9. Jake Evans
10 Cayden Primeau

Ranked 28th of 31 teams

Sounds about right.:(

Fish on The Sand

Untouchable
Feb 28, 2002
Canada
Did you mean the Feb 2012 list? (i.e. Bergevin only became GM after that in May)

Anyway, here's 2011 and 2012

Feb 2011
Leblanc
Tinordi
Kristo
Avtsin
Bournival
RWhite
Palushaj
Nattinen
MMacMillan
Gallager

Feb 2012
Beaulieu
Leblanc
Tinordi
Gallagher
Palushaj
Bournival
Enqvist
Avtsin
Kristo
PHolland

Those lists look awful but don't account for recently graduated players like Price, Pacioretty, and Subban. A prospect ranking will always look bare in the immediate aftermath of graduations to the NHL. I suppose you could argue that price wasn't a recent graduation for those lists, but Subban and Pacioretty certainly were.

Edit: I should add that I understand why they do not include players they consider to have graduated, however looking at a list of prospects to determine the health of a team at any given moment and excluding recently graduated prospects is an irresponsible exercise.

Last edited:

Chili

En boca cerrada no entran moscas
Jun 10, 2004
Those lists look awful but don't account for recently graduated players like Price, Pacioretty, and Subban. A prospect ranking will always look bare in the immediate aftermath of graduations to the NHL. I suppose you could argue that price wasn't a recent graduation for those lists, but Subban and Pacioretty certainly were.

Edit: I should add that I understand why they do not include players they consider to have graduated, however looking at a list of prospects to determine the health of a team at any given moment and excluding recently graduated prospects is an irresponsible exercise.
Actually, they do also list the 21 and under NHLers separately for each team with the lists and they are included in the rankings of all teams. The lists are just the non NHLers.

So for the Habs 2018 List ADD Victor Mete. (List posted at the link just above).

David Suzuki

Aug 25, 2010
New Brunswick
Hot off the press...

2018 THN FW Habs top ten

1. Ryan Poehling
2. Nikita Scherbak
3. Noah Juulsen
4. Charlie Lindgren
5. Josh Brook
6. Joni Ikonen
7. Michael McNiven
8. Michael McCarron
9. Jake Evans
10 Cayden Primeau

Ranked 28th of 31 teams

Not terrible but in desperate need of elite talent. Would look very good with Sergachev 1, Zadina 2.

CHfan1

Apr 23, 2012
Hot off the press...

2018 THN FW Habs top ten

1. Ryan Poehling - 37th overall
2. Nikita Scherbak - 63rd overall
3. Noah Juulsen - 71st overall
4. Charlie Lindgren
5. Josh Brook
6. Joni Ikonen
7. Michael McNiven
8. Michael McCarron
9. Jake Evans
10 Cayden Primeau

Ranked 28th of 31 teams

3 players in the top 100 overall, see above for rankings.

The Habs two biggest rivals - Toronto is 1st, Boston is 4th.

Habs100

Nov 6, 2013
Hot off the press...

2018 THN FW Habs top ten

1. Ryan Poehling
2. Nikita Scherbak
3. Noah Juulsen
4. Charlie Lindgren
5. Josh Brook
6. Joni Ikonen
7. Michael McNiven
8. Michael McCarron
9. Jake Evans
10 Cayden Primeau

Ranked 28th of 31 teams

We just graduated two great prospects from 2017 draft, Sergachev and Mete, yet picks from 2014 are still allowed on these lists.

It's certainly not a list that should be used to evaluate drafting.

It's a list of all the players that haven't yet graduated/been taken from the cupboard. Although, I'd say Juulsen and Scherbak have graduated. Juulsen's carrying Alzner and Scherbak looks great whenever he's playing with offensive players (i.e. not Logan Shaw and DLR).

Chili

En boca cerrada no entran moscas
Jun 10, 2004
3 players in the top 100 overall, see above for rankings.

The Habs two biggest rivals - Toronto is 1st, Boston is 4th.
Tampa would have been higher then 13th as well (before the McDonagh trade).

Wings have a good organization, could see them bouncing back within a couple of years.

Could get tough to make the playoffs in the Habs division.

habsfan909

Feb 20, 2018
Not terrible!?
We are ranked 28th out of 31 teams.:help:
Yes but what you don't understand is if Price is on fire then we will make the playoffs where anything can happen. And if anything can happen, then we are guaranteed to make a run and win the cup!

mariolemieux66

Sep 17, 2008
Vancouver
I don't really know how fair that is. Seems largely irrelevant with how many picks we have anyway. We just need one or two good prospects from the upcoming draft on top of an elite prospect with our first pick and we easily jump to mid level.
Other teams have draft picks as well. We will need to hit every single pick this year.

David Suzuki

Aug 25, 2010
New Brunswick
Other teams have draft picks as well. We will need to hit every single pick this year.

every other team has as many picks as us? Seems illogical.

It's not a terrible base. If we can get 2 solid prospects with our second and with Chicago's and then an elite talent in the top 5 then we're alright.

1. Top 5 pick
2. Poehling
3. Scherbak
4. 2nd rounder
5. 2nd rounder

could be a solid base to build on especially with young players like Mete, Juulsen, Drouin and Galchenyuk still in the team.

mariolemieux66

Sep 17, 2008
Vancouver
every other team has as many picks as us? Seems illogical.

It's not a terrible base. If we can get 2 solid prospects with our second and with Chicago's and then an elite talent in the top 5 then we're alright.

1. Top 5 pick
2. Poehling
3. Scherbak
4. 2nd rounder
5. 2nd rounder

could be a solid base to build on especially with young players like Mete, Juulsen, Drouin and Galchenyuk still in the team.
We will need more than just one year of having multiple picks in the top 100.
We will have to tank for at least 3 years and trade Pacioretty, Price, Weber, Byron for picks. Drafting 15th+ 8 times out of our last 10 drafts didnt help our prospects pool.

Last edited:

CHfan1

Apr 23, 2012
I don't really know how fair that is. Seems largely irrelevant with how many picks we have anyway. We just need one or two good prospects from the upcoming draft on top of an elite prospect with our first pick and we easily jump to mid level.

I’m not sure how the prospect pool being horrible right now is irrelevant. This is supposed to be the future core of the team. The young, fast, character players that bring the future Habs to contender status.

And 5 picks in the top 60 doesn’t guarantee they’ll end up picking prospects they can develop into top 6 or top 4 game changing players.

In 2013 they had 5 picks in the top 71 and this is who they picked:

McCarron
DLR
Fucale
Lehkonen
Crisp

Granted their first pick in 2018 should be a top 10 pick where they should get elite top end talent.

Maitz

Aug 3, 2006
Montreal
2008 is the best prospect list ever for us but what in world would justify De La Rose #1 in 2015??

Bacchus1

Fill the net!
Sep 10, 2007
Montreal
It will be interesting to see our prospects group after this year’s draft. With our cornecopia of pickadded to our current pool: Poehling is interesting, as are some othe picks. But, it does seem like the Bergevin picks have been slim on potential throughout the rounds.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad