Waived: Svechnikov waived amongst others

MBH

Players Play
Jul 20, 2019
SE Michigan
redwingsnow.com
Stronger based on what assessment? It's still the weakest draft in recent memory. You can find a couple of picks that project better than Rasmussen, but the draft class is still underwhelming as a whole.

My draft list at 9, after Vilardi fell, was
Vilardi
Thomas
Liljegren
Necas
Valimaki

Jury's out on some of these guys, but I'd still take all of them over Rasmussen, though I'm beginning to wonder what's happening with Liljegren.

Shaman464

No u
May 1, 2009
Boston, MA
Smith was drafted mid-second...
These guys generally take time,
Smith went from .2 points/game in his rookie AHL year to .5 points per game in year two.
This is a big year for Givani.
He more than doubled his production last year. If he can even get to .75 points per game this year, I think he's in fine position to win a job.
And Smith can be a punishing hitter and tough guy, too. So it's not all about production with him.
With Abby gone, Helm leaving, Smith seems like a good bit to fill a grinder role. The problem is that he doesn't kill penalties and it feels like the Wings need some of that.

The thing I liked with Givani's intercepted Larkin pass and breakaway goal is that he pulled away from the defenders with the puck on his stick. He's got decent speed for a 6'2, 210 pound winger.

His speed is okay, but his skating overall is holding him back. And his "doubled production" was over a pretty short time period, only 37 games. He will need to show he can even sustain it before we talk about him increasing on it. And his stint in the NHL wasn't great. And the US is up to its eyeballs in mediocre forwards.

jaster

Take me off ignore, please.
Jun 8, 2007
Maybe you waive Bernier. Though I think Neddy might be just about done as a prospect. He could bounce back like Binnington.
I think I'd keep Bernier and trade him at the deadline.

Waiving Bernier would be moronic. Even trading him might be, depending on how he and Greiss perform this year. I like Greiss, but he's stepping to a team that is near the complete opposite of where he's coming from. Bernier proved that he could be an outstanding goalie on one of the worst teams of the century. Greiss has proven nothing of the sort. It should shock no one if Greiss turns in a real shitty season.

Henkka

Jan 31, 2004
Tampere, Finland
Smith turns 23 next month, he's likely an lifetime AHLer who gets some stints in the NHL as a bottom line filler when the injury bug bites.

Or he will be physical 4th line pest/hitter grinder/lose pucks winner + gets some stints on PP.

Thats the player I've seen on him.

RedMenace

Jul 24, 2006
www.ShattenkirksKrakenshirt.net
Maybe you waive Bernier. Though I think Neddy might be just about done as a prospect. He could bounce back like Binnington.
I think I'd keep Bernier and trade him at the deadline.

Yeah, I don't think it's worth giving up Bernier at this point, but if you're in the "finish as last as possible" crowd it might help. :laugh:

Waiving Bernier would be moronic. Even trading him might be, depending on how he and Greiss perform this year. I like Greiss, but he's stepping to a team that is near the complete opposite of where he's coming from. Bernier proved that he could be an outstanding goalie on one of the worst teams of the century. Greiss has proven nothing of the sort. It should shock no one if Greiss turns in a real shitty season.

Even from the scrimmages, Greiss looked like the starter... that's not to say I'd get rid of Bernier at all, but tanking is a hell of a drug.

And remember kids: Winners only use drugs occasionally.

Reactions: Gniwder and Henkka

raymond23

Go Griffs Go
Sponsor
Sep 28, 2017
Grand Rapids, MI
Smith is no guarantee, but he's still trending towards a full-time NHL job at some point. Too soon to write him off as a career AHLer.

Smith should be on the roster. He earned it last year plus did well in the scrimmages. He’s hard to play against unlike 85% of our roster

jaster

Jun 8, 2007
Even from the scrimmages, Greiss looked like the starter... that's not to say I'd get rid of Bernier at all, but tanking is a hell of a drug.

And remember kids: Winners only use drugs occasionally.

I put a lot more stock in last season than I do in a couple scrimmages after a massive layoff. Much larger sample size and much more meaningful games. Bernier should start Thursday night. I expect him to not be as good as last season simply because that performance was probably not sustainable and he'll be due for some regression. Greiss I give a 50% chance of having a good-to-ok season that matches or could slightly exceed Bernier's season, and a 50% of being completely dummied.

Pavels Dog

Feb 18, 2013
Sweden
Smith turns 23 next month, he's likely an lifetime AHLer who gets some stints in the NHL as a bottom line filler when the injury bug bites.
He was also just barely 22 the last time he played hockey and made significant improvements from rookie to sophomore AHL season. He's not a worldbeater but damn some of you guys count out every prospect who isn't established in the NHL by 21.

Reactions: saska sault

Ghost of Ethan Hunt

The Official Ghost of Space Ghosts Monkey
Jun 23, 2018
Top Secret Moon Base
givani smith
Smith should be on the roster. He earned it last year plus did well in the scrimmages. He’s hard to play against unlike 85% of our roster
75 PIM's in 37gp in AHL '19-'20. Basically 1 minor every game, that needs to decrease, though I don't know how many were fighting majors etc. He did cut PIM's back in NHL in a small sample size of 21gp/9pims. I like the size/physicality/snarl, some more GR seasoning wouldn't hurt, then up in 21-22 asa 13th/14th F when there's less of a logjam.

RedMenace

Jul 24, 2006
www.ShattenkirksKrakenshirt.net
I put a lot more stock in last season than I do in a couple scrimmages after a massive layoff. Much larger sample size and much more meaningful games. Bernier should start Thursday night. I expect him to not be as good as last season simply because that performance was probably not sustainable and he'll be due for some regression. Greiss I give a 50% chance of having a good-to-ok season that matches or could slightly exceed Bernier's season, and a 50% of being completely dummied.

Hah, I mean, that's fair. I've always thought of Greiss as a 1B, and Bernier as a 2, but if nothing else the goatlending should be much better this season regardless.

Should be.

Reactions: Henkka and jaster

Lil Sebastian Cossa

Opinions are share are my own personal opinions.
Jul 6, 2012
Hah, I mean, that's fair. I've always thought of Greiss as a 1B, and Bernier as a 2, but if nothing else the goatlending should be much better this season regardless.

Should be.

Bernier and Greiss are a 2a/2b combo. They’re both okay players, not upper end guys. But you definitely shouldn’t go crazy picking up some other dude off of waivers to throw another guy in the mix.

Reactions: RedMenace

MBH

Players Play
Jul 20, 2019
SE Michigan
redwingsnow.com

Bernier is a replacement-level player - like Greiss.
I fully expect Yzerman to consider trading Bernier at the end of the season - if he has any market value.

MBH

Players Play
Jul 20, 2019
SE Michigan
redwingsnow.com

My guess is that whoever the starter is will have significantly better numbers.
A lot of goalies struggle with infrequent action.
Bernier is one of them.
He looked like crap until he finally got action in Detroit in the second half of his first season.
And last year, once Blashill finally went away from Howard, Bernier's numbers improved again.
But I don't think either goalie is a very good goalie.
Clearly above Calvin Pickard level mediocrity... Good enough to hang around the NHL for a long time.

jaster

Jun 8, 2007
Bernier is a replacement-level player - like Greiss.
I fully expect Yzerman to consider trading Bernier at the end of the season - if he has any market value.

Replacement-level looking at his career, probably. Replacement-level looking at his performance the last 2/3 of last season? Not even close. He was easily a top-10 goalie most of the way.

Again, waiving Bernier (right now) would be moronic. Given the condensed schedule and the amplified importance of having two competent goalies this season, he’s damn near untouchable right now.

jaster

Jun 8, 2007
So defensive about all this mediocrity.
Neddy was once a highly regarded goalie prospect.
If he was, I wouldn't have a problem ditching Bernier and running with him.

Effing gross.

jaster

Jun 8, 2007
My guess is that whoever the starter is will have significantly better numbers.
A lot of goalies struggle with infrequent action.
Bernier is one of them.
He looked like crap until he finally got action in Detroit in the second half of his first season.
And last year, once Blashill finally went away from Howard, Bernier's numbers improved again.
But I don't think either goalie is a very good goalie.
Clearly above Calvin Pickard level mediocrity... Good enough to hang around the NHL for a long time.

Goalies are finicky. Much more up and down than skaters. It’s easy to look at Bernier’s and Greiss’s careers and call them average. Because that’s true. But we’re looking at right now, and last season is the best sample size we have. Wings should have no interest in ditching either of them at this point, especially for an unproven goalie who just got waived.

Henkka

Jan 31, 2004
Tampere, Finland
givani smith

75 PIM's in 37gp in AHL '19-'20. Basically 1 minor every game, that needs to decrease, though I don't know how many were fighting majors etc. He did cut PIM's back in NHL in a small sample size of 21gp/9pims. I like the size/physicality/snarl, some more GR seasoning wouldn't hurt, then up in 21-22 asa 13th/14th F when there's less of a logjam.

How about checking those stats from game log before entering any lazy opinions on this board? It took 3 mouse clicks from me to find that information from THEAHL.com and check it fast.

Givani Smith had only 13 minors in 37 games which did cause PP for opponent.

So it was very far from "basically a 1 minor per game". He had multiple 5-minute majors for fighting and 10 minute misconducts raising the numbers. He also had multiple 2 min roughing penalties, where opposite player also got a 2 min penalty. So his penalties are mostly fine. They don't cause PP for opposite team. He just goes under opposite skin. A lovely player.

Last edited:

Ghost of Ethan Hunt

Jun 23, 2018
Top Secret Moon Base
Goalies are finicky. Much more up and down than skaters. It’s easy to look at Bernier’s and Greiss’s careers and call them average. Because that’s true. But we’re looking at right now, and last season is the best sample size we have. Wings should have no interest in ditching either of them at this point, especially for an unproven goalie who just got waived.
This ^.

Volatility for goalies is why I'm not a fan of med-high $ and/or term for contracts. Even when we're in our Cup window, I wanna go cheaper & younger preferably. Lundqvist's are the exception, not the norm.

How many times have we seen a young G come out of nowhere, or a career backup (Khudobin), maybe steal some wins & get his team in the playoffs, maybe steal a series or 2. Binnington's an extreme example, but looking at the opposite, how many so called starters end up 2nd fiddle & have to fight their way back, and/or lose their mojo altogether. Carey Price's contract was questionable the day it was signed. It's not gonna age well the last 3+ yrs, possibly sooner even.

Reactions: jaster

raymond23

Go Griffs Go
Sponsor
Sep 28, 2017
Grand Rapids, MI
How about checking those stats from game log before entering any lazy opinions on this board? It took 3 mouse clicks from me to find that information from THEAHL.com and check it fast.

Givani Smith had 15 minors in 37 games which did cause PP for opponent.

So it was very far from "basically a 1 minor per game". He had multiple 5-minute majors for fighting and 10 minute misconducts raising the numbers. He also had multiple 2 min roughing penalties, where opposite player also got a 2 min penalty. So his penalties are mostly fine. They don't cause PP for opposite team. He just goes under opposite skin. A lovely player.

Beating a dead horse at this point but I would rather have that than Nielsen/Erne bringing nothing to the table outside of experience. I want some f***ing fight on this team.

Ghost of Ethan Hunt

Jun 23, 2018
Top Secret Moon Base

Givani Smith had only 13 minors in 37 games which did cause PP for opponent.

One person's "lovely player" is another man's 13th/14th F in 21-22, or possibly after the deadline. I even prefaced my prior post with "I don't know how many were minor penalties". Jeez.

We're already paying Erne to do what Givani might do at the NHL level. Though Erne had an abysmal year along with most of our roster.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad