't helping them.

Chili

Jun 10, 2004
Well, under Hunter Toronto has completely replenished their pipeline. It also helps that most teams in the division have had serious poor runs that have helped replenish their systems. That said, the team's general love affair with character and fitness isn't helping them.

Leafs drafting was poor for many years so they made some changes and it's yielded better results.

Bruins didn't draft well for years either. Their hopes are with their last few drafts.

Tampa had 5 players on the Canadian world junior team and only one was a first rounder (Brett Howden 2016 27th).

Sens drafted very well for several years, finding good prospects all over the draft.

Florida has a nice young core, definitely built with high picks but their prospects beyond that were rated well above the Habs (5th in the league).

Similar for the Sabres (ranked 7th)

Wings have been drafting later for many years but still come up with good prospects.

The Habs need a couple of good drafts soon in my opinion or they risk falling behind in the division at some point.

Stoneburg

Mar 21, 2004
Fishing
I may be seriously wrong, but I figure that 4 - 5 guys on that list make the NHL, which to me is not bad, IMHO. Look at the list from 2012, 2 made it.

Of course the teams in our division are ranked higher, they picked higher!

Chili

Jun 10, 2004
I pulled out the 2012 lists and that's right, just Beaulieu and Gallagher in the NHL (I believe Bournival is back in the AHL?).

Only one on the Leafs list in the NHL (Colborne).

Some of the others though...

Tampa - 8 of 10 in the NHL, only one of the 8 was a first rounder

Ottawa 9 of 10 in the NHL, 3 of which were 1st rounders, only 1 in the top 20

Wings - All 10 of their list are in the NHL as I write this. (only 2 were 1st's, neither top 20).

Fish on The Sand

Untouchable
Feb 28, 2002
Canada
Le Gros Boeuf de l'Ouest... that's what happened. :laugh:

Joking aside, there was this obsession about size back then. Much worse than today. Habs were always drafting big guys, thinking, like many others, that 'size can't be taught'.

That was the Lindros effect. GMs basically all went mental trying to find the next Lindros so you saw bums like Chad Kilger as lottery picks.

montreal

Go Habs Go
Mar 21, 2002
www.youtube.com
Is there any chance Jacob De La Rose could be a decent player, or is he a lifetime minor league player only?

yes he could still become a decent player, he's only 21 and 64 NHL games under his belt. If CJ wants bigger players, it bodes well for DLR since he's got size and plays excellent defensive hockey. We'll see what happens to him next year at camp, I could see him making the team as 4th liner or spare forward that excels on the PK.

Lshap

Hardline Moderate
Jun 6, 2011
Montreal
yes he could still become a decent player, he's only 21 and 64 NHL games under his belt. If CJ wants bigger players, it bodes well for DLR since he's got size and plays excellent defensive hockey. We'll see what happens to him next year at camp, I could see him making the team as 4th liner or spare forward that excels on the PK.

How far do you see his offensive game developing? That's the obvious limiting factor with de la Rose, and I admit I don't see any flashes of potential from him in that area. I'd imagine 64 games is enough to at least catch a glimpse of a player's upside, and all I've seen is a responsible backchecker who looks lost the moment he crosses into the o-zone.

That said, I don't pretend to have any deep scouting insights. Is there an offensive IQ buried under his youth and lack of confidence?

montreal

Go Habs Go
Mar 21, 2002
www.youtube.com
How far do you see his offensive game developing? That's the obvious limiting factor with de la Rose, and I admit I don't see any flashes of potential from him in that area. I'd imagine 64 games is enough to at least catch a glimpse of a player's upside, and all I've seen is a responsible backchecker who looks lost the moment he crosses into the o-zone.

That said, I don't pretend to have any deep scouting insights. Is there an offensive IQ buried under his youth and lack of confidence?

it's hard to say with him. The past 2 years he's started very slowly, then just as he started putting together some games where he was showing some offense/producing, he would either get called up or injured. So there have been flashes for sure, just like right now as he's got 6 goals in his last 7 games after having only 1 all year in 38 games. To date he's put up 45 pts in 116 AHL games (.39 ppg) so that's not very impressive but if you took out the slow starts it would look much better of course. And the yo-yoing along with injuries hasn't helped. But he's still only 21 and has the size plus defensive game that CJ appears to like/want so that should help him next year.

I have wondered if he could be something like another Hab draft pick that was mainly a defensive forward in Kyle Chipchura. Maybe a better PKer but not sure if he can put up the 14 or so pts a year or not as it's hard to get a good read on him.

LaP

Jun 27, 2012
Quebec City, Canada
Kostitsyn was a great pick, you rarely ever see anyone whining about it anymore. Not sure why'd you bring this back.

And looking back at the 2003 first round, most of the players aren't even relevant anymore. Most of them turned out to be average NHL players at best.

Its legendary status didn't live up to expectations.

What?

List of players drafted in the 1st round of 2003 after AK

Jeff Carter 30 goals 56 points
Brent Seabrook 33 points +3
Parise 15 goals 29 points in 51 games
Getzlaf 11 goals 49 points
Burns one of the best season ever by a dman ion the history of the league
Kesler 19 goals 47 points
Perry 11 goals 42 points
Eaves 23 goals 39 points

le_sean

Oct 21, 2006

24th is pretty accurate. The Habs prospect pool is not very good. Three good defence prospects, three good goalie prospects and a bunch of nobodies at FWD.

Obviously people will be up in arms about what I said in regards to forwards, but come on. McCarron looks like a 4th liner and Scherbak, until he can get strength, speed and consistency, is a project. Hudon is a 2nd liner at best with concerns about footspeed and durability. Not very good.

Rockomax

Jan 16, 2007
Mtl
Mete is our #2, at worst #3 prospect.

So you'd rank Sergachev, then Juulsen/Mete as the first 3 spots?

We really need to start picking forwards that will eventually contribute offensively. I mean, McCarron is ok, but will probably become a 20/25 points fwd. Scherbak, I don't really kno what to think of him. Hudon I'm curious to see. All in all we are certainly lacking offensively gifted forward prospects in the farm.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad