Waived: Sven Andrighetto on waivers! (cleared)

Treb

Global Flanderator
May 31, 2011
Montreal
This time of year every team has guys who would be subject to waivers if they pick up a player on waivers from another team...NHL teams have to be pretty sure about a young player from another team to take that chance....as a rule they will still have some faith in the young guys on their own team as they usually drafted him and know him better. Just because Andrighetto passed through waivers doesn't mean he'll never make it.

Indeed, you just have to look at Hoffman as a recent year example of player that went through waivers and panned out.

Still think he may have a hard time finding a spot if Radulov re-sign (or if we sign another top-9).

scrubadam

Apr 10, 2016
Did anyone here MT on 690?

This thread seems pretty off after listening to MT.

Don't worry the habs don't think Ghetto's career is over.

Hoople

Mar 7, 2011
No doubt about Ghetto clearing. A small forward who avoids the dirty areas and contact. Carr and Lekhonen are much better. Ghetto will be fighting to get out of the shadow of Audette, Hudon and others.

Needs to learn to be physical.

znk

Nov 5, 2005
Montreal
Why does everything have to be Bergevin lovers and haters? Cant it be one hockey fan who look at one decision and decides how he feels about it without getting called a MB lover ? I'm not pro X or anti Y but what is really disgusting right now is there is a group of fans who actually hate this team right now and who made it their mission to be as toxic as possible with the rest of the fanbase. My suggestion is find an other team, move on and let this board start talking about hockey again.

If ****ing Andrighetto on waivers makes you climb up the curtains and start calling everyone who didnt mind the move a MB lover or whatever then you need to look at yourself in the mirror and ask yourself what kind of credibility you are left with. Seriously get a ****ing grip. I avoided this board for nearly 3 years and I really regret checking back in and I'm checking back out. Because frankly this is not the place to get rational hockey information right now. If you've been on reddit and seen the **** that comes out of r/The_Donald, well we have a group here that's pretty much on the same kind of mission.

Habs100

Nov 6, 2013
No doubt about Ghetto clearing. A small forward who avoids the dirty areas and contact. Carr and Lekhonen are much better. Ghetto will be fighting to get out of the shadow of Audette, Hudon and others.

Needs to learn to be physical.

I find Ghetto creates a lot of chances for his linemates by using his speed and grit on the forecheck.

montreal

Go Habs Go
Mar 21, 2002
www.youtube.com
I wouldn't give up on Ghetto yet, he needs to work on his defensive game and get stronger but he does have the speed and a good shot. He they have kept him up all year and played him on the 2nd line LW I do think he could have put up 35-40 pts. I don't think Carr is really better then him in terms of skill, he just has a higher compete level, better defensive game and is willing to pay the price.

FloJack

Lurking and liking.
Sponsor
Sep 6, 2006
Why does everything have to be Bergevin lovers and haters? Cant it be one hockey fan who look at one decision and decides how he feels about it without getting called a MB lover ? I'm not pro X or anti Y but what is really disgusting right now is there is a group of fans who actually hate this team right now and who made it their mission to be as toxic as possible with the rest of the fanbase. My suggestion is find an other team, move on and let this board start talking about hockey again.

If ****ing Andrighetto on waivers makes you climb up the curtains and start calling everyone who didnt mind the move a MB lover or whatever then you need to look at yourself in the mirror and ask yourself what kind of credibility you are left with. Seriously get a ****ing grip. I avoided this board for nearly 3 years and I really regret checking back in and I'm checking back out. Because frankly this is not the place to get rational hockey information right now. If you've been on reddit and seen the **** that comes out of r/The_Donald, well we have a group here that's pretty much on the same kind of mission.

Bye znk, thanks for leaving with a great post.

Jul 6, 2016

I love this post A LOT !!!!

:yo:

Devourers

Sep 20, 2013
Montreal
I'm far from an MB lover but I still agreed with waiving Ghetto. It isn't about MB lover/hater for me. I can fully give him or even MT credit where it's due, just like I can criticize them for their faults. (Putting DD on the shootout... come on MT :shakehead)

That being said, it was obvious to me that Ghetto needed to be the one waived. Somebody had to be waived and I'd rather risk losing him for nothing but keep him than trade him for a bag of pucks. Clearly given that he cleared, we wouldn't have been able to get anything for him. I think he can eventually be a 3rd liner, whether or not that's with us I can't say, but waiving Ghetto is far from a valid reason to criticize MB.

Fact: Lehkonen, Carr and even if you wanna go further McCarron all outplayed him in the preseason. The blame is on Ghetto for being waived, not MB for doing what he had to do. Ghetto will get another chance when an inevitable injury happens.

Jul 6, 2016
I'm far from an MB lover but I still agreed with waiving Ghetto. It isn't about MB lover/hater for me. I can fully give him or even MT credit where it's due, just like I can criticize them for their faults. (Putting DD on the shootout... come on MT :shakehead)

That being said, it was obvious to me that Ghetto needed to be the one waived. Somebody had to be waived and I'd rather risk losing him for nothing but keep him than trade him for a bag of pucks. Clearly given that he cleared, we wouldn't have been able to get anything for him. I think he can eventually be a 3rd liner, whether or not that's with us I can't say, but waiving Ghetto is far from a valid reason to criticize MB.

Fact: Lehkonen, Carr and even if you wanna go further McCarron all outplayed him in the preseason. The blame is on Ghetto for being waived, not MB for doing what he had to do. Ghetto will get another chance when an inevitable injury happens.

... or will be dealt for bag of pucks like Thomas, Tinordi, Tokarski, or let out to dry like Dumont and Bournival.

scrubadam

Apr 10, 2016
... or will be dealt for bag of pucks like Thomas, Tinordi, Tokarski, or let out to dry like Dumont and Bournival.

and a bag of pucks is better than those players, at least the pucks will get to the back of an NHL net :amazed::amazed::amazed:

Ghetto was sent down because he can still learn and play in the AHL. Its a waste for him to sit in the press box doing nothing let him play in the AHL. Flynn can sit in the press box he is a vet its fine.

MT said it, Briere was waived twice and still had a great career. The habs don't see this waiver as the end of Ghetto. He lost his spot to others but the season is long, injuries and slumps will happen and the team needs the depth. I don't think we have seen the last of Ghetto in MTL.

This was a calculated risk taken by MB and he took advantage of good timing. Good young guys had already gone through waivers (Frk,Griffith,etc...) and teams are pretty set with their rosters now. The odds of Ghetto being claimed were very low so it was the right time to send him down. If he would of done this a week ago very good chance Ghetto is claimed.

Runner77

Sponsor
Jun 24, 2012
I don't know why Ghetto performed so poorly during pre-season games. Whatever it was, he can't do worse from here on. It's gotta be a major wake up call for him to see 29 teams pass on him. Maybe he just ends up in Europe and that's the end of that.

Habs100

Nov 6, 2013
I like Andrighetto a lot

but the LASt thing our line up needs right now is another 5"9 player.

We certainly need speed in our lineup. If one of our quicker but smaller players goes down, his speed will be useful. That could be his chance to make an impression.

CupInSIX

My cap runneth over
Jul 1, 2012
Alphaville
I like Andrighetto a lot

but the LASt thing our line up needs right now is another 5"9 player.

I don't mind him, but he clearly regressed this preseason. Hopefully he finds his game again because if history is any indication, injuries will pile up, scoring will be tough and they'll need him.

ib4 preseason is absolutely meaningless and players can coast as much as they like

CHaracter79

Apr 21, 2014
We certainly need speed in our lineup. If one of our quicker but smaller players goes down, his speed will be useful. That could be his chance to make an impression.

do we really need speed that urgently?

byron, lekhonen, chucky,patches, gally, danault and mitchell arent exactly slow.

plek has lost some speed as has DD and carr isnt fleetfooted

but to call the team slow isnt right.

our D has lost some speed with barberio and subban being replaced by sergachev and weber. but emelin and markov are on their way out in a year or so.

and BEaulieu minutes will increase playing with weber. so it kinda balances out.
if McCarron replaces DD our speed doesnt really improve even though he is pretty quick for a biggie.

BaseballCoach

Dec 15, 2006
do we really need speed that urgently?

byron, lekhonen, chucky,patches, gally, danault and mitchell arent exactly slow.

plek has lost some speed as has DD and carr isnt fleetfooted

but to call the team slow isnt right.

our D has lost some speed with barberio and subban being replaced by sergachev and weber. but emelin and markov are on their way out in a year or so.

and BEaulieu minutes will increase playing with weber. so it kinda balances out.
if McCarron replaces DD our speed doesnt really improve even though he is pretty quick for a biggie.

Sergachev is not slower than Barberio and is faster than Pateryn. Weber is about as fast as Subban, not quibbling about 2% at this point either way.. In fact, in OT did you see how fast he moved up on a 3-on-1 for us?

ECWHSWI

TOUGHEN UP.
Oct 27, 2006
Sergachev is not slower than Barberio and is faster than Pateryn. Weber is about as fast as Subban, not quibbling about 2% at this point either way.. In fact, in OT did you see how fast he moved up on a 3-on-1 for us?

the Habs are NOT a fast paced team. NOt at all. Not even average.

defense corp is slow
forward group is slow

Mr. Hab

Nov 17, 2004
Montreal
I like Andrighetto a lot

but the LaSt thing our line up needs right now is another 5"9 player.

Unless....your remove someone even shorter than 5'9 to make room for Ghetto!!
(ex: 5'5 Desharnais!!).

Out...DD.
IN...Ghetto.

Andrighetto - Shaw - Carr

Near future...:
Carr - McCarron - Shaw

get25

Oct 17, 2015
I'm stunned he cleared. I guess everyone else is near the 50 contract limit? :dunno:
It is not about the 50 contracts limit.
It is about the 23 players in the roster and the ones that have enough "experience" to be claimed. In this case, Ghetto has three years of pro experience.

For example, Carr would not need to go through waivers to be sent in AHL because he has two years of pro experience.

Also Ghetto (2014) signed his contract sooner than Carr (2015 his first year was an AHL contract I think).

For more details: this.

CauZuki

Feb 19, 2008
6 pts in 3 games playing with McCarron, AHL player of the week.

Goodjob Ghetto prove em wrong!

Ad

Upcoming events

• USA vs Sweden
    USA vs Sweden
    Wagers: 3
    Staked: $1,050.00
    Event closes
    • Updated:
  • Finland vs Czechia
    Finland vs Czechia
    Wagers: 1