Waived: Sven Andrighetto on waivers! (cleared)

OldCraig71

Feb 2, 2009
No one cares
Ghetto showed nothing that is not readily available in todays NHL, most of it already playing in the AHL affiliate of most NHL teams. He therefore goes unclaimed, a tough place for him, having to go back to the minors when maybe he felt that he was past that. Pro athletes make big money but they do in many respects have a tough life when it comes to contract/injury and plenty of other things.

Paddyjack

Dec 10, 2007
Sherbrooke
Would love to know amongst the MB lovers who BEFORE NOON TODAY, actually STATED that they were sure he was not going to be claimed. Those are the ones who could laugh and told us so. The others who just decided to use hindsight AFTER NOON to tell us how we panicked for nothing are funny. The risk was there. Bergevin thinks it was worth it 'cause he doesn't think highly of the guy. He might be right in the end. That's something we will know in a few years. Personnally, I don't think Ghetto will evidently amount to anything great. I think he did plateaued. My personal point was mostly about losing a guy for nothing when you couldn't even get a Jonathan Racine for him while you were able to get him for a Tim Bozon. The fact that we are about to send Sergachev in Juniors hence having an extra spot available. And the fact that Brian Flynn is nothing to drool over.

Same people who are now saying how Flynn is more valuable would IMMEDIATELY say how unimportant he is if Bergevin would put him on waivers.

Why is this about being a MB lover. I don't care about MB at all but I was pretty sure he would clear waivers, simply because I never was on the Ghetto bandwagon and I believe players such as him are a dime a dozen in the NHL.

covfefe

Zoltan Poszar's Burner
Feb 5, 2014
And this is why the show is getting dull.

So many scrubs on guaranteed contracts around the league....teams can't even claim a 800k cap hit.

I guess you missed what McDavid/Matthews have been up to lately?

MrNasty

Jun 13, 2007
Nova Scotia
The Habs won't win any championships if all they can draft is one Andrighetto after the other. Let him shine in the AHL. Fans in small cities can use some entertainment too.

This is soooo HF
Andrighetto has had more NHL success than 28 other players drafted in the 3rd round in 2013.

Not all picks or prospects become nhl stars.

Habs100

Nov 6, 2013
This is soooo HF
Andrighetto has had more NHL success than 28 other players drafted in the 3rd round in 2013.

Not all picks or prospects become nhl stars.

If management has given up on Ghetto, as exposing him to the risk of losing him for nothing on waivers would indicate, all I can say is I disagree. I think the potential is there for him to be a 20 goal, 40 point guy.

Link67

Oct 8, 2016
If management has given up on Ghetto, as exposing him to the risk of losing him for nothing on waivers would indicate, all I can say is I disagree. I think the potential is there for him to be a 20 goal, 40 point guy.

I agree to a certain extent, I think he could be a productive 3rd line guy or even a decent 2nd line option and hover around the 20 goal mark. With that said it is pretty hard to argue that not one team picked him up while he was free and on about as cap friendly a contract a potential 15 goal guy can be on.

Habsrule

Jun 13, 2004
In my mind the problem is his lack of size. He realistically is a bottom six offensive player. He does not have the skill to jump in to the current top six. Desharnais is third line center so him being another small player on the third line is not much of an option. Then on the fourth line Byron plays there. He is a great penalty killer. Their is no real spot for him in the lineup.

I think that management is going size first over skill right now and McCarron should be the first call up.

muzion

Oct 5, 2007
St-Hubert, Québec
Playing with Desharnais (who I hate) at the end of last year, he got a ton of opportunities to score, and he couldn't finish. His shot isn't good enough and doesn't use his speed to his benefit. As good as he was in the QMJHL he never improved. I saw one game of his at the World Championship, and I thought he looked better than he ever did with us. He should go to Europe and come back in a few years.

Chili

En boca cerrada no entran moscas
Jun 10, 2004
Who knows where it goes from here for him. Would not be surprised to see a 'my young player who fell down the depth chart for your same' deals (like Thomas for Lessio) or as others have said he ends up in Europe next year. I see Lessio signed in the KHL yesterday.

Maliki2

Mar 31, 2005
Saint Albans, VT
Guess all the other teams management thought the same thing about Ghetto. Nothing special there are plenty of other people who bring what he does. Only here do we get excited over some guy that doesn't bring much.

David Suzuki

Aug 25, 2010
New Brunswick
Would love to know amongst the MB lovers who BEFORE NOON TODAY, actually STATED that they were sure he was not going to be claimed. Those are the ones who could laugh and told us so. The others who just decided to use hindsight AFTER NOON to tell us how we panicked for nothing are funny. The risk was there. Bergevin thinks it was worth it 'cause he doesn't think highly of the guy. He might be right in the end. That's something we will know in a few years. Personnally, I don't think Ghetto will evidently amount to anything great. I think he did plateaued. My personal point was mostly about losing a guy for nothing when you couldn't even get a Jonathan Racine for him while you were able to get him for a Tim Bozon. The fact that we are about to send Sergachev in Juniors hence having an extra spot available. And the fact that Brian Flynn is nothing to drool over.

Same people who are now saying how Flynn is more valuable would IMMEDIATELY say how unimportant he is if Bergevin would put him on waivers.

It's less about MB actually being a genius (I, for one, was joking) it's more about Ghetto being... just plain. He isn't that good. Of course he's going to clear for now. I still have a bit of faith he can put up 10-15 goals in the nhl, but I really couldn't see him being claimed by anyone.

Hackett

BAKAMAN
Mar 4, 2002
Visit site
His fate was sealed during the preseason. He was in a dogfight with lekhonen and Carr, and he just did not distinguish himself at all.

Carr brings that Gallagher type determination around the net. Lekhonen has been displaying his speed, smarts and tenacity. But I can't quite put an identity on ghetto, even though I know he's capable of being a skilled player.... it just has not materialized into much at the NHL level.

HuGo Sham

MR. CLEAN-up ©Runner77
Apr 7, 2010
Montreal
His fate was sealed during the preseason. He was in a dogfight with lekhonen and Carr, and he just did not distinguish himself at all.

Carr brings that Gallagher type determination around the net. Lekhonen has been displaying his speed, smarts and tenacity. But I can't quite put an identity on ghetto, even though I know he's capable of being a skilled player.... it just has not materialized into much at the NHL level.
ghetto has speed and nothing else. there is no jam to his game, no ability to win puck battles or create space. he's not made for the NHL - unless a team with size can use him on the wing.

BaseballCoach

Dec 15, 2006
Is'nt it 2/3 of his salary counting against the cap if sent down? 1/3 of money saved on his contract would be enough to make room for big Mac.

No, that's not how it works.

The cap hit salary of a player with an NHL contract who plays in the AHL (or Europe) counts against the NHL cap, except for the first $950,000. So, since Andrighetto has a 650,000 AAV, ZERO is charged to the Habs cap.

If Desharnais were sent down, $2,550,000 would be charged to the cap.

When Barberio was sent down, his $750,000 salary did not count against the cap. There is in fact no Habs player in St. John's earning more than $950,000.

Last edited:

Kimota

ROY DU NORD!!!
Nov 4, 2005
Les Plaines D'Abraham
It's incredible how for the lovers, there's actually NOTHING that Bergevin does that isn't right. Incredibly enough, Bergevin got most of those guys. Which was incredible for him to do. And when he loses them, it's no big deal 'cause....they weren't incredible to begin with. NOTHING will ever be a problem. And how that is better than people who keeps bashing him everytime....I have no idea. Well I actually have an idea...IT'S NOT BETTER. It is just as blind. And at worst, when Bergevin do make a mistake....the lovers comes back with..."Well **** happens". And again...yeah, maybe so. But again, enough crucifixation of people who "seem" to always be negative as, again, the rose-colored ones are simply not better.

So MB lovers were saying what again? That FOR SURE he would not be picked? Well....a few did. Sure. But everybody who is having fun right now ONCE they know he wasn't claimed? Absolutely not. The risk was there. Louis Jean, who I don't think is a clown said that he knew for a fact that numerous teams were thinking of grabbing him. Did they do it? Nope. So they thought he actually wasn't good enough this time around. But if they were thinking about it...means the risk was there. And if Martin Frk was picked up...why wouldn't Ghetto be?

Who cares. It's about André Gateau. That there's even a debate about him is laughable. Flynn should be waived too.

Treb

Global Flanderator
May 31, 2011
Montreal
No, that's not how it works.

The AHL salary of a player with an NHL contract who plays in the AHL (or Europe) counts against the NHL cap, except for the first $950,000. So, since Andrighetto has a 650,000 1-way contract, ZERO is charged to the Habs cap.

If Desharnais were sent down, $2,550,000 would be charged to the cap.

When Barberio was sent down, his $750,000 salary did not count against the cap. When Terry was sent down, his AHL salary being $300,000, his cap hit again did not count. There is in fact no Habs player in St. John's earning more than $950,000.

NHL salary is what count against the cap. Terry's NHL salary being 600k it doesn't matter as it is under 950k, but the 300k AHL salary has no impact on the cap.

BaseballCoach

Dec 15, 2006
It's incredible how for the lovers, there's actually NOTHING that Bergevin does that isn't right. Incredibly enough, Bergevin got most of those guys. Which was incredible for him to do. And when he loses them, it's no big deal 'cause....they weren't incredible to begin with. NOTHING will ever be a problem. And how that is better than people who keeps bashing him everytime....I have no idea. Well I actually have an idea...IT'S NOT BETTER. It is just as blind. And at worst, when Bergevin do make a mistake....the lovers comes back with..."Well **** happens". And again...yeah, maybe so. But again, enough crucifixation of people who "seem" to always be negative as, again, the rose-colored ones are simply not better.

So MB lovers were saying what again? That FOR SURE he would not be picked? Well....a few did. Sure. But everybody who is having fun right now ONCE they know he wasn't claimed? Absolutely not. The risk was there. Louis Jean, who I don't think is a clown said that he knew for a fact that numerous teams were thinking of grabbing him. Did they do it? Nope. So they thought he actually wasn't good enough this time around. But if they were thinking about it...means the risk was there. And if Martin Frk was picked up...why wouldn't Ghetto be?

I happen to be someone who felt Andrighetto was overhyped on this board, partially because he was convenient hammer to hit Therrien with. Having said that, and even though I feel somewhat vindicated in that none of the 29 other GMs was ready to make room on his team right now for Andrighetto, I STILL maintain that we should have waived Flynn instead. The only story I would accept for not going that route is that Bergevin knew from talking to the other GMs that they would not claim Ghetto and that it is preferable for him to be in the AHL playing and Flynn in the pressbox, than vice versa.

Only thing is, I don't think Bergevin could actually know about and be sure of such a thing. So for me, it's another bullet dodged, like Lucic not signing here. :naughty:

LastWordArmy

Sep 11, 2011
Canada

He is the new Oleg Petrov. If he is ever a 20 goal guy, its cause he is playing for a terrible team.

Treb

Global Flanderator
May 31, 2011
Montreal
He is the new Oleg Petrov. If he is ever a 20 goal guy, its cause he is playing for a terrible team.

The problem is that he is not better than Gallagher, Radulov and Shaw on the RW and not better than Pacioretty, Lehkonen and Carr on the LW.

The 4th line not being a good place for him, he may be out of a spot next year too if Radulov re-sign (long term if Carr and Lehkonen stays too which they should as they will be RFA).

We might be better keeping in the AHL so he can rip it up and trade him in a package for an upgrade either at D (Emelin) or at C (DD) when the times come.

LastWordArmy

Sep 11, 2011
Canada
The problem is that he is not better than Gallagher, Radulov and Shaw on the RW and not better than Pacioretty, Lehkonen and Carr on the LW.

The 4th line not being a good place for him, he may be out of a spot next year too if Radulov re-sign (long term if Carr and Lehkonen stays too which they should as they will be RFA).

We might be better keeping in the AHL so he can rip it up and trade him in a package for an upgrade either at D (Emelin) or at C (DD) when the times come.

Sure, let him play in the AHL and then trade him. I'm fine with that.

Hes also going to face pressure from guys like Hudon, Scherbak, Bitten, Reway etc... in future years. I don't see a place for him in the future either.

Grant McCagg

@duhduhduh
Dec 13, 2010
Guess all the other teams management thought the same thing about Ghetto. Nothing special there are plenty of other people who bring what he does. Only here do we get excited over some guy that doesn't bring much.

This time of year every team has guys who would be subject to waivers if they pick up a player on waivers from another team...NHL teams have to be pretty sure about a young player from another team to take that chance....as a rule they will still have some faith in the young guys on their own team as they usually drafted him and know him better. Just because Andrighetto passed through waivers doesn't mean he'll never make it.

Ad

Upcoming events

• USA vs Sweden
    USA vs Sweden
    Wagers: 3
    Staked: $1,050.00
    Event closes
    • Updated:
  • Finland vs Czechia
    Finland vs Czechia
    Wagers: 1
    Staked: $200.00