GDT: Sweden Vs USA | 12/31 @ 9:30PM ET | TSN/NHLN

bigdog16

Nov 7, 2013
USA
I don't buy the narrative of 18 year old kids, in peak condition, needing rest. I'm not aware of any injuries that would have healed significantly with an additional day of rest.
It's just an excuse.
US did outplay the Swedes. Was it by a 4-0 margin? Probably not, but they got some puck luck and Sweden couldn't finish.

I mean this is just a rediculous claim. An extra day of rest on the legs is massive in a short tournament like this. Being able to have the day off to rid your legs of any lactic acid is huge. Nobody recovers from any real injuries in a day, but a stiff neck isnt as stiff after 2 days, a charley horse loosens up more, swelling in any nagging injuries will go down...Any hockey player out there would understand

PatrikBerglund

May 29, 2017
What? Sweden has more first round picks just from last draft than Finland has all together, shit they have more top 10 picks than Finland has first round picks. Sweden also has more SHL players than they usually do, far from garbage team

Several leading players didn't make it to the tournament, due to getting Covid.

We are weak.

canswetoxic

Dec 29, 2015
Toronto
Several leading players didn't make it to the tournament, due to getting Covid.

We are weak.

Clueless coach, no team member and the doc was appointed coach assistant.
Holtz and Raymond need Henriksson, and more consistent centre, which doesn't make it.
Weakest team for ages, basically an U18 team.
Does not have high expectation on this team.

Reactions: PatrikBerglund

Dakota Sioux

Wild Time
Aug 19, 2005
JAMESTOWN,ND
Knight is back being the number one goalie in the tourney. When the boys got sloppy in their own end he was there to bail them out. He’s going to have to be that good the rest of the way if they want a chance for Gold

swedehollow

Aug 15, 2018
Two ridiculously flukey goals against to start the game certainly didn't help. If it mattered more, I'm sure Sweden would have pushed back harder. No biggy.

Dakota Sioux

Wild Time
Aug 19, 2005
JAMESTOWN,ND
Two ridiculously flukey goals against to start the game certainly didn't help. If it mattered more, I'm sure Sweden would have pushed back harder. No biggy.
Pucks to the net. Anything can happen bud. It’s the World Juniors with many scouts watching. Why wouldn’t they push back?

ORRFForever

Oct 29, 2018
I won't watch because it will likely be a blowout, and an extra hour isn't much, by why is the American game on so late?

Pavel Buchnevich

Drury and Laviolette Must Go
Dec 8, 2013
New York
I don't know how much he has. I think the 2019 class tends to get a bit overrated because people conflate the fact that it's a great class for Americans with the idea that it's a great class.

Why would that inflate the class? Most of the hockey media in NA is Canadian. We are well beyond the point where the hockey media tries to pump up American hockey. USA is one of the powers in the sport. Thats just a fact. They are at least on the level with Finland/Russia/Sweden. It doesn't need any inflating, and you certainly don't see it any more than you normally do with other countries.

Pavel Buchnevich

Dec 8, 2013
New York
Colangelo and kaliyev should switch PP lines. Gets a RH one timer threat on PP1 and can make kaliyev the focal point of PP2.

I hope you're joking. Colangelo doesn't even belong on PP2. He's lucky he's on the team. He shouldn't be playing any important role.

Pavel Buchnevich

Dec 8, 2013
New York
I hate when Knight tries to play the puck....

I get why people don't like it because his puck-handling leads to an occasional scoring chance, but if you watch closely, he kills so many forechecking opportunities for the other team because forecheckers know that he can hold the puck, and move to to the next option. You can jump passing lanes when a goalie who doesn't handle it well has the puck because you know what they are going to do with the puck is limited. With a goalie like Knight, the forecheckers have to respect his ability with the puck, and can't forecheck as hard.

violaswallet

Apr 8, 2019
I get why people don't like it because his puck-handling leads to an occasional scoring chance, but if you watch closely, he kills so many forechecking opportunities for the other team because forecheckers know that he can hold the puck, and move to to the next option. You can jump passing lanes when a goalie who doesn't handle it well has the puck because you know what they are going to do with the puck is limited. With a goalie like Knight, the forecheckers have to respect his ability with the puck, and can't forecheck as hard.
He needs to learn a bit more at a higher level: I don’t think he is used to the skill of say the Russians or Canadians. Hopefully sometime in the AHL in the next two seasons and the Panthers’ Goaltender Excellence Initiative helps him!

Pavel Buchnevich

Dec 8, 2013
New York
Couldn't catch who it is but #22 on the states is driving me nutso with his concrete feet when he doesn't have the puck. Perhaps I'm still indoctrinated from having 'move your feet' screamed at me for so long but seeing him puck watching so much and not moving is irking me lol

#22 is Colagenlo. He's raw in his approach to the game. I wouldn't expect that much yet.

Pavel Buchnevich

Dec 8, 2013
New York
You know what I just thought about that kind of blew my mind even though it’s at best tangentially related to anything...

this is the first world juniors Rasmus Dahlin wouldn’t have been eligible to play in.

he didn’t play in the last two because he was busy moving into second all time on points for a teenage Dman in the NHL...but he was defenseman of the tournament THREE YEARS AGO WITH TWO YEARS OF ELIGIBILITY LEFT.

Holy crap

But he didn't play in the playoffs, so he's obviously not the generational defensemen that Heiskanen, Makar, and Hughes are.

Bedards Dad

I was in the pool!!
Nov 3, 2011
Toronto
I don't buy the narrative of 18 year old kids, in peak condition, needing rest. I'm not aware of any injuries that would have healed significantly with an additional day of rest.
It's just an excuse.
US did outplay the Swedes. Was it by a 4-0 margin? Probably not, but they got some puck luck and Sweden couldn't finish.

When did biology become a narrative?

Pavel Buchnevich

Dec 8, 2013
New York
Yeah. And he was very good in his first game, too. No idea why they even went back to Alnefelt. Wallstedt is just better. Big guy moving very well. Huge talent.

Wallstedt wasn't great against Russia. I was saying that if Alnefelt played against Russia, they probably would win.

I think Sweden has two good goalies, and its sensible to go with the guy that played well at this tournament last year and has done better in the SHL.

Static

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 28, 2006
SoCal
Kaliyev was on the team last year, and has been great for a few years as a PP guy in the OHL. Colangelo was a project pick in the second round this past year. Kaliyev has earned some of a leash.
I don't care about pedigree, just what they are doing right now. Featuring kaliyev on PP2 in a one timer position is the point of moving them. The left side forward is being completely ignored on PP1, rather that be a RH shot forward like colangelo who is being wasted.

Moving colangelo from PP2 to PP1 is not some earth shattering move you're making it out to be.

Pavel Buchnevich

Dec 8, 2013
New York
I don't care about pedigree, just what they are doing right now. Featuring kaliyev on PP2 in a one timer position is the point of moving them. The left side forward is being completely ignored on PP1, rather that be a RH shot forward like colangelo who is being wasted.

Moving colangelo from PP2 to PP1 is not some earth shattering move you're making it out to be.

You can move Caufield to that spot and move Turcotte or Brisson up or you can promote Brink. Colangelo on PP1 makes no sense.

Static

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 28, 2006
SoCal
You can move Caufield to that spot and move Turcotte or Brisson up or you can promote Brink. Colangelo on PP1 makes no sense.
It does if that's the player who is going to be ignored. I should have just stopped when it was clear you didn't like the idea.

Prntscrn

Sep 29, 2011
Sweden
Wallstedt wasn't great against Russia. I was saying that if Alnefelt played against Russia, they probably would win.

I think Sweden has two good goalies, and its sensible to go with the guy that played well at this tournament last year and has done better in the SHL.

We don't have a goalie that fits this description since Wallstedt has done better in the SHL. Alnefelt was great last year, and up until last game had been great, but imo it's Wallstedt's position to lose now.

Hinterland

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Sep 29, 2016

I disagree. He was excellent.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad