GDT: Sweden - Denmark

Sofaw

Jan 3, 2016
And as you might know both Bödker and N. Jensen are former NHL’ers

Btw @ Marras where are you?

Jan

Jan 30, 2021
Pure red'n'white Danish dynamite - booom there goes Sweden!
For the first time ever in Worldchampionships, remember.
Denmark are ...dejligt (lovely) even in hockey nowadays:nod:.

Led by Jokerit KHL-star Nicklas Jensen.

Every goal Denmark made in this game was a real (Madrid) beauty.

The only line in Sweden that even stepped up against the Danes for a dance in this game were their fourth-line. That really says it all ...

One have to remember that the four line of the swedes, was also mainly playing the Danish fourth line.

Small nations, like Denamark tent to have a slimmer troop, than the larger team.
They more often have a first line that can compete, but their four line is almost always the weak lines, of small hockey nations.
This was also basically what we saw in this game.

The surprise here was really, that the Swedish fourth line was not way better than the Danish, in this game.
This must also be reason for concerns in the Swedish camp. Really concerning....

Eye of Ra

Grandmaster General of the International boards
Nov 15, 2008
Malmö, Sweden
Team Sweden just basically lost to Denmark league All-Star....

Top 3 :

10 x from Denmark
6 x from DEL
5 x from SHL

why dont you do some research before talking. all this so called denmark league all star players are former good shlers. sweden lost to a denmark which have good nla players, del players, khl players and former good shlers and many of those guys is good enough for best possible team denmark and they have chemistry. sweden meanwhile have a team full of half good shlers and khlers and 3 good nhlers with no chemistry. this is the worst team sweden ever on paper. so denmark winning is not that suprising.

jj cale

Jan 5, 2016
Nova Scotia
I mean Klagenfurt is the best team in the league and they have always made an effort to have an A-grade goalie. Before Dahm, it was Haugen who moved there from the KHL/SHL.
Sweden just needs it stars that's all, tough for them to take out teams like Denmark without them.

SoundAndFury

May 28, 2012
Sweden just needs it stars that's all, tough for them to take out teams like Denmark without them.
Not wrong. But the between Sweden and Canada is also in expectations which is the part you seem to be missing. Both are expected to win against Denmark but it's different levels of surprising if they don't.

jj cale

Jan 5, 2016
Nova Scotia
Not wrong. But the between Sweden and Canada is also in expectations which is the part you seem to be missing. Both are expected to win against Denmark but it's different levels of surprising if they don't.
You're right, I'm not wrong, but I already knew that anyway.

It only took a few hours from last nights banter to prove it.

SoundAndFury

May 28, 2012
You're right, I'm not wrong, but I already knew that anyway.

It only took a few hours from last nights banter to prove it.
I don't think anyone was arguing that all along. Nobody was stating other big teams don't suffer unexpected losses, point was that when it's Canada they are the most unexpected. Due to Canada being Canada, mostly having fully NHL rosters, a handful of legitimate NHL stars, etc.

jj cale

Jan 5, 2016
Nova Scotia
I don't think anyone was arguing that all along. Nobody was stating other big teams don't suffer unexpected losses, point was that when it's Canada they are the most unexpected. Due to Canada being Canada, mostly having fully NHL rosters, a handful of legitimate NHL stars, etc.
You seem more reasonable and conciliatory today, wonder why that could be?

Enjoy the tournament.

jj cale

Jan 5, 2016
Nova Scotia
I think that's mostly about not being called "troll" and whatnot for no real reason.

You too.
I think it's because it took only one sleep for me to be proven right that it was rubbish about the " Canada is the only one who always needs it's stars" and " ALWAYS" weak on big ice" statements. But if you say it's about troll comments i'll give you the benefit of the possible doubt.

:thumbu:

Jan

Jan 30, 2021
Sweden just need their stars?

Well that is funny. I would have expected it to mean more for Denmark to get example Bjorkstrand and Nielsen back, that it seems to mean for Sweden to get five NHL'ers back.
With only one NHL'er of Denmark, and the one least settle in his team, I would say that Team Denmark has procentens more to gain from missing/possibly NHL'er, than Sweden with at least five of theirs.

Also I would expect that the replacement, on the Swedish, from those not accepted/allowed to play, to be far better than what Team Denmark would be able to replace with.
I would expect that Sweden would be the team with dept, and not team Denmark.

No my friend, this is a situation where Team Sweden got more home and the Denmark won.
They won because they played as a team, where Sweden played like a group of disconnected individual, trying to showcase themselves and failed.
Yes Sweden lost, because the didn't play as a team.

Reactions: Husqvarna

Chimpradamus

Feb 16, 2006
Northern Sweden
So I guess @Eye of Ra was right about Sweden being outside of top 6 :sarcasm:
I know you're just being sarcastic, but that guy was talking about the best fielded team Sweden can muster, instead of having some C- rate defenseman from some Swiss team named after a napkin* as the captain.

*servett = napkin in Swedish

Husqvarna

Jan 5, 2019
About NHL:ers ... the best Swedish player in the point statistics this year was Nicklas Bäckström of Washington fame; and he is like 100 years old ... eh, born 1987.;)

Three Finland chaps put up more points than him in NHL this season, what about that Sweden?!:DD

Sweden has a plethora of NHL-players but are they any/that good?!

Chimpradamus

Feb 16, 2006
Northern Sweden
About NHL:ers ... the best Swedish player in the point statistics this year was Nicklas Bäckström of Washington fame; and he is like 100 years old ... eh, born 1987.;)

Three Finland chaps put up more points than him in NHL this season, what about that Sweden?!:DD

I don't know if you know that there are about 20 players on a hockey team. That Finland has some upcoming stars doesn't change that Sweden has very good depth in all positions that can do the job. Most Swedish quality forwards play on struggling or poor teams, which will result in worse production. Just because Finland has Barkov or Aho it doesn't mean Zibanejad or Forsberg become harmless. Finland has evened the playing field on forwards a bit (Sweden still has better depth) and they even have a struggling Heiskanen on defense, but Sweden still blows Finland out of the water at defense. And Finland has alot more great goalies as usual, too bad for Finland you can only play one at a time.

Your argument isn't that good. You don't win international games by winning point races in the NHL. Pettersson had an injury and Zibanejad had covid, two of the best forwards.

marras87

May 9, 2021
Gentofte, Denmark
And as you might know both Bödker and N. Jensen are former NHL’ers

Btw @ Marras where are you?

I'am here, just a bit late I guees:)

Huge win obviously. Had hoped for a close game, but to get all three points? That was unexpected.

Kudos to the players and the coaching staff.

This also looks promising for the olympic qualification in August, if this is the structur and disciplin, Heinz Ehlers has implemented.

Last edited:

Seiza

Feb 28, 2002
Sweden
I wouldn't watch the WC if my life depended on it, but I'm amazed to hear Denmark beating even this C-level Tre Kronor.

Congrats to our Danish brothers. Huge win!

Eye of Ra

Grandmaster General of the International boards
Nov 15, 2008
Malmö, Sweden

no, finns top 4 players are better than swedens top 4 players. but after that i would say its even.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad