GDT: Sweden Vs USA | 12/31 @ 9:30PM ET | TSN/NHLN

swedehollow

Aug 15, 2018
Pucks to the net. Anything can happen bud. It’s the World Juniors with many scouts watching. Why wouldn’t they push back?
I would call it luck when a player is just throwing the puck to the net and it goes in. If it was a more meaningful game, of course they would have tried harder.

And the regarding the scouts, I would guess your'e talking the draft? The importance of the draft is overrated. Why would a players so darn much want to be drafted by the worst team in the league? I get it, it's fun to be picked high. But it hardly mean anything for the players career.

Pavel Buchnevich

Drury and Laviolette Must Go
Dec 8, 2013
New York
We don't have a goalie that fits this description since Wallstedt has done better in the SHL. Alnefelt was great last year, and up until last game had been great, but imo it's Wallstedt's position to lose now.

Has Alnefelt not been pretty solid for two seasons as a SHL regular? Wallstedt maybe has been better this season, but you are still talking about a guy whose mostly a year behind Alnefelt in development. Look how Askarov struggled as a draft-eligible goalie last year. Knight didn't play well in his 18 year old year at this tournament either. I think especially with the goalie position if you have two good options it's better to go with the guy whose more proven.

Bounces R Way

Nov 18, 2013
Weegartown
Due to this one tournament or due to more than this tournament?

I didn't watch as much tape on this year's top 60 draftees as usual. Raymond I get has the skating and seems like a smart player. Too predictable and easy to keep to the perimeter so far in this tourney. Holtz I've never been as high on as others seem to be. For a supposed sniper he takes too long to get his shot off. Think I had him in the 13-18 range.

SwedeChristoffer

Jul 30, 2019
Has Alnefelt not been pretty solid for two seasons as a SHL regular? Wallstedt maybe has been better this season, but you are still talking about a guy whose mostly a year behind Alnefelt in development. Look how Askarov struggled as a draft-eligible goalie last year. Knight didn't play well in his 18 year old year at this tournament either. I think especially with the goalie position if you have two good options it's better to go with the guy whose more proven.

Yeah, I think, unless they see that Alnefelt looks bad during practices, that most coaches would trust their #1 goalie to bounce back and start Alnefelt against Finland. However they would have a much shorter leash and perhaps swap him after the first goal against (if it's a bad one).

That way you can always swap to Wallstedt if Alnefelt looks bad again, if you do the opposite you are going to have two broken goalies, and swapping to Alnefelt from Wallstedt will not give a morale boost.

As for your earlier comment regarding Wallstedt vs Russia, I agree, although he made some great saves, I also think he had a pretty bad rebound control.

Dakota Sioux

Wild Time
Aug 19, 2005
JAMESTOWN,ND
I would call it luck when a player is just throwing the puck to the net and it goes in. If it was a more meaningful game, of course they would have tried harder.

And the regarding the scouts, I would guess your'e talking the draft? The importance of the draft is overrated. Why would a players so darn much want to be drafted by the worst team in the league? I get it, it's fun to be picked high. But it hardly mean anything for the players career.
For one thing it’s called pride in oneself. Also pride for playing for your country
Oh and it’s called puck luck. You never know what can happen when pucks are on net. Perfect example last night. Go USA!!!

The S5

Jul 27, 2017
I mean this is just a rediculous claim. An extra day of rest on the legs is massive in a short tournament like this. Being able to have the day off to rid your legs of any lactic acid is huge. Nobody recovers from any real injuries in a day, but a stiff neck isnt as stiff after 2 days, a charley horse loosens up more, swelling in any nagging injuries will go down...Any hockey player out there would understand

Nice try. I was a hockey player. I would be fairly confident in saying that I played at a higher level than most.
These kids are like machines. Their nutrition, conditioning and access to trainers is light years ahead of anything from my playing days.
For them to play games back to back is a non-issue. Remember, there is no travel involved. Play game, get treatment if necessary, go back to hotel and rest. All while being 18 and an elite athlete.
Give me a break

swedehollow

Aug 15, 2018
For one thing it’s called pride in oneself. Also pride for playing for your country
Oh and it’s called puck luck. You never know what can happen when pucks are on net. Perfect example last night. Go USA!!!
Yeah, I much rather watch a tombola than skill players scoring skill goals... But of course your’e somewhat right. If you don’t shoot, you don’t score...

Reactions: Dakota Sioux

Bedards Dad

I was in the pool!!
Nov 3, 2011
Toronto
I would love to hear your expertise on the topic.

Wait, you don't believe the human body takes time to recover to 100% after strenuous activity? Even if it's only a 5-10% drop in performance, that's huge when playing a rested team.

The results from this study demonstrate that it takes approximately 48 hours after a match for an athlete to recover from a performance standpoint and up to 72 hours for certain biochemical markers to recover (e.g. CK). These findings are important because they demonstrate that although athletes can regain performance (e.g. CMJ and sprint speed) 48 hours after a match, it does not mean that athletes are fully recovered from a muscle damage standpoint, for example
How long does it take to fully recover after a competitive match? - Science for Sport.

But sure, rest and recovery is a narrative, not a fact...

It's ridiculous we are even having this discussion.

Last edited:
Reactions: TheJudge

bigdog16

Nov 7, 2013
USA
Nice try. I was a hockey player. I would be fairly confident in saying that I played at a higher level than most.
These kids are like machines. Their nutrition, conditioning and access to trainers is light years ahead of anything from my playing days.
For them to play games back to back is a non-issue. Remember, there is no travel involved. Play game, get treatment if necessary, go back to hotel and rest. All while being 18 and an elite athlete.
Give me a break

This is the worst take ever. Im not going to discredit how high of a level you played. But I played NCAA and second game of back to backs were an absolute battle regardless of the opponent. No amount of nutrition, conditioning, or access to trainers will revive your legs in 24 hours - its physically impossible.

Thats what steroids are for

The S5

Jul 27, 2017
This is the worst take ever. Im not going to discredit how high of a level you played. But I played NCAA and second game of back to backs were an absolute battle regardless of the opponent. No amount of nutrition, conditioning, or access to trainers will revive your legs in 24 hours - its physically impossible.

Thats what steroids are for

There are so many factors that would go into that equation. But, simply stating that an elite 18 year old athlete is physically incapable of performing at a high level on a back to back nights is simply wrong.
In any case, Sweden was an inferior team, regardless of playing back to back.

bigdog16

Nov 7, 2013
USA
There are so many factors that would go into that equation. But, simply stating that an elite 18 year old athlete is physically incapable of performing at a high level on a back to back nights is simply wrong.
In any case, Sweden was an inferior team, regardless of playing back to back.

Thats not what you were saying though, you said that 18 year olds dont need rest and it makes no difference. Which is flat out wrong

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad