GDT: Sweden Vs USA | 12/31 @ 9:30PM ET | TSN/NHLN

NyQuil

Big F$&*in Q
Jan 5, 2005
Ottawa, ON
Sweden and Finland would've prob lost regardless so I'm not trying to make an excuse, but I hate the fact they set up the important games of the groups in a way where the other team had to play in the previous day. The teams who already have NA rink advantages get to rest. Maybe if that wasn't the case the games could've been more exciting.

It's possible.

Reactions: CanadaIsIrrelevant

ORRFForever

Oct 29, 2018
Sweden and Finland would've prob lost regardless so I'm not trying to make any excuses, but I hate the fact they set up the important and final games of the groups in a way where the other team had to play in the previous day. The teams who already have NA rink advantages get to rest. Maybe if that wasn't the case the games could've been more exciting.
That's true. Russia/Sweden, Sweden/U.S., back to back, certainly wasn't fair to Sweden.

ORRFForever

Oct 29, 2018
Yeah it was worse for Sweden than for Finland. Finland's steamrolling over Slovakia was a quite easy day but easier for Canada when they had a full rest day, but what ever. Let's hope for better playoff games.
True.

Hinterland

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Sep 29, 2016
Tour de ski starts tomorrow. Maybe juniorkronorna will have to take the passenger seat and let Frida and Ebba take over the show in Sweden. But judging by your alias it might not be your cup of tea :laugh:

It's mine though. And without the Norwegians, our Swiss guys might actually not be quite as far behind as they usually are:laugh:

Mattb124

Apr 29, 2011
Interesting game. Shot count was close through 2 periods and the US was up 4-0, but while the US pulled away in SOG in the 3rd that is when Sweden looked most dangerous (US played bend but don't break defense).

Hinterland

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Sep 29, 2016
Well, one game does not define a player. Just look at Knight. Alnefelt has been great in all games last year and this year except for this one. He won't have two bad games in a row.

I disagree with this. The stats may talk a different language but in my view, and Ray Ferraro agrees with me, Wallstedt was far than Alnefelt in the one game he started. Ferraro said he'd have started Wallstedt yesterday and I'd have done just the same. Yesterday, Wallstedt was clearly better again. At the end of the day, Wallstedt is just the better goalie. Finland has a similar problem though. In my view, Blomqvist is their best goalie but he he hasn't played a single minute despite the other two mostly not looking good. It was enough for the weaker competition but against Sweden, both Piiroinen and Taponen could be a problem for them.

Last edited:

Dala

Mar 1, 2006
Should go with Clang in goal. Wouldn't surprise me if he ends up the better goalie of the three. Alnefelt the worst of them from the little I've seen. :popcorn:

Broberg shouldn't be playing, been terrible the entire tournament due to injury. Skating behind the net with head down. Easy to read going to the net on pp from blue line. Will result in SH goals against playing Canada or Russia. His hockey IQ seems pretty low or is that affected by injury too?

Split up Holtz and Raymond. Let players know it is OK to make a hit once every third game or so. :help:

JAS 39 Gripen

Jun 26, 2011
Stockholm
What other kind of WC like this have games played back-to-back? I really felt for Germany when they had to play with without 6(?) players against Canada without any rest, and now Sweden had to go up against the US after getting no rest after a tough game vs OAR. I know it’s been like this for some time, but the Germany-Canada game really shed some more light on this.

I still think US would’ve won vs Sweden, but it was so obvious SWE couldn’t move tonight.

OKR

Nov 18, 2015
Sweden has a garbage team this time around.

Too many Covidees pre tourny.

Can't match up to the big three, and probably not even Finland.
What? Sweden has more first round picks just from last draft than Finland has all together, shit they have more top 10 picks than Finland has first round picks. Sweden also has more SHL players than they usually do, far from garbage team

Bedards Dad

I was in the pool!!
Nov 3, 2011
Toronto
What other kind of WC like this have games played back-to-back? I really felt for Germany when they had to play with without 6(?) players against Canada without any rest, and now Sweden had to go up against the US after getting no rest after a tough game vs OAR. I know it’s been like this for some time, but the Germany-Canada game really shed some more light on this.

I still think US would’ve won vs Sweden, but it was so obvious SWE couldn’t move tonight.

Germany has the choice to delay the game and chose not to. It was more important to rest/get players back for games they could win. The Can-Ger game was decided before the team's landed in Edmonton.

Jersey Fan 12

Positive Vibes
Nov 20, 2006
What? Sweden has more first round picks just from last draft than Finland has all together, shit they have more top 10 picks than Finland has first round picks. Sweden also has more SHL players than they usually do, far from garbage team

Tend to dismiss anyone who refers to teams as "garbage", but in the case of @PatrikBerglund that is especially of the mark. A loss to the US after an emotional overtime loss the night before - particularly when they dominated stretches of the play - is hardly an indicator of a weak team.

Sweden is one of four teams that it wouldn't shock me to see win the tournament.

PTmbp13

Jan 21, 2007
Unlucky for Sweden that their two toughest group games are the back-to-back games. It'll be a tough ask to beat a rested USA team.
I dont think Sweden are a threst any way. I mean half the staff and several key players are out. Then they was in very long quarantine so no big splash

The S5

Jul 27, 2017
I don't buy the narrative of 18 year old kids, in peak condition, needing rest. I'm not aware of any injuries that would have healed significantly with an additional day of rest.
It's just an excuse.
US did outplay the Swedes. Was it by a 4-0 margin? Probably not, but they got some puck luck and Sweden couldn't finish.

SwedeChristoffer

Jul 30, 2019
I don't buy the narrative of 18 year old kids, in peak condition, needing rest. I'm not aware of any injuries that would have healed significantly with an additional day of rest.
It's just an excuse.
US did outplay the Swedes. Was it by a 4-0 margin? Probably not, but they got some puck luck and Sweden couldn't finish.

I think the fatigue is more mental than physical. The game vs the russians wasn't only draining physically, but also mentally. When were they able to fall asleep? Were they able to shake off the loss and refocus on the US game?

As have been stated by others, they probably would have lost anyway, but their focus (and ability to make the correct decision) would probably have increased with a day to think about something else.

The S5

Jul 27, 2017
I think the fatigue is more mental than physical. The game vs the russians wasn't only draining physically, but also mentally. When were they able to fall asleep? Were they able to shake off the loss and refocus on the US game?

As have been stated by others, they probably would have lost anyway, but their focus (and ability to make the correct decision) would probably have increased with a day to think about something else.

You could just as easily make the counter argument. One less day to dwell on a loss. Jump right back on the horse.
There are so many factors that could be the reason for the Swedes subpar play, the main one being that they aren't as good as the teams that beat them. Being tired, mentally or physically is just an excuse.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad