GDT: Sweden-Latvia

IceHockeyDude

May 15, 2011
Suomi
Yeah taking away nothing from Latvia who were the better team and deserved the historical victory, this must be an embarasment for Sweden. I mean Finland lost for weak Canadian team but this is something else, yet still.

When it comes to Finland, well deserved win for Canada. I don't know what happened because Finland barely beat those which they did. We sucked this time but why, I don't know. Pitty for moose.

tade

Mar 6, 2013
Brno, Czech Republic
Wow!! LATVIJA! Absolutely terrific atmosphere, that was something else. Huge congrats Latvia!

Semifinal game against Canada should definitely be played in Riga. It's such a shame they have to move to Tampere.

7 players from Czech extraliga on this Latvian team!

Reactions: Kalv

TheMoreYouKnow

May 3, 2007
38° N 77° W
Sweden failed even when we actually where a top nation. We lost to finns in 1998 qf in og. belarus in 2002. crushed by czechs 6-1 in 2004 world cup. lost to frigging slovakia in 2010 qf, 2016 lost to mickey mouse team europe in semifinals, lost to germany in og 2018 qf etc. the list is long. no other big nation have this awful record as Sweden has with choking. But thats not the problem anymore, now its not chocking, we just suck.
Doesn't Sweden have more World Championships than any other country outside Canada (and the defunct Soviets)?

Yozhik v tumane

Jan 2, 2019
Ah, Luleå’s Dans Locmelis paved the way for his national team with his 1-0-goal of course. Screw college, stay with us, you’re going to become a superstar!

Congratulations Latvia!

ijuka

May 14, 2016
Going to Riga to play is honestly like stepping into hell itself and trying to out-fiddle the Devil. Best fans in the world.
Finland would have great fans as well, but unfortunately they were all prized out with ridiculous ticket costs, leaving us with only company suits like Onninen.

Elvs

Jul 3, 2006
Sweden
A lot of people underestimating Latvia. It wasn't a question if, but when, they would make the semifinals in this tournament. Congrats to them. Well deserved for Latvian fans, too.

Old Man Jags

Mar 25, 2006
Wow, what a surprise! I am so pleased for Latvia and their tremendous fans. I have absolutely nothing whatsoever against the Swedish team, I am just really pleased for the underdog. To get to the semis for the first time ever must be quite something for them. The Latvians have really been playing well. And they beat my Czech team as well - although who hasn’t at this tournament?!

PuckMunchkin

Very Nice, Very Evil!
Dec 13, 2006
Lapland
So happy for Team Latvia.

Kind of wish you guys would get at least one more game in Riga.

Also I hope this results in a hockey boom in Latvia that will see more young talent from your country in the NHL in the not too distant future.

Reactions: Cinderblox and LKI

Hockeyfrilla

Swe prospect fanatic
May 25, 2008
Sweden

Latvian fans gathered outside swedish ambassy and singing Abba's " The winner takes it all"

Rcknrollkillnmachine

Sep 22, 2017
Finland

Latvian fans gathered outside swedish ambassy and singing Abba's " The winner takes it all"
That is amazing!

Congrats Latvija. I'm rooting for you for Saturday.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad